Moses Signing 1 yr deal with Jets

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn our offence looks absolutely legit around the QB. They were not lying when they said they’d support Zach. F*ck Mac.

So lets just be clear on this: You are still pouting about Sam Darnold, so now that the GM went out and reset the QB clock, drafted two high WR's, signed two solid WR's, rebuilt the OL and drafte

Before anyone asks he's a Washington beat reporter

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because we should all be like you and make a concerted effort to protect the ginger surfer with three seasons of less than mediocre play?

Boy band QB.  Has to be the laziest and most pointless complaint about the upcoming season.  

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

"ginger surfer"  I LOL'd.

* Ginger boogie boarder

@JiFapono

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I mean, really?  Hes going to make fun of Zach for looking young and cute while pimping some ugly bastard with that lame neck beard thing he tried to grow?  

And he chose the thread talking about where we signed a quality RT as the time to be the wet blanket?  

I think Pac is only happy when the Jets are bad so he can argue that the bad QB is actually good.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, jgb said:

I can’t wait to see @Pac’s extrapolations of what Darnold would do with “this supporting cast.”

Ohhhh man you know Pac so well.  Well stated.  It's coming.  100 %.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

If you are a baseball fan, you saw this with Vladimir Guerrero Jr. for the Jays.  He was touted as THE player coming in two years ago, but just wasn't putting up the numbers.  He dedicated himself to physical training (4x a week), changed his diet, quit drinking, and came in 42 pounds lighter and MUCH stronger.

When I read about Vlad's offseason work and how he was hitting the ball even harder, he became a priority to acquire in my money league.  Now I'm in 1st place, baby.  :) 

19 hours ago, flgreen said:

For now I agree.  Gonna save the party hats until we find out what's going on with Becton.  

i was just thinking about becton.  i tend to think this signing is a hedge against becton staying injured.  bad feet are bad news for a big guy.  and as the draft choices are playing out it looks like they'll be in a good position to draft another lt if it turns out becton can't go or be relied on.  this is nothing against becton but injuries are a reality of the game.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

It will be sort of shocking if we ever take a 1st round CB in the first round under Saleh. Top CBs are almost always man corners which are not really required for our defense. Top Zone CBs can be had in rounds 3 and later.

Yep.  I think they will put a big premium in d linemen.  Bosa was a key component of that d.  Even with Lawson, would t be surprised to find a premier edge guy on the opposite side in next years first round.  Both lines will be at a premium.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Well see.  Fant is an ideal RT in wide zone. I think Moses is more insurance  for Becton

I doubt he signed to be a back up on a one year prove it deal with major playing incentives.  He expects to start.  It might be right guard or tackle but he expects to play if he is healthy.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pac still thinks Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith were good.  He also still thinks picking Adams over Mahomes/Watson was the right move.  No surprise he still professes love for Sam Darnold.  

The last QB he hated, Ryan Fitzpatrick, put together one of the 6 or so best QB seasons in Jets history.  Obviously more of an indictment of our horrible QB history than anything else, but still, considering the QB's he LIKES, Fitz was a conquering hero.  Thus, his dislike of Zach Wilson gives me a lot of hope. 

I'm still waiting for him to post the numbers that definitely WON'T win the lottery so I can make a lot of money.  If Pac tells me its sunny out, I need 2-3 other people to confirm before I trust his opinion.

What a strange man, Pac is.  My assumption at times has been that he's a contrarian for contrarian sake, but he really believes a lot of this stuff.

It’s almost as if pac chooses to play devils advocate with his takes. Then you realize he’s not smart enough to be that coy.

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pac still thinks Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith were good.  He also still thinks picking Adams over Mahomes/Watson was the right move.  No surprise he still professes love for Sam Darnold.  

The last QB he hated, Ryan Fitzpatrick, put together one of the 6 or so best QB seasons in Jets history.  Obviously more of an indictment of our horrible QB history than anything else, but still, considering the QB's he LIKES, Fitz was a conquering hero.  Thus, his dislike of Zach Wilson gives me a lot of hope. 

I'm still waiting for him to post the numbers that definitely WON'T win the lottery so I can make a lot of money.  If Pac tells me its sunny out, I need 2-3 other people to confirm before I trust his opinion.

