Worst or most embarrassing concert that you've seen live.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:58 PM, munchmemory said:

I saw Elvis (I'm assuming you mean Costello) a few times and he was fantastic.  Great band and he sang/played flawlessly.

Honestly, I never got Bruce.   I appreciate his skill as a songwriter/performer.  But was just a bit corny for me.  

Seen Springsteen and U2 both bunch of times. And every band to some degree falls back and the thing they do. It's an easy living. But both kind of the same thing; both got ridiculously famous at a young age and ever since pretty much do the same stuff over and over and over and over.

Saw Eric Church a few years back and got into a conversation with some super fan who chewed my ear off how Eric Church was "the Springsteen of country" because he plays 3+ hours every night . Is that really always a good thing? 

• Sympathy 1

I've had so many it's actually a really tough call.

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page was effed up when I saw him on the outrider tour 1988. There was two guys on either side of the stage that we're pushing him back in bounds if you know what I mean. Then the lead singer ****ed up the words to Stairway to Heaven. They stopped the song halfway through and he said we're sorry we all have the flu!! The crowd was pretty much ready to kill and it was a downpour outside so you couldn't even find Roy Rogers chicken!

• Upvote 1

I was dating a model who was already about 4 in taller than me when I took her to a Bob Dylan concert in the early 2000s at Jones Beach.

I totally love Bobby D, and I mean no disrespect but the first three songs sounded like he was coughing and burping into the microphone. I actually apologized to the model I was dating and tried to focus her attention on the full moon!!

The really odd thing was he didn't have the video screens on the side of the stage turned on, and he almost looked like he was standing sideways and leaning on something like he was a cardboard cutout.

• Upvote 1

In the late 80's, there was a band called Kix.

They were like an AC DC Guns and Roses type of band. They stole the show when they opened up for Ratt and a band called Britny Fox.

The dude in Britney Fox was like a rip off of the band Cinderella, and at one point somebody hit him in the face with a bottle! So he tried to get the crowd behind him and be like let's kick that guy's ass and everybody was just like Boo and f*** you!

• Haha 2

Kelly Clarkson.

Almost forgot about that one.  I was at a conference in Philly several years back and one of our vendors hired Kelly Clarkson to do a private show.  I was invited and had little choice but to go.  Actually I think it was a prospect who was bidding on our business.  They didn't win the bid.

• Haha 3

Back in the day somebody always had Allman Brothers tickets. I never owned one of their albums but I saw them live about 15 times.

I believe it was the Brendan Byrne Arena and they had this funky parking situation where

you parked at The Meadowlands and had to walk across this big wooden bridge.

Well when you smoke angel dust with the security guard it seems like that bridge that goes on for Miles, especially in the fog. So I kind of got lost that night on the bridge. I kept walking back and forth and changing my mind for about three hours.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I just told my best story ever about the Black Crowes at the Beacon Theater and somehow while dropping my phone deleted it so I'll get back to that
Saw Black Crowes shortly after their first album broke. They opened for ZZ Top, who was already basically a novelty act at the time. Crowes were very good, half full arena (fuller than most opening acts at the time, they had some buzz) went nuts for their handful of songs and they came out to play an encore- LZ's Hey Hey What Can I Do. Crowd was screaming for more, Chris Robinson was saying goodnight and explaining that they would love to play another but... and the sound and the lights cut. Stayed for 2 or 3 lame ZZ songs (and 9 or 10 guitar spins) and left.

Crowes got fired from the tour a month later, supposedly over Chris' saying “This is live rock ‘n’ roll being brought to you commercial free.” which angered corporate sponsors of the tour.

• Upvote 3

I was dating a model who was already about 4 in taller than me when I took her to a Bob Dylan concert in the early 2000s at Jones Beach.
I totally love Bobby D, and I mean no disrespect but the first three songs sounded like he was coughing and burping into the microphone. I actually apologized to the model I was dating and tried to focus her attention on the full moon!!
The really odd thing was he didn't have the video screens on the side of the stage turned on, and he almost looked like he was standing sideways and leaning on something like he was a cardboard cutout.
Lol this one cracked me up.
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I would like to throw a boomerang in here real quick and just say that yes Motley Crue sucks live but here's who doesn't suck.

Paul McCartney I saw him five times the guy was incredible. He did a show at the Coliseum I scalped my tickets and upgraded and it was incredible.

