Worst or most embarrassing concert that you've seen live.

10 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Once again when it comes to music munchmemory is right on the mark. Harry Chapin was the most unique artist I have ever seen, he could make a whole auditorium feel like they were in his living room sitting on a couch with a beer and a doob going around the room (like we all did back in the mid-70's) After Harry was taken from us on the L.I.E. in 1981 I always said that he left a void that has never been filled since.

Thanks, man.  Right back at ya with the music knowledge.

Perfectly stated about how Harry Chapin could make an audience feel happy, comfortable and at home.   You're so right; just a massive void.  I'm just glad there are still artists like you who continue to deftly carry the troubadour banner.

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Perfectly stated about how Harry Chapin could make an audience feel happy, comfortable and at home.   You're so right; just a massive void.  I'm just glad there are still artists like you who continue to deftly carry the troubadour banner.

What a damn nice thing to say, and that exactly what I hope comes across at my shows

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Stony Brook University gym, 1977, I think... or 78...    just harry, a pianist and one more I think...  stops 3/4 of the way through Taxi and says he has no one to do the high notes segment...  proceeds to have volunteers line up on stage to try out for the role.  Finds a guy who can do it well after about 6 or 7 other try (with lots of laughs and some noble attempts by the others).....  proceeds with the song.  

The world was a better place with Harry.

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Stony Brook University gym, 1977, I think... or 78...    just harry, a pianist and one more I think...  stops 3/4 of the way through Taxi and says he has no one to do the high notes segment...  proceeds to have volunteers line up on stage to try out for the role.  Finds a guy who can do it well after about 6 or 7 other try.....  proceeds with the song.  

The world was a better place with Harry.

What a great story.   Unless you saw him live, there is no way we could adequately convey the level of Chapin's talent and warm personality on stage.

I saw a bunch of shows at Stony Brook back in the 70s.  It was a trek, and an adventure, from Staten Island.  I'm sure we didn't have a case of brew and got high on the way.  Geez, what an era.  How are any of us still alive?  

Had a friend who was a huge Soul Asylum fan so went to see them a few years ago.   They were very good, but the Meat Puppets opened up and I've neve seen such a sh*t show on stage.  Band members were even starting at the lead singer and you could tell they just wished they didn't need the money.  Dude was a stumbling mess.

On 5/13/2022 at 5:42 AM, redlichtie said:

Radiohead(yes Radiohead) were by far my biggest disappointment live….just so far up their own @rses and refused to play most of their greatest tracks because of a dispute with the record label….that’s ok guys but when the fans have paid to hear Street Spirit, Creep, FPT, etc etc then just get over yourselves

Bjork was also terrible live….just a wild and incoherent ramble of squeaks and noises, had just seen Muse blow the doors off it mind you so nothing is going to sound good after that

Seen Radiohead too many times to count, and it's always among the greatest experiences of my life. This post was shocking to me... until I got to the end. I think you just have different expectations than a majority of RH fans. I would never expect them to play Street Spirit, Creep or FPT. Sometimes they throw one of those into a set to change things up a little, but honestly, their fans are there for the OK Computer and later stuff, which I guess you're not a fan of? For me, it's In Rainbows, Kid A, Amnesiac... etc. Epic shows.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Seen Radiohead too many times to count, and it's always among the greatest experiences of my life. This post was shocking to me... until I got to the end. I think you just have different expectations than a majority of RH fans. I would never expect them to play Street Spirit, Creep or FPT. Sometimes they throw one of those into a set to change things up a little, but honestly, their fans are there for the OK Computer and later stuff, which I guess you're not a fan of? For me, it's In Rainbows, Kid A, Amnesiac... etc. Epic shows.

I’m a fan of all of their stuff but what got me hooked in the beginning was The Bends, personally it’s one of my top 5 albums of all time with OK Computer only just behind. I don’t know how can you dismiss The Bends when talking Radiohead? I’m amazed that anyone could consider a Radiohead gig without Street Spirit as anything other than incomplete, no matter how many other great tracks they have.

I’m interested that you would consider the ‘majority’ of Radiohead fans are more interested in hearing the latter albums you mentioned. That may be true but I have a hard time believing that there isn’t a significant core of Radiohead fans that are there because of The Bends (and to a lesser extent, Pablo Honey) and everything that came from them, including but not exclusively, OK Computer…..maybe I’m just old!

If the ‘majority’ of Radiohead fans are only interested in hearing Kid A or Amnesiac then no question, that’s a group of people I have no interest in hanging out with and I made the right call not going back! ? great albums though they are, the story of Radiohead for me, and the full experience live, has to be abut those early albums too.

