If Saleh really believes in "all gas, no brakes", then which players from last year get cut? I have 2 for you right off the bat.

Alka

can't argue much with edoga and herndon.  both of those guys really need to step up last season and the season before and didn't.  i'm sure there are other.  austin may be one since he came in with high expectations.  he apparently has overcome his college injuries.  now he has to play the position better.

22 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

Depends on what type of gas Saleh is talking about.

He could have meant that he would act flexibly, like a Ideal Gas Law-type leadership, in which gases behave differently in different circumstances. In which case, his actions depend on the circumstances.

I didn’t realize that Herndon is on the books for over $2M this season. He’ll be given every opportunity to win the starting job but, if he doesn’t pop in camp, he could be a camp casualty. That would be disappointing. He should be dominating this sorry group of TEs, but he’s just not. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I didn’t realize that Herndon is on the books for over $2M this season. He’ll be given every opportunity to win the starting job but, if he doesn’t pop in camp, he could be a camp casualty. That would be disappointing. He should be dominating this sorry group of TEs, but he’s just not. 

Many blame Gase and Darnold for his failure. 

On 6/24/2021 at 11:17 AM, jgb said:

Perhaps even him. Fifth year option decision time is often an inflection point. Teams and players start to probe into each others' expectations and funny things can happen.

I agree. Unless he becomes a consistently dominate penetrator/disrupt-er he won't get a huge contract which he'll be looking for.  

• Upvote 1

La’Mical Perine is another guy who might not make the roster. Coleman and Carter are locks, and I could see the coaches preferring the upside of Johnson and Adams over him. His best attribute is his versatility, but Coleman does everything Perine does. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, jgb said:

Perhaps even him. Fifth year option decision time is often an inflection point. Teams and players start to probe into each others' expectations and funny things can happen.

This defense is predicated on strong front four play. It’s worth noting that when Saleh wanted to name an elite player as an example, he went with Aaron Donald. That would suggest that he values the position. QW was a rare bright spot on the team last year, and this defense should be much better suited to his talents, especially with Lawson lined up next to him. As Jet fans, we’ve come to devalue DTs, but it’s still a premium position. Anything can happen and, as a former #3 overall pick, his fifth year option won’t be small, but he’s definitely on the trajectory to collect. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, slats said:

This defense is predicated on strong front four play. It’s worth noting that when Saleh wanted to name an elite player as an example, he went with Aaron Donald. That would suggest that he values the position. QW was a rare bright spot on the team last year, and this defense should be much better suited to his talents, especially with Lawson lined up next to him. As Jet fans, we’ve come to devalue DTs, but it’s still a premium position. Anything can happen and, as a former #3 overall pick, his fifth year option won’t be small, but he’s definitely on the trajectory to collect. 

It will be interesting to see how and if opinion of him on here changes once he wants to be paid $20M/yr.

• Haha 1

2019 - The plan was  "Bank Roll A Gase"

2021 - The plan is  "All Gas No Brake"

The letters are the same but the message totally different. 

I couldn't care if we use  "Break Anal Logs" or "Alas Large Knob" as a catchphrase if it brings about the success we all crave . 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, slats said:

La’Mical Perine is another guy who might not make the roster. Coleman and Carter are locks, and I could see the coaches preferring the upside of Johnson and Adams over him. His best attribute is his versatility, but Coleman does everything Perine does. 

If Douglas cuts Perine, it would be a negative on his draft record but a positive for his ability to recognize mistakes and fix them. Who knows, Perine might find his way and become a contributor on the back end of the roster. 

• Upvote 2

Edoga is definitely a longshot to make the roster. Herndon is a very different story. He looked like a top-10 TE in the making in his rookie year. Then the team hired Adam Gase, a coach notorious - among other things - for never using his TEs. For example, in 2018 (Gase's last year in Miami), Miami's TEs got a total of 53 targets. In 2019 and 2020, Miami TEs got 103 and then 136 targets.

