Besides a loss, what would most disappoint you week 1?

jgb

Week 1  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Besides a loss, what would most disappoint you week 1?

• Darnold plays lights out
    • Bechton can't play because of his foot
    • Zach Wilson has a terrible game
    • CMC runs hog wild
    • Saleh looks out of depth as a HC -- bad clock management, play calls, etc.
    • CJ Mosley comes up small
    • Herndon has several bad drops
    • No rookie skill player does anything of note
    • Corey Davis is invisible
    • Mims shows no growth from last year
    • Our CBs get roasted by several deep plays
    • Robby Anderson goes gonzo
    • Our kicker misses a couple gimmes
    • As long as we win, nothing else matters.
    • Nothing can disappoint me. It's one game.

What a ridiculous thread.  Other than a few posts putting game one with a rookie QB, a first time HC with a first time OC in proper perspective, the rest of you are clearly going to completely and ridiculously overreact to this game.  And anybody who says they can tell how the season will play out based on the first game or how Wilson's career, Saleh's career, or anybody else's career will play out after this game is completely full of crap.

This thread is proof that the NFL screwed the Jets by playing this game in week 1. The NFL media and Jets fans can't handle this game and put it in proper perspective.  

I can give hundreds of examples that week 1 is completely misleading in predicting the rest of the season for teams and players. This game is visually meaningless.   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

What a ridiculous thread.  Other than a few posts putting game one with a rookie QB, a first time HC with a first time OC in proper perspective, the rest of you are clearly going to completely and ridiculously overreact to this game.  And anybody who says they can tell how the season will play out based on the first game or how Wilson's career, Saleh's career, or anybody else's career will play out after this game is completely full of crap.

This thread is proof that the NFL screwed the Jets by playing this game in week 1. The NFL media and Jets fans can't handle this game and put it in proper perspective.  

I can give hundreds of examples that week 1 is completely misleading in predicting the rest of the season for teams and players. This game is visually meaningless.   

I wish I added "if my fellow fans over-react according to my own subjective standards" as a poll option.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Better to get off on good footing. 2 years ago in the opener, the Jets out played the Bills and lost because of 4 points in the kicking game.  The Bills barely made the playoffs and the Jets just missed them.  Look where we are now

The butterfly effect :( 

Elway had amazing mobility and a strong arm.  Peyton was not in synch, but the arm talent was there.  I dont agree with what you saw.   Another example close to home was Kellen Clemmens.  I knew he was going to suck after 1 game as a starter.  
But that is the past.  
Tune in when I give my assessment of Wilson and Lawrence after their first starts.  
I will tell you, here in this very forum... If both of those respective QB's have a shot at becoming productive NFL QB's after one start.  That's right.  I'll be able to tell if either one will suck for ever and ever after just one start. 

Sort of agree .. if we see happy feet everywhere and balls thrown behind the receivers consistently... I'll be warming the tank up....

If we see ghosts ... I'm buying stock in General Dynamics before week 2.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

If we have 2 season ending injuries to key players.

Other than that thank God we don't play all 17 games on the first day. Some of these responses are flat out loony predicting the end of the world on one game.

In this first game-
Saleh can fug up
Wilson can look like sh*t
We can get lit up in the secondary
We can average less than 3 yards on the ground

And we can still make the playoffs. This is the first capable looking front office, coaching staff and frankly group of players we have seen in a decade. We actually have potential in each position group...even corner and Lb...no team is perfect and has holes but there are a LOT of solid pieces. Only injuries can disappoint me.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

The only thing that would be a bit of a red flag to me is if Saleh looks totally overwhelmed out there. If he looks in command and avoids any WTF brain farts, nothing else can disappoint me (except major injuries).

19 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I watch the first Regular season game that Josh Rosen played in.  I knew he was never going to pan out as a starter after that game.  I thought the same for a handful of other QB's their first time out.  And I had it right each time.  

6B17346E-55F6-4495-8793-2BBA36A84C99.jpeg

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Elway and Manning both looked very promising in their debut performance despite the numbers.  They passed the eye test.  You could clearly see the toolbox.  It was obvious. 

I watch ND college football and I thought that Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen had a shot at being pro QB's.   UNTIL I saw their debut games.  Quinn looked like a robot and Clausen was clearly strained.  I knew after their first regular season games that they would not pan out.  Same deal with Dwayne Haskins.  I thought he'd be good as pro until I saw his debut.

The only QB that I thought would SUCK after his first game that wound up improving was Josh Allen. 