Pink Floyd led by David Gilmour was one of the best shows ever. I saw them multiple times throughout the late eighties and early nineties probably five times.

I saw Ozzy just as many times and he only had one bad show at Jones Beach one of the most entertaining guys and concerts you can ever see live. I have great stories about the train ride to the Palladium.

Beastie Boys! You will never have more fun than that. You either get it or you don't. But I'll tell you what I smoked 13 joints with this big Diesel black dude sitting next to me, dancing my ass off like a fool.

The beasties came back from intermission and Shine the spotlight on the dude next to me and asked LL Cool J if he was coming up to rhyme. Needless to say he was type boozy and just pulled his hat down over his face and shook his head no.

Lastly Hall & Oates. Blue-eyed Soul anyone? I happen to be a lead singer I play multiple instruments write my own music Etc. I have an affinity for Soul music and Motown from the 60s and 70s. I bow down to Daryl Hall. The man is impeccable in his timing his rhythm with his voice  and his control.

When you think of Hall and Oates you think of them from the 80s it's hairspray and electronic drums. Not like that at all.

The band consisted mostly of black dudes everybody has sideburns there was a lot of acoustic guitar and harmonies. Definitely in the top five performers I've ever seen.

Anyway hey OP great idea for a thread! I like to share my drinking stories and if you guys don't mind I'll keep them coming!?

This is supposed to be BAD/EMBARASSING concerts!!!   lmfao  

The Beastie Boys are one of the best live shows you could ever see (I'm biased, they're my all time favorite). I've them a dozen times, they are competitive so they took live shows serious.  The best?  Toss up between when they headline Rollins Band, Cypress Hill and Beasties...that show was ******* nuts.  But the last show I ever saw from them was when they headlined Sasquatch around 2006.  Played both nights, 1st night - all instrument jam out session - the sh*t being passed around the night for the psychedelic's, wow.  Second night, pure hip-hop.  It was ******* epic.  So good.  They dominated those Lollapalooza shows back in the day too....put everyone to shame. 

I've seen Hall and Oats twice and both times were an absolute blast. 

Best live show ever?   Rage Against the Machine.  Holy **** do they blow the doors off any show.  Ive seen them a bunch but the one that stands out was seeing them at that really wild Lollapalooza back in the day which featured - Screaming Trees, Rancid, The Ramones, Rage, Sound Garden and Metallica.  They came out in that order and after the Ramones and Rage, I felt so bad from Sound Garden.  They had to follow and it was terrible.  Metallica?  Meh was fun more of a production then anything but still, nobody that day could hold a candle to Rage.  

• Upvote 2

So I think it was Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium. I don't remember ever seeing AC DC live and that's on my bucket list.

So there's this big fat guy at the end of the row and he's collecting all the beer bottles. I think I went and got like four 20 oz beers as I went up to my seat. Obviously I already was partying in the parking lot.

So I try to maneuver past the fat guy to get to the bathroom and I slip on his big wet black Hefty bag oh, and I eat the entire stairway down to the next level. I laid there in typical chalk mark form for the next two songs.

The worst part about it was as I was tumbling down what was probably four flights of stairs, people were throwing out their elbows and legs and trying to help me and catch me and basically were beating the snot out of me.

I still have great stories from the beasties and Lollapalooza at Randall's Island, Jane's Addiction, and The Black Crowes at the Beacon Theater Lol!

you have no idea-

16 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

This is supposed to be BAD/EMBARASSING concerts!!!   lmfao  

The Beastie Boys are one of the best live shows you could ever see (I'm biased, they're my all time favorite). I've them a dozen times, they are competitive so they took live shows serious.  The best?  Toss up between when they headline Rollins Band, Cypress Hill and Beasties...that show was ******* nuts.  But the last show I ever saw from them was when they headlined Sasquatch around 2006.  Played both nights, 1st night - all instrument jam out session - the sh*t being passed around the night for the psychedelic's, wow.  Second night, pure hip-hop.  It was ******* epic.  So good.  They dominated those Lollapalooza shows back in the day too....put everyone to shame. 

I've seen Hall and Oats twice and both times were an absolute blast. 

Best live show ever?   Rage Against the Machine.  Holy **** do they blow the doors off any show.  Ive seen them a bunch but the one that stands out was seeing them at that really wild Lollapalooza back in the day which featured - Screaming Trees, Rancid, The Ramones, Rage, Sound Garden and Metallica.  They came out in that order and after the Ramones and Rage, I felt so bad from Sound Garden.  They had to follow and it was terrible.  Metallica?  Meh was fun more of a production then anything but still, nobody that day could hold a candle to Rage.  