What a strange man, Pac is.  My assumption at times has been that he's a contrarian for contrarian sake, but he really believes a lot of this stuff.

oh ok. i just thought he was a straight sam fan. buts hes just pessimistic. 

and i can get that, being a Jet fan for 40 plus years. but this year of all years. with all the moves and new players and coaches. 

and when you think hes done JD signs Moses a really good Tackle. 

not all of these moves will work out. its just law of averages. but man do you have to give JD a A+ for effort. he keeps working on making us better. 

CANT WAIT!!!

• Upvote 2

With Moses signing this heavily incentive ladden contract you would have to think he has assurances that he will start at his position, RT.  Why sign the prove it contract to learn an entirely new position or sit on the bench?  

Becton has been snapping pictures of himself walking around NY City all summer.  You have to think he is healthy-ish at this moment cementing himself as the starting RT to start the season.

Fant just had a story drop about him blocking in this system and how perfect of a match he is for it.  Granted this is coming from the player himself but he is getting paid more than Becton and Moses combined.  Are we doing that for a back up swing tackle? 

Can he move even further inside on the line?  He started at TE, moved to T and now he is going to play guard???

I am most interested to see how this plays out with the potential being having 4 starting tackles playing tackle and guard to start the season.  I said so long ago that I would love to have 4 dudes up front at +300 lbs.  I just may get my wish but it will be in a stretch zone blocking scheme which I would think utilizes smaller quicker players.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:35 PM, Alka said:

I am happy that he signed with us, but what's with this one-year deal?  It seems very unusual to me.  It's not like he needs to prove himself, since he played well up until now.

Douglas is the anti-Mr. Coffee.  I like the one year deal.  I'd wager Douglas will draft another offensive line prospect in 2022 between round two and four and he knows it.  I'm very happy the Jets have a GM that pays particular attention to the offensive line in the draft and FA.  And, somehow also managed to accumulate a nice stable of pass catchers AND a very exciting new QB.

I've been a Jets fan since I was a kid back in the 80's and I have seen a lot of failed regimes, but I am very pleased now with Douglas and the direction the roster is going in.  

I'm cautious, but intrigued... 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Alka said:

Moses is apparently betting on himself this upcoming season, and after this season, at 31 years old, if he plays well enough the Jets would be more than happy to sign him to a new 2 or 3 year deal, probably for very good money.  I think that is a real possibility.

Yes, if we don't resign him, we can get a comp pick, but I would rather have a solid right tackle for the next 2 years after this year, wouldn't you.  Also, Fant will be let go after this season, saving like 9M in cap space.  The money saved can go to Moses on a new deal.

If you asked me right now, I would say that the Jets will draft a shut down corner, wide receiver  or tight end and right guard between the 1st and 2nd rounds for next year.  Keeping Moses would allow the Jets not having to use a 1st round pick on a right tackle next year.   

The Jets under Saleh will never draft a CB high. Go look at Seattle and SF's draft classes while Saleh was there. They never draft CB's early. They value guys who can thrive in this scheme. The majority of the league values those same guys a lot less bc those other teams value man coverage over everything. This defense values pass rush over everything. 

• Upvote 4
7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In the NFL he played 9 of 16 games. 

His injuries had nothing to do with COVID. 

Hopeful he can be that #1 WR we need for years to come. 

If not 2021 NFL Draft has a few top choices. 

At this point you're just ignoring the rash of soft tissue injuries to a lot players in 2020 bc of the lack of training camp, not just Mims. 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/why-so-many-nfl-injuries-this-season-one-sportsmedicine-doctor-thinks-he-knows-why-141643231.html

"What we’ve seen through the course of this season is a sharp increase in soft-tissue injuries — and specific ones, such as ruptured Achilles tendons, appear to be registering at fairly alarming rates. There appears to be a direct correlation between the lack of a typical offseason program and the increased soft-tissue injury rate."

• Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, choon328 said:

At this point you're just ignoring the rash of soft tissue injuries to a lot players in 2020 bc of the lack of training camp, not just Mims. 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/why-so-many-nfl-injuries-this-season-one-sportsmedicine-doctor-thinks-he-knows-why-141643231.html

"What we’ve seen through the course of this season is a sharp increase in soft-tissue injuries — and specific ones, such as ruptured Achilles tendons, appear to be registering at fairly alarming rates. There appears to be a direct correlation between the lack of a typical offseason program and the increased soft-tissue injury rate."

I will have to take your word for it Dr. @choon328

On 6/25/2021 at 5:35 PM, Alka said:

I am happy that he signed with us, but what's with this one-year deal?  It seems very unusual to me.  It's not like he needs to prove himself, since he played well up until now.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:20 PM, jetstream23 said:

Moses had some negotiating power.  Nice to see a guy willing to bet on himself.  We should get a lot out of him.

