Jets’ undrafted free agent Isaiah Dunn makes his case for starting corner

if we have corners who can play professional defense we might have a decent defense - in this scheme they don’t need to be shutdown guys but if they’re effective at executing the scheme the dl will be stupid good - just like on offense there are too many questions for any certainty at this early point but no reason not to be hopeful

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

good for this guy.  i have a feeling we'll be seeing more of a team defense concept instead of having a shut down corner.  the corners just need to make sure they're in the right spot and take responsibility to cover the right guy.

Problem is I don’t know where the pass rush is going to come from. Saleh is going to have to blitz and leave the young secondary out on an island plenty. Starting opposing QBs and WRs is a good fantasy strategy this season.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Problem is I don’t know where the pass rush is going to come from. Saleh is going to have to blitz and leave the young secondary out on an island plenty. Starting opposing QBs and WRs is a good fantasy strategy this season.

Isn't it more likely he blitzes no one and drops back 7?  Front 4 has to find a way to get the job done.  They're the ones on an island, in a sense.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't it more likely he blitzes no one and drops back 7?  Front 4 has to find a way to get the job done.  They're the ones on an island, in a sense.

I dunno give a QB all day and almost all of them can pick you apart. Someone will always get open.

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

I dunno give a QB all day and almost all of them can pick you apart. Someone will always get open.

Right but that's what Saleh's system dictates.  Getting pressure out of the front 4.  I'm not saying it'll work.  At least not right away.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Why do you assume the QB will have all day to pick us apart?  
Salehs D is not a blitz and leave. Orders in man coverage D.  

6 hours ago, jgb said:

I think a front of Q, Rankins, Lawson and JFM should be pretty good at getting some pressure. I don't think it will be an elite unit in that regard but I doubt they'll be useless either.

But yeah the secondary really is abysmal and I think we'll get picked apart. Maybe some late round gem emerges but there's a reason that's so rare. Normally when you're starting young undrafted or 6th/7th round guys it's pretty bad news. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do you assume the QB will have all day to pick us apart?  
Salehs D is not a blitz and leave. Orders in man coverage D.  

Huh? I said I’m concerned about where pass rush will come from. Who is assuming anything?

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but that's what Saleh's system dictates.  Getting pressure out of the front 4.  I'm not saying it'll work.  At least not right away.  

If you ain’t got the horses, a smart general changes his tactics. Everyone has lauded Saleh to the moon for his comments on adapting the system to fit the players not the other way around. Hope it’s not empty words.

15 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Bryce Hall is looking like a late round steal.

Hall did look good! I also think we drafted plenty of corners this year late in the draft hoping one or more will turn out to be an NFL starter. 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

If you ain’t got the horses, a smart general changes his tactics. Everyone has lauded Saleh to the moon for his comments on adapting the system to fit the players not the other way around. Hope it’s not empty words.

The other thing he and the staff talk about is the importance of fundamentals. I expect that to be the focus. This defense is predicated on the front four getting pressure, and the only FA work they did on defense, really, was adding pass rushers. I don’t expect to see a lot of blitzing, I do expect to see a lot of substitutions on the DL to keep the legs fresh and chasing after the QB. Lawson, QW, Rankins, Franklin-Meyers, Huff, Curry, Phillips... they have some talent there, I think they just roll with it. They don’t need sacks, just need to disrupt the passer. With the youth movement in the back seven, the priority will be everyone using proper technique and being in the right place. 

Again, I’m not expecting a ton of wins this season. I think it’s a foundational year, and installing the defense they want to run will take precedence over short term results. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Hall did look good! I also think we drafted plenty of corners this year late in the draft hoping one or more will turn out to be an NFL starter. 

I think he’s on his way to being at least a quality number 2 CB; which would be a huge building block for this team considering they haven’t used a first or second day draft pick on that position in years.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

I'm sure he will try to adapt where he can.  But I imagine a substantial portion of that adaptation will involve trying different guys on the front 4 and using stunts and stuff.  Maybe sending a 5th guy here and there.  But not necessarily sending the house on blitzes.  