Totally awesome and Blown Away! I would say Beasties are right up there for me with the Beatles, Floyd, Dylan, Stevie Wonder, and probably 30 of my other top favorites.

I was also at the Lollapalooza you mentioned and the Metallica you are 100% correct. I think I saw them three or four times and it just felt commercial land mass produced. Wasn't real stuff. I got the same exact vibe. Let's all yell Seek and Destroy for 15 minutes?

It's sad cuz I really like James Hetfield I've read about him I know what he's been through in his personal life and what his lyrics mean, but sad to say every time I saw them I was pretty unimpressed.

But glad to hear that you're all about the Beasties. I try to turn people on some get it and some don't. They are the gift that keeps on giving and I know you know what I mean. I'm still listening to stuff they did 20 years ago and I hear new things every time. Their humor and their friendship is infectious once you get it. They're like your old friends cracking inside jokes.

Check out Steppenwolf. great story great lyrics. Legally blind German dude that learned English in three years and got a record deal. Btw he's like six foot seven. Born to Be Wild is a bad representation they were  an incredible band.

Peace and nice meet.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Paul McCartney I saw him five times the guy was incredible. He did a show at the Coliseum I scalped my tickets and upgraded and it was incredible.

Saw McCartney about 5 years ago at Miller Park in Milwaukee.  Wasn't really excited about the show, but the wife wanted to see him, so we went.  He put on a great show.  Very entertaining.  Sat behind his piano, or with his guitar, spoke to the audience reminscing about about the music and his amazing career.  He still sounded great and he didn't try to act like something he is not anymore.

One thing I hate about seeing older performers is when a 60+ or 70+ year old performer tries to act like they are still in their 20s or 30s (I am talking about you, Steven Tyler and Rod Stewart).

• Upvote 2

On 6/25/2021 at 2:14 PM, isired said:

Love sites like this:
https://concerts.fandom.com/wiki/Harry_Chapin

These are the shows I remember seeing:
January 3, 1976 Huntington High School, Huntington, NY (Benefit for the PAF Playhouse. Also performing were Pete Seeger and Tom Chapin)

November 14, 1976 Huntington High School, Huntington, NY (2 shows, with Pete Seeger & Steve Goodman benefit of P.A.F. Playhouse)

March 6, 1977 Huntington High Schol, Huntington, NY (2 shows 2.00 & 8.00, with Kenny Rogers, to benefit PAF Playhouse)

June 5, 1977 Huntington High School Auditorium, Huntington, NY (Solo. 2 shows 2.00 & 8.00, with Tom Paxton, Peter Yarrow & Josh White Jr.)

October 30, 1977 Huntington High School Auditorium, Huntington, NY (Solo. 2 shows 2.00 & 8.00, with Richie Havens & Oscar Brand Jr.)

I was 8-9 years old...

I saw Harry at the Stony Brook gym in 76.  Broke my heart when I heard of the LIE accident Ironically near the rte 110 exit, Huntington)  that flipped a truck onto his Volkswagen.  RIP.  Wonderful performer and person.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Cheap Trick '81.

I think it might have been one of the last shows on their tour because they were just going through the motions.  Everyone was bored including the band.  Last 30 minutes the house lights got turned and no one was paying attention to the band just talking amongst themselves.  Had a buddy who worked security for the venue and so I went and found him and he took me back stage.  I swear to god I saw Bun E. Carlos yawn.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Saw McCartney about 5 years ago at Miller Park in Milwaukee.  Wasn't really excited about the show, but the wife wanted to see him, so we went.  He put on a great show.  Very entertaining.  Sat behind his piano, or with his guitar, spoke to the audience reminscing about about the music and his amazing career.  He still sounded great and he didn't try to act like something he is not anymore.

One thing I hate about seeing older performers is when a 60+ or 70+ year old performer tries to act like they are still in their 20s or 30s (I am talking about you, Steven Tyler and Rod Stewart).

I totally get what you're saying and I've seen Paul McCartney do two different versions of yesterday many times.

If you've ever seen the comedian Dana Carvey do his skit called Chopping Broccoli, it's dead on!

