How confident are you that Zach will be a top-quartile QB?

jgb

Zach Wilson  

121 members have voted

1. 1. How confident are you in this statement: "Zach Wilson will become a top-8 NFL QB"

• I always have full confidence in the next Jets savior until he proves otherwise.
    • Recklessly confident. Only injuries/a terrible team situation can hold him back. If he doesn't succeed, it is someone/something else's fault.
    • Cautiously confident. I like everything I see but there is so much that goes into it (mental part of his game, team situation, etc.) that it is impossible to ever be fully on board.
    • On the fence. I have no guts and don't want to be wrong on the Internet.
    • Worried. I have concerns but hey I could be wrong and hoping for the best.
    • Debbie Downer. I do not believe he has a chance to be a top QB.
    • All drafted QBs are busts until proven otherwise.

46 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Agree if you said  that team, meaning last year. But, Jets seem to be doing everything to make the team better around him. Yet, I’m still a block away or so from even cautiously optimistic. Same time, looking forward to this season more than I have in a decade. 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I dont love the situation rookie HC, OC, DC, QB coupled with all the young players.  

What Mr. JIF points out is part of the reason.  The other reason is how he reacts to any amount of pressure.

Now I watched about 70% of this clip

I just hope that we have upgraded the O-line sufficiently that he can get comfortable with NFL pressure placed on him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

My mantra is "Hope and root, but Verify".

So I chose "All drafted QBs are busts until proven otherwise."

Until I see him play in an actual NFL game, I don't feel like I should have any actual confidence in his future top 8 status.

He's a good prospect, with a career-to-date in college we've debated endlessly, we all know it.

I want to see some pro play before I start predicting perennial top 10 NFL QB, lol.

Same here... lets see the kid play and see how he does in the league.  I get the optimism and all that but come on... posters making statement about the guy winning multiple SB.   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SOJ said:

Same here... lets see the kid play and see how he does in the league.  I get the optimism and all that but come on... posters making statement about the guy winning multiple SB.   

That's just one guy @Joe W. Namath who has gone full-SAR on Wilson.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

My mantra is "Hope and root, but Verify".

So I chose "All drafted QBs are busts until proven otherwise."

Until I see him play in an actual NFL game, I don't feel like I should have any actual confidence in his future top 8 status.

He's a good prospect, with a career-to-date in college we've debated endlessly, we all know it.

I want to see some pro play before I start predicting perennial top 10 NFL QB, lol.

WF..I am with you.  Lets see how the kid performs on the field when zero blitz comes from BB and others.  Remember, we have New players, new coaches, new schemes, etc...  PROGRESS in can they execute and are they collectively getting better? 

13 minutes ago, peebag said:

What Mr. JIF points out is part of the reason.  The other reason is how he reacts to any amount of pressure.

Now I watched about 70% of this clip

I just hope that we have upgraded the O-line sufficiently that he can get comfortable with NFL pressure placed on him.

Wasnt trying to rehash all the predrafts takes.  Lots of his game worries me but I do think if he's a system fit they can work with his tools.  He's clearly got a ton of natural throwing talent and is a decent athlete.  So I'm hopeful that kind of like the way Cleveland found a system that maximizes Baker's strengths, this staff can do the same.  Baker stinks but they made it work with his skill set and by surrounding him with talent and just had their most successful season in 30 years. I'm hopeful this coaching staff can do the same.  They talk the talk, just hoping they walk the walk. 

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

I wish we could all make a pact now to not blame weaponz if Zach busts but we all know that a subset of the fanbase will never accept a highly-drafted QB just sucks. There are people here who still believe Jets failed to develop Geno Smith and he was a 2nd rounder and is a detestable human being.

I dont see how you could argue against it.  T, WR, RB in the draft last year.  G, WR, RB in the draft this year.  Davis, Cole and restructured Crowder.  Coleman.  A bunch of FA OL over the last 2 years.  And if they end up signing Moses.  It's the most we've ever done on offense in a 2 year period in my lifetime.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Wasnt trying to rehash all the predrafts takes.  Lots of his game worries me but I do think if he's a system fit they can work with his tools.  He's clearly got a ton of natural throwing talent and is a decent athlete.  So I'm hopeful that kind of like the way Cleveland found a system that maximizes Baker's strengths, this staff can do the same.  Baker stinks but they made it work with his skill set and by surrounding him with talent and just had their most successful season in 30 years. I'm hopeful this coaching staff can do the same.  They talk the talk, just hoping they walk the walk. 

I'm with ya but I do quibble with the take that Baker "stinks." QBs that stink can't perform in any system. I'd characterize Baker as "limited" which yes in a literal sense everyone is limited but I mean it in the way people apply it to football players.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiFapono said:

I dont see how you could argue against it.  T, WR, RB in the draft last year.  G, WR, RB in the draft this year.  Davis, Cole and restructured Crowder.  Coleman.  A bunch of FA OL over the last 2 years.  And if they end up signing Moses.  It's the most we've ever done on offense in a 2 year period in my lifetime.

