Brian Schottenheimer is a clown.

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It's almost like he doesn't make that decision and is getting his speaking points from the HC.

It's amazing the way we crap on people for no reason around here

lol. He's the #1 overall pick. A "generational talent". Everyone drooling over him. He had him in the mix with Minshew. He could have relayed his houseboy status better than that comical, long winded, diatribe he put out there. 

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

He's a clown ??? You are just figuring that out now ??? 

Here is a fun inside story from the 2010 season for you. 

During practice, the punting unit would joke about Schotty's offence and his play calling by insisting that they put in extra practice punting out of their own end zone. 

That's a true story...

Always knew it. His work here will never be forgotten. Never. Also, I like this story. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

This Shotty hate around here is laughable when you consider every OC we've had since him has been worse.  And yes though, I agree that his statement the OP sites is cringeworthy.    

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

Let's hate on Schottenheimer and Sanchez who took us within 60 minutes of the Super Bowl, twice, but nut all over Martin and Pennington, two guys whose dictionaries were missing the word "clutch".

SAR I

VEG1ZL8.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

VEG1ZL8.gif

The key to understanding every Schottenheimer call is that he’s obsessed with appearing clever and creating the perception that he’s outsmarting opposing DCs. Sometimes the obvious call is obvious because it’s gonna work.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

Let's hate on Schottenheimer and Sanchez who took us within 60 minutes of the Super Bowl, twice, but nut all over Martin and Pennington, two guys whose dictionaries were missing the word "clutch".

SAR I

2010 we were stacked. Those teams (09 and 10) went deep not because of Schotty and Sanchez, but despite having them. A buffoon like Jeff George could have gotten us closer to the big dance.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, pointman said:

2010 we were stacked. Those teams (09 and 10) went deep not because of Schotty and Sanchez, but despite having them. A buffoon like Jeff George could have gotten us closer to the big dance.

2010 Schottenheimer and Sanchez engineered 5 miracle 4th quarter comebacks necessary because the Jets D blew them.  Texans, Browns, Lions, Broncos, Steelers.  Brian and Mark turned 6-10 into 11-5.  They carried the D that season.  And in the playoffs too.  

Rex Ryan's defense was tremendously overrated, to this day in fact.  And let's not sweep 2011 under the rug either.  We were 8-5 with 3 easy games against losing teams and the D let Victor Cruz go 99 yards and we lost them all. 

History now shows that Rex wasted our money, wasted our draft picks, and wasted 5 years perpetuating this myth that he was some 'great' defensive mind just so he could land his next coaching job.  We should have kept Schottenheimer and Sanchez, gave them the tools they needed offensively, and see what might have happened.  The cavalcade of crap that followed at QB and OC, the changes so-called "smart" Jets fans screamed for, was dead wrong.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2010 Schottenheimer and Sanchez engineered 5 miracle 4th quarter comebacks necessary because the Jets D blew them.  Texans, Browns, Lions, Broncos, Steelers.  Brian and Mark turned 6-10 into 11-5.  They carried the D that season.  And in the playoffs too.  

Rex Ryan's defense was tremendously overrated, to this day in fact.  And let's not sweep 2011 under the rug either.  We were 8-5 with 3 easy games against losing teams and the D let Victor Cruz go 99 yards and we lost them all. 

History now shows that Rex wasted our money, wasted our draft picks, and wasted 5 years perpetuating this myth that he was some 'great' defensive mind just so he could land his next coaching job.  We should have kept Schottenheimer and Sanchez, gave them the tools they needed offensively, and see what might have happened.  The cavalcade of crap that followed at QB and OC, the changes so-called "smart" Jets fans screamed for, was dead wrong.

SAR I

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

• Haha 1

SAR I

This guy liked Adam Gase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The guy you want to idolize for 2009 and 2010 is Rex. And for that matter, Rex went 8-8 his last year with the absolutely worst roster the Jets have ever seen. 

No, he went 4-12 his last year here.  And in that 8-8 season (2013), his team was outscored by 97 points.  6th worst in the league.  That was a fraudulent 8-8 record of the highest order.  One of the least competitive 8-8 teams of all time, if not the least.

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he went 4-12 his last year here.  And in that 8-8 season (2013), his team was outscored by 97 points.  6th worst in the league.  That was a fraudulent 8-8 record of the highest order.  One of the least competitive 8-8 teams of all time, if not the least.

In fairness, in 2013 how many games should they have won? The offense, in particular, was a disaster. I'd blocked out a lot of it - my brain trying to protect itself - but it's easy to look up.

