Jump to content

Analyzing The Impact Of The New York Jets’ Signing Of Morgan Moses On George Fant And The Rest Of The O-Line


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Actually the argument about taking Wirfs over Becton was made prior to the draft and after. 

Actually there was conjecture about who they would take, most thought they might take Becton.  After and during the season no one has complained or even mentioned the idea that the Jets should have drafted Wirfs.  Pretty much all the talk about Becton in the media is about how dominant he played.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thought of bringing in Moses as an upgrade to Fant is positive.  A great move for the Jets. The thought of bringing in Moses so that Fant can play left tackle is scary.  It confirms that JD m

The hot takes on here the past few days have been really something. Trade Mims for a tight end, Drafting Becton was a mistake. Amazed to see how many football fans don't really know football. 

Analyze this. We saved $5M on Crowder and used it to bring in Moses.  You could twist reality just a bit and argue that we added Moses for free. He gives us a lot more flexibility in how we

Posted Images

23 hours ago, addage said:

The team and Becton are saying all the right words about his getting his weight under control.  But as any dieter can tell you, it isn't easy or we'd all be thin.  If he was 380 at the end of OTA's, then the Jets are in trouble.  Even if he loses 25 lbs in the next few weeks, he will have lower energy levels and loss of muscle mass heading into training camp.

Lol, he isn't a dieter. He isn't starving himself like some typical American on some never ending random fad diet yoyo cycle. He's a pro athlete, with a pro medical and training staff, and he'll lose a ton just by being active again instead of taking it easy as his foot heals up.  He'll be lifting and moving in camp as opposed to watching another infomercial hoping the latest random fruit concentrate from the rain forest will be the answer as he reaches for a liter of diet soda and diet snacks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I hate that we even have to think of this signing having anything to do with Becton, but it's hard to believe that didn't factor into it. Having Moses and Fant as depth gives them some options where they can avoid having to slide AVT to LT if (when?😪) Becton isn't available. Imo I'd like to avoid moving AVT around if possible. Let the kid focus on developing in the one role. 

AVT is the starting LG.

If Becton comes into camp at 380+ and a sore foot, Fant will play LT, Moses will play RT.

If Becon comes in 360+- , and healthy it will be Becton, AVT, McGovern, (camp fight RG) and Moses.  With Fant playing Blocking TE and swing T.  Prety impressive IMO.

I hope Becton puts his career over fried pork chops.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Lol, he isn't a dieter. He isn't starving himself like some typical American on some never ending random fad diet yoyo cycle. He's a pro athlete, with a pro medical and training staff, and he'll lose a ton just by being active again instead of taking it easy as his foot heals up.  He'll be lifting and moving in camp as opposed to watching another infomercial hoping the latest random fruit concentrate from the rain forest will be the answer as he reaches for a liter of diet soda and diet snacks.

This. Dude is a 22 year old professional athlete.

This isn't an Eddie Lacy situation:

E2MwvyPXEAARo18.thumb.jpg.30d87867ed43e879084737de5d820d4f.jpg

I'm far less worried about his conditioning than I am the long-term implications of his plantar fasciitis.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This. Dude is a 22 year old professional athlete.

This isn't an Eddie Lacy situation:

E2MwvyPXEAARo18.thumb.jpg.30d87867ed43e879084737de5d820d4f.jpg

I'm far less worried about his conditioning than I am the long-term implications of his plantar fasciitis.

And it being the NY Jets an all, could easily see him in and out until they announce his surgery for the "no big deal that doesn't need surgery" somewhere around week 4-5

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, slats said:

I would’ve taken Wirfs and said so at the time. I felt he was the safer pick with my concerns being Becton’s size and potential injury issues as a result. At the same time, I appreciated Douglas swinging for the higher upside that I do believe Becton brings. Becton’s the guy who wears green, so I hope I was wrong about the concerns and right about the upside. Either way, I’m not ready to pan the pick because of a foot problem in June. 

I wish it was just a foot problem in June. 