On the night in question, off the top of my head the only tracks from OK were ‘Airbag’ & ‘The Tourist’ …that was it……no KP, no Paranoid Android, and not surprisingly, no surprises …...and Planet Telex was the only offering from The Bends…..sorry but that’s not not good enough for me. I felt cheated.

Can you imagine Foo Fighters not playing ‘Times Like These’ or anything from ‘The Colour and the Shape’ ? Nothing from ‘Blood Sugar Sex Magik’ at a Chillies gig? Springsteen not bothering with ‘Born to Run’ or ‘Born in the USA’.?… Fleetwood Mac without ‘Go your own Way’ ? …..I’ve seen U2 half a dozen times and despite an immense back catalog they manage to pretty much get everything in every gig. 

as I mentioned in my earlier post they were in dispute with the record label at the time so were publicly and pointedly refusing to play certain tracks which just felt a bit like taking it out on the wrong people. Musically they were excellent and since then they’ve come down off the high horse and their live performances and set lists are much more in line with what I’d expect. That doesn’t take away from the disappointment of feeling like I didn’t get the full experience and for that reason they remain my most disappointing live experience 

It’s all personal taste of course

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I’m a fan of all of their stuff but what got me hooked in the beginning was The Bends, personally it’s one of my top 5 albums of all time with OK Computer only just behind. I don’t know how can you dismiss The Bends when talking Radiohead? I’m amazed that anyone could consider a Radiohead gig without Street Spirit as anything other than incomplete, no matter how many other great tracks they have.

I’m interested that you would consider the ‘majority’ of Radiohead fans are more interested in hearing the latter albums you mentioned. That may be true but I have a hard time believing that there isn’t a significant core of Radiohead fans that are there because of The Bends (and to a lesser extent, Pablo Honey) and everything that came from them, including but not exclusively, OK Computer…..maybe I’m just old!

If the ‘majority’ of Radiohead fans are only interested in hearing Kid A or Amnesiac then no question, that’s a group of people I have no interest in hanging out with and I made the right call not going back! ? great albums though they are, the story of Radiohead for me, and the full experience live, has to be abut those early albums too.

On the night in question, off the top of my head the only tracks from OK were ‘Airbag’ & ‘The Tourist’ …that was it……no KP, no Paranoid Android, and not surprisingly, no surprises …...and Planet Telex was the only offering from The Bends…..sorry but that’s not not good enough for me. I felt cheated.

Can you imagine Foo Fighters not playing ‘Times Like These’ or anything from ‘The Colour and the Shape’ ? Nothing from ‘Blood Sugar Sex Magik’ at a Chillies gig? Springsteen not bothering with ‘Born to Run’ or ‘Born in the USA’.?… Fleetwood Mac without ‘Go your own Way’ ? …..I’ve seen U2 half a dozen times and despite an immense back catalog they manage to pretty much get everything in every gig. 

as I mentioned in my earlier post they were in dispute with the record label at the time so were publicly and pointedly refusing to play certain tracks which just felt a bit like taking it out on the wrong people. Musically they were excellent and since then they’ve come down off the high horse and their live performances and set lists are much more in line with what I’d expect. That doesn’t take away from the disappointment of feeling like I didn’t get the full experience and for that reason they remain my most disappointing live experience 

It’s all personal taste of course

Good post.

I don't think the comparisons to other bands holds though. I think that many fans, and the band themselves, consider Radiohead to have two distinct eras. In those 90's years for Pablo Honey and The Bends, they were a very good rock band. Ok Computer though, changed their course. They became a new band, and rock was no longer a limiting genre they could hold themselves into. They became something else that literally no other band is, more similar to a Pink Floyd or early Genesis than another grunge band. I certainly don't dismiss The Bends, but it's more nostalgia that set the base for a huge catalog of other incredible music that really hits home with many like myself really, really hard, while thoroughly confusing others that aren't fans of the band. They're just one of those bands who either you think are the greatest thing ever or you just can't listen at all.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Good post.

I don't think the comparisons to other bands holds though. I think that many fans, and the band themselves, consider Radiohead to have two distinct eras. In those 90's years for Pablo Honey and The Bends, they were a very good rock band. Ok Computer though, changed their course. They became a new band, and rock was no longer a limiting genre they could hold themselves into. They became something else that literally no other band is, more similar to a Pink Floyd or early Genesis than another grunge band. I certainly don't dismiss The Bends, but it's more nostalgia that set the base for a huge catalog of other incredible music that really hits home with many like myself really, really hard, while thoroughly confusing others that aren't fans of the band. They're just one of those bands who either you think are the greatest thing ever or you just can't listen at all.

OK, respectfully agree to disagree on a couple of things but I understand where you are coming from. I think if you love everything from OK Computer on then you’d be less bothered if the gig didn’t include any of the previous era, for me it was a huge part of the experience. There’s no doubt that OK changed their course and personally I think you can love both before & after.