Do the offensive additions from this off season make a better starting lineup than any Jet offense in the last 5 years?

I think you could make that case for sure(minus a LT ) which is both amazing and sad.  What a makeover by Douglas this Off-Season.

QB: Zach Wilson

RB: Michael Carter

RB: Tevin Coleman

WR: Elijah Moore 

WR: Corey Davis

WR: Keelan Cole 

OG: Alijah Vera-Tucker

OG: Dan Feeney

OG/C: Corey Levin

OT: Morgan Moses

TE: Tyler Kroft

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Who’s Corey Levin?

A nobody.  Career backup/practice squad guy for Titans and Bears.  Think he was with Patriots last year.

He just helped me make it that much closer to a real lineup 😃

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

all quality signings/ draft picks except dan feeney who is a jag minus - for a series or two or maybe even one game but anymore than that and you’ll be thinking alex lewis is all pro by comparison

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Dan Feeney, while by no means is a Pro Bowler, has started 57 straight NFL games at 3 different OL positions.  He has made a career of disposing of JAG OL.   

Have a feeling this year will be no different.  Suspect Feeney will be the starting RG.  Inlander fans will love it.  :) 

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, Larz said:

FB?

It’s a run to set up the pass offense so that’s a key position 

Appears Wesco will fill that role. 

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Appears Wesco will fill that role. 

Yup. I could see another addition at some point, maybe the mini draft 

All I know is I have NEVER been so excited to watch Jets football. Not even that I think we’re Super Bowl bound but simply fascinated by this team that Joe Douglas has assembled. 

It’s organized. Planned. Exciting. Positive.
Just about the entire offense is new, and at every spot improved with depth.
Our goal line O with Fant as a third tackle is going to be nasty.  As is our Goal line D with the bevy of DL. 

Absolutely stoked.
With Becton being almost like 2 people that's like having 7 players on the line when Fant is the extra lineman.

#stopwho?

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Great city, I’ve been drunk their a couple of times.

My favorite city in Europe.  The wife and I have been there about a dozen times and it's the first country we're going to when everything opens up.

Was actually the last city we visited before lockdown started.

• Upvote 2

Maybe? Its a weird comparison to make. You're comparing an older team with a team of rookies that hasnt played a single game yet and TBD free agents. I mean, if all goes well this year, yeah, maybe you could make a case. This is certainly an undeniably large influx of talent on the offense in one offseason.

• Upvote 1
Dan Feeney, while by no means is a Pro Bowler, has started 57 straight NFL games at 3 different OL positions.  He has made a career of disposing of JAG OL.   
Have a feeling this year will be no different.  Suspect Feeney will be the starting RG.  Inlander fans will love it.   

yes feeney started - but on terrible teams - so did horace clark - feeney will no more be starting anything (let alone rg) on this ol than you or me

9 hours ago, ncjetman said:

all quality signings/ draft picks except dan feeney who is a jag minus - for a series or two or maybe even one game but anymore than that and you’ll be thinking alex lewis is all pro by comparison

I don't know why the Jets signed Dan Feeney, but I do know that I am glad that he is on the Jets. He seems like a ride or die type of guy, and he is clearly a guy who brings levity to the locker room. My guess is that culture was part of why he was signed.  Being able to play guard and center doesn't hurt. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I sure as hell hope so this team has sucked really bad the last 5 years. 

8-9 this year.
LB/Secondary is the area of weakness that can burn 🔥 it all to the ground. Hoping to see Sherman brought in to beef up one side of the field even if his best years are behind him. Good leader along with Mayr for our young secondary 

8 hours ago, Larz said:

Yup. I could see another addition at some point, maybe the mini draft 

Yep and we will have waiver priority #2 through the 3rd week of the season as it doesn't reset to 2021 standings until then.

Should have the opportunity to pick up some decent depth when camp cuts happen.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Beaver said:

Well see.   Leveon Bell was supposed to be a huge upgrade at RB.   Didn’t work out.   But they have me excited once again.

It's time to stop pretending like the kinds of players Mike Maccagnan would acquire are the kind of players Joe Douglas tends to acquire.

Le'Veon Bell was toast, and couldn't produce in KC.  He was a bad signing from the start, and many/most here said so at the time.  Even if Bell had produced at a fairly high level here, he would have been overpaid.  Instead he was about as bad of a signing as Trumaine Johnson was.

I'm not saying Douglas doesn't make mistakes.  Perine in particular was a bad pick.  He's whiffed on a few signings as well.  But I'm talking about tendencies here.  Maccagnan overpaid bad/overrated players, often at non-premium positions.  That's not Douglas' strategy at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I don't know why the Jets signed Dan Feeney, but I do know that I am glad that he is on the Jets. He seems like a ride or die type of guy, and he is clearly a guy who brings levity to the locker room. My guess is that culture was part of why he was signed.  Being able to play guard and center doesn't hurt. 

Yep.  And 1 year, $3.5M is a small price to pay for a guy who impacts the culture and provides depth in the interior OL, the area on the roster which was our biggest need entering the offseason.  

I was highly disappointed when Douglas didn't end up landing Corey Linsley (who may have had little interest in being here anyways), but everything he's done since then for the IOL has been a bigtime positive.  

• Upvote 1
I think you could make that case for sure(minus a LT ) which is both amazing and sad.  What a makeover by Douglas this Off-Season.
QB: Zach Wilson
RB: Michael Carter
RB: Tevin Coleman
WR: Elijah Moore 
WR: Corey Davis
WR: Keelan Cole 
OG: Alijah Vera-Tucker
OG: Dan Feeney
OG/C: Corey Levin
OT: Morgan Moses
TE: Tyler Kroft
That goes without saying. ANY offense the Jets fielded besides maybe 2015, has been pure GARBAGE.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  And 1 year, $3.5M is a small price to pay for a guy who impacts the culture and provides depth in the interior OL, the area on the roster which was our biggest need entering the offseason.  

