TE Situation

I think a mistake to again depend on Herndon to be your lead tight end. He is wildly inconsistent and can’t on a regular basis consistently make plays as a lead receiver. I think also a mistake to not have the tight end position figure prominently in our teams offense. Our backup tight ends are ok but we don’t have someone who can consistently make plays. So if they can get a guy like Ertz I’d do it for sure. 

22 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

You could argue that wr and ol will not be a need in the first two rounds next year. Edge, TE, LB and DB would be my top  4  picks right now for 2022

We will still probably be needing a RT/C/G to groom in the near future and JD doesn’t hesitate using high draft picks on the OL.  But of course there is also FA next year to add a couple players to the mix. This year will dictate JD’s future moves in a big way. 

8 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

What about Ryan Griffin? A couple of years back he seemed to surprise with his unexpected production, then last year, not so much. He’s 31. Is he done? Doesn’t seem to have many fans in here. 

I think the issue with Griffin is the injury history.  Had ankle surgery in the offseason after 2019 and did not seem like the same player.  He had a decent 2019, but two years older and after major surgery and an off year, I am not sure how much he is going to bounce back.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

No he isn’t ?

Because you too, expect a breakout year?  lol

No but seriously, I think he's going to have a good year.  I watched those videos someone posted of the offense/system, etc.  Man, Kittle gets wide open.  Like, all over the field in numerous different ways, screens, delays, quick flats, outs, middle of the field.  He's amazing and I'm not comparing, I just think Herndon is the best TE on the roster and consequently, is going to get a ton of easy/quick looks from Wilson.

I've said this before but all anyone remembers are the egregious drops w/ Chris and yes, he has them and they're ugly when they happen.  However, he also holds a career 69% catch rate which is good for best on the roster both seasons he was healthy (for actual pass catchers with over 30 targets).  He also catches a TD for every 10 catches.  To me those are statistics that speak to a player who will produce better with more reps/targets and most importantly (hopefully) better QB play in a system that works to get the ball to TE's in space.  The most targets he's ever seen is 56.    Kittle had 63 in 8 games last year.  136/107 the years before.  I dont think Chris gets that many targets but it speaks to the system that targeted their FB, more then the Jets targeted Herndon.

8 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Because you too, expect a breakout year?  lol

No but seriously, I think he's going to have a good year.  I watched those videos someone posted of the offense/system, etc.  Man, Kittle gets wide open.  Like, all over the field in numerous different ways, screens, delays, quick flats, outs, middle of the field.  He's amazing and I'm not comparing, I just think Herndon is the best TE on the roster and consequently, is going to get a ton of easy/quick looks from Wilson.

I've said this before but all anyone remembers are the egregious drops w/ Chris and yes, he has them and they're ugly when they happen.  However, he also holds a career 69% catch rate which is good for best on the roster both seasons he was healthy (for actual pass catchers with over 30 targets).  He also catches a TD for every 10 catches.  To me those are statistics that speak to a player who will produce better with more reps/targets and most importantly (hopefully) better QB play in a system that works to get the ball to TE's in space.  The most targets he's ever seen is 56.    Kittle had 63 in 8 games last year.  136/107 the years before.  I dont think Chris gets that many targets but it speaks to the system that targeted their FB, more then the Jets targeted Herndon.

I hope your right, I hope a lot was on the Gase effect. Although I want to see him actually perform, we’ve had so much fluff on player over the years that turn out to be sh*te. Let see who they pick up after camp cuts, that will tell you all you need to know how Saleh and co think of Herndon.