What Jet player do you predict will be biggest disappointment this year?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zach Wilson. Not because I’m rooting for him to fail, but because you’re all a bunch of unrealistic lunatics and the expectations you have for him are based  in LSD and 13 different personality disord

Braden Mann, but only for the sexiest reasons.

Mims is a great start.  But quite frankly, I'm prepared for all involved to disappoint me.  It's just beaten in to me.

Posted Images

Zach Wilson can never disappoint the majority of the fanbase. Doesn’t matter what the expectations are today (and they are grand), the excuse wagons will circle if he doesn’t perform well. 

I believe Davis will be the biggest disappointment. Runner-up, Lawson.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Zach Wilson can never disappoint the majority of the fanbase. Doesn’t matter what the expectations are today (and they are grand), the excuse wagons will circle if he doesn’t perform well. 

Corey, Ashtyn, or both?

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Bechton. 

You dont think BECTON was good last year so how could you be disappointed this year?

You did mean Becton?

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Wilson is winning MVP. Forget rookie of the year

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
3 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Wilson is winning MVP. Forget rookie of the year

Exhibit A. Expectations are extreme but even if Wilson flops the goal posts will move and most will convince themselves that Wilson will still be good the next year, or the next, or the next…

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Corey, Ashtyn, or both?

Ah sorry I meant Corey. To be disappointed, there has to be a delta between expectation and ultimate performance. Luke Falk never disappointed me.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jgb said:

Ah sorry I meant Corey. To be disappointed, there has to be a delta between expectation and ultimate performance. Luke Falk never disappointed me.

See my ZAchAbOn00 comment.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You dont think BECTON was good last year so how could you be disappointed this year?

You did mean Becton?

No reason for the spelling wise cracks.  

I said you guys were overrating his performance and you were.  I still expected him to be better this year and think he will be but I also don't think he's going to see the field very much.

He wasn't drafted in the first round to play 12 games a year.  Although, I think I'm being generous to project that many.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

See my ZAchAbOn00 comment.

There will be the biggest gap between expectation and performance with Zach, that is true. However, as we've all seen so many times, fans are much more likely to retroactively downgrade expectations for a highly-drafted QB or convince themselves that more time is needed before accepting what is in front of them.

I am not saying Zach will bust and certainly not hoping for it. Only that he will not reach most fans' current expectations this season but that most will not be disappointed but rather convince themselves that he "flashed" or "is on a good trajectory" and either modify or discount their prior expectation.

14 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

its like this thread was created for you!

I think if you read my post, you should see I'm arguing against thinking about 2021 is terms of "disappointment".

i.e. I'm arguing a much more positive slant here.  If anyone is disappointed this year, it means their own expectations were set too high.

This is one of the clearest "just let it all play out" kinda years in a long time.  Almost nothing is a sure thing, almost nothing is known in advance as to how they'll do.  Which is nice, it's refreshing.

But it's the antithesis of "setting expectation" or thinking about the year in terms of who will "disappoint" vs. some arbitrary fan-based expectation.

Based on the facts to date, for example, no one here should have ANY "expectation" for a guy like Mims.  None.  He showed absolutely nothing last year to warrant expectations.  If he plays well (and he might), great!  If he doesn't, ok, he hasn't given any reason to expect he will so far, so expecting him to be great is just silly and foolish fans being fans.  Just let the kid play.

This is a year where there is just no point (IMO) is crushing our Jets with the weight on unrealistic expectations.  And without those expectations, outside disaster, there should really be no disappointment.  About the only disappointment would be being worse than we were under Gase, and I just don't se that happening.

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No reason for the spelling wise cracks.  

I said you guys were overrating his performance and you were.  I still expected him to be better this year and think he will be but I also don't think he's going to see the field very much.

He wasn't drafted in the first round to play 12 games a year.  Although, I think I'm being generous to project that many.

You need to light up, it was a joke.

I didnt overrate his performance. 

He was a rookie.  In a COVID-19 year.  No OTA's.  No camp.  No preseason.

He played 12 games, lots of college kids come out and need to be molded physically.  Another example would be Quinnen Williams.  He played like a 1st rounder should, better in fact than lots of OLmen picked 11 or higher.  Maybe you should rewatch tape instead of looking for reasons or numbers that back up your predraft predictions that he would struggle 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

There will be the biggest gap between expectation and performance with Zach, that is true. However, as we've all seen so many times, fans are much more likely to retroactively downgrade expectations for a highly-drafted QB or convince themselves that more time is needed before accepting what is in front of them.

I am not saying Zach will bust and certainly not hoping for it. Only that he will not reach most fans' current expectations this season but that most will not be disappointed but rather convince themselves that he "flashed" or "is on a good trajectory" and either modify or discount their prior expectation.

Yep we’re 100% aligned.

