PFF: Jets Have Most Improved WR Corp in NFL

8 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Completely disagree.  We had a good roster last year.  The problem is we had the worst qb in the nfl by far.  You will see this year 

Objectively false. 

The QB was terrible AND the roster was terrible.  They're not mutually exclusive.

9 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Completely disagree.  We had a good roster last year.  The problem is we had the worst qb in the nfl by far.  You will see this year 

I am not so sure it was "good" but we have some talent. Both Gase and Williams seemed to intentionally force the players into schemes that did not fit them like at all..

Also, and few mention this but our OL was decent towards the end of last season and protected Sam well and he had most of the receivers back and he still sucked balls

That said I think we have a dramtically better roster this season. Night and Day

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am not so sure it was "good" but we have some talent. Both Gase and Williams seemed to intentionally force the players into schemes that did not fit them like at all..

Also, and few mention this but our OL was decent towards the end of last season and protected Sam well and he had most of the receivers back and he still sucked balls

That said I think we have a dramtically better roster this season. Night and Day

He had four of his best five games of the season over the last five games of the year, throwing 6 TDs to 3 ints, getting their only two wins of the season in that span. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

He had four of his best five games of the season over the last five games of the year, throwing 6 TDs to 3 ints, getting their only two wins of the season in that span. 

Just like he had 4 of his best games to finish the 2019 season.  Maybe some day he'll produce for more than a fourth of a season.  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Lawson also benefitted for most of his career by having all-world Geno Atkins opposite him. So that argument cuts both ways IMHO.

We will see. I actually think EDGE rushing is the most overrated aspect of defense in today's NFL. and sacks are also dramtically overrated as a statistic. In the modern NFL what really impacts games is pressure up the middle. Not saying our defense wont be better with a  really good EDGE rusher but it is nowhere near as valuable as 10-15 years ago when it was among the most important positions.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We will see. I actually think EDGE rushing is the most overrated aspect of defense in today's NFL. and sacks are also dramtically overrated as a statistic. In the modern NFL what really impacts games is pressure up the middle. Not saying our defense wont be better with a  really good EDGE rusher but it is nowhere near as valuable as 10-15 years ago when it was among the most important positions.

Sure, but there aren't a bunch of Aaron Donald's running around.  Consistently getting pressure up the middle is extremely difficult to do, and you can't just send a bunch of A-gap blitzes to do so, either.  If you can't get pressure with your DT's, quality EDGE rushers are your next best option. 

Basically, you need to be able to flood the field with pass-rushers as best as possible (like the Bucs last season), which is exactly what the Saleh defense is going to try to do out of all 4 spots on the DL.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but there aren't a bunch of Aaron Donald's running around.  Consistently getting pressure up the middle is extremely difficult to do, and you can't just send a bunch of A-gap blitzes to do so, either.  If you can't get pressure with your DT's, quality EDGE rushers are your next best option. 

Basically, you need to be able to flood the field with pass-rushers as best as possible (like the Bucs last season), which is exactly what the Saleh defense is going to try to do out of all 4 spots on the DL.

Of course you are correct on Aaron Donald.  Guys one of a kind.  Maybe ever.

With that said, Douglas took a big gamble this off-season on a guy nobody is talking about, but may be a major impact player on this D.  Sheldon Rankins.

In 2018 Rankins looked like a really impactful DT.  8 sacks 15 QB hits, and 12 TFL.  Very excellent penatration, and disruption for a DT.   Not GREAT against the run, but was giving QB's night mares.  

Last game of the season he blew out his Achilles.  It was discovered that he had a deformity in both feet and had to have BOTH achilles re-done. 

Of course 2019 was a disaster.  2020 he showed strong signs of recovering with limited play.    He had 9 QB hits.    Of course he's saying he's 100% now.   

Have to assume Douglas liked what he saw at the end of the season on tape, and in the physical.  He gave him a 2 year contract.  Jets can escape second year with no damage.

Rankins is one of the players I am most interested in seeing in camp.  If Rankins can bring the interior penetration, along with Williams This DL will terrorize QB's

Here's hoping.  :)   

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, flgreen said:

With that said, Douglas took a big gamble this off-season on a guy nobody is talking about, but may be a major impact player on this D.  Sheldon Rankins.

In 2018 Rankins looked like a really impactful DT.  8 sacks 15 QB hits, and 12 TFL.  Very excellent penatration, and disruption for a DT.   Not GREAT against the run, but was giving QB's night mares.  

Last game of the season he blew out his Achilles.  It was discovered that he had a deformity in both feet and had to have BOTH achilles re-done. 

Of course 2019 was a diaster.  2020 he showed strong signs of recovering with limited play.    He had 9 QB hits.    Of course he's saying he's 100% now.   

Have to assume Douglas liked what he saw at the end of the season on tape, and in the physical.  He gave him a 2 year contract.  Jets can escape second year with no damage.

Rankins is one of the players I am most interested in seeing in camp.  If Rankins can bring the interior penetration, along with Williams This DL will terrorize QB's

I absolutely do like how we've done at all 4 spots on the DL, even at the other DE spot that is a question mark at the moment.  Rankins should have a quality season coming.  Pressure up the middle is indeed a priority and him and QW should do well at that in this system.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Seriously? They may be his best but they still suck . They are at best average games. And even in his "best" game against the Rams he completely disappeared after the first drive in 3rd quarter and was completely shut down and that was by far his best game.

Here are the stats: (see below)

The second to last is QB rating and Total QBR is the last column.

So in his last 5 games he went 89/146 or 60.9 percent completion rate,  6 TDs to 3 ints (ratio is good) but he threw 1,.2 TDs a game. 194 yards a game and and a passer rating of 85.59 and that is his BEST stretch. If you look at Total QBR which is not perfect but better than the standard QB rating he was well below average with one very good game but again the RAMS were like asleep and he disappeared in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Let's say he was at that level for an entire 16 games. Would 20 TDS 10 ints, 3014 yards and an 85.6 rating be OK to you? That QB rating would be 32nd in the NFL if he did it for an entire season only ahead of Jones, Lock, Newton and Wentz.  His yards per game would be only ahead of 2 QBs  in the NFL. that played 16 games.

We can all come up with excuses for Sam- bad coaching, no weapons, no QB coach, bad system, too many injuries blah blah blah but you basically defended him with the last 5 games and he was still not really even average and like I said the OL and weapons was definitely better. Let's also not forget that in one of the greatest unexplained mysteries in the universe, Gase was really quite good at scripting the first couple drives. He was the worst play caller ever after that but Sam did actually get a bump from that.

I defended Sam for the longest time till I was blue in the face and suffering from Carpal defending him in gameday threads, bit somewhere around the Rams game I realized he will never ever be good and by any objective analysis and even at his absolute best Darnold is just bad.

Sam Darnold is a QB with a huge rating out of college largely due to a single game, and a good Pro Day (not remotely close to Wilson's btw) In the rain. Yet I still hear every day that he will now become good on Carolina. Why does anyone think that..

image.thumb.png.d3e55564d8dff05ffea1c90bae5426ca.png

image.png

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Of course 2019 was a diaster.  2020 he showed strong signs of recovering with limited play.    He had 9 QB hits.    Of course he's saying he's 100% now.   

100% recovery from 2 Achilles seems so unlikely though. Much much worse than an ACL these days but your statements are definitely correct, if he can return to form he could be a force. We should not sleep on Huff either. He has some skills and actual strong performance numbers in the limited times bountydweeb actually gave him a chance.

• Upvote 1