• The OL that only had one player - a friggin' center - still at an above-average level (with two starters noticeably below it). Brick was in obvious decline but was at least still average, and Colon was ok other than the penalties. 
  • The top receiver in terms of yardage was Jeremy Kerley. Starting WRs were Stephen Hill and a post-Lisfranc Santonio Holmes (with David Nelson starting when they got injured);
  • TEs were Cumberland, Winslow who could barely run anymore, and that nobody billed as "baby Gronk";
  • starting RBs were previously just backups, yet were the only ones that at least sometimes kept the offense afloat.
  • Then the elephant in the room: Smith at QB. On top of the lowest completion % among those starting most of the season, and throwing the fewest TDs in the league, Smith threw 21 interceptions (5 of them pick-6s, plus his fumble-6), which is the only reason the Jets didn't lead the NFL in punts. Geno was backed up by Matt Simms, who wasn't even worth a roster spot as a backup. 

What coach do you imagine would've even gotten average production out of that offense? Andy Reid who went 4-12 the prior year in Philadelphia, with a far better roster? It'd be easy to do the lazy message board thing: point to stats and say, "Look how much better Nick Foles instantly got once the Eagles dumped Andy Reid. So obviously, Reid was holding him back." Then add in that numbers don't lie or something.

The '13 defense was better than the offense for sure, but still had plenty of holes. Solid but not great DL, and not much else. Cromartie was still very good; Landry was maybe average I guess; but the rest of the secondary was a train wreck: Milliner/Walls, Kyle Wilson, Antonio Allen, and Ed Reed. Edge rushers were Coples - a passionless, converted DT - and 33 yr old Calvin Pace who somehow amassed 10 coverage sacks. Up the middle was the decent but wildly overrated David Harris paired with 2nd-yr Demario Davis who was average to below average until his 6th season. 

I'm not suggesting Ryan was some HOF HC or anything - he certainly wasn't - nor that he's Reid's equal either, even though I threw his name in above. But it's interesting how selective it can be: when the coach is blamed as the primary culprit and when the roster itself is blamed. Among all his faults, winning 8 games with that roster isn't an example of "the problem with Rex Ryan."

Meanwhile even with that crap offense - which on paper yes was worse than the 2021 offensive roster - the 8 games with 20+ points has been eclipsed exactly once since then by this sorry-ass franchise.

Geez, this ****ing team. Wilson would have to be so incredibly bad for me to actually consider him a letdown lol.

• Upvote 1

@Sperm Edwards I won’t argue with you that that 2013 roster was any good.  It sucked.  My point was to suggest Ryan didn’t do any brilliant coaching, either.  

A team that should have won 4 games based on point differential won 8.  The next season, they won 4 like they should have.  Simple as that.  The league had figured Rex out 2 years prior and he was largely irrelevant.  

Just trying to argue against this strange retroactive crediting to Rex for winning 8 in that 2013 season that’s still in existence for some reason, even though he absolutely sucked from 2012-2016, for 2 different franchises and hasn’t come close to a HC job since.  Even the U of Miami wouldn’t interview him.  He deserves zero credit for that 8-8 fluke of a campaign. 

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Sperm Edwards I won’t argue with you that that 2013 roster was any good.  It sucked.  My point was to suggest Ryan didn’t do any brilliant coaching, either.  

A team that should have won 4 games based on point differential won 8.  The next season, they won 4 like they should have.  Simple as that.  The league had figured Rex out 2 years prior and he was largely irrelevant.  

Just trying to argue against this strange retroactive crediting to Rex for winning 8 in that 2013 season that’s still in existence for some reason, even though he absolutely sucked from 2012-2016, for 2 different franchises and hasn’t come close to a HC job since.  Even the U of Miami wouldn’t interview him.  He deserves zero credit for that 8-8 fluke of a campaign. 

If you think the team should've won just 4 games, but instead won 8 games (including a couple against two serious playoff teams), to what do you attribute that?

I've zero desire for the team to rehire him as HC (or in any professional capacity), but the "figured him out" stuff holds no more weight than saying he only presided over terrible rosters that were handed to him after the last playoff teams wore down. Sounds exactly like R.A. was a "one trick pony" to me. I don't at all think it's anything like the lazily repeated "teams figured him out" when he was still coaching seriously subpar rosters to wins over serious playoff opponents (e.g. New England, New Orleans). 

Teams won't hire him because he's a blowhard with a big ****ing mouth and no filter; he's an embarrassment and is flat-out just too immature to be the HC, and while he's a solid defensive coach he doesn't bring enough otherwise to overcome that. Lots of guys just fall out of favor because they attract the wrong kinds of attention, whereas others have carved out longer careers because they know how to play that game better and talk the talk. 

