Jump to content

Are the Jets shopping LB CJ Mosley?


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think Joe D had interest in trading Mosely before the draft.  But after OTAs, i think Mosely proved to the coaching staff that he is healthy, a great leader and is still a pro bowl caliber player.

CJ Mosely will not only be on the team this year, but will be the mvp of the defense.

 

I'll believe it when I see it. This signing has been a disaster 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What Joe Douglas pictures every time he looks at one of Macc's acquisitions:

This Twitter account was exposed years ago as a SF 49ers fan living in Kentucky who just makes things up.  One of their “reporters” doesn’t exist and got exposed tweeting from the account they use to

The Crowder articles are now dead and not a source of click bait so I expect 8 months of CJ Mosley ones now.

Posted Images

"CJ is the best player on the team"

"CJ's contract makes him untradeable"

"Fake news - I hate rumor season"

 

Thread is full of a whole bunch of homers and misinformation. 

Here's some facts: 

The Jets have been listening on CJ since the start of FA. 

CJ is 29. 

CJ was Elite as a 3-4 LB in Balitmore. We do not run that system and several LB's from Baltimore have not played well on other teams once they leave in Balitmore. 

His contract is absolutely horrible. 

Quote

He's set to make $6 million (fully guaranteed) this season and count just $7.5 million against the cap, a reasonable number for anyone willing to trade for him. But the problem is in 2022, when Mosley is set to make $16 million and count $17.5 million against the cap. Mosley's 2021 salary is fully guaranteed, and $8 million of his 2022 salary is guaranteed. But the other $8 million of his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed on Friday, which means that that either the Jets or the team that trades for him is on the hook for two years and $22 million, no matter what.

If the Jets do trade Mosley, it won't have a huge impact on the salary cap this year. They'll save $1.5 million in cap space while carrying $6 million of his contract as dead money. The big impact would come in 2022, when his new team would be responsible for his scheduled $17.5 million cap hit, not the Jets.

If you don't think JD is trying to get rid of this horrid contract for a old player then you simply have not been following his moves these last few years. Wether it was at the start of FA, now or midseason the second some other team is dumb enough to trade for this contract JD is going to jump on it. 

IMO it is highly unlikely anyone takes this contract unless they have a major injury somewhere. Who is going to want to pay a 30 yr old LB 17m next year. CJ will likely be our MLB this year and next before being cut. If JD somehow gets a trade done he is amazing. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

His contract is going to put suitors off but I imagine we'd trade him for anything to get that salary off the books.

I do think Saleh would want him to stay though. Think he can be a really good piece in that defence, the reports of late have been extremely encouraging. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2021 at 10:46 AM, Larz said:

So if the jets wanted to kick in like 2 mill to make it more palatable, what would the other team be absorbing?    
 

i know this is a bogus article but I’m bored lol

If they kicked in another $2MM it'd be $4MM this year, $16MM next year. All salary (no bonus) and all of it fully guaranteed. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If they kicked in another $2MM it'd be $4MM this year, $16MM next year. All salary (no bonus) and all of it fully guaranteed. 

 

Yeah he’s not going anywhere 

the LB group needs him 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would be shocked, because there's no freaking way any of the 31 teams out there should have any desire to take on his contract.

Agreed.  You don't sell an asset when it is at its  low.  Bad contract, missing most of the last two years.  I can't see us getting anything close to fair value in a trade right now. 

Let him get on the field, show he can still play, and if we fall out of contention and want to, we can  move him at the deadline.  We are likely to get more for him at the deaadline from a contender.  If someone is willing to overpay now, fine, but I don't see it.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t wait for the JD criticism for “ignoring the defense” when we are losing high scoring games. Oh, it’s a-comin’!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Absolutely not.  When he was healthy he was the best player on the field for both teams.  

Right, but we have no way of knowing how healthy he is, what kind of game shape he's in (remember Le'Veon's boxing videos?  He looked to be in shape last offseason, but it didn't seem to matter), or whether he's the same player since that one half of football 2 years ago.  He was incredibly impressive that day but why are you dismissing out of hand the idea that he's not going to get Le'Veon'd?  2 years is a long time to sit out in football, and its a young man's game.  29 isn't old, and LB's obviously tend to last longer than RB's, but it isn't young, either.

IF those assumptions can be safely made that he's the same player or close to it, we're absolutely getting an excellent player at LB in 2021, albeit still an overpaid one. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He was hurt and then there was a pandemic that shut the world down.  Bell just lost his speed and ability.  The little bit he played he didnt look shot.  Bell was a shot player.  Thats not the same as Mosely.

And you know this for sure....how?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If they kicked in another $2MM it'd be $4MM this year, $16MM next year. All salary (no bonus) and all of it fully guaranteed. 

OK.  So what are the ramifications if the Jets trade him?  How much money will the new team be taking on if they trade for him?  And what kind of draft pick are you expecting the Jets could get in a trade, if any?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Can’t wait for the JD criticism for “ignoring the defense” when we are losing high scoring games. Oh, it’s a-comin’!