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure he will try to adapt where he can.  But I imagine a substantial portion of that adaptation will involve trying different guys on the front 4 and using stunts and stuff.  Maybe sending a 5th guy here and there.  But not necessarily sending the house on blitzes.  

Yeah, there's a lot of daylight between no blitz and cover-zero.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll try it. I hypothesize that it will not be enough and Saleh will need to pick his poison between blitzing or leaving more guys in coverage and giving the QB more time.

What else is possible (even probable) is that he will approach different opponents different ways depending on the strengths and weaknesses of each.

For example, I'd bring the house enough to "ghost" Darnold game one. But against a FQB, perhaps not the right move.

23 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

By DJ BIEN-AIME II

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |

JUN 21, 2021 AT 7:00 AM

Undrafted free agent Isaiah Dunn has created a buzz throughout the offseason for all the right reasons.

Usually, undrafted rookies have an uphill battle to make the team and aren’t expected to contribute, but Dunn has been given the a chance to overcome those odds. Last Wednesday, the last day of mandatory minicamp, Dunn ran with the Jets first team. It’s not uncommon for coaches to give first year players first team reps. Dunn, if nothing else however, further proved his worth and had his strongest performance of the offseason and had moments when he put the clamps on some receivers.

Cornerbacks coach Tony Oden said after the session that Dunn was trending in the right direction.

“He’s working hard just like all our guys are,” Oden said. “Some of the things that we saw coming out that we still see now is that he is a smart player. He works at it... He wants to improve, he wants to get better. His arrow is trending upward.

During the first session of 11-on-11, Zach Wilson launched a deep ball down the left sideline to Corey Davis, but Dunn was on Davis’ hip, so he stuck his left hand out and broke up the pass. Dunn had two pass breakups in the second team session as well: The first, on a Wilson deep post pass to Elijah Moore, which Dunn stayed on top of through the route and deflected; the second, on a Wilson curl route to Vyncint Smith, which Dunn was able to slap away after smoothly breaking out of his back pedal.

Dunn, an Oregon State product, was clearly in a “No Fly Zone” rhythm and that continued through 7-on-7. In one instance, Wilson threw a deep bomb to Keelan Cole, but it fell incomplete because of Dunn’s coverage. He gave Cole little separation. Then during redzone, Wilson scrambled to the left side of the field and floated a pass to Ryan Griffin in the corner of the endzone, but Dunn’s coverage made the throw difficult and it fell incomplete.

There is no clear answer to who the Jets should make a starting cornerback just yet, but offseason camp helped display the candidates. 

These were only the latest reasons the Jets had him on their radar and the coaches have praised his efforts. Jeff Ulbrich said the Jets didn’t expect Dunn to go undrafted, but they’ve been pleased with the investment.

“He’s a guy that has grown every day. It’s one of those guys that we thought would get drafted,” Ulbrich said. “We definitely contemplated drafting him towards the end and were very surprised when he wasn’t. So, we were ecstatic to get him here, especially as a UDFA.

“That’s a guy that makes strides every day,” Ulbrich said. “He’s making a push to not just make this team but potentially play and contribute.”

The Jets and Dunn struck a three-year deal for $185,000 guaranteed, including $160,000 of his base salary guaranteed, plus a $25,000 signing bonus — the biggest contract ever for an undrafted rookie corner.

Safeties coach Marquand Manuel also gave Dunn a positive review on his offseason.

“He came in as a rookie and did what we asked him to do. When you watch him, he came in every day, and you watched him get better,” Manuel said. “And that’s the small thing. That’s the only thing a lot of people don’t understand as a rookie is daily improvement. And when you can see that, that’s now the lights starting to turn on… Hopefully we can build more of that.”

Ulbrich has said nobody in the group has separated themselves so far. So, the cornerback spot is wide open and it’s not far-fetched to expect Dunn to push for a starting spot when training camp rolls around.

We normally wait for camp to start before we get undrafted dude feel good stories

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I'm asking how is 1. hypothesis; 2. followed by a consequence of that hypothesis (if true) assuming?

Lol, I’m getting that now.  Hopefully #1 is wrong and that erases #2 and the assumptions associated with #1 & #2.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, rangerous said:

good for this guy.  i have a feeling we'll be seeing more of a team defense concept instead of having a shut down corner. 