However, facts of last season point to an injury prone type of player.

We will see....I sure hope hes in the trenches. But if he cant stay on the field, his potential wont matter

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 12:40 PM, addage said:

 

The thought of bringing in Moses so that Fant can play left tackle is scary.  It confirms that JD made a huge (no pun intended) mistake in drafting Becton.

 

What?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Moses isnt getting paid RT starter money.  I know he has never played the position, but I think they are going to try him at right guard.  Fant is the starting RT and being paid like it.  I cant see a 3 mil dollar player coming in and taking his job.  Makes no sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2021 at 9:02 AM, slats said:

I would’ve taken Wirfs and said so at the time. I felt he was the safer pick with my concerns being Becton’s size and potential injury issues as a result. At the same time, I appreciated Douglas swinging for the higher upside that I do believe Becton brings. Becton’s the guy who wears green, so I hope I was wrong about the concerns and right about the upside. Either way, I’m not ready to pan the pick because of a foot problem in June. 

I kind of felt the same, but I wonder why Becton's upside is supposed to be so much better?  Physically Wirfs killed it.  He was better in the jumps than Jerry Jeudy for crying out loud and for all the rants about Becton running a 5.1, Wirfs ran 4.85.  The only thing scary was people like Jeremiah suggesting he move inside.  Becton had mass and some length advantage, but if you are counting on length then I think Thomas was better than both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I kind of felt the same, but I wonder why Becton's upside is supposed to be so much better?  Physically Wirfs killed it.  He was better in the jumps than Jerry Jeudy for crying out loud and for all the rants about Becton running a 5.1, Wirfs ran 4.85.  The only thing scary was people like Jeremiah suggesting he move inside.  Becton had mass and some length advantage, but if you are counting on length then I think Thomas was better than both.

The issue some had with Wirfs was that he projected as a RT, and you don't spend a 1st round pick on a RT (only a LT). But that's silly. Especially when we already signed Fant to be our LT.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 12:40 PM, addage said:

The thought of bringing in Moses as an upgrade to Fant is positive.  A great move for the Jets.

The thought of bringing in Moses so that Fant can play left tackle is scary.  It confirms that JD made a huge (no pun intended) mistake in drafting Becton.

The team and Becton are saying all the right words about his getting his weight under control.  But as any dieter can tell you, it isn't easy or we'd all be thin.  If he was 380 at the end of OTA's, then the Jets are in trouble.  Even if he loses 25 lbs in the next few weeks, he will have lower energy levels and loss of muscle mass heading into training camp.

What's the cliche?  The only things between Becton and a multi $mil, all-pro career are a knife and a fork.

His training camp weigh in and fitness test will be one of the key moments of the Jets season.

I like my OL with some girth. I don't want some skinny-looking pencil dick defending the back-side of the QB. I want Jabba the Hut. Becton, last year hit the Rookie wall, like many before him. It happens, and it will happen to rookies this year. They are not conditioned to play 20 games in a season out of college, some have no issues with the increase of games, others do. Mekhi is one of them, Mekhi never looked sluggish last year and dominated defenders with his run blocking. 

Mekhi is a big boy OT, he is a mean and nasty, and will never be on the cover of Tiger Beat Magazine, just the way Baltimore likes them. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

The issue some had with Wirfs was that he projected as a RT, and you don't spend a 1st round pick on a RT (only a LT). But that's silly. Especially when we already signed Fant to be our LT.

Why did he project at RT?  I thought it was mostly because he played there in college.  The same could be said for Wills who played across from Leatherwood.  I guess Leatherwood being seen at reach at 17 is better than Alaric Johnson being an UDFA for the Rams.  Funny thing about all these guys is people project them to the right side or guard.  I just read one guy adament that Becton was going to be drafted as a guard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really fascinated to see what the Jets do with the line. Both Douglas and Saleh/his staff have aligned values regarding players being “position-less”, so while local beat is jumping to the conclusion that signing Moses means Fant goes to the bench, I'm not so certain. 

