Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love the Running back room.  No studs but all very good players.  I think Perine will separate himself in training camp and will end up leading this team in rushing this year.

I don't know how you come to believe that Perine will separate himself in training camp?  Ty Johnson when given the opportunity last year was impressive, and Michael Carter coming into his rookie year has been much more highly touted than Perine ever was.  When Perine got the opportunity last year, he was what I would consider to be no better than average.  

Perine leading the team in rushing this year?  The only way that happens is if Ty Johnson and Michael Carter get injured, and if Perine stays healthy.  As far as yards per carry, no way does Perine lead the team, unless he has 5 carries for the year, and Perine has one carry for 35 yards.  

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was happy with the RBs before the draft. I didn’t need the Jets to take one. It does look like the one they grabbed is a perfect fit for the cut back runs this system utilizes, though. 
 
If I were running the show, Coleman would be my designated obvious passing down back. He catches well but more importantly; he’s very solid in pass protection. 
 
I expect a true RB by committee approach with the hot hand being fed the football but, if I had to guess on a leading rusher, I might go with Ty Johnson. Dude is big and fast and really looks like an excellent scheme fit, too. 
 
If the team hadn’t signed Coleman, Perine would‘ve been my third down back as the jack-of-all-trades. But they did, and the room really got crowded this offseason with Carter and Coleman as virtual locks. We’ll see if he’s up to the challenge and can stay healthy. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Perrine and Carter have potential to be a very nice dynamic combo.  They compliment each other really well and they're both young with fresh legs.  

I personally dont want to see Tevin Coleman touch the ball other then out of the backfield.  He's useless handing the ball of to and he's never healthy.  Lets the youngsters get the reps.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What could make a fan base actually excited about a RB room of Coleman, Perine, Johnson and Carter?

They’re not Frank Gore.

In all seriousness it’s about the scheme and I am intrigued to see Carter, but it’s tough to really be excited about this group. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't know how you come to believe that Perine will separate himself in training camp?  Ty Johnson when given the opportunity last year was impressive, and Michael Carter coming into his rookie year has been much more highly touted than Perine ever was.  When Perine got the opportunity last year, he was what I would consider to be no better than average.  

Perine leading the team in rushing this year?  The only way that happens is if Ty Johnson and Michael Carter get injured, and if Perine stays healthy.  As far as yards per carry, no way does Perine lead the team, unless he has 5 carries for the year, and Perine has one carry for 35 yards.  

 

 

 

 

Perine was never healthy last year.  Before he got hurt, he was the most explosive and exciting offensive player we had in camp.  He was the talk of camp last year.

Now healthy, I believe that player shows up and has a very good season for us.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think the running back position has the potential to be the biggest surprise or let down for us this season. LaFleur has talked about and it’s been obviously demonstrated for years that this offensive scheme is predicated on the run game…which opens up the big play passing threat. 

I feel good about our OL for the first time in a decade.

Tevin Coleman has been largely forgotten and underrated this off-season for good reason (injuries) but if this guy can stay healthy I think we will really have something here on offense.

Michael Carter obviously a rookie, but if as good as advertised will be the feature player in this offense.

Ty Johnson was criminally unused last year and easily our best back in 2020. Ty with a good chunk of touches + this scheme should be able to produce some quality reps for us.

I think Petrine is the odd man out, and he hasn’t really shown any reason to claim a spot to be honest. Not sure if he even gets picked up anywhere else and might be a practice squad guy this year.

All in all, I really hope we don’t become pass happy…as alluring as that might be with our stacked WR corps. The running game is the meat of this offense and I really think we have an opportunity here to have a strong run game.

If the run game falls flat this year then I worry that they will put too much pressure on Zack in Year 1. We’ll see….just my in between mini & training camp thoughts.

totally agree about the running game.  much has been made about the jets suddenly becoming a pass happy team and needing a te, etc but the best way to help zwill is give him a stout run game.  oh it may not have a name like ground and pound but it needs to be good enough to rely on for key yardage and ball control to hold onto leads.  the backs seem to be pretty good.  carter and johnson are pretty darn fast and will hopefully get some good yards if they break into the secondary.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

What could make a fan base actually excited about a RB room of Coleman, Perine, Johnson and Carter?

They’re not Frank Gore.

In all seriousness it’s about the scheme and I am intrigued to see Carter, but it’s tough to really be excited about this group. 

