Kenny Yeboah Will Challenge for PT at TE

With all the talk about the TE position, I feel this kid is being overlooked big time.  I know he is undrafted rookie but I think some of that had to do with his transfer from Temple and this being a pandemic year and no combine.   I think in a normal year he goes in the 3rd or 4th rounds.  Certainly he would get drafted; he is just too talented not to.   

I realize it is a stretch to seem as a starter right now, but he could certainly emerge and take that role during the season or at least move up the depth chart to 2nd or 3rd TE.   He is probably the most athletically gifted TE on the team 6'4 1/2, 250 and runs extremely well.  Not to mention his arms are almost as long as Kyle Pitts.   I know he had a couple of drops in mini camp but he caught just about everything thrown his way in college so I am not worried about his hands.  

While he finished with only 27 receptions, he had 527 yards (playing only 8 games because of Covid).   He had games with 5 for 93 yards, 4 for 83 yards and true break out game against Alabama where he put the  nation on notice as to just how good he could be, 7 for 181 and two TDS.  He finished the year with 6 touchdowns and 244 yards after the catch which but him in top five for TEs this year.  The knock against him is he doesn't project to an inline TE at the next level and more of a Move TE.  However, I have seen several examples of him holding his own as blocker on the line.  I have seen him on a couple of interviews and he is a very smart, confident kid and really like his chances.   He spoke about his blocking and how that was part of his game he was definitely working on and one that he took pride in.  I think part of it is him just needing to get a little stronger and also improving his technique.  Having said that, he looked decent to me in that area and I am definitely rooting for him.   I think he would add another dimension to the offense and the more weapons Zach has at his disposal, the better.  

https://olemisssports.com/sports/football/roster/kenny-yeboah/2730

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

If I recall from the camp reports, it sounded like he had more drops than catches.

May not be ready for prime-time this season. Hopefully he improves and competes once the pads go on.

How does one all of a sudden forget how to catch the ball SMH ??‍♂️ 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think we have cooled on Yeboah as he didnt do much in mini camp.

Ive come to the conclusion that Yeboah is going to take time to develop.  I am not expecting much from him this year.

Hey man, can we get some freaking pads on before predicting with such conviction?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think we have cooled on Yeboah as he didnt do much in mini camp.

Ive come to the conclusion that Yeboah is going to take time to develop.  I am not expecting much from him this year.

Dude it is mini camp. It literally means nothing.  Sure we would like players to look good in shorts, let's see how he does once the actually hitting begins.   It was his first camp, give him a chance to get used to the speed of the game and to get more reps.   If anything I think he may surprise.  I look forward to seeing him in preseason.  

26 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Dude it is mini camp. It literally means nothing.  Sure we would like players to look good in shorts, let's see how he does once the actually hitting begins.   It was his first camp, give him a chance to get used to the speed of the game and to get more reps.   If anything I think he may surprise.  I look forward to seeing him in preseason.  

He already has Zach Wilson as the top 5 QB in the league based on OTAs, sort of bias.

I like to be optimistic, but once the pads are on and the player busts, all the  OTAs heroics will become a distant memory.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

How does one all of a sudden forget how to catch the ball SMH ??‍♂️ 

He had a couple of drops IN MINI CAMP.  Jezus, first Mims sucks and now this...  The utter lack of patience from this fan base is mind blowing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

I see him as a practice squad candidate.  But the again, I have not seen him at all, so what do I know.  Curious to see how he looks in preseason games and where he seems to fit on teh depth chart.

It would be different if we were loaded with talent at the TE position, we are not.  I mean there are articles hyping up Tyler Croft for Gods sake.   Unless we pick up someone cut by another team, I strongly see him having a chance to make the team.  Similar to Isiah Dunn the UDFA corner, Yeboah was given one of the largest contracts ever given to an UDFA.   There is a reason they did that and also a reason they jumped on him as quick as they did.  They obviously saw something, (a mid round talent going undrafted) and he will be in the mix for rotation minutes unless he totally flames out in camp next month.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

He did go undrafted when he was projected to be drafted early. May have something to do with it. Who knows.

He was projected to go around the 4th round or 5th round and that was with the him only playing 8 games because of the pandemic.   I think if this had been a normal kind of year he could have gone as high as mid to late 3rd.  I think he was just overlooked and when the draft ended, JD wasted no time in getting this kid signed to a pretty sizable contract for an UDFA.  They obviously see something there. 