The rest is just your personal disgust being used to conveniently whitewash over anything/anyone on your s***t list. I'm not even saying I never do that myself, often in regard to the same people, but that's what you're doing here. But such a terrible roster doesn't win 8 games by accident like a child luckily rolling dice; there's quite a bit more that happens in a full football game (never mind 8 of them). Just to gloss over the 2013-14 QB situation alone, as though it's completely irrelevant & immaterial, takes a lot of teeth out of it. Never mind the GMs drafting zero good drafts during his tenure. Also I bet my penis is bigger than yours. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But it's interesting how selective it can be: when the coach is blamed as the primary culprit and when the roster itself is blamed. Among all his faults, winning 8 games with that roster isn't an example of "the problem with Rex Ryan."

The problem with Rex Ryan is that he built the roster.  Every meaningful draft pick and free agent was on defense. The offense ignored.  With better balance that 2009 team could have lasted more than two years.  

And making things even worse, Ryan scapegoated Tannenbaum, Schottenheimer, and Sanchez to protect his reputation and get a second gig setting us on a course for this decade of futility.  Rex Ryan is the Devil.  

SAR I

The problem with Rex Ryan is that he built the roster.  Every meaningful draft pick and free agent was on defense. The offense ignored.  With better balance that 2009 team could have lasted more than two years.  
And making things even worse, Ryan scapegoated Tannenbaum, Schottenheimer, and Sanchez to protect his reputation and get a second gig setting us on a course for this decade of futility.  Rex Ryan is the Devil.  

SAR I
True ... Rex was handed a golden ticket with Mangini's well built team (*including the best cb in the league, brick and mangold) ... and he made it worse over the course of his stay.

Rex's biggest problem is that he just mentally was a child that didnt know how to be a head coach.

Was he a good motivator ... not really . His schtick got old and his lack of genius was exposed. He repeatedly trotted old vets out into the field at the expense of developing rookies.

Thst being said ... he did have a true big heart ... and that went pretty far.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

SAR I

took.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I stand corrected regarding 2013.  And... No such thing as a fraudulent record.  No such thing at all.  

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Ryan the GM. OK sure.

And Sanchez, lol. We'd have won 2 superbowls and at worst would've made the playoffs in 2011 if not for that stiff they never should've drafted in the first place.

What's done is done, though.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I stand corrected regarding 2013.  And... No such thing as a fraudulent record.  No such thing at all.  

Yes there is.  And the biggest problem with thinking this way is that it causes teams to poorly evaluate where they stand.  Since we went 8-8 in 2013, people here (and I imagine in the Jets org as well) thought we were super close to being a contender, when in reality we were one of the 6 or 7 worst teams in the league that year.  

In this instance, the Parcells quote "You are what your record says you are" didn't reflect reality.  

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you think the team should've won just 4 games, but instead won 8 games (including a couple against two serious playoff teams), to what do you attribute that?

I've zero desire for the team to rehire him as HC (or in any professional capacity), but the "figured him out" stuff holds no more weight than saying he only presided over terrible rosters that were handed to him after the last playoff teams wore down. Sounds exactly like R.A. was a "one trick pony" to me. I don't at all think it's anything like the lazily repeated "teams figured him out" when he was still coaching seriously subpar rosters to wins over serious playoff opponents (e.g. New England, New Orleans). 

Teams won't hire him because he's a blowhard with a big ****ing mouth and no filter; he's an embarrassment and is flat-out just too immature to be the HC, and while he's a solid defensive coach he doesn't bring enough otherwise to overcome that. Lots of guys just fall out of favor because they attract the wrong kinds of attention, whereas others have carved out longer careers because they know how to play that game better and talk the talk. 

The rest is just your personal disgust being used to conveniently whitewash over anything/anyone on your s***t list. I'm not even saying I never do that myself, often in regard to the same people, but that's what you're doing here. But such a terrible roster doesn't win 8 games by accident like a child luckily rolling dice; there's quite a bit more that happens in a full football game (never mind 8 of them). Just to gloss over the 2013-14 QB situation alone, as though it's completely irrelevant & immaterial, takes a lot of teeth out of it. Never mind the GMs drafting zero good drafts during his tenure. Also I bet my penis is bigger than yours. 

There's a reason veteran coaches like Belichick, Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin repeatedly destroyed Rex Ryan in H2H matchups.  Veteran coaches knew how to beat Rex Ryan teams.  Hence why the Jets got blown out by the Patriots, Bengals and Giants (among other teams) that season while winning some close games against bad teams or teams with younger coaches.

The league absolutely figured Rex Ryan out.  

Did you even read Collision Low Crossers, bruh?

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ryan the GM. OK sure.

And Sanchez, lol. We'd have won 2 superbowls and at worst would've made the playoffs in 2011 if not for that stiff they never should've drafted in the first place.

What's done is done, though.

Ryan wasn't the GM, but his fingerprints were all over those rosters.