I call BS in a big way.  Many great QBs had horrible first games.  The commentary below is from the great Gil Brandt, who I trust more than some guy on an internet team forum. 

Troy Aikman

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Dallas Cowboys in 1989.

First start: Loss (28-0) to the Saints in Week 1 of 1989; 17 of 35 (48.6 percent) for 180 yards, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, two sacks and a passer rating of 40.2.

Aikman  finished his first season -- which was interrupted by a broken finger that cost him five games -- with nine touchdowns against 18 interceptions while averaging just 5.9 yards per pass. Those are not very good numbers. In fact, it wasn't until his third year in the NFL that he managed to throw more touchdowns (11) than picks (10).

John Elway

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Baltimore Colts in 1983 (traded to Denver Broncos).

First start: Win (14-10) over the Steelers in Week 1 of 1983; 1 of 8 (12.5 percent) for 14 yards, zero touchdowns, one interception, four sacks and a passer rating of 0.

Elway's debut was marred by an elbow injury that forced him out of the game, but his second start (9 of 21 for 106 yards, zero touchdowns and three sacks) wasn't much better. He went on to have a relatively rough rookie season -- 7:14 TD-to-INT ratio and 28 sacks in 11 games -- in which he was benched after three consecutive losses.

Andrew Luck

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Indianapolis Colts in 2012.

First start: Loss (41-21) to the Bears in Week 1 of 2012; 23 of 45 (51.1 percent) for 309 yards, one touchdown, three interceptions, three sacks and a passer rating of 52.9.

Luck struggled some initially with the speed of the game and maybe tried to force the ball more than he should have. 

Peyton Manning

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Indianapolis Colts in 1998.

First start: Loss (24-15) to the Dolphins in Week 1 of 1998; 21 of 37 (56.8 percent) for 302 yards, one touchdown, three interceptions, four sacks and a passer rating of 58.6.

Manning has, of course, become one of the premier quarterbacks in the game, earning 13 Pro Bowl nods and five MVP awards in 14 years with the Colts and two-plus years with the Denver Broncos. And though he set what was then a rookie record with 3,739 yards, he also went 3-13 in his first year with Indy -- and believe me when I tell you that a lot of people were asking whether he was good enough to hack it. In fact, after a less-than-stellar performance in a Week 5 victory over Ryan Leaf's Chargers that season, there were even some folks hollering that Indy should've taken Leaf instead of Manning with the first overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft. 

That Manning -- who was very well coached at Tennessee and has such a great understanding of the game -- stumbled out of the gate like that just illustrates how hard it is to start right away as a rookie, especially with the competitive balance being so great in the NFL. 

Alex Smith

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the San Francisco 49ers in 2005.

First start: Loss (28-3) to the Colts in Week 5 of 2005; 9 of 23 (39.1 percent) for 74 yards, zero touchdowns, four interceptions, five sacks and a passer rating of 8.5.

Smith is very smart, but it took time for that to translate to the NFL gridiron. He had a horrifically bad rookie year, taking 29 sacks and throwing 11 picks in just nine games (seven starts) while posting a sub-40 passer rating four times. Smith didn't find the end zone until the final game of the season, a 20-17 win over Houston. He seemed reluctant to throw downfield and didn't break out of checkdown mode for years.

It wasn't that Smith, who was neck and neck with Aaron Rodgers in my pre-draft scouting as a prospect, lacked talent. I think a key factor was that he just didn't get as lucky as other guys did in terms of the kind of coaching he received as a rookie. When Jim Harbaugharrived in 2011, he turned Smith into a good quarterback, and the signal-caller has continued to thrive with the Chiefs under Andy Reid. Just look at his numbers since '11: 38-15-1 record with a TD-to-INT ratio of 71:23.

Fran Tarkenton

Drafted: No. 29 overall (third round) by the Minnesota Vikings in 1961.

First start: Loss (21-7) to the Cowboys in Week 2 of 1961; 8 of 24 (33.3 percent) for 117 yards, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, three sacks and a passer rating of 15.5.

Tarkenton's first official start paled in comparison to what he accomplished in his true debut the week before, when he came off the bench to complete 74 percent of his passes for 250 yards and contribute five touchdowns (four in the air and one on the ground) to a 37-13 win over the Bears -- the first ever victory for the Vikings franchise. The rest of his season was a bit rockier, as he went 2-8 in 10 starts while posting a TD-to-INT ratio of 18:17 over 14 games. He had mixed results over the next few years before being traded to the Giants in 1967. This, he recently told me in a conversation on the phone, is when he turned his career around, installing the offense himself and calling the plays in New York as a 27-year-old quarterback; he credits himself as being the person most responsible for his ascension.