In SF, Daniel Brunskill was a similar HWS athlete to Fant and has been utilized at both G & T (former TE turned OT turned RG). Aaron Banks was a LG at Notre Dame who is likely moving to RG, but I found it interesting that he was going to be moved to LT had he returned for his senior season. 

Fant provides the Jets tremendous depth as a capable swing tackle who showed to be an average T last year and can play both sides, but you wonder why the Jets would limit themselves physically at RG when you can kind of platoon players there (start Fant at RG but shift him outside and insert a traditional G like Lewis or GVR in jumbo formations).

It’s going to come down to competition, but I really hope the Jets give Fant a chance to compete at G. A Becton-AVT-McGovern-Fant-Moses front 5 has got to be among the most athletic in the league (on paper of course). 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I would hate to see him if he was in shape.

Thing about being 21 is that baby fat can turn to muscle quick! You get this young man looking good, it tends to get them wanting to keep in shape. They like what they see in the mirror. Gives them a Frank Gore attitude to stay in shape. 
 

Like Duke’s T-shirt:                      
Strike-Leverage-DriveFinish
Also, an in shape husband tends to get the larger ladies looking to trim down for them  

There’s a lot of competition out there for snagging a young multi-millionaire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the RT spot is Fant's to lose.  And I do not think he will because he is really improving at that spot.

I think Moses is here as a backup(as his contract suggests) and if Becton gets hurt, Fant moves over to the left side and Moses fills in at RT.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is odd that the article suggests that the Moses signing means Fant is gone after this year.  If that were the case, wouldn't Moses have signed for more than one year?  One of them is under contract for 2022 and it's not Morgan Moses.  Supposedly  they offered Moses a 2 year deal and he opted for one.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 11:12 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Moses is a better RT than Fant.  Period, end of story.  Even if we don't know how things shake out for Fant, or however healthy Becton is, this part is what is undeniable and why it was a move Douglas simply had to make.  

If Fant is nothing more than an expensive swing tackle, oh well.  We have the cap space to burn.  And very little of that space was spent on Moses himself.  

Is he though? I am not sure that is cut and dried. He had a very good season last year, but was cut. That says something about how he is regarded. Previous years his performance was very close to Fants according to PFF. Moses played in and is best suited for a man blocking scheme. On the other hand Fant played better as the year went on and had no real help on the right side, which could be same this year. Fant is better suited for zone. So I am not certain he is better. We certainly needed another tackle on the team for depth but don't be so sure he will replace Fant in the end. This will definitely be a TC battle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

The issue some had with Wirfs was that he projected as a RT, and you don't spend a 1st round pick on a RT (only a LT). But that's silly. Especially when we already signed Fant to be our LT.

Huh?  You really think depending on Fant to be the LT would have been the smart move?  

Until Wirfs proves he can play LT, Becton was the right pick.  Period.  The # 11 pick is much better used on a LT than a RT, even if the RT is excellent.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Huh?  You really think depending on Fant to be the LT would have been the smart move?  

Until Wirfs proves he can play LT, Becton was the right pick.  Period.  The # 11 pick is much better used on a LT than a RT, even if the RT is excellent.  

Oh come on.  If Wirfs is a (the?) top RT and Becton keeps having injury problems, of course Wirfs looks better.  He might look better anyway.  I'm not complaining about the Becton pick, but there is no shame in playing the right because of Donovan Smith.  The question is what is better Fant/Wirfs or Fant/Becton.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Oh come on.  If Wirfs is a (the?) top RT and Becton keeps having injury problems, of course Wirfs looks better.  He might look better anyway.  I'm not complaining about the Becton pick, but there is no shame in playing the right because of Donovan Smith.  The question is what is better Fant/Wirfs or Fant/Becton.   

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.  Wirfs can be an excellent RT and Becton can have injury concerns and Becton will still have been the right pick unless Wirfs proves he can be a LT.

