Javelin could be the spear in the heart of our opposition's offenses

CB Javelin Guidry
I don’t think Javelin Guidry got enough playing time in his rookie season to quality as truly underrated – he only played 172 snaps – but I also believe that not enough fans recognize how much promise he showed in that limited time.

Guidry’s zone coverage grade of 77.8 at PFF ranked second-best among rookie cornerbacks (trailing Kansas City’s L’Jarius Sneed) and placed at the 87th percentile among all qualified corners. He allowed zero touchdowns and less than 10.0 yards per reception in each of the three games in which he played over 30 snaps.
Tied for second in the league in forced fumbles

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hmhertz said:

CB Javelin Guidry
I don’t think Javelin Guidry got enough playing time in his rookie season to quality as truly underrated – he only played 172 snaps – but I also believe that not enough fans recognize how much promise he showed in that limited time.

Guidry’s zone coverage grade of 77.8 at PFF ranked second-best among rookie cornerbacks (trailing Kansas City’s L’Jarius Sneed) and placed at the 87th percentile among all qualified corners. He allowed zero touchdowns and less than 10.0 yards per reception in each of the three games in which he played over 30 snaps.
Tied for second in the league in forced fumbles

I like him a lot and agree he put up solid film towards the end of last season.  I just fear he not suited to play on the boundary and is confined to nickel duties.  If so, then the competition for the last cornerback spot is likely to come from a more versatile players who can play on the boundary or make the team as a backup safety.  With Michael Carter II having the ability to match up in man to man off coverage outside and Brandin Echols having as much potential at safety as he does at nickel, I think Guidry's limited versatility means that he must earn the starting nickel job or his roster spot is in peril.  Further, Echols is noted for his special teams ability as a returner and on the coverage units.  But I must admit, Guidry put up some solid tape last season when Brien Poole missed the last six games of the season.    In many ways I think his roster spot depends on the play of UDFA Isaiah Dunn.