Steve Young

Drafted: No. 1 by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 1984 supplemental draft.

First start: Win (19-16, OT) over the Lions in Week 12 of 1985; 16 of 27 (59.3 percent) for 167 yards, zero touchdowns, zero interceptions, six sacks and a passer rating of 77.2; 10 carries for 60 yards.

Young wasn't exactly a rookie when he entered the NFL, having spent two years with the Los Angeles Express of the USFL before going to Tampa Bay. Perhaps Young became used to the lesser competition he saw in his first pro league, because he struggled with the Bucs, compiling a record of 3-16 as a starter while throwing nearly twice as many interceptions (21) as he did touchdown passes (11). Tampa Bay shipped him to San Francisco for a second- and a fourth-round pick in 1987 -- laying the groundwork for his career to take off into the stratosphere. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I call BS in a big way.  Many great QBs had horrible first games.  The commentary below is from the great Gil Brandt, who I trust more than some guy on an internet team forum. 

Troy Aikman

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Dallas Cowboys in 1989.

First start: Loss (28-0) to the Saints in Week 1 of 1989; 17 of 35 (48.6 percent) for 180 yards, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, two sacks and a passer rating of 40.2.

Aikman  finished his first season -- which was interrupted by a broken finger that cost him five games -- with nine touchdowns against 18 interceptions while averaging just 5.9 yards per pass. Those are not very good numbers. In fact, it wasn't until his third year in the NFL that he managed to throw more touchdowns (11) than picks (10).

John Elway

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Baltimore Colts in 1983 (traded to Denver Broncos).

First start: Win (14-10) over the Steelers in Week 1 of 1983; 1 of 8 (12.5 percent) for 14 yards, zero touchdowns, one interception, four sacks and a passer rating of 0.

Elway's debut was marred by an elbow injury that forced him out of the game, but his second start (9 of 21 for 106 yards, zero touchdowns and three sacks) wasn't much better. He went on to have a relatively rough rookie season -- 7:14 TD-to-INT ratio and 28 sacks in 11 games -- in which he was benched after three consecutive losses.

Andrew Luck

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Indianapolis Colts in 2012.

First start: Loss (41-21) to the Bears in Week 1 of 2012; 23 of 45 (51.1 percent) for 309 yards, one touchdown, three interceptions, three sacks and a passer rating of 52.9.

Luck struggled some initially with the speed of the game and maybe tried to force the ball more than he should have. 

Peyton Manning

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Indianapolis Colts in 1998.

First start: Loss (24-15) to the Dolphins in Week 1 of 1998; 21 of 37 (56.8 percent) for 302 yards, one touchdown, three interceptions, four sacks and a passer rating of 58.6.

Manning has, of course, become one of the premier quarterbacks in the game, earning 13 Pro Bowl nods and five MVP awards in 14 years with the Colts and two-plus years with the Denver Broncos. And though he set what was then a rookie record with 3,739 yards, he also went 3-13 in his first year with Indy -- and believe me when I tell you that a lot of people were asking whether he was good enough to hack it. In fact, after a less-than-stellar performance in a Week 5 victory over Ryan Leaf's Chargers that season, there were even some folks hollering that Indy should've taken Leaf instead of Manning with the first overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft. 

That Manning -- who was very well coached at Tennessee and has such a great understanding of the game -- stumbled out of the gate like that just illustrates how hard it is to start right away as a rookie, especially with the competitive balance being so great in the NFL. 

Alex Smith

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the San Francisco 49ers in 2005.

First start: Loss (28-3) to the Colts in Week 5 of 2005; 9 of 23 (39.1 percent) for 74 yards, zero touchdowns, four interceptions, five sacks and a passer rating of 8.5.

Smith is very smart, but it took time for that to translate to the NFL gridiron. He had a horrifically bad rookie year, taking 29 sacks and throwing 11 picks in just nine games (seven starts) while posting a sub-40 passer rating four times. Smith didn't find the end zone until the final game of the season, a 20-17 win over Houston. He seemed reluctant to throw downfield and didn't break out of checkdown mode for years.

It wasn't that Smith, who was neck and neck with Aaron Rodgers in my pre-draft scouting as a prospect, lacked talent. I think a key factor was that he just didn't get as lucky as other guys did in terms of the kind of coaching he received as a rookie. When Jim Harbaugharrived in 2011, he turned Smith into a good quarterback, and the signal-caller has continued to thrive with the Chiefs under Andy Reid. Just look at his numbers since '11: 38-15-1 record with a TD-to-INT ratio of 71:23.