Well, this is difficult because I don't really have any great expectations for the majority of the team. If I were to opine on the biggest disappointment to the majority of Jets fans, it's Zach Wilson hands down. Personally though, I'm not expecting much so it won't be significant enough. Second biggest disappointment to the majority of fans will almost certainly be CJ, but again, I'm expecting him to be sub-par given the incredible time off since he last played a full game.

If I had to choose, the only players I really have any expectations for are Mims, Becton, Q, AVT, Moore, and M. Carter. Even then, the latter 3 are rookies and the first 2 are second year players. Still, I need to see consistent solid play from these 6 to have any real hope for the future. If babyface can even be a top 25 QB and play 15 games in year 1, it's honestly a win in my book. Anyone else who can contribute positively will be a great surprise.

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

All the WR's not named Crowder.

Zack, obviously, as the hype is massive and exceeding this places current expectations for him borderline impossible.

The entire Defense, especially Lawson.

The Coaching staff.

I mean really, objectively, expectations should be set pretty low this year (eliminating "being disappointed" due to overhype) given the almost total changeover of the roster, the number of young/inexperienced players, the lack of time playing together, and the new staff and new system they're all trying to implement.

Asking Fans to be reasonable is like asking Lemmings not to fall off a cliff, but for for 2021, it's warranted.  Nothing about 2021 is a sure thing for the Jets, and no one should have such expectations they'll be all that disappointed if X or Y isn't great.

The Jets...you're naming the entire team. 

• Upvote 1

our gms top two draft picks from the last draft-the fat unmotivated guy and the soft guy that was outproduced by Berrrios-cruel but true

mims has all of the makings of our own modern day stephen hill-he will be our wr 4 or wr 5

I do have high hopes for our other WRS  Moore in particular -he will be everything the Mims fanboys said Mims will be

19 hours ago, fullblast said:

Connor Hughes mentioned on a recent podcast that Mims dealt with a food poisoning issue throughout OTAs so that might have contributed to his sub par performance. Said he ended up losing weight as a result of it. Can only hope he bounces back in training camp.

maybe he had a tainted tossed salad

3 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

image.jpeg.e726d228d02781c7bc2a9c53289d1daa.jpeg
Becton. 

its a tough injury,,,needs LONG time to insure it stays gone,,one injury you cant rush

Becton said he wanted to play at 350.  He showed up to the COMBINE at 360.  The combine.  Where you build your value, increase your draft stock and make your money.  He showed up at 360.  He's 385 easy right now.  Meanwhile Tristan Wirfs broke Iowa's powerlifting records, beating Branden Scherff's mark by 450 lbs., four times .  Still can't see how Douglass valued Becton over Wirfs.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu6vGUkhiqW/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

7 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Becton said he wanted to play at 350.  He showed up to the COMBINE at 360.  The combine.  Where you build your value, increase your draft stock and make your money.  He showed up at 360.  He's 385 easy right now.  Meanwhile Tristan Wirfs broke Iowa's powerlifting records, beating Branden Scherff's mark by 450 lbs., four times .  Still can't see how Douglass valued Becton over Wirfs.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu6vGUkhiqW/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

i think only thing keeping becton from total dominance is liking mommas cooking too much.. Added weight magnifies and injury. He can NOT heal from current injury with weight he at....almost a physics equation...

He has to control his maturity and dedication to nutrition for a lousy 10 years to make his wealthy and take care of several generations of his family.

22 hours ago, ncjetman said:

worried about mims - don’t know why he was working with the 2’s in ota’s - had such high hopes for him - gonna watch training camp reports closely- also agree about herndon - these guys have to practice with their hair on fire

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

No need to worry about Mims, for the first time in a long time we have a VERY TALENTED WR room.  Mims will get his chance to shine, just be patient.  

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Probably because Becton is a LT and Wirfs is a RT until he proves otherwise.

The physical strength from Wirfs is impressive, but whatever Becton benched is kind of irrelevant, as he was throwing guys around like rag dolls at times last season.  I can't imagine Wirfs having much more, if any, "playing strength" than Becton demonstrated.

I think Becton feels like a candidate, although that's all about health. I think if he's healthy he'll be very good. The foot injury scares me.

Mims practicing with the 2s in OTAs isn't a great sign.

Those are probably the only two players who should be good/major contributers that I am a little worried about.

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably because Becton is a LT and Wirfs is a RT until he proves otherwise.

The physical strength from Wirfs is impressive, but whatever Becton benched is kind of irrelevant, as he was throwing guys around like rag dolls at times last season.  I can't imagine Wirfs having much more, if any, "playing strength" than Becton demonstrated.

Its not the strength I'm talking about.  Its the drive.  Wirfs talked about walking past the gym on the way to class and dreaming about the day he would break the record.  that speaks to something more than sets and reps.  Its character and determination and a will to succeed.  That's what he's got over Becton.