If Saleh really believes in "all gas, no brakes", then which players from last year get cut? I have 2 for you right off the bat.

Alka

Edoga was a player that the Jets drafted in the 3rd round, who was thought to have 1st round potential, but was considered somewhat lazy.  Until now, he never played up to that 1st round potential, and IMO has not lived up to his 3rd round pick.  He is the epitome of "all brakes, no gas".  If Saleh is serious, then Edoga gets cut this year.

Herndon is an enigma, in that for at least the 1st half of 2020, was missing on the field, and went from a budding star, to garbage.  He played better down the stretch, but is he really a "all gas, no brakes" player?  Unless he is able to convince Saleh and company that he is the player at the beginning of his career, he should be cut.  I don't believe that any other NFL team would take him in a trade for anything other than possibly a 7th round draft pick.

Talent is not what Saleh is selling on the Jets.  He is selling the idea that on each and every day, you as a player are doing everything you possibly can to improve from the day before, get better and try harder.  I wonder how many other players from last year do not fit into that mold?

30 minutes ago, Alka said:

Edoga was a player that the Jets drafted in the 3rd round, who was thought to have 1st round potential, but was considered somewhat lazy.  Until now, he never played up to that 1st round potential, and IMO has not lived up to his 3rd round pick.  He is the epitome of "all brakes, no gas".  If Saleh is serious, then Edoga gets cut this year.

Herndon is an enigma, in that for at least the 1st half of 2020, was missing on the field, and went from a budding star, to garbage.  He played better down the stretch, but is he really a "all gas, no brakes" player?  Unless he is able to convince Saleh and company that he is the player at the beginning of his career, he should be cut.  I don't believe that any other NFL team would take him in a trade for anything other than possibly a 7th round draft pick.

Talent is not what Saleh is selling on the Jets.  He is selling the idea that on each and every day, you as a player are doing everything you possibly can to improve from the day before, get better and try harder.  I wonder how many other players from last year do not fit into that mold?

Edoga I agree with.  Never liked the pick.

Herndon, as you stated, is an enigma.  Don't think he's dogging it, but he sure hasn't hit near his potential.  Wrote last year off as Gase just misusing the TE's, but he better get his butt in gear in camp.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think you are taking a catch phrase a bit too literally.  You don't  get rid of a player unless another player takes his spot. Instead of saying this guy seems lazy or didn't  live up to expectations you should tell us who will replace him. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Anyone drafted by Mccagnan outside of Quinnen is on borrowed time.

Perhaps even him. Fifth year option decision time is often an inflection point. Teams and players start to probe into each others' expectations and funny things can happen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

you dont sell low on young cheap players, you see what they can do inside the walls of a good system and good leadeship. if they dont perform, you cut bait.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

Depends on what type of gas Saleh is talking about.

He could have meant that he would act flexibly, like a Ideal Gas Law-type leadership, in which gases behave differently in different circumstances. In which case, his actions depend on the circumstances.

NERD

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Gase was a terrible HC.  Macc was a terrible GM.  So the number of players making the roster from that era is likely to be small.

But there is an attitude of "wishing" these players to fail.  That makes no sense.  Guys deserve the opportunity to come to camp and show the new coaches what they can do.

Do I think Herndon and Edoga will make it?  No.  But if they turn their careers around under Saleh I will be thrilled.

There have been years where I think there were Jets roster spots available for guys who couldn't play anywhere else in the NFL.  That's no longer true.  There is real competition now.  And that's a good thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

Depends on what type of gas Saleh is talking about.

He could have meant that he would act flexibly, like a Ideal Gas Law-type leadership, in which gases behave differently in different circumstances. In which case, his actions depend on the circumstances.

The name's Saleh, Bob Saleh.

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Finish Him GIF by memecandy

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

Edoga I agree with.  Never liked the pick.

Herndon, as you stated, is an enigma.  Don't think he's dogging it, but he sure hasn't hit near his potential.  Wrote last year off as Gase just misusing the TE's, but he better get his butt in gear in camp.

Edoga was a wasted pick. Said so day 1. 

• Upvote 2

Nice thread.   Hopefully this is a staff that's going to rewards effort and commitment.  Talent alone doesn't cut it in the NFL.  The guys who are great love it and get after it.  Nothing worse than real talent that doesn't care.   One of the things Zach, Moore and Tucker seem to bring to the table besides enormous talent is love of the game and a huge work ethic.   Talented guys who don't bring it should get moved.  

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree. Herndon gives people erections on this board and has done NOTHING besides being inconsistent and unavailable. 

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think you are taking a catch phrase a bit too literally.  You don't  get rid of a player unless another player takes his spot. Instead of saying this guy seems lazy or didn't  live up to expectations you should tell us who will replace him. 

A guy that emits gas….see Becton. All Gas No Brakes and air freshener.

This year is definitely Blake Cashmans one and ONLY make or break year. In what limited time I saw him play, he's a very nice linebacker with pretty good smarts/instincts. But he cannot stay healthy. This is his only chance to heal, stay upright, and start contributing. If he gets injured even mildly, I believe he's gone....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

This year is definitely Blake Cashmans one and ONLY make or break year. In what limited time I saw him play, he's a very nice linebacker with pretty good smarts/instincts. But he cannot stay healthy. This is his only chance to heal, stay upright, and start contributing. If he gets injured even mildly, I believe he's gone....

As Bill Polian said last night, some players have NFL bodies, some don't.  Cashman does not. 

20 hours ago, jgb said:

Perhaps even him. Fifth year option decision time is often an inflection point. Teams and players start to probe into each others' expectations and funny things can happen.

I agree that sometimes funny things happen in any NFL career and that we should properly look at year-5 of a top draft choice with suspicion..... but with that said, Quinnen Williams turned into a bona fide monster for us last year and I think his trajectory is locked in.  Good for us in this case.

• Upvote 1