Fran Tarkenton

Drafted: No. 29 overall (third round) by the Minnesota Vikings in 1961.

First start: Loss (21-7) to the Cowboys in Week 2 of 1961; 8 of 24 (33.3 percent) for 117 yards, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, three sacks and a passer rating of 15.5.

Tarkenton's first official start paled in comparison to what he accomplished in his true debut the week before, when he came off the bench to complete 74 percent of his passes for 250 yards and contribute five touchdowns (four in the air and one on the ground) to a 37-13 win over the Bears -- the first ever victory for the Vikings franchise. The rest of his season was a bit rockier, as he went 2-8 in 10 starts while posting a TD-to-INT ratio of 18:17 over 14 games. He had mixed results over the next few years before being traded to the Giants in 1967. This, he recently told me in a conversation on the phone, is when he turned his career around, installing the offense himself and calling the plays in New York as a 27-year-old quarterback; he credits himself as being the person most responsible for his ascension.

Steve Young

Drafted: No. 1 by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 1984 supplemental draft.

First start: Win (19-16, OT) over the Lions in Week 12 of 1985; 16 of 27 (59.3 percent) for 167 yards, zero touchdowns, zero interceptions, six sacks and a passer rating of 77.2; 10 carries for 60 yards.

Young wasn't exactly a rookie when he entered the NFL, having spent two years with the Los Angeles Express of the USFL before going to Tampa Bay. Perhaps Young became used to the lesser competition he saw in his first pro league, because he struggled with the Bucs, compiling a record of 3-16 as a starter while throwing nearly twice as many interceptions (21) as he did touchdown passes (11). Tampa Bay shipped him to San Francisco for a second- and a fourth-round pick in 1987 -- laying the groundwork for his career to take off into the stratosphere. 

Calling "BS" is an indictment of your limited powers of observation and reasoning.  :-) :-) :-) 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Calling "BS" is an indictment of your limited powers of observation and reasoning.  :-) :-) :-) 

On the other side there are innumerable  players who looked great in game1/year 1 and went on to stink - RGIII, Browning Nagle, Glenn Foley.  Just like scouts can't tell if a player will be successful from watching years of college tape, neither you nor anyone else can tell squat from one game. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

On the other side there are innumerable  players who looked great in game1/year 1 and went on to stink - RGIII, Browning Nagle, Glenn Foley.  Just like scouts can't tell if a player will be successful from watching years of college tape, neither you nor anyone else can tell squat from one game. Period. End of discussion.  

Here we have yet another individual running away with a self awarded participation trophy.  Well done, Ace.  You'll always be a winner in my book.  

6uohbsD.jpeg

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Here we have yet another individual running away with a self awarded participation trophy.  Well done, Ace.  You'll always be a winner in my book.  

6uohbsD.jpeg

This post makes no sense whatsoever.  It has absolutely nothing to do with my contention that you can't predict a QBs career success or failure based on his first game.  What that has to do with your participation trophy is baffling.  Good try though. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This post makes no sense whatsoever.  It has absolutely nothing to do with my contention that you can't predict a QBs career success or failure based on his first game.  What that has to do with your participation trophy is baffling.  Good try though. 

Part of your previous statement is true and part is not.  While you can't be sure if a given QB will be ultimately successful after one game... *I* CAN BE SURE if a given QB will NEVER pan out after only one game *IF* I see certain things that QB does or does not.  True, a rookie will be a rookie and learning the position takes time to master, but there are things you may see in a first outing that indicate your shiny new QB is *NEVER* going to make it.

If you end your comment with "END OF DISCUSSION", it is there that you have officially awarded yourself a participation trophy.  It's only the end of the discussion within your limitations.  Not mine. 

Ya dig ? 

11 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Want a list of HOF coaches who had rough first games/first seasons as well? It's pretty long.  Or do your powers of observation give you a crystal ball for that too. What a crock!

Another self awarded trophy for you.  Well done STUD 

49 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Part of your previous statement is true and part is not.  While you can't be sure if a given QB will be ultimately successful after one game... *I* CAN BE SURE if a given QB will NEVER pan out after only one game *IF* I see certain things that QB does or does not.  True, a rookie will be a rookie and learning the position takes time to master, but there are things you may see in a first outing that indicate your shiny new QB is *NEVER* going to make it.

If you end your comment with "END OF DISCUSSION", it is there that you have officially awarded yourself a participation trophy.  It's only the end of the discussion within your limitations.  Not mine. 

Ya dig ? 

Fair enough Carnac the Magnificent. I'll take out "end of discussion, " but your participation trophy point is still nonsensical as is your contention that you can tell if a QB will not pan out based on his first start.  There are just too many variables - play calling, protection, game script, surrounding talent, skill player performance, etc.  I still  claim you can't tell much of anything from the first start, let alone 3-4 starts, or the entire rookie season.  And years of performances and facts bear that out.  So proclaim away, and award yourself your "scout of the year" trophy in advance of the September 12 Carolina game.  I know I am on the edge of my seat for your decision on Wilson's career based on his first 25-30 passes.  

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Fair enough Carnac the Magnificent. I'll take out "end of discussion, " but your participation trophy point is still nonsensical as is your contention that you can tell if a QB will not pan out based on his first start.  There are just too many variables - play calling, protection, game script, surrounding talent, skill player performance, etc.  I still  claim you can't tell much of anything from the first start, let alone 3-4 starts, or the entire rookie season.  And years of performances and facts bear that out.  So proclaim away, and award yourself your "scout of the year" trophy in advance of the September 12 Carolina game.  I know I am on the edge of my seat for your decision on Wilson's career based on his first 25-30 passes.  

All good points.  Well taken. Never any need to take my ribbing seriously.  I'm just being a weeny.  I will have my crystal ball out for both Wilson and Trevor Lawrence's first starts and I will post my findings.   

On another note.  I was totally flamed that the Jets blew their shot at TL and had torched a bunch of my Jets stuff in my fire pit.  I'm not so sure now that the Jets settled for who will be the second best QB in the draft.  I *REALLY* like Wilson's delivery.  He may have the fastest release in the league.  He is also massively powerful below the waist and he puts that to good use.  From the highlights I have seen, he looks over the entire field very quickly before making a throw.  I see one and only one possible deficiency.  He has a relatively low release point.  That should not be much of a problem due to his mobility, field vision and amazingly fast throwing motion.  Compared to Wilson, Lawrence throws like a mummy. 

47 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

All good points.  Well taken. Never any need to take my ribbing seriously.  I'm just being a weeny.  I will have my crystal ball out for both Wilson and Trevor Lawrence's first starts and I will post my findings.   

On another note.  I was totally flamed that the Jets blew their shot at TL and had torched a bunch of my Jets stuff in my fire pit.  I'm not so sure now that the Jets settled for who will be the second best QB in the draft.  I *REALLY* like Wilson's delivery.  He may have the fastest release in the league.  He is also massively powerful below the waist and he puts that to good use.  From the highlights I have seen, he looks over the entire field very quickly before making a throw.  I see one and only one possible deficiency.  He has a relatively low release point.  That should not be much of a problem due to his mobility, field vision and amazingly fast throwing motion.  Compared to Wilson, Lawrence throws like a mummy. 

Jeff George had a prototypical delivery and a cannon for an arm and could not play the position.  Rivers throws like a shot putter and had a great career.  There are numerous variables that go into QB success and many of them are not physical and are not evident after one start or a season - or sometimes two seasons - intelligence and decision making, heart and courage, ability to deal with adversity, ability to perform under pressure (not pass rush pressure - game situation pressure), leadership etc.  

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Jeff George had a prototypical delivery and a cannon for an arm and could not play the position.  Rivers throws like a shot putter and had a great career.  There are numerous variables that go into QB success and many of them are not physical and are not evident after one start or a season - or sometimes two seasons - intelligence and decision making, heart and courage, ability to deal with adversity, ability to perform under pressure (not pass rush pressure - game situation pressure), leadership etc.  

Yep.  Agree fully. 

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

On the other side there are innumerable  players who looked great in game1/year 1 and went on to stink - RGIII, Browning Nagle, Glenn Foley.  Just like scouts can't tell if a player will be successful from watching years of college tape, neither you nor anyone else can tell squat from one game. Period. End of discussion.  

Bill Walsh said takes about a season and a half of starts to know for sure whether a QB has "it." That's pretty good authority, for me.

• Upvote 1

My real concern wasn't a choice but it would be that the team , as a whole,  just looks like they don't belong on the same field with the Panthers.

So many times in the past we've looked like a Pop Warner team  vs. a Pro team ... that would really give me reason to 2nd guess the idea that things have changed around here.

• Upvote 1