Who does this impact most on the OLine?  McDermott, Edoga?  One of the 7 guys competing for Right Guard?

Somebody who would have made this roster now won't.

Edoga, who just lost his roster spot unless he shows up looking like a very different player

14 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Fant has no experience at Guard. It's possible he could slide in and play there but I guess we'll see. 

14 hours ago, KRL said:

Until I see otherwise I believe Fant is going to RG.  Him moving inside
should be similar to playing RT with a TE on his shoulder.  It shouldn't
be that big of an adjustment, if anything his athletic ability could 
really make him an asset when moving in space

Sliding a tackle like Moses or Fant inside to OG isn't all that easy. More than likely, one of the two will be the backup swing tackle. 

BTW, I like this signing but I'm not sure Moses has the feet for this system. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hope he hates Trubisky 

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, KRL said:

I would think this too except for the Damien Woody tweet poo-pooing the idea. He knows more about what it takes to change positions than any of us- was actually surprised he thought the idea wasn’t possible. 

Still R side stance. He can move/pull. Don’t know how his anchor would be going up against a NT bull rush.  He’s so tall it’d be hard to get leverage inside.  But if the best 5 play he’s probably #5 so… 🤷‍♂️ 

Could Fant really be better than lifelong Guards? It’s a tough ask, I’d be excited if he could.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I will have to take your word for it Dr. @choon328

Newsflash--The preparation that football players had for last season was far different than any other year in the history of the NFL (maybe more like some of the strike years that shortened camps, but this was far worse).

There were more injuries to football players in 2020, than any other year in the past decade. Coincidence that happened to coincide with a year that training camps were almost nonexistent? I think not.

I showed you that Mims was not injury prone in college. In fact, he did not miss any games in his final 3 years. To extrapolate any kind of trend or substance from the 2020 football season is pure fantasy thinking. 

What we’ve seen through the course of this season is a sharp increase in soft-tissue injuries — and specific ones, such as ruptured Achilles tendons, appear to be registering at fairly alarming rates. There appears to be a direct correlation between the lack of a typical offseason program and the increased soft-tissue injury rate.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When I read about Vlad's offseason work and how he was hitting the ball even harder, he became a priority to acquire in my money league.  Now I'm in 1st place, baby.  :) 

"Don't get me wrong, it's not like I didn't go out and have fun," he told Esquire in 2011. "But there's been a lot of players that come to New York and get caught up in the lifestyle, and before you know it, they're sent away to another team because it affected their performance. My number one priority was on the field. I've had fun. It's not like I've never gone out; I've done a lot of things. But I've always kept sight of my number one priority."

-Derek Jeter

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Edoga, who just lost his roster spot unless he shows up looking like a very different player

Sliding a tackle like Moses or Fant inside to OG isn't all that easy. More than likely, one of the two will be the backup swing tackle. 

BTW, I like this signing but I'm not sure Moses has the feet for this system. 

I’m wondering if part of the reason it took them so long to sign Moses after it was first rumored was because they were trying to convince him to try playing guard. I agree with you and Fant that he’s better suited for RT in this particular system, and that Moses -as the more dominant run blocker- would be the better fit inside. Moses at RG would really solidify the OL, sliding him between your presumed weakest links of McGovern and Fant.  

Then I think Fant backs up Becton at LT, Moses backs up Fant at RT, and Edoga’s out of a job. 

• Upvote 1
On 6/26/2021 at 7:58 AM, KRL said:

Athletic pulling guard is a must have for Outside Zone scheme. Moving the pocket left or right to create “angles” and gaps for the RB and Jet Sweep is crucial…. It requires the ability to block in space unlike a standard stacked formation at the LOS. I don’t think Moses has that ability at RG. At RT he can just blow the DE off the ball. It falls on the interior OLmen to pick up those trying to shoot the gap.

Lefleur and Benton must be salivating at the upgrade Moses brings to RT. Add AVT next to Becton and Possibly Fant/ Feeney / GVR battling for the RG position and we have greatly upgraded our line.

At $9m Fant would be a very expensive swing Tackle.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m wondering if part of the reason it took them so long to sign Moses after it was first rumored was because they were trying to convince him to try playing guard. I agree with you and Fant that he’s better suited for RT in this particular system, and that Moses -as the more dominant run blocker- would be the better fit inside. Moses at RG would really solidify the OL, sliding him between your presumed weakest links of McGovern and Fant.  