NYJ TEs got 61 targets last year, and 57 the year before. In Herndon's "good" year in 2018, he got 56 targets all by himself. 

The reality is that Gase's offense was the worst possible system for Herndon; it didn't treat TEs as a serious weapon or design plays for TEs to succeed. One thing we know about the Shanahan offense is it puts TEs in a position to succeed.

Does that mean Herndon will be a breakout player this year? Of course not. But it means he'll be in a better position to do well than he has been since his rookie year, so there's a chance he could be a real asset.

• Upvote 1

Their are plenty of self starters but a lot of people become a product of the environment they're in. They will go with the flow and do as little as they feel is required of them to get by. Maybe these guys are just turds that never amount to anything but it's possible that a culture change could push them and get the most out of them. We know Gase is the turdiest turd of all.

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If Douglas cuts Perine, it would be a negative on his draft record but a positive for his ability to recognize mistakes and fix them. Who knows, Perine might find his way and become a contributor on the back end of the roster. 

Agreed on both counts. I wouldn’t be upset if he cut Perine or Ashtyn Davis or Zuniga, instead I’d actually be encouraged that he didn’t feel the need to hold onto players just because they were his picks.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, joebracken33 said:

2019 - The plan was  "Bank Roll A Gase"

2021 - The plan is  "All Gas No Brake"

The letters are the same but the message totally different. 

I couldn't care if we use  "Break Anal Logs" or "Alas Large Knob" as a catchphrase if it brings about the success we all crave . 

Break Anal Logs!

:rl: 

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Edoga is definitely a longshot to make the roster. Herndon is a very different story. He looked like a top-10 TE in the making in his rookie year. Then the team hired Adam Gase, a coach notorious - among other things - for never using his TEs. For example, in 2018 (Gase's last year in Miami), Miami's TEs got a total of 53 targets. In 2019 and 2020, Miami TEs got 103 and then 136 targets.

NYJ TEs got 61 targets last year, and 57 the year before. In Herndon's "good" year in 2018, he got 56 targets all by himself. 

The reality is that Gase's offense was the worst possible system for Herndon; it didn't treat TEs as a serious weapon or design plays for TEs to succeed. One thing we know about the Shanahan offense is it puts TEs in a position to succeed.

Does that mean Herndon will be a breakout player this year? Of course not. But it means he'll be in a better position to do well than he has been since his rookie year, so there's a chance he could be a real asset.

My prediction for Herndon is that he will alternate between showing flashes and then disappearing. I hope that I am wrong, and he becomes an integral part of the offense. I will eat gas station sushi if I am wrong. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Agreed on both counts. I wouldn’t be upset if he cut Perine or Ashtyn Davis or Zuniga, instead I’d actually be encouraged that he didn’t feel the need to hold onto players just because they were his picks.  

I can see Perine being cut, but I can't see Zuniga being cut until at least next year. He is cheap depth.

I think Davis sticks around for his rookie contract. I'd like to see him in a Saleh/Ulbrich defense before we send him off to the glue factory. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, genot said:

My surprise cut would be Bless Austin. A lot of unproven options back there. Austin gets lost too much in coverage, and on a few occasions didn't get back into the play out of frustration. Could be a surprise cut

Austin was really solid his first year but was sort of lost last year. Williams had him in a lot of off man, and that was definitely not his strength. We have a ton of other young QBs so if Bless does not really adapt to the new scheme you could be right. I do not see them bringing in a vet CB because they would have to cut another of the young guys.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

With only a $167K dead cap hit.  I think the right move is to let him play out his rookie deal, but would not be surprised at all if Saleh and Douglas decide someone else deserves the roster spot.  

Thanks Macc.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I think Perine is already a negative on Douglas' draft record regardless.  Knowing that Ty Johnson is a safe bet to be ahead of Perine on the depth chart, plus Douglas added 2 new RB's to the roster, suggests Perine is buried on the depth chart at best and a goner at worst.  So Douglas might as well cut his losses there if Perine doesn't make strides this summer and he can't be a contributor on ST's.