Hopefully it's moot and no excuses will be needed because I'm exhausted by the same debate every 4 years or so.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'm with ya but I do quibble with the take that Baker "stinks." QBs that stink can't perform in any system. I'd characterize Baker as "limited" which yes in a literal sense everyone is limited but I mean it in the way people apply it to football players.

Sure, I mean, he lost to a winless Jets team last year but fine, he doesnt stink, he's limited but Cleveland made it work by finding the right system and surrounding him with talent.  So because I'm not overly confident in Wilson, I'm hoping for this being the worst case scenario. I will say this, I like Wilson much more then I did Mayfield coming out.  So that's cool, I guess.

Just now, JiFapono said:

Sure, I mean, he lost to a winless Jets team last year but fine, he doesnt stink, he's limited but Cleveland made it work by finding the right system and surrounding him with talent.  So because I'm not overly confident in Wilson, I'm hoping for this being the worst case scenario. I will say this, I like Wilson much more then I did Mayfield coming out.  So that's cool, I guess.

He also came on in relief and broke the longest losing streak in NFL history against the Jets. If we're cherry-picking games we both have cards to play.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I'd love it if we too can have a QB that "stinks" and is "limited" and can throw for 63%, a >3:1 TD:INT ratio and ~3,600 or more yards while leading our team to an 11-5 record.

That's the kind of "stink" I wouldn't mind having.

But he's in a better situation!!! And we both know it isn't "fair" to compare two QBs unless they are tested against each other in strict laboratory settings.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd love it if we too can have a QB that "stinks" and is "limited" and can throw for 63%, a >3:1 TD:INT ratio and ~3,600 or more yards while leading our team to an 11-5 record.

That's the kind of "stink" I wouldn't mind having.

John Dorsey did not deserve to be fired. He did exactly what I've screamed the Jets should do. Draft a QB high but bring in a QB with potential upside -- in Browns case that guy was Tyrod Taylor -- to hedge bets.

Discuss.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

yeah but like, the Jets suck.  

Every dog has its day only 5 teams have gone winless since WWII and only 2 in the free agency era. When you shrink the sample size to one game of your choosing, you can make the case that every QB sucks.

So far he seems to playing good with the 1's against the 1's already in camp and people are saying it looks like he belongs there as well. Seems very advanced. Nice to see as a bigger concern with him was competition.

Early impressions are he's a quick learner, a hard worker, and a good team guy. Let's just hope he builds upon those things. He can be great, but he's not great until he is great. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Every dog has its day only 5 teams have gone winless since WWII and only 2 in the free agency era. When you shrink the sample size to one game of your choosing, you can make the case that every QB sucks.

What about if during that time you led the league in turnovers? 

48 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Sanchez had the best line and running game in the league not to mention a well-above average receiving corps and the leagues #1 defense to support him. Yet opinions on him remain polarized.

Look, I agree with you. Just saying don't fool yourself that excuses won't be made if Zach busts.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  If Zach busts, it’s on him.  There’s infinitely more talent on offense than there was two years ago and an offensive system that’s extremely QB friendly.  He should hit the ground running this season.  

Baby steps. I'm hoping for at least entertaining football again. Jets haven't been fun to watch since Rex. Not talking about the comradery/commiseration with family and other fans but the actual product on the field. Red Zone has gotten me through the decade.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Baby steps. I'm hoping for at least entertaining football again. Jets haven't been fun to watch since Rex. Not talking about the comradery/commiseration with family and other fans but the actual product on the field. Rex Zone has gotten me through the decade.

There’s been a ton of change this off-season,  and given the Jets were setting records in futility last season, I can’t help but think we will see a significant leap forward.   

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets haven't been fun to watch since Rex.

This here, THIS is truth.

I'm with you, lets hope this is fixed. 

Sure, I want titles and glory too, but it starts with being a fun, competitive NFL Football team, something we haven't been in a looooong time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

There’s been a ton of change this off-season,  and given the Jets were setting records in futility last season, I can’t help but think we will see a significant leap forward.   

It would almost be impressive if the Jets found a way to not improve lol

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This here, THIS is truth.

I'm with you, lets hope this is fixed. 

Sure, I want titles and glory too, but it starts with being a fun, competitive NFL Football team, something we haven't been in a looooong time.

Even the wins -- few as they are -- have been boring 10-6 snorefests.

6 hours ago, jgb said:

My totally unscientific measure of success for a QB taken top couple slots in the draft is if he becomes a consistent top 8 QB in the league. What say you?

Top 8 QB in the league? It's a possibility but anyone confident that'll happen before seeing him in game action is out of their mind.