Then I think Fant backs up Becton at LT, Moses backs up Fant at RT, and Edoga’s out of a job. 

Please give your thoughts on my post above. Doesn’t RG require more athleticism than RT to block in space vs. LB’s trying to step up into the hole? I would think RT on an end run would just try to attach to the DE and run him out of the play

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Please give your thoughts on my post above. Doesn’t RG require more athleticism than RT to block in space vs. LB’s trying to step up into the hole? I would think RT on an end run would just try to attach to the DE and run him out of the play

I honestly think it’s the opposite. The tackle position has been the premium position on the OL for just about forever for a reason. The guard, in general, is responsible for less space than the OT whose responsibility is the entire side of the field. 

I also think Moses, just cut at 30 years old and on a show me deal, probably won’t mind the move inside. If he plays well, all that demonstrates to the next team looking for an OL is that he’s a versatile player. It’s not like centers and guards are getting paid significantly less than RTs at this point.  

I’ve also been under the impression for awhile that they really do like Fant, but for all I know this signing means I was wrong about that, lol. I’m just trying to give my best semi-educated guess here. Fant is also slightly younger and under contract for next year, which probably matters more to Douglas than the coaches, but has to be something of a factor. 

• Upvote 3
58 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Athletic pulling guard is a must have for Outside Zone scheme. Moving the pocket left or right to create “angles” and gaps for the RB and Jet Sweep is crucial…. It requires the ability to block in space unlike a standard stacked formation at the LOS. I don’t think Moses has that ability at RG. At RT he can just blow the DE off the ball. It falls on the interior OLmen to pick up those trying to shoot the gap.

Lefleur and Benton must be salivating at the upgrade Moses brings to RT. Add AVT next to Becton and Possibly Fant/ Feeney / GVR battling for the RG position and we have greatly upgraded our line.

At $9m Fant would be a very expensive swing Tackle.

I’ve been watching a lot of breakdowns of SF running game. I was focused on watching the RG and RT. I came to the same conclusion. I’m by no means a trained eye, but from what I saw, the RG is asked to move more often then the RT.

When SF runs right, if the DE is over the RT, the RT just takes him on. In this situation, the RG is asked to get to the second level and block a LB. The RG was also asked to pull to the left. Most other movements seemed like the RG and RT were synchronized.

Im just a regular fan though. 

• Upvote 2
22 hours ago, slats said:

I’ll be surprised and disappointed if JD goes OL in round one for the third straight year. He needs to fill out the line in other ways. Going DB early in this defense would be a severe departure and only happens if the CB experiment is nothing short of a disaster. Edge will have to be a priority, though. It’s the pass rush that makes this defense go, not the secondary. 

The WR corps in 2022 is Davis, Mims, Moore. Cole, Crowder, and Berrios are all free agents. It’s fair to question Mims’ health, he needs to do a lot better this season. I think WR and TE could be addressed in the first three rounds next year. 

I remember someone wanting to trade draft assets to WFT for the privilege of picking up his $10M salary, Joe Douglas waited until he was cut and paid him half that - and the. only if he plays 80% of the offensive snaps this year. Two very different situations. Trading would’ve been expensive and a little dumb, waiting was smart. 

As things sit today, the only way I could rationalize it is if Becton is no longer so hopeful, misses time, etc/whatever. 

But other than that, a 3rd OL pick in 3 years? No. We’ve got two 2nd rounders and - as likely as not - the only position that they might need to instant-replace with a rookie is center, but even that’s if he has another letdown season. 

The weakest link among the positions you mention - EDGE, CB, WR, TE (and I’d add LB to that maybe list) - are better uses of 1st round picks. The idea that another iOL or RT starter must come from round 1 is ridiculous. Never mind when the OL is likely to be at least average this year as it is. Even TE is a stretch for me unless it’s such a special player and it was demonstrated that it was such a serious hole it hampered the offense. 

The other positions cost double to fill via FA. It’s not that we don’t have the cap room, but if the FA doesn’t pan out, a (prior) difference-maker level player is going to get 3 guaranteed years of that mega-money, like Mosley. The last thing the Jets need is to get locked into the next Robert Quinn / Dante Fowler contract and get rewarded with 2-3 sacks when the pay scale is based on the prior year’s 11-12 — or at corner, Slay, Byron Jones, or previously…Trumaine Johnson and however many others.

• Upvote 2