Read Collision Low Crossers then get back to us.  You're way off on this one, buddy.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's a reason veteran coaches like Belichick, Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin repeatedly destroyed Rex Ryan in H2H matchups.  Veteran coaches knew how to beat Rex Ryan teams.  Hence why the Jets got blown out by the Patriots, Bengals and Giants (among other teams) that season while winning some close games against bad teams or teams with younger coaches.

The league absolutely figured Rex Ryan out.  

Did you even read Collision Low Crossers, bruh?

In the year in question (2013), veteran coach Belichick - armed with a SB-caliber team and his prized, cheating QB - beat the Jets by 3 points in week 2 (in Geno Smith's 2nd NFL start) and lost to the Jets a month later. Go annihilated by Cincy that year, but two of their TDs were pick-6s and also remember Lex Hilliard missed that game.

No, I didn't read Collision Low Crossers. I don't need to read a 500-page book to tell me that Rex acted like an overgrown child everywhere he went when the team needed a leader to instill discipline. I already knew that. But in between the Rex stuff that was surely cringeworthy - again, I've no desire for him to be in any coaching capacity here again - my understanding from most of the non-JN book reviews was that Ryan was very much the book's protagonist. I didn't need to read a fluff book about him either.

Still, how did the Jets win 8 games that year? And do it with a roster - certainly on offense - absolutely worse than the 2021 Jets that won just 2 games. I mean, FFS Geno either threw a pick or fumbled once for every 15 dropbacks, and the team had 1 CB. Explain it.

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Read Collision Low Crossers then get back to us.  You're way off on this one, buddy.

Yeah I'm not reading 500 pages about a garbage/letdown Jets season to discuss a couple nuances like a decade after the fact. 

All coaches have fingerprints on the rosters, but ultimately the GM makes the picks. Or are we going to now endeavor into a discussion how the HC pounded the table to trade up for Stephen Hill?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm really surprised Tajh Boyd didn't work out.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes there is.  And the biggest problem with thinking this way is that it causes teams to poorly evaluate where they stand.  Since we went 8-8 in 2013, people here (and I imagine in the Jets org as well) thought we were super close to being a contender, when in reality we were one of the 6 or 7 worst teams in the league that year.  

In this instance, the Parcells quote "You are what your record says you are" didn't reflect reality.  

As they say... We have to agree to disagree on this one.  A record is a record.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

17 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

As they say... We have to agree to disagree on this one.  A record is a record.  

The 2013 Jets had the worst point differential in history (I believe) for a team with a non-losing record. You run enough permutations, eventually a coin will land on heads 20 times in a row (which is the reason Martingale betting systems always result in a complete loss over time unless you have infinite resources to bet with and the table doesn't have a limit). The 2013 Jets were an incredibly lucky team (from a historical perspective) and an outlier (@nico002). Anyone who takes any lessons or draws general conclusions from that team does so at their peril. Which is what the Jets unfortunately did with predictable results.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In the year in question (2013), veteran coach Belichick - armed with a SB-caliber team and his prized, cheating QB - beat the Jets by 3 points in week 2 (in Geno Smith's 2nd NFL start) and lost to the Jets a month later. Go annihilated by Cincy that year, but two of their TDs were pick-6s and also remember Lex Hilliard missed that game.

No, I didn't read Collision Low Crossers. I don't need to read a 500-page book to tell me that Rex acted like an overgrown child everywhere he went when the team needed a leader to instill discipline. I already knew that. But in between the Rex stuff that was surely cringeworthy - again, I've no desire for him to be in any coaching capacity here again - my understanding from most of the non-JN book reviews was that Ryan was very much the book's protagonist. I didn't need to read a fluff book about him either.

Still, how did the Jets win 8 games that year? And do it with a roster - certainly on offense - absolutely worse than the 2021 Jets that won just 2 games. I mean, FFS Geno either threw a pick or fumbled once for every 15 dropbacks, and the team had 1 CB. Explain it.

When you have a small sample size like the NFL, just 16 games, weird things happen.  Luck factor definitely applies.  The 2013 8-8 record was proven to be a fluke because of what happened when they went 4-12 the next season.  It was, in effect, the Jets regressing to the mean based.  It wasn't good coaching that got them to 8-8 in 2013, like you're implying. 

When you are on the winning side of a mathematically strange number of close games, there's a high luck factor going on.  Simple as that.  Them getting blown out in pretty much all of their 8 losses that season further demonstrates this was the case.  Hence why net points are important to point out whenever you evaluate a team's season.  

And while the book was intended to be a fluff piece at the start, with the hopes that he'd be covering a SB winner or contender, it accidentally exposed Rex Ryan's many flaws.  It's a tremendous read, even years later.