In fact I'm going to look it up right now on YouTube! LMFAO

I have two horrific shows in mind.  1st: In 1976, I went to the Hofstra gym to see the Kinks.  There was (for me) an unknown 1st act... but I'll get to that later.  They were beyond horrible.  Did not play in unison, off key on every instrument, their only solution was to make it intolerably loud.  We left in the middle as did many people.  They were hot garbage. 

The salvation for the night was the opening act.  It was sensational with a fresh young band that I don't think anyone knew.  Fell in love with them instantly.  The band's name was the Heartbreakers and the lead man was Tom Petty. They had not yet released their first album.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2nd:  Traffic at the Palladium (14th st & 2nd) in Manhattan in 1975.  Chris Wood (Sax, Flute) was stoned to the point of being useless.  He was carried on stage and off stage.  They played Low Spark horribly and tried one other song but it was impossible.  Not sure if it was Winwood, but I think he said "that's it" and they  left.  Boos, and objects were thrown.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Was dragged to see Frehley's Comet @ L'Amour's by my friends in the Kiss Army.  As I recall, he was so drunk that he stopped halfway through the first or second song and supposedly had them redo the sound.   IIRC it did not help. 

Going to see him and Alice Coopers this tour...should be interesting which Ace we get...

Bare Naked Ladies.

- High School. Girl Friend made me go, it was sooooooo bad.  Laughable bad. 

Nelly and the Country Grammar (album name or band name? cant remember)

- college, opened up for Snoop Dogg.  45 minutes of him and his crew running around stage, shouting bits and pieces of the songs as the DJ just like played their record from start to finish.  I was hysterically bad.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

You must whip him.  Whip him good!

Mark Mothersbaugh is a creative/musical genius.  Great songwriter as well composer of music for commercials and film/TV.  That said, I doubt I could take an entire concert of Devo.

First song I ever heard from Devo which blew me away with its humor and syncopated rhythm.  Also a pioneering video.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:25 PM, HighPitch said:

I’ve seen so many great concerts I don’t know where to begin. But one of the greatest what is this death metal band Gorguts from Canada that played this sh*tty bar in Amityville. They ******* killed it and they were more than happy to drive from Montreal the Amityville to please 20 fans

Nice one. Considered Dead is a classic.

Regarding trips to play for tiny crowds, The Crown flew from Sweden to play in Dublin a couple of years ago - just before they left, the bass player had pulled out owing to a family emergency, they'd sold so few tickets, the venue moved the show to a smaller room which had an early curfew, slashing the set, to about 25-30 people. And they tore the place up. Sad thing was, the new album (which was the best thing they'd done in years) had only been out a week, and their previous album was terrible - had they waited a few months they'd have a much bigger crowd.

Regarding embarrassing - Nuclear Assault at the No Mercy fest in London 2002. A very drunk John Connelly lasted about fifteen minutes before sitting down and ranting about something, and walked off. End of set. .

Death's 1990 European tour. Something happened business-wise, so Chuck Schuldiner decided to pull out of the tour, but a couple of the hired hands in the band decided they'd go anyways, got a roadie to sing, did the tour, and spent the whole night ripping into Chuck. 

Entombed, late 90s. I have never seen someone as so disinterested in actually being there as Uffe Cederlund was. 

Body Count, December 93, I think. BC weren't the problem. Their support was. Rest of Europe and the UK got Carcass as support - Ireland got a flaming pile of excrement called Swampshack - a bunch of indie wankers, who nobody wanted to see. Ended up spending half their set threatening the crowd, and then the bass player totally lost it when they got the biggest cheer of the night when they announced their last song - they had to pull him back from going into the crowd. Last time I heard of them, they were playing a pub in Monaghan, to five people. Two of whom were bar staff. Worst band I have ever seen.

Anthrax - can't remember who the support was, but again, cheap local band replacing the support. At the end of their set, the drummer threw his sticks into the crowd. And in the total silence, everyone could hear them bounce along the ground and then roll to a stop. And then someone kicked one of the sticks away, to laughter. They almost ran off the stage.

• Haha 1

Well I got Peed on by a hot chick at a motley Crue concert at the Beacon I believe in the late 80s. Somehow I had like second or third row seats and when the band started everybody piled forward and and this chick behind me was freaking out calling out all the band members names Hysterically. At some point she starts moaning And saying oh my god oh my god oh my God q I start feeling this warmth go down the back of my leg.