Not like last years team with Gase

AL047

1 hour ago, AL047 said:

I have been watching a lot of the video feeds on Youtube of the Jets mini camp. I will say this, this is not the same team like last year at all!!! All the players currently are actually worried about losing a spot and they all are out to impress the new coaching staff. The rookies are actually pushing the veterans out of their positions. 

This is what the team has been missing for some years now!!!! The last time I saw competition like this is when Bill Parcells coached this team. All the players showed up to camp and practice because they knew Parcells will get rid of them if they didn't play or practice 100%, All these players on this team want to be on this team!!!!

There are a few players that standout during these mini camps on offense its QB Zack WIlson and RB Michael Carter. They are both rookies and are acting like veterans. IMO, Carter looks like Curtis Martin when he runs and catches the ball. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he became the full time RB barring any injury.

I believe the defense is a work in progress especially the two drafted rookies safties who are to be converted to LBs. Them two are looking really good in camp. So far the defense is adjusting and they look like they are going to be reckoned with during the season. They still have questions on the secondary but IMO we will have to see during the season. We all have to remember this team is making a big switch from 3-4 to 4-3 defense, that is a huge adjustment. 

The big difference is the whole coaching staff!!!! Saleh is not acting like Rex Ryan with a big ego and giving backpage headlines!!! He is always walking around watching and saying something to the players and his coaching staff. We can't give the division crown to the Jets yet because its ONLY mini camp!!!! We can't get excited over preseason either because its preseason!!!! We have to get excited when the season starts because that is when it matter and really counts!!!!! 

Great post.

On another topic, is the ambulance in the avatar yours? Pretty cool.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Nice post. Sadly, comparing a player to CMart isn’t the compliment it should be around here.

.Well Coach Saleh said that want players that love football the compiler once said; “I wasn’t the biggest football fan to begin with, but if I was going to play, I didn’t want to play for what was in my mind the worst team, ever,” Martin recalled Monday afternoon in a Midtown steakhouse. “I looked at the Jets as the bottom of the barrel.” 

One of the biggest issues from the past years that I am interested in following is the high occurence soft tissue injuries occurring at TC and practices during season.

Getting the players in shape to contribute throughout the entire season should be at the top of the correction list.

Did we have any player survive and start 16 games last year ????

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Savage69 said:

.Well Coach Saleh said that want players that love football the compiler once said; “I wasn’t the biggest football fan to begin with, but if I was going to play, I didn’t want to play for what was in my mind the worst team, ever,” Martin recalled Monday afternoon in a Midtown steakhouse. “I looked at the Jets as the bottom of the barrel.” 

I don't believe in purity tests. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Yet, if given the opportunity Coach Saleh would give his right nut (maybe both) to have the greatest Jets player of all time on his Football team but yo, good dig, brah.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This is so irrelevant.  And taken so out of context. Like Keith Hernandez saying the same things about the early 80's Mets.  Then going into how he saw and heard about the young talent and wanted to be a part of the turnaround..  That staying with the Mets was the best thing he ever did.  

After putting together a long HOF career here, being one of the best if not the greatest Jet ever, being a model citizen and relentless worker, this seems even more irrelevant.

Plus show me a HC who says "I don't care if the players like football." What Saleh said is coach speak 101.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Yet, if given the opportunity Coach Saleh would give his right nut (maybe both) to have the greatest Jets player of all time on his Football team but yo, good dig, brah.

You put Martin over Namath, Maynard and Klecko?  Blasphemy, dude.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’ve always felt players like money more than football. I do. 

Coaches and GMs have to say it. What else are they supposed to say? For those who believe that expressing interest in "wanting players who love football" has any correlation to end results, I offer:

"The reality from talking to people in the know is that Gase was a terrific communicator with players with a keen understanding of player psychology designed to build confidence. He had one unyielding requirement: You have to love football."

---

"Bad character and Maccagnan's mantra that players must truly love football are not mutually exclusive. Sketchy dudes can give their heart and soul to the game."