Absolutely coming.  Meanwhile I'll just be sitting here crying some tears of joy while the Jets become a team that is capable of losing shootouts rather than the usual 13-10 snooze-fests or blowout losses.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Absolutely coming.  Meanwhile I'll just be sitting here crying some tears of joy while the Jets become a team that is capable of losing shootouts rather than the usual 13-10 snooze-fests or blowout losses.

I’ll be happy when I can draft a Jets skill player for my fantasy team again.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’ll be happy when I can draft a Jets skill player for my fantasy team again.

I'm not waiting on that.  After about a 8-9 year drought of not drafting any Jets players of significance, I'm 100 % drafting Michael Carter in my money league (barring an injury of course), where I'm the only Jets fan.  I believe in the Shanahan system and his talent.  I'm leaving the WR's alone, however.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.  So what are the ramifications if the Jets trade him?  How much money will the new team be taking on if they trade for him?  And what kind of draft pick are you expecting the Jets could get in a trade, if any?

Overall zero new $ if they trade him: then they're off the hook for the remaining $6MM this year & $16MM next year. At this stage of the offseason the remaining SB amort (just $1.5MM/yr anyway) won't matter for 2021. But there are 3 more years of it after this year - designed to be $1.5MM per year of his 5 yr deal - so if he's traded this year then the last 3 years of that ($4.5MM total) would all hit in year 3, even though he wouldn't be on the team. But it's not new money; that was hitting the cap whether he was also paid additional salary or not. 

But I agree with @Larz & have a hard time thinking they're trading him: if he's damaged goods the team knows about it and JD will get a bad reputation too early in his career (not worth one deal like this); if he's not known to be damaged goods then the team could use him. So it seems unlikely, just to avoid next year's $. They already paid him $10MM during his covid sit-out season (which is why his current $ seems so low), and all that matters at this point is how much is left. From JD's standpoint he's signed for $22MM for 2021-2022 followed by annual team options at $17MM that (where we sit today) seems unlikely to get paid. 

They'd have to get a really good pick back to trade him, which seems unlikely after barely seeing the field since the 2019 season ended. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right, but we have no way of knowing how healthy he is, what kind of game shape he's in (remember Le'Veon's boxing videos?  He looked to be in shape last offseason, but it didn't seem to matter), or whether he's the same player since that one half of football 2 years ago.  He was incredibly impressive that day but why are you dismissing out of hand the idea that he's not going to get Le'Veon'd?  2 years is a long time to sit out in football, and its a young man's game.  29 isn't old, and LB's obviously tend to last longer than RB's, but it isn't young, either.

IF those assumptions can be safely made that he's the same player or close to it, we're absolutely getting an excellent player at LB in 2021, albeit still an overpaid one. 

Im getting your point but hes not Bell.  Theyre the same age but Mosley plays a position where you can be effective well after 30.   Bell came here as a RB with lots of milage.  Mosley didnt get used up by his team with all those carries Bell had on him.  

The idea that he cant be in shape because of a year off is overused.  Players come back all the time after being out a year with injuries and they come back in shape.  Bell IMO didnt suck because he was out of shape, he sucked because he lost his speed.  

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And you know this for sure....how?  

Think I covered this responding to your other reply.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The entire "new" Jets story is a crapshoot. Rookie coach, rookie QB, kiddos everywhere.

The least risky bet IMO is on CJ Mosely playing at a high level. He's on my list of parts we can count on to perform.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If a team offered anything for Mosley I’m sure JD would jump at the chance to just get rid of him.  Mosley is the last of the many Maccagnan blunders still affecting this roster.   What makes things worse is that he’s a terrible fit for what Saleh likes to do on defense.   Mosley is an old school 3-4 thumper ILBer, a dinosaur in today’s game.   Look at the guys the Jets have drafted or signed to play LBer this year, Davis is a hair under 230 pounds, then they drafted two safeties to convert to LBer in the draft.   Wishing for Mosley to play well to generate trade interest may be a long shot as he’s a fish out of water in this defense.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Im getting your point but hes not Bell.  Theyre the same age but Mosley plays a position where you can be effective well after 30.   Bell came here as a RB with lots of milage.  Mosley didnt get used up by his team with all those carries Bell had on him.  

The idea that he cant be in shape because of a year off is overused.  Players come back all the time after being out a year with injuries and they come back in shape.  Bell IMO didnt suck because he was out of shape, he sucked because he lost his speed.  

 

Everything you said here makes sense until the bold; in Saleh's system, won't speed be required out of Mosley?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Everything you said here makes sense until the bold; in Saleh's system, won't speed be required out of Mosley?

Isnt that why he lost a lot of weight in the off season?  

When did Mosley become slow anyway?   He something around a 5 time pro bowler.  He'll fit in.  He thinks so, more importantly Saleh thinks so.

