Steelers release David DeCastro

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Alan Faneca?

They got two decent seasons out of Faneca and even then, his pass blocking was poor. The Jets paid way too much for Faneca.  DeCastro is ready for his second career.  Douglas is not likely to take him on for anything above 1 year vet min. 

There’s about 3 guys every time I hear their names I remember the draft nights we didn’t draft them.l and my instant regret.

one is David decastro who Tanny said they were 49% him and 51% Quinten Coples.

the other is Calvin cook, see Marcus Maye 

and weirdly the other is gabe Jackson, see Mcdougal 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

There’s about 3 guys every time I hear their names I remember the draft nights we didn’t draft them.l and my instant regret.

one is David decastro who Tanny said they were 49% him and 51% Quinten Coples.

the other is Calvin cook, see Marcus Maye 

and weirdly the other is gabe Jackson, see Mcdougal 

There are so many dumb moves youd likely need a Top 50. But not taking either Watson or Mahomes with our QB situation was idiotic. But then again we had maybe the most bewildering drafting GM like ever. None of his pics ever made sense. 

I think one of my lowest points as a Jets tan was NFL or ESPN cutting to the Jets draft room and McCagnan was the only one in it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Barkus said:

Never sign a player released by the Steelers, it rarely works out. See lev bell, santonio Holmes, plaxico Buress, mike Webster, Antonio brown, etc.

I’d modify that to never sign for big money a skill player released by the Steelers 

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Plaxico Burress didn't work out for the Giants?  They won a super bowl and he had 10 more TDs in 4 years with the Giants than 6 years with the Steelers. i

Yep. Swap him out in favor of Yancey Thigpen.

O'Donnell wasn't exactly a resounding success here. $5MM/year a quarter century ago :bag: 

I doubt the Steelers released him if he was going to be healthy this season.  While he is well-paid and there are probably salary considerations if he is not the starter, I would pass unless and until he passes a physical.  If I am the Jets, I have to be certain that I am getting him healthy enough to play a few more seasons.  I would be very wary of creating another Keleche Osemele situation where - at best - the two parties misunderstood each other.  Since either the Jets were inept and did not examine his shoulder properly or were clueless and did not convey that he was going to be expected to play that season.  Or both.  Later events suggest cluelessness since the Jets clearly thought he was going to play that season and had to know about the shoulder. 

One clue that this was coming was the Steelers grabbing the zone guard Kendrick Green in the 3d round.  I wanted him badly for us before the draft. 

6 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I doubt the Steelers released him if he was going to be healthy this season.  While he is well-paid and there are probably salary considerations if he is not the starter, I would pass unless and until he passes a physical.  If I am the Jets, I have to be certain that I am getting him healthy enough to play a few more seasons.  I would be very wary of creating another Keleche Osemele situation where - at best - the two parties misunderstood each other.  Since either the Jets were inept and did not examine his shoulder properly or were clueless and did not convey that he was going to be expected to play that season.  Or both.  Later events suggest cluelessness since the Jets clearly thought he was going to play that season and had to know about the shoulder. 

One clue that this was coming was the Steelers grabbing the zone guard Kendrick Green in the 3d round.  I wanted him badly for us before the draft. 

Doesn’t every player take a physical before signing a contract unless perhaps they are already known to be hurt up front?

On 6/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, Barkus said:

Never sign a player released by the Steelers, it rarely works out. See lev bell, santonio Holmes, plaxico Buress, mike Webster, Antonio brown, etc.

Brown just won a SB, Burgess was our best WR one year, holmes played good for us for a couple, bell had one good season left before case wasted it. I like how you didn't mention fanaca...nice nice move , I mean if you don't look up stats you can almost get away what your saying

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/david_decastro_bashes_steelers_for_how_they_released_him/s1_127_35243699

It’s safe to say veteran offensive lineman David DeCastro is not happy with how he was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

DeCastro, a starter for the Steelers his entire career, was released Thursday by the team with a non-football injury designation and immediately replaced by free-agent signing Trai Turner. The reasons appeared purely financial, as the Steelers were able to open up an extra $5.75 million in cap space by swapping DeCastro out for Turner. The non-football injury designation also means DeCastro will not be paid much of what he was owed as he entered the final season of his current deal, which carried a $14.2 million cap hit.

DeCastro knows this was about money. On Friday, he took a clear shot at the organization for the non-football injury designation on the release.

Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) Tweeted:
When @937theFan Steelers reporter @JColony13 asked David DeCastro about the "non-football injury" release designation DeCastro said: "The owners are billionaires for a reason."

The NFL can be a ruthless place. DeCastro was a two-time All-Pro and one of the team’s longest-tenured players, but when health and finances come into play, anything can happen.

One interesting thing will be how Ben Roethlisberger reacts to this. After losing another offensive lineman he was very close with at the end of last season, he can’t be happy to see DeCastro phased out like this.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Assuming he heals well this guy might be coming back with a chip on his shoulder in 2022. Wouldn't mind having 2nd year AVT & Chip on shoulder DeCastro as our guards.

Would it be a terrible idea to just sign him now, or perhaps midseason, and stash him on IR?  I guess he wouldn't pass a physical at the moment...

• Post of the Week 1