Not like last years team with Gase

AL047

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Not at all, that would be the equation you presented.  God you're terrible even when I concede.

Concede? You said it was all just a troll once you got cornered. That’s not a concession, that’s a cop out. Almost as bad as “someone else was on my phone!”

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’ve always felt players like money more than football. I do. 

The Jets had an OLman, Todd Burger in 1998.  He was part of our tailgate after he was done playing.  He told me more than a few times that fans would be surprised how many players didnt play with any love of the game, only for the love of money.  He always used Jumbo Elliot as an example.  Said he hated football.  I remember someone saying that Braylon Edwards didnt love football, he loved what football could do for him.

Thats why the Curtis Martin bitch always makes me laugh.  Who cares, he worked his ass off and produced bleeding green along the way

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Packers Tame Sanders, Leave Lions Beaten : NFC playoffs: NFL’s top running back is held to minus one yard as Detroit is stunned,16-12, at Green Bay.  It happens to the best and it's not always on them.  Martin is the best RB in Jets history and its not even close.

I love Curtis Martin, but Freeman McNeill is the Jet back i would want in a must win game. Better yards per carry than Martin and way better yards per catch than Martin. Plus, Freeman had some totally dominant playoff games. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I love Curtis Martin, but Freeman McNeill is the Jet back i would want in a must win game. Better yards per carry than Martin and way better yards per catch than Martin. Plus, Freeman had some totally dominant playoff games. 

I used to think the same thing but Freeman had only 2 1,000 yard seasons and 4 seasons of under and one just over 500 yards.  

Martin had 10 seasons with over 1,000 yards.

I cant really sweat about .5 per carry over twice as many carries.  Freeman had 3 playoff games, as did Martin

Martin was the better player IMO

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I used to think the same thing but Freeman had only 2 1,000 yard seasons and 4 seasons of under and one just over 500 yards.  

Martin had 10 seasons with over 1,000 yards.

I cant really sweat about .5 per carry over twice as many carries.  Freeman had 3 playoff games, as did Martin

Martin was the better player IMO

In 2002 Martin was short of getting to 1,000 yds so in the last 4 games he got all the carries to get him over the mark. Remember last year when Gore got the most carries to get to 16 thousand?? In fairness to Freeman he was in a multiple back system he never had a 300 carry season. There was Hector, Harper, Scott Dirking and others that also got carries..

• Upvote 1

somehow an observation about the current team has devolved into an argument over martin vs mcneil vs namath vs maynard and so on.  they were all great players and maybe their passion for the actual game was suspect.  they all capitalized on their god given talent.  who knows what any of them would've achieved if not for football.

as for the current team, it's early.  just about every coach will have good things to say about the players.  they all want competition in camp to weed out the good from the bad.  and i think every team wants the younger players to push the older guys out.  this is the way it should be.  how will these jets perform?  we won't know until september and even there the team really won't be in stride until october or even november.  a few lucky breaks and this team could surprise in a good way.

5 hours ago, Savage69 said:

In 2002 Martin was short of getting to 1,000 yds so in the last 4 games he got all the carries to get him over the mark. Remember last year when Gore got the most carries to get to 16 thousand?? In fairness to Freeman he was in a multiple back system he never had a 300 carry season. There was Hector, Harper, Scott Dirking and others that also got carries..

mcneil was also a bit fragile.  when he was able to play he was great.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Savage69 said:

He has 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons and youre whining about his 2002 season "only" being around 1,100 yards because he had 4 big games at the end of the season?  Would have changed things if they were earlier in the season.  When he was fresh?  In 2004 at what 31 he had just under 1,700 yards?  

Freeman was one of my favorite Jets.  But he was brittle and wasnt available.  Somehow Martins availability, his toughness is a knock to a few people, who put their love of say a Lamont Jordan over a all time great Jet.  Check that an all time great NFL player.  Martin got the carries because of who is is, not because no one else could do it.

You make fun of Jets fans who whine about their own players, have called them the sky is falling group while you constantly shlt on Curtis Martin. 

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He has 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons and youre whining about his 2002 season "only" being around 1,100 yards because he had 4 big games at the end of the season?  Would have changed things if they were earlier in the season.  When he was fresh?  In 2004 at what 31 he had just under 1,700 yards?  

Freeman was one of my favorite Jets.  But he was brittle and wasnt available.  Somehow Martins availability, his toughness is a knock to a few people, who put their love of say a Lamont Jordan over a all time great Jet.  Check that an all time great NFL player.  Martin got the carries because of who is is, not because no one else could do it.

You make fun of Jets fans who whine about their own players, have called them the sky is falling group while you constantly shlt on Curtis Martin. 

Just to be clear, I am not sh*tting on Curtis Martin. He was great. I'd take Martin over Freeman as my franchise RB every day of the week., but if I had to win one game and I had my choice of a healthy Freeman or Curtis in their prime, I'd take Freeman every day of the week. This is no knock on Martin. Rather, it is an acknowledgment of just how good a healthy Freeman McNeill was.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who have I made fun of?? If your referring to the chicken little brigade phrase I've used in the past that's for people that always think the worst is coming. Was Martin a good durable back yes but was he worth a 1st and 3rd pick and a huge salary for what he did IMO no.. To me there there were backs that had a  wow factor, take Gale Sayers did he have huge stats no but if you saw him play you knew he was special. Yes in 2004 Martin had just under 1700 yds on the most carries of his career thanks to Holmgren sitting Alexander and 2 overtime games he won the rushing title by 1 yd.. Next season Alexander got the same amount of carries and he had 1880 and 27 td's . I agree with Sonny in a big game I would take Freeman, Snell, Riggens and others over the compiler.. BTW fans can hate Namath or any other Jet it's their right as fans but to Martinette's I don't seem to have the same right..:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The Jets had an OLman, Todd Burger in 1998.  He was part of our tailgate after he was done playing.  He told me more than a few times that fans would be surprised how many players didnt play with any love of the game, only for the love of money.  He always used Jumbo Elliot as an example.  Said he hated football.  I remember someone saying that Braylon Edwards didnt love football, he loved what football could do for him.

Thats why the Curtis Martin bitch always makes me laugh.  Who cares, he worked his ass off and produced bleeding green along the way

Yep and guys who play for "hated rivals" are hanging out during the off season all the time. Players love playing for their team, hate rivals like fans, and are expected to show loyalty during contract time is clever league marketing to build consumable storylines (like pro wrestling).

Guaranteed if a Jets player happened upon a Jets fan fighting a Pats player he'd jump in on the side of his NFL brother.

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Just to be clear, I am not sh*tting on Curtis Martin. He was great. I'd take Martin over Freeman as my franchise RB every day of the week., but if I had to win one game and I had my choice of a healthy Freeman or Curtis in their prime, I'd take Freeman every day of the week. This is no knock on Martin. Rather, it is an acknowledgment of just how good a healthy Freeman McNeill was.

Sorry, Sonny.  I wasnt referencing you, S69 always complains about CM.  Mostly because he loved Lamont Jordan and believes that CM would complain about LJ.  

I loved Freeman, takes me back to when I first got my season tickets at Shea, got to see him as a rookie.