Given that we don't have a shutdown corner, I'd say that's probably a wise decision on Saleh's part.

• Haha 2

On 6/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, LIJetsFan said:

By DJ BIEN-AIME II

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |

JUN 21, 2021 AT 7:00 AM

Undrafted free agent Isaiah Dunn has created a buzz throughout the offseason for all the right reasons.

Usually, undrafted rookies have an uphill battle to make the team and aren’t expected to contribute, but Dunn has been given the a chance to overcome those odds. Last Wednesday, the last day of mandatory minicamp, Dunn ran with the Jets first team. It’s not uncommon for coaches to give first year players first team reps. Dunn, if nothing else however, further proved his worth and had his strongest performance of the offseason and had moments when he put the clamps on some receivers.

Cornerbacks coach Tony Oden said after the session that Dunn was trending in the right direction.

“He’s working hard just like all our guys are,” Oden said. “Some of the things that we saw coming out that we still see now is that he is a smart player. He works at it... He wants to improve, he wants to get better. His arrow is trending upward.

During the first session of 11-on-11, Zach Wilson launched a deep ball down the left sideline to Corey Davis, but Dunn was on Davis’ hip, so he stuck his left hand out and broke up the pass. Dunn had two pass breakups in the second team session as well: The first, on a Wilson deep post pass to Elijah Moore, which Dunn stayed on top of through the route and deflected; the second, on a Wilson curl route to Vyncint Smith, which Dunn was able to slap away after smoothly breaking out of his back pedal.

Dunn, an Oregon State product, was clearly in a “No Fly Zone” rhythm and that continued through 7-on-7. In one instance, Wilson threw a deep bomb to Keelan Cole, but it fell incomplete because of Dunn’s coverage. He gave Cole little separation. Then during redzone, Wilson scrambled to the left side of the field and floated a pass to Ryan Griffin in the corner of the endzone, but Dunn’s coverage made the throw difficult and it fell incomplete.

There is no clear answer to who the Jets should make a starting cornerback just yet, but offseason camp helped display the candidates. 

These were only the latest reasons the Jets had him on their radar and the coaches have praised his efforts. Jeff Ulbrich said the Jets didn’t expect Dunn to go undrafted, but they’ve been pleased with the investment.

“He’s a guy that has grown every day. It’s one of those guys that we thought would get drafted,” Ulbrich said. “We definitely contemplated drafting him towards the end and were very surprised when he wasn’t. So, we were ecstatic to get him here, especially as a UDFA.

“That’s a guy that makes strides every day,” Ulbrich said. “He’s making a push to not just make this team but potentially play and contribute.”

The Jets and Dunn struck a three-year deal for $185,000 guaranteed, including $160,000 of his base salary guaranteed, plus a $25,000 signing bonus — the biggest contract ever for an undrafted rookie corner.

Safeties coach Marquand Manuel also gave Dunn a positive review on his offseason.

“He came in as a rookie and did what we asked him to do. When you watch him, he came in every day, and you watched him get better,” Manuel said. “And that’s the small thing. That’s the only thing a lot of people don’t understand as a rookie is daily improvement. And when you can see that, that’s now the lights starting to turn on… Hopefully we can build more of that.”

Ulbrich has said nobody in the group has separated themselves so far. So, the cornerback spot is wide open and it’s not far-fetched to expect Dunn to push for a starting spot when training camp rolls around.

Yet another good sign that Joe Douglas is doing a good job.  When your GM's scouting department comes up with late round draft picks and undrafted FA's that are getting noticed and making a contribution, you know for sure there are good people at work. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Yet another good sign that Joe Douglas is doing a good job.  When your GM's scouting department comes up with late round draft picks and undrafted FA's that are getting noticed and making a contribution, you know for sure there are good people at work. 

Or it is an indictment of the comparators 

On 6/23/2021 at 2:18 AM, MichaelScott said:

What a miracle it would be for this team if we found an UDFA who, even eventually, becomes a starting CB for us. 

Would be an absolutely enormous score for this roster rebuild if, going into next off season, we can already have someone penciled in at one CB spot

Macc had a better record with UFDA than in rounds 2-7

• Upvote 1