But my initial point is Bell was partly an attitude issue.  He never bought in.  I hope im right dont see Mosley as an attitude

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Isnt that why he lost a lot of weight in the off season?  

When did Mosley become slow anyway?   He something around a 5 time pro bowler.  He'll fit in.  He thinks so, more importantly Saleh thinks so.

But my initial point is Bell was partly an attitude issue.  He never bought in.  I hope im right dont see Mosley as an attitude

 

Bell lost weight last offseason as well.  It didn't work out. 

Mosley was a 4x Pro Bowler playing in a 3-4 system.  I'm not convinced that he'll easily adapt to a 4-3.  Maybe good LB's are good LB's any time, in all systems, no matter how long they're off the field, and all it takes is losing some weight.  I just don't think we're getting more than, say, 60 % of what we got in that one half in 2019.  Hope he proves me wrong.  I can't say I completely lack enthusiasm with Mosley, I'm just tempered in my expectations there.

As for the bold, I disagree.  Bell's been acting like a petulant child since he left, but it seemed like he operated like a good soldier here, when I wouldn't have blamed anyone for causing trouble during a 2-14 season.  I didn't see that bad attitude at all until after he was gone.  But who knows, maybe there was stuff behind the scenes that said otherwise.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just don't think we're getting more than, say, 60 % of what we got in that one half in 2019

I'd take 60% of that game.  1/2 an INT and 1/2 of a TD per game?  He would be a total game changer.  😁

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I'll believe it when I see it. This signing has been a disaster 

Macc's tenure nicely summarized

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Isnt that why he lost a lot of weight in the off season?  

When did Mosley become slow anyway?   He something around a 5 time pro bowler.  He'll fit in.  He thinks so, more importantly Saleh thinks so.

But my initial point is Bell was partly an attitude issue.  He never bought in.  I hope im right dont see Mosley as an attitude

Also Adam Gase. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2021 at 7:59 AM, Shockwave said:

"CJ is the best player on the team"

"CJ's contract makes him untradeable"

"Fake news - I hate rumor season"

 

Thread is full of a whole bunch of homers and misinformation. 

Here's some facts: 

The Jets have been listening on CJ since the start of FA. 

CJ is 29. 

CJ was Elite as a 3-4 LB in Balitmore. We do not run that system and several LB's from Baltimore have not played well on other teams once they leave in Balitmore. 

His contract is absolutely horrible. 

If you don't think JD is trying to get rid of this horrid contract for a old player then you simply have not been following his moves these last few years. Wether it was at the start of FA, now or midseason the second some other team is dumb enough to trade for this contract JD is going to jump on it. 

IMO it is highly unlikely anyone takes this contract unless they have a major injury somewhere. Who is going to want to pay a 30 yr old LB 17m next year. CJ will likely be our MLB this year and next before being cut. If JD somehow gets a trade done he is amazing. 

Well it depends how you look at it. If you view each season as a container with a lid then yes it's $16MM next year. But money can be moved around to hit more in one year than another, as teams require for a given season. So more correctly, you look at the whole: $22MM over the upcoming 2 seasons - all of that fully guaranteed - after which he's likely to get released (unless he agrees to a pay cut). 

Other teams will view him as 2 years at $11MM each (lopsided in a way they like this year since the cap is artificially lower). He may very well be worth that, and if he actually plays he probably is worth it.

If it helps anyone mentally get past the inflated cap number next year, then his new team can offer to pay $5MM of that now in the form of a new roster bonus upon his arrival there. I'm quite sure Mosley would happily accept $5MM of 2022's weekly salary in a lump sum over a year early (especially with the 17th game check capped at $250K he'll make more for that final 2022 game, without even factoring in a year-plus in interest). Then his cap hits will be a straight $11MM each for two years. 

I tend to think Douglas will keep him this year because they frankly have too few other players, and with the league's most youthful & inexperienced secondary as it is, they could use an extra veteran in the defensive huddle. But it's just a guess; I've no idea what he's thinking.

I just think if Douglas was interested in a pure salary dump no matter what, it'd have been done already. Teams interested in trading for Mosley were (allegedly) calling Douglas back in March. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Im getting your point but hes not Bell.  Theyre the same age but Mosley plays a position where you can be effective well after 30.   Bell came here as a RB with lots of milage.  Mosley didnt get used up by his team with all those carries Bell had on him.  

The idea that he cant be in shape because of a year off is overused.  Players come back all the time after being out a year with injuries and they come back in shape.  Bell IMO didnt suck because he was out of shape, he sucked because he lost his speed.  

 

2 years

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

2 years

No, said he took off one year because of COVID

He was injured the other season.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s totally true that the Jets don’t want to pay Mosley elite money and JD has no love lost for Macc’s signings. And also true that Saleh and staff is capable of evaluating Mosley. If he’s not worth it they aren’t going to hold onto him. But if he’s showing them he’s still an impact player anything close to the two games he actually played for us why would they want to get rid of him then. He could be a game changer for Saleh and he knows it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...