---

"There's pretty much a common thread with these fellas," Idzik said. "They fit our profile. They're aggressive, they have a passion for our game, they're great teammates. They fit the Jet profile."

---

"That's him (Matt Millen) too, that's who he is. (He has) a passion about guys who just love football, guys who love it and want to play every down. They'll finish games for you. They'll fight for you in the right environment."

---

"It's a good atmosphere around here," Kotite said. "We have a lot of guys who love to play, and the most important thing is their intensity on game day."

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hmm.  QB who helped revolutionize the position and won a SB vs the RB who couldn't exceed 2 yards per carry in an AFC title game.  Tough call there.  

Downvoted for defending Namath on a Jets messageboard.

Are ya starting to believe me, yet? :) 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Downvoted for defending Namath on a Jets messageboard.

Are ya starting to believe me, yet? :) 

You're not allowed to defend Namath while also posting an accurate statistic about Curtis Martin that paints him in any negative light whatsoever.  I think that's the official rule.

I love Curtis Martin.  I really do.  One of my favorite players growing up.  But he came up small in big spots, because he was a RB who mostly took what the O-Line gave him.  His biggest strengths were his durability, pass blocking, and pass catching abilities.  As a RB he never actually achieved "greatness".  He was just an excellent player for a long time.  And that's absolutely commendable.  But putting him above Namath and Klecko in Jets history?  Absolute madness.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hmm.  QB who helped revolutionize the position and won a SB vs the RB who couldn't exceed 2 yards per carry in an AFC title game.  Tough call there.  

"Helped revolutionize" - lmfao.  Jets fans and the idea that Joe Namath was doing something different then Johnny Unitas and Sonny Jurgensen is comical.  He didnt revolution the position, he didnt event the forward pass, lmfao.  He revolutionized the idea an athlete could be also a cool celebrity who could date super models, wear furs on the sideline and star in commercials.  

And since we're using 1 game to define Martin's career (who stands alone with only 1 other player in the history of the NFL), are we going to talk about how Joe Namath did nothing to win the Super Bowl for the Jets and how his last playoff game in his career he completed 35% of his passes for 164 yards and 3 Int's?  

Yeah, exactly.  Now say you're sorry.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're not allowed to defend Namath while also posting an accurate statistic about Curtis Martin that paints him in any negative light whatsoever.  I think that's the official rule.

I love Curtis Martin.  I really do.  One of my favorite players growing up.  But he came up small in big spots, because he was a RB who mostly took what the O-Line gave him.  His biggest strengths were his durability, pass blocking, and pass catching abilities.  As a RB he never actually achieved "greatness".  He was just an excellent player for a long time.  And that's absolutely commendable.  But putting him above Namath and Klecko in Jets history?  Absolute madness.

Joe Namath threw 50 more INT's then TD's.....50!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmfao

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe...

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

"Helped revolutionize" - lmfao.  Jets fans and the idea that Joe Namath was doing something different then Johnny Unitas and Sonny Jurgensen is comical.  He didnt revolution the position, he didnt event the forward pass, lmfao.  He revolutionized the idea an athlete could be also a cool celebrity who could date super models, wear furs on the sideline and star in commercials.  

And since we're using 1 game to define Martin's career (who stands alone with only 1 other player in the history of the NFL), are we going to talk about how Joe Namath did nothing to win the Super Bowl for the Jets and how his last playoff game in his career he completed 35% of his passes for 164 yards and 3 Int's?  

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lmfao

Nevermind!

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Packers Tame Sanders, Leave Lions Beaten : NFC playoffs: NFL’s top running back is held to minus one yard as Detroit is stunned,16-12, at Green Bay.  It happens to the best and it's not always on them.  Martin is the best RB in Jets history and its not even close.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Packers Tame Sanders, Leave Lions Beaten : NFC playoffs: NFL’s top running back is held to minus one yard as Detroit is stunned,16-12, at Green Bay.  It happens to the best and it's not always on them.  Martin is the best RB in Jets history and its not even close.