You have to take big swings to find a rock solid LT.  We had to burn a # 4 pick on one last time around.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But you still have to do it.  QB, LT, EDGE.  Those are the top 3 positions where you have to take high risks to get high rewards.  You can't go with a limp d*ck approach at LT like Macc did with mediocre (or worse) veteran options, twice, or sticking Fant there and hoping for the best.

Becton has HOF LT upside if he can manage to stay healthy.  We don't know what Wirfs' upside is at LT.  We only know he had a great year at RT, while supporting a HOF QB who gets the ball out quickly.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Claymation said:

I would hate to see him if he was in shape.

I don't know.

Between the pics Becton posted of him walking around NYC and this, I'm not sure where the "He's fat" rumors started.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.  Wirfs can be an excellent RT and Becton can have injury concerns and Becton will still have been the right pick unless Wirfs proves he can be a LT.

You have to take big swings to find a rock solid LT.  We had to burn a # 4 pick on one last time around.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But you still have to do it.  QB, LT, EDGE.  Those are the top 3 positions where you have to take high risks to get high rewards.  You can't go with a limp d*ck approach at LT like Macc did with mediocre (or worse) veteran options, twice, or sticking Fant there and hoping for the best.

Becton has HOF LT upside if he can manage to stay healthy.  We don't know what Wirfs' upside is at LT.  We only know he had a great year at RT, while supporting a HOF QB who gets the ball out quickly.  

Well, I strongly disagree.  In particular, I strongly disagree that picking Wirfs would be a limp dick approach.  The guy has as much upside as anybody.  There were 4 top tackles.  I'm not complaining about our choice, but I still don't see him as a slam dunk better than Wirfs.  IMO Wirfs has as much claim to a HOF LT career as Becton.  Wirfs could have played left or you could have kept him on the right and helped Fant out more.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 2:45 PM, JETSALLDAY24X said:

For Wilson's sake I hope you're right, the oline coach stepping on the field would be a massive gamble. 

For a second, I thought you'd replaced "for pete's sake" with "for Wilson's sake".  😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, I strongly disagree.  In particular, I strongly disagree that picking Wirfs would be a limp dick approach.  The guy has as much upside as anybody.  There were 4 top tackles.  I'm not complaining about our choice, but I still don't see him as a slam dunk better than Wirfs.  IMO Wirfs has as much claim to a HOF LT career as Becton.  Wirfs could have played left or you could have kept him on the right and helped Fant out more.  

Wirfs wouldn't have been the "limp d*ck" part of it.  Keeping Wirfs at RT and starting Fant at LT would have.  If Douglas had drafted Wirfs at 11, then Wirfs would have needed to be the starter at LT.  Band-aids at LT are a dumb idea.

Certainly Wirfs could very well end up being a fantastic LT.  But until he proves it, we only know that Becton looked like a fantastic LT who may have trouble staying healthy while Wirfs is an excellent RT with no health concerns, who MAY be a good LT too.  Give me the the guy who played well at LT as a rookie for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think he uses a drone now.

Serious question: is a drone considered an extension of oneself in the context of a restraining order? Asking for a friend.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wirfs wouldn't have been the "limp d*ck" part of it.  Keeping Wirfs at RT and starting Fant at LT would have.  If Douglas had drafted Wirfs at 11, then Wirfs would have needed to be the starter at LT.  Band-aids at LT are a dumb idea.

Certainly Wirfs could very well end up being a fantastic LT.  But until he proves it, we only know that Becton looked like a fantastic LT who may have trouble staying healthy while Wirfs is an excellent RT with no health concerns, who MAY be a good LT too.  Give me the the guy who played well at LT as a rookie for now.

I'm not going to try to convince you.  I don't have a problem with people preferring Becton, but I am not so sure.  I am also not sure that would be a limp dick move.  Were the Ravens limp dicks when they drafted Ogden and started him at LG for Tony Jones who they only signed for a year?  I think Ferentz was their OLine coach at the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan Moses changes everything for NY Jets offense

By

 Ian Roddy

 -

 06/30/2021

Morgan-Moses-3-1024x576.jpg.webp

(Photo by Al Pereira/Getty Images)

The Morgan Moses signing will make an immensely positive impact on the potential of the NY Jets offense in 2021.