I was highly disappointed when Douglas didn't end up landing Corey Linsley (who may have had little interest in being here anyways), but everything he's done since then for the IOL has been a bigtime positive.  

Certainly appears players with options (Corey Davis) aren’t avoiding us like the plague for once 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, jgb said:

Certainly appears players with options (Corey Davis) aren’t avoiding us like the plague for once 

It was a buyers market for WRs this year with Corey Davis getting the second largest contract at the position (but about half of what #1, Galloday, received). After that it was Samuel close behind, then Algohor much less at #4, and then no one getting more than $20M over their deal. I mean, I’m happy with Douglas and Davis, but Davis definitely got paid here and I really don’t know what his market might’ve been elsewhere. 

I continue to believe that the WR position is in for a downward price adjustment as colleges keep producing NFL ready guys at rookie prices. A downturn similar to, but not as severe, as the one RBs are going thru. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
On 6/26/2021 at 7:18 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Interesting point.  I kind of felt that way about Winters.  JAG skills but great culture guy...

• Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, slats said:

It was a buyers market for WRs this year with Corey Davis getting the second largest contract at the position (but about half of what #1, Galloday, received). After that it was Samuel close behind, then Algohor much less at #4, and then no one getting more than $20M over their deal. I mean, I’m happy with Douglas and Davis, but Davis definitely got paid here and I really don’t know what his market might’ve been elsewhere. 

I continue to believe that the WR position is in for a downward price adjustment as colleges keep producing NFL ready guys at rookie prices. A downturn similar to, but not as severe, as the one RBs are going thru. 

It is an interesting premise that I haven’t thought about. I believe you said in another thread that the elite ones will still get elite money — which I agree with. It does seem that young WRs are generally making a bigger impact and sooner. I wonder what the impact would be if your hypothesis is correct? First thing that comes to mind is even more money to FQBs in relative terms of salary cap. In fact, FQBs are still “cheap” in terms of their impact. Mahomes “only” makes about double Nuk Hopkins and most would agree he is more than twice as impactful.

I actually think after a decade or more of NFL being an “offensive/passing league” we may be about to experience a defensive revolution. As the league all goes one way, the relative cost of going the other decreases. We saw this when teams that bucked the trend 25-30 years ago and went 3-4, were able to get “elite” players suited to the 3-4 for “cheaper” than elite 4-3 guys as they were in less demand. As more teams adopted 3-4, this balanced out and the built-in advantage closed and eventually reversed. I don’t have a prediction as to specifics, but one could see from a resource-allocation perspective there may be an advantage in relative cost/benefit to over-allocate on defense. It’s just cheaper to build an elite defense than an elite offense (largely skewed by elite QB cost). Of course, Jets have basically done this (whether by design or accident) from 2000 to JD and we all know the results.

One thing i like is that so far, at least, JD is over-investing in the side of the ball opposite his HC’s area of expertise. One would assume that a defensive expert like Saleh could do more with less on his side of the ball. Used to enrage me that we poured so much into defense when “defensive mastermind” Rex was at the helm. If you need to pour 70% of your draft capital into defense with a defensive genius HC, what value are you getting from him?

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, jgb said:

It is an interesting premise that I haven’t thought about. I believe you said in another thread that the elite ones will still get elite money — which I agree with. It does seem that young WRs are generally making a bigger impact and sooner. I wonder what the impact would be if your hypothesis is correct? First thing that comes to mind is even more money to FQBs in relative terms of salary cap.

I actually think after a decade or more of NFL being an “offensive/passing league” we may be about to experience a defensive revolution. As the league all goes one way, the relative cost of going the other decreases. We saw this when teams that bucked the trend 25 years ago and went 3-4, we able to get “elite” players suited to the 3-4 for “cheaper” than elite 4-3 guys as they were in higher demand. As more teams adopted 3-4, this balanced out and the built-in advantage closed and eventually reversed. I don’t have a prediction as to specifics, but one could see from a resource allocation perspective there may be an advantage in relative cost/benefit to over-allocate on defense. It’s just cheaper to build an elite defense than an elite offense (largely skewed by elite QB cost). Of course, Jets have largely done this (whether by design or accident) from 2000 to JD and we all know the results.

I think one position that has been unfairly-for lack of a better word- relegated to non-premium status for too long is Tight End. Unlike RBs and Safeties, TEs at least need to bring size to the table, making them a scarcer commodity. As the Kelces and Kittles produce and get paid, and guys like Belichick keep paying them, I think the position could be the next one to start seeing better compensation- much like interior OL who used to get paid much less than the average RB. If that starts to happen, maybe you’ll see more power forwards go out for their football teams, and the surge in value will feed itself. And yeah, the 6’5” and/or 4.3 guys at WR who produce at high levels will continue to get paid, but the 6’ 4.45 guys are just gonna be replaced by cheaper labor. What the Jets paid Cole was part of their leverage against Crowder. 

As far as defense is concerned, the Jets are now operating a good one to bring in secondary players on the cheap. Most teams drafting CBs are looking for shutdown man guys, while this system likes the bigger, longer zone guys. I don’t think this offseason was a aberration, I think they really hope to have their CB jobs filled with late picks and UDFAs, and will continue to fill them that way.  

I think the trends will continue to be dominated by the offenses, though. More teams looking to feature power running games against these smaller, faster defenses, for instance, requiring defenses to adjust again. 

• Upvote 3