That's not what we're debating, lol.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's not what we're debating, lol.  

You dogged Martin

"Hmm.  QB who helped revolutionize the position and won a SB vs the RB who couldn't exceed 2 yards per carry in an AFC title game.  Tough call there. "  

That was 1 game and obviously they targeted him.  Dont use 1 game against Martin to try and prove your point.  HOF RB who had a chance to be the all time rushing leader had he not been injured.  Whats a guy gotta do?  Both of you are WRONG! 

11 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

You dogged Martin

"Hmm.  QB who helped revolutionize the position and won a SB vs the RB who couldn't exceed 2 yards per carry in an AFC title game.  Tough call there. "  

That was 1 game and obviously they targeted him.  Dont use 1 game against Martin to try and prove your point.  HOF RB who had a chance to be the all time rushing leader had he not been injured.  Whats a guy gotta do?  Both of you are WRONG! 

The debate was Joe Namath vs Curtis Martin, dude.  And I absolutely can use 1 game for my argument.  Especially since that's not the only time it happened.  Martin failed to produce in quite a few big games.  In 5 of his 12 career postseason games, he finished with less than 4 YPC.  And in his 7 postseason games with the Jets, he only had 3 total TD's and had just 2 100+ yard games.  

A RB is largely dependent on his OL.  We all know this.  That's why its never a good idea to try to build around a RB.  The Lions never won sh*t with Barry Sanders.  Nor did the Chargers with LT.  They were both great RBs.  But a great QB beats a great RB every time.  Especially a SB-winning QB who helped revolutionize the QB position (and also changed the league).

• Upvote 1

lmfao

Who gives a f**k?  That's the price he had to play when doing what he did in the NFL at the time (air it out, while DB's could suplex the receivers), and he won a f**king Super Bowl.  Insanity, dude.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

GFY

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The debate was Joe Namath vs Curtis Martin, dude.  And I absolutely can use 1 game for my argument.  Especially since that's not the only time it happened.  Martin failed to produce in quite a few big games.  In 5 of his 12 career postseason games, he finished with less than 4 YPC.  And in his 7 postseason games with the Jets, he only had 3 total TD's.  

A RB is largely dependent on his OL.  We all know this.  That's why its never a good idea to try to build around a RB.  The Lions never won sh*t with Barry Sanders.  Nor did the Chargers with LT.  They were  both great.  But a great QB beats a great RB every time.  Especially a SB-winning QB who helped revolutionize the QB position (and also changed the league)>  

On an all time Jets team Namath is the QB and Martin is the RB. They are two totally different positions and it’s really hard pressed to gauge one against the other. I’ll argue that you and Jif are both arguing over nothing of any relative importance. Football is the ultimate team game.  Practically impossible for any one player to dominate or will their team to win without help. 

13 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

You dogged Martin

So they targeted the 3.5 ypc RB with 8 td's but the All Pro RB that ran for over 2,000 yds and had 20+ td's for the Bronco's wasn't a problem for BB or the Tuna??  Martinette's always have a excuse I wish Sperm Edwards would post his great essay again on the compiler..:rolleyes:

Just now, Maynard13 said:

On an all time Jets team Namath is the QB and Martin is the RB. They are two totally different positions and it’s really hard pressed to gauge one against the other. I’ll argue that you and Jif are both arguing over nothing of any relative importance. Football is the ultimate team game.  Practically impossible for any one player to dominate or will their team to win without help. 

Right, but Joe Namath won a Super Bowl at the most important position in this team sport.  It's not apples and oranges.  It's a CEO vs. a regional manager.  The CEO is the more important and more difficult job, so the one that had more success is greater.

• Upvote 1

Right, but Joe Namath won a Super Bowl at the most important position in this team sport.  It's not apples and oranges.  It's a CEO vs. a regional manager.  The CEO is the more important and more difficult job, so the one that had more success is greater.
More like CEO and CFO or CTO

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk