U.S. Supreme Court Strikes First Nail in the NCAA Coffin

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is a pretty fair compromise. But it will make the NCAA batcrap crazy

Yeah, universities would rather pay a pittance and keep the monopoly on endorsement deals.

Some money would also protect students (and their families) from usurious future-earnings loans.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is a pretty fair compromise. But it will make the NCAA batcrap crazy

The NCAA is about to have its balls cut off and become neutered, and rightfully so.    Justice Cavanaugh pretty much alluded to it in his opinion piece.   The whole NIL thing is happening and it’s going to lead to some initial chaos as there is so many different directions it can go.  Between the lifting of a lot of the restrictions in the transfer portal and the ability for some players to now make money off of their likeness, we are going to see a lot of player movement.   

It’s going to be the wild, Wild West in college sports, there will be so many unintended consequences.  

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Instead of paying the athletes, why not just allow them to earn money on endorsements and such? Those who have that value may cash in, those who don’t continue to benefit as they do today. The NCAA doesn’t have to take money out of their pocket and elite athletes get the compensation they deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I mean I agree but the ones who have that type of earning power are already getting paid anyways.

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The NCAA is about to have its balls cut off and become neutered, and rightfully so.    Justice Cavanaugh pretty much alluded to it in his opinion piece.   The whole NIL thing is happening and it’s going to lead to some initial chaos as there is so many different directions it can go.  Between the lifting of a lot of the restrictions in the transfer portal and the ability for some players to now make money off of their likeness, we are going to see a lot of player movement.   

It’s going to be the wild, Wild West in college sports, there will be so many unintended consequences.  

The transfer portal thing is done. That has already been enacted. I was told by some that know that the transfer portal for baseball is at an all time high. My son being one of them. 

The days of athletes being chained to teams is over.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

The transfer portal thing is done. That has already been enacted. I was told by some that know that the transfer portal for baseball is at an all time high. My son being one of them. 

The days of athletes being chained to teams is over.

I’ve been watching to portal for football and it’s absolutely crazy what’s going on in there, especially when you have so many players staying additional years because of the added COVID eligibility.    I think it’s a great thing for the kids, I hated the restrictions that were in place.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve been watching to portal for football and it’s absolutely crazy what’s going on in there, especially when you have so many players staying additional years because of the added COVID eligibility.    I think it’s a great thing for the kids, I hated the restrictions that were in place.  

The rules that they had in place that you could not transfer in conference and had to sit out a game were ridiculous. Like you said, it is going to be the Wild West now.

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Not to mention it will make the "rich get richer" from a talent perspective. If -- for example -- players get a percentage of endorsement money, there is even more incentive to go to the few colleges with truly massive fanbases (e.g., Texas, Notre Dame) and/or in big media markets. 

There has never been parity in NCAA football but I think this decision will likely exacerbate the extremes.

The sports leagues should be separated from the schools and their budgets. The NCAA should be a separate league that leases a stadium (and/or other space), a logo/mascot, etc from a school, but their finances should be wholly separate otherwise. Schools themselves shouldn't have any direct relationship to making decisions for teams. 

These aren't 'student athletes' in many cases. They're not 'learning' by playing football. They're working a job while they attend college and severing the ties between teams and schools would help that distinction. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, RSJ said:

It will be interesting to see what happens. I dont see many state institutions paying their athletes. It may just shift around conferences and split them between ones that pay and ones that dont

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The first time a State School (i.e. the State itself) pays a college football player a large sum to play college football for a college will be the last time that happens without State taxpayers WTF'ing all over the place.

It's already a joke that the highest paid Civil Servant in many States....is a College Football or Basketball Coach.

For example:  https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-state-salaries-20200219-rihwbz7dxndvnethrwo7ze27ue-story.html

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The first time a State School (i.e. the State itself) pays a college football player a large sum to play college football for a college will be the last time that happens without State taxpayers WTF'ing all over the place.

It's already a joke that the highest paid Civil Servant in many States....is a College Football or Basketball Coach.

For example:  https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-state-salaries-20200219-rihwbz7dxndvnethrwo7ze27ue-story.html

Not really when you think about the revenue that comes from the big sports that fund programs that operate in the red every year. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not really when you think about the revenue that comes from the big sports that fund programs that operate in the red every year. 

You can also make the case that these coaches not only fund their own schools programs but actually help fund other programs in their own conference.  I’ll use Clemson as an example, when you consider how the revenues that Clemson generates by playing in the College Football Playoffs gets distributed to all the schools in the ACC, not only is Dabo putting money in Clemson’s athletic department, he’s also putting money in every other team in the ACC’s pockets. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

*watches as states hand over hundreds of millions to pay for stadiums for billionaires*

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

we're not doing that conversation here

this is about legal adult football players getting paid for more than tuition + r&b in a $4bn/year spectator sport

So what's your opinion on this ruling? 

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You can also make the case that these coaches not only fund their own schools programs but actually help fund other programs in their own conference.  I’ll use Clemson as an example, when you consider how the revenues that Clemson generates by playing in the College Football Playoffs gets distributed to all the schools in the ACC, not only is Dabo putting money in Clemson’s athletic department, he’s also putting money in every other team in the ACC’s pockets. 

https://media.clemson.edu/cfo/controller/comprehensive-annual-financial-report2020.pdf

You might enjoy reading this.

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why?  Is that mayor of crapville or the lieutenant governor who are making six digit salaries paid for by taxpayers bringing in millions in revenue like the D1 football or basketball coach?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It proves what exactly?   You don’t think that applications are at all time high at Clemson has anything to do with the success of the football program?  

Not just that but merchandising, ticket sales — all through the roof in the millions

But yeah the cops patrolling the suburbs should be paid more to drive in circles and shoot squirrels 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It proves what exactly?   You don’t think that applications are at all time high at Clemson has anything to do with the success of the football program?  

It's the Schools financials. 

It's information germane to the topic of gain/loss by school athletic programs and how those gains/losses come to be, nothing more, nothing less. 

Read it, don't read it, up to you.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's information germane to the topic of gain/loss by school athletic programs and how those gains/losses come to be, nothing more, nothing less. 

Clemson football isn’t losing the school or state money.

2020-21 financials are also going to be asterisked. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I’ve seen it before, how is it relevant to the discussion?  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you've "seen it before" and understood what information it contains, you wouldn't have any need to ask that question.

So explain it to us.   What does it prove?  I’ve prepared reports like those for 25 years, I know exactly what’s in them.  My question to you is very simple, what is your point? 

Maybe the best public policy is to separate athletics from public schools.  Other than that the schools should pay the workers who are creating the revenue streams.  The entire post-secondary school is a racket blessed by the pols who support them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

So explain it to us.  What does it prove?

You tell me, you've prepared reports like these for over 25 years and are, presumably, an expert at reading them and interpreting them. 

What does this CAFR say about the net profitability of the Clemson athletic program, in your professional opinion?

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve prepared reports like those for 25 years, I know exactly what’s in them.

I'm sure you have.  

23 hours ago, flgreen said:
Minor League Baseball Player Salaries

According to The Athletic, the average player salary for a minor league player was $6,000 in Single-A, $9,350 in Double-A and $15,000 in Triple-A in 2018. The aforementioned pay bump will increase player pay at least a little bit.

If it were my kid I would much rather he gets a $250,000 +- free education, then ride on buses 30-40 hours a week from site to site, and live like a dog.  Minor league BB is horrible on the players.

The only real ones who will benefit from this are the 5 star player who are going to make millions in a few years anyway.  Outside of basketball, womens sports will be gone.  Many smaller schools who are not drawing 20 + thousand fans will probably drop football.

But yeah, this will make everything fair for all college players.  

You seriously going to bring up MiLB which has an antitrust exemption and is known for having pay issues with MiLB? That's a terrible argument, cause the MiLB guys are getting ****ed so should the NCAA football players? Nah man, you can't honestly sit here and tell me the rules are fair when you have CFB coaches making more money then NFL coaches.  Plus, who cares about some crappy communications degrees the players are getting where they just have tutors do all their homework for them. Sh*t's a scam, and based off the courts rulings the NCAA is ****ed.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

You tell me, you've prepared reports like these for over 25 years and are, presumably, an expert at reading them and interpreting them. 

What does this CAFR say about the net profitability of the Clemson athletic program, in your professional opinion?

I'm sure you have.  

I Have been around Financial Reports for many years, and can tell you that what is necessarily reported in them, is not necessarily what happened. There are add-backs, there are accruals, timings of revenue, lack of reporting of what should be revenue, shifting expenses, etc, etc.

To believe that a financial report is an accurate representation is pure fiction.

If this were to happen it would allow athletes to make a little money (and stars moreso) but the real benefit to the players would be access to work comp for long term injury care and the right to unionize. Schools are still going to have to give scholarships to entire players and students are still going to want to go to the best program they can if the goal is a pro career. 

What is undoubtedly going to happen is Congress will carve out an antitrust exemption for the NCAA to essentially maintain the status quo. You can ready Kavanagh's comments as queueing up a legal fight but really he is putting the NCAA on notice to start lobbying Congress. 

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm sure you have.  

Again, what’s your point?   Are you arguing that Dabo doesn’t deserve his pay or are you just blowing hot air and not making an actual point like you usually do.  You cited a 110 page document for some reason, what is your point?  

i don't know.  at this point the ncaa and colleges get soooo much money off of college sports it's hard to see how they can't start to pay the players.  but at the same time the whole notion of college sports is to give atheletes a free path to getting a good education and that should count for something.  the problem is when the sports programs become so demanding that the students are shuffled into basket weaving courses to maintain their eligibility.  imo it's too bad it went this way but that's what happens when there's far too much money floating around.

55 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If this were to happen it would allow athletes to make a little money (and stars moreso) but the real benefit to the players would be access to work comp for long term injury care and the right to unionize. Schools are still going to have to give scholarships to entire players and students are still going to want to go to the best program they can if the goal is a pro career. 

What is undoubtedly going to happen is Congress will carve out an antitrust exemption for the NCAA to essentially maintain the status quo. You can ready Kavanagh's comments as queueing up a legal fight but really he is putting the NCAA on notice to start lobbying Congress. 

This is what probably happens.  Like I stated earlier, our political elites are in bed with these folks.    

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Again, what’s your point?   Are you arguing that Dabo doesn’t deserve his pay or are you just blowing hot air and not making an actual point like you usually do.  You cited a 110 page document for some reason, what is your point?  

Not sure what Dabo is paid, but by his worth to the University, his vastly underpaid. I promise you that.