Sam Fortier of The Washington Post reported last Friday that right tackle Morgan Moses has agreed to a one-year deal with the New York Jets. Per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the deal is worth $3.6 million with the potential to get up to $5.3 million.

Needing to upgrade their offensive line as much as possible, the Jets figure that Moses can be a reliable bookend opposite budding superstar left tackle Mekhi Becton.

Adding Moses makes too much sense for Gang Green as his addition provides an inarguable upgrade to the offensive line in several key ways.

The most apparent benefit that Moses provides the Jets is an upgrade to the overall talent level of the offensive line, particularly on the right side.

 

Following the trade-up for Alijah Vera-Tucker in April’s NFL Draft, Joe Douglas is likely feeling quite content with the left side of the offensive line.

However, the right side is not exactly in a similar state. While right tackle George Fant was serviceable last season, Moses is absolutely a talent upgrade — PFF graded Moses as the league’s 15th-best tackle out of 89 qualifiers last season, while Fant was graded as the 69th-best.

Questions arise, however, when taking into consideration Fant’s superior scheme fit. He is, after all, much more athletic and quick than Moses — two traits that are highly valued in an outside-zone running scheme.

Regardless of the specific position he’ll play, though, signing Moses undoubtedly provides the Jets offensive line with a significant talent upgrade and additional depth. That’s never something to pass up.

The murkiness over Moses’ scheme fit vs. Fant’s actually reveals another benefit of signing the former: flexibility. The idea has been floated around that Moses could instead replace Greg Van Roten at the right guard position.

The thought of a starting offensive line consisting of Mekhi Becton, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Connor McGovern, Morgan Moses, and George Fant is an exciting one. However, some – including former Jets right tackle Damien Woody in a recent tweet – doubt that Moses would agree to a deal if he were to be playing guard rather than tackle. Only time will tell, but it does seem unlikely that Moses will kick inside.

Regardless, Moses’ presence still provides the Jets with flexibility, as even if he were to start at right tackle, that would then mean Fant could provide versatility off the bench. If a guard were to go down, the possibility exists that the Jets could push Moses to that guard spot and have Fant replace him at right tackle. Fant can also be used as a tight end in addition to backing up both Moses on the right side and Becton on the left.

Speaking of Becton, the standout rookie frequently needed to miss time last season due to injury or endurance issues. Luckily, something Moses is known for is his durability. He has started every single game for the Washington Football Team in the last six years, playing at least 92 percent of the snaps in all of them.

The hope is that Becton won’t become a perpetual injury concern for the Jets, but why not provide some insurance? Moses has proven he has the ability to stay healthy and perform at a high level — any GM wants that on their team.

Another thing that any GM wants on their team is veteran leadership. This Jets team, while absolutely dripping with promise, is still very young. Moses is 30 years old and was drafted in 2014, meaning he’s had plenty of experience in the NFL – experience that will be invaluable to a locker room lacking it. He was a team captain last year.

Even among the current presumed starters on the offensive line, the two most talented players (Becton and Vera-Tucker) are also the two youngest and least experienced. In fact, both of them are far better talent-wise than the veterans they play next to. At least now, Moses closes that talent gap while also providing much-needed experience and advice for the youngsters.

During his introductory press conference as the Jets’ general manager in 2019, Douglas told fans and reporters that he believes building a team starts in the trenches.

Then, on his draft night phone call with Zach Wilson, Robert Saleh told his new young quarterback, “this organization will lift you, not the other way around.”

They say actions speak louder than words, and thus far, Douglas and Saleh have shown that they mean what they say. The addition of Morgan Moses only further solidifies that.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/06/30/morgan-moses-changes-ny-jets-offense/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...