Anthony Muñoz on Alijah Vera-Tucker: 'Going to Be a Great, Great Player'

Anthony Muñoz on Alijah Vera-Tucker: ‘Going to Be a Great, Great Player’ (newyorkjets.com)

I Hope he's right because Munoz WAS A BEAST...

SZ1_0928-avt-thumb

Hall of Fame offensive tackle Anthony Muñoz got a late start to his golf game but has no hesitation admitting he's an early and dedicated fan of Alijah Vera-Tucker, the second of the Jets' two first-round picks in the 2021 NFL Draft.

The two former USC offensive linemen, one drafted No. 3 overall in 1980 and one drafted No. 14 overall in 2021, had a chance to meet in person before the draft at a Pro Football Hall of Fame annual mentor/mentee event Arizona.

"I happened to be out there with Vera-Tucker," Muñoz said. "You get to spend the day in the classroom talking football, then it's out on the football field to go through technique questions. I went through some things I used. It's a cool program all about mentors and mentees for a young man who's going to be drafted. We went over some techniques, and he asked a lot of questions. Some guys are hesitant, but we talked it through. I showed him stuff, he showed me stuff.

"The first thing I knew about Vera-Tucker was that he played guard, he opted out because of Covid, then when the Pac-12 decided to play, he played left tackle and he played extremely well. I knew he was versatile, to move from inside to outside and to be effective. ... I knew he was a pretty good offensive lineman, but the thing I noticed right away was how genuine and down to earth he is. At the same time, he's focused and eager to get to work. He wanted to learn. That's the sign of a guy who's going to be a great, great player. He wants to learn and he's not satisfied with his performance at the college level."

Muñoz played 13 seasons in the trenches for the Cincinnati Bengals. That's impressive longevity at a position that can eat men alive. His accolades and awards are impressive: Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year (1991); nine-time first-team All-Pro; 11-time selection to the Pro Bowl; first team NFL 1980s All-Decade Team; NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team; and NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team. In college, he played on USC's national championship team in 1978 and overcame a knee injury to return and play in the 1980 Rose Bowl victory over Ohio State.

Vera-Tucker also had a stellar career at USC. According to Pro Football Focus, AVT played 975 total snaps in pass protection and allowed only 5 sacks, 3 quarterback hits and 8 quarterback hurries. Vera-Tucker's career pass-blocking grade was 91.6, which is the second-highest among offensive linemen in the 2021 draft class. This year he won the Morris Trophy, awarded by the Washington Athletic Club, to the best offensive and defensive linemen in the Pac-12 Conference

Asked about the mentality, or mean streak necessary for an offensive lineman to succeed in the NFL, Muñoz pointed to an interesting contrast among the guys in the trenches on offense.

"Most offensive linemen are cut from the same cloth when they get off the field, easygoing, cordial, nice," Muñoz said. "But get them between the lines and try to get to the running back or the quarterback and a switch turns on. No way. You're going to do what it takes to keep them off my guys. He's right there, calm, poised, being a professional even on college level. When it's time to produce I wouldn't look at Vera-Tucker on the field like there's a rookie out there. He's just a rookie because he was drafted. Once he starts mixing it up, that's all behind him. He wants a starting position. He's just going to be poised, polite, then you'll see a different side once he's on the field."

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 4

Another great player the Jets passed on.

Think it was Kensil who believed Munoz's knee would be an issue and prevent him from excelling or lasting in the NFL.

That worked out well.  Instead of the great Anthony Munoz we got the immortal Johnny Lam Jones

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, billo83 said:

And Peyton Manning said Gase would be a great HC. 

Too bad the discussion with Peyton was over the phone. He must've had the widest duper's delight smile in history when giving the Jets his recommendation.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

USC alum thinks USC alum will be a great player more news at 11:00.

There is a ho hum element to the article.  Have to publish something.

Doesn't change the fact that AVT projects to be a top choice at OL.  The comments on AVT as a very solid citizen are consistent with what we have learned about him thus far, and consistent with what JD looks for in addition to athletic performance.

In the absence of real news, this was a good thing to read.  At least we aren't reading about fruitcakes like Jackie Polite.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, addage said:

There is a ho hum element to the article.  Have to publish something.

Doesn't change the fact that AVT projects to be a top choice at OL.  The comments on AVT as a very solid citizen are consistent with what we have learned about him thus far, and consistent with what JD looks for in addition to athletic performance.

In the absence of real news, this was a good thing to read.  At least we aren't reading about fruitcakes like Jackie Polite.

Jets fan likes positive Jets news more news at 11:00.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:02 AM, Jet Nut said:

Another great player the Jets passed on.

Think it was Kensil who believed Munoz's knee would be an issue and prevent him from excelling or lasting in the NFL.

That worked out well.  Instead of the great Anthony Munoz we got the immortal Johnny Lam Jones

Kensil had it right a lot of the time.  Not that time, though... 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes a cant miss for me.  Starting next year, i see 10 straight pro bowls in his future.

Schreff with WFT was the 5th pick I believe in 2015, one ahead of Leo. Raised eyebrows back then. Seems AVT has an even higher upside. STEAL the bacon ? and run!  

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When he was with Walt Michaels, I assume Michaels had big time input

With others like Walton, no so great

I think Michaels hand picked Joe Klecko and Greg Buttle and a few others from that period.  Michaels' input on manpower was all over the team that almost made it to the Super Bowl if not for the Miami Mud Pie...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I think Michaels hand picked Joe Klecko and Greg Buttle and a few others from that period.  Michaels' input on manpower was all over the team that almost made it to the Super Bowl if not for the Miami Mud Pie...

Gastineau, Lyons, Buttle….

More importantly he seemed to know which draft picks to keep and how to develop them