Hope you're right.   It's not exactly the toughest position group to win some playing time but I wouldnt hold my breath.  He was a 5th year Snr. transfer who never caught more then 20 passes at Temple and it took an Ole Miss yolo offensive team to crack 20.  So not sure how reflective that is of his talent but rather the system.  In comparison, Moore caught 86.   There is a reason he went undrafted.  He's just not very good but we'll see.  You never know.  

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

He was projected to go around the 4th round or 5th round and that was with the him only playing 8 games because of the pandemic.   I think if this had been a normal kind of year he could have gone as high as mid to late 3rd.  I think he was just overlooked and when the draft ended, JD wasted no time in getting this kid signed to a pretty sizable contract for an UDFA.  They obviously see something there. 

He was in college for 5 years...

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

He had a couple of drops IN MINI CAMP.  Jezus, first Mims sucks and now this...  The utter lack of patience from this fan base is mind blowing. 

Every Jets fan who lacked patience is long gone 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

With all the talk about the TE position, I feel this kid is being overlooked big time.  I know he is undrafted rookie but I think some of that had to do with his transfer from Temple and this being a pandemic year and no combine.   I think in a normal year he goes in the 3rd or 4th rounds.  Certainly he would get drafted; he is just too talented not to.   

I realize it is a stretch to seem as a starter right now, but he could certainly emerge and take that role during the season or at least move up the depth chart to 2nd or 3rd TE.   He is probably the most athletically gifted TE on the team 6'4 1/2, 250 and runs extremely well.  Not to mention his arms are almost as long as Kyle Pitts.   I know he had a couple of drops in mini camp but he caught just about everything thrown his way in college so I am not worried about his hands.  

While he finished with only 27 receptions, he had 527 yards (playing only 8 games because of Covid).   He had games with 5 for 93 yards, 4 for 83 yards and true break out game against Alabama where he put the  nation on notice as to just how good he could be, 7 for 181 and two TDS.  He finished the year with 6 touchdowns and 244 yards after the catch which but him in top five for TEs this year.  The knock against him is he doesn't project to an inline TE at the next level and more of a Move TE.  However, I have seen several examples of him holding his own as blocker on the line.  I have seen him on a couple of interviews and he is a very smart, confident kid and really like his chances.   He spoke about his blocking and how that was part of his game he was definitely working on and one that he took pride in.  I think part of it is him just needing to get a little stronger and also improving his technique.  Having said that, he looked decent to me in that area and I am definitely rooting for him.   I think he would add another dimension to the offense and the more weapons Zach has at his disposal, the better.  

https://olemisssports.com/sports/football/roster/kenny-yeboah/2730

He looks like Zach could find him useful. 

15 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

If I recall from the camp reports, it sounded like he had more drops than catches.

May not be ready for prime-time this season. Hopefully he improves and competes once the pads go on.

He struggled with drops in college and struggled with drops in minicamp - its not a conincidence.

He has some excellent physical traits and is worth keeping as the 3rd TE (if we keep Wesco too) to develop down the road but he is the type of guy who needs to do an hour on the jugs machine every day for the next year until he fixes his issue with drops.

• Upvote 2

I saw a picture of KY without his shirt on, and he did not look like an NFL tight end.  

It is easy to underestimate the mental aspect of being an NFL player.  Players will put up good numbers, or flash in games, and scouts/we think that player can be good.  But can the player focus, be disciplined, understand the playbook, etc.  My guess is that not a few of them have ADHD or similar issues.   Maybe that is why they don't get drafted. 

So let's see how Herndon's and Yeboah's heads are screwed on when they show up to Training Camp.  I see signs that both of them are deficient.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Hope you're right.   It's not exactly the toughest position group to win some playing time but I wouldnt hold my breath.  He was a 5th year Snr. transfer who never caught more then 20 passes at Temple and it took an Ole Miss yolo offensive team to crack 20.  So not sure how reflective that is of his talent but rather the system.  In comparison, Moore caught 86.   There is a reason he went undrafted.  He's just not very good but we'll see.  You never know.  

And yet Hackenberg was drafted in the 2nd round

Mind Blown (Desi Arnaz) | Reaction GIFs

• Haha 1