How can you not be excited about Michael Carter? We haven't had a young guy with that kind of talent in the backfield in quite a while

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

totally agree about the running game.  much has been made about the jets suddenly becoming a pass happy team and needing a te, etc but the best way to help zwill is give him a stout run game.  oh it may not have a name like ground and pound but it needs to be good enough to rely on for key yardage and ball control to hold onto leads.  the backs seem to be pretty good.  carter and johnson are pretty darn fast and will hopefully get some good yards if they break into the secondary.

I love the depth.  We have a bunch of B running backs.  If one or 2 get hurt, the dropoff is negligible.

Lots of teams may have an A back but if he gets hurt, there a C and D fill ins.  

We have lots of depth with a whole bunch of Bs.  Love it!

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

How can you not be excited about Michael Carter? We haven't had a young guy with that kind of talent in the backfield in quite a while

It’s not my fault you have reading comprehension issues. I said I was intrigued by Carter but the group as a whole isnt much to get excited over.. if anything they’re  a breath of fresh air after having  Gore crammed down our throats. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love the depth.  We have a bunch of B running backs.  If one or 2 get hurt, the dropoff is negligible.

Lots of teams may have an A back but if he gets hurt, there a C and D fill ins.  

We have lots of depth with a whole bunch of Bs.  Love it!

yep.  it seemed like daddy shanahan would just plug in journeyman back and the guy would make good yards.  if the jets do this they will win games and , just as important, control games where they have a lead.  when was the last time we saw a jets team make a game icing first down?  usually it seemed like it was always 3 and out giving the other team the last shot at winning.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Ty Johnson was criminally unused last year and easily our best back in 2020. Ty with a good chunk of touches + this scheme should be able to produce some quality reps for us.

 

Actually, Josh Adams may have been our best back last year with a 5.4 YPA average.  But he was, for some reason, completely in the shadow of Frank Gore and barely got any work.  He's back this year on a one year deal and 6'2" 225 lbs., I actually would like to see him get some more carries, particularly in short-yardage situations.  I certainly wouldn't write him off.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love the Running back room.  No studs but all very good players.  I think Perine will separate himself in training camp and will end up leading this team in rushing this year.

My best bet is Carter to lead the team in rushing. Either way this unit is gonna be racking up good yards per attempt and yac. All three between them are excellent scheme fits

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With the possible exception of Michael Carter (unknown, unproven rookie), the running backs on the roster are nothing special, and that's OK.  The running game will be defined by the quality of the offensive line, and the execution of the wide zone blocking scheme.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

With the possible exception of Michael Carter (unknown, unproven rookie), the running backs on the roster are nothing special, and that's OK.  The running game will be defined by the quality of the offensive line, and the execution of the wide zone blocking scheme.

Running game will probably have a rough start to beginning season anyway as teams stack box and dare a rookie QB to beat them. If Zach can do enough to keep defenses honest, the running game should improve as the year goes on.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Actually, Josh Adams may have been our best back last year with a 5.4 YPA average.  But he was, for some reason, completely in the shadow of Frank Gore and barely got any work.  He's back this year on a one year deal and 6'2" 225 lbs., I actually would like to see him get some more carries, particularly in short-yardage situations.  I certainly wouldn't write him off.

Good point, just not sure there will be enough for him with the rest of the group. Should be a good battle at camp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alka said:

I don't know how you come to believe that Perine will separate himself in training camp?  Ty Johnson when given the opportunity last year was impressive, and Michael Carter coming into his rookie year has been much more highly touted than Perine ever was.  When Perine got the opportunity last year, he was what I would consider to be no better than average.  

Perine leading the team in rushing this year?  The only way that happens is if Ty Johnson and Michael Carter get injured, and if Perine stays healthy.  As far as yards per carry, no way does Perine lead the team, unless he has 5 carries for the year, and Perine has one carry for 35 yards.  

 

TY came into camp having a season or two under his belt..... Perrine had no camp to speak of. Lets give the kid a full season with team lifting coach and full camp shall we?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Good point, just not sure there will be enough for him with the rest of the group. Should be a good battle at camp.

Could be but Adams is clearly the biggest in the bunch.  Not sure if there's an advantage to that in this system, but I agree that it's crowded and hopefully we will come out of camp with three dependable, productive options to cover every game situation.  Maybe a fourth on Specials.

 

Perrine: 5'11" 216 lbs.

Johnson: 5'10" 210 lbs.

Coleman: 6'1" 210 lbs.

Adams: 6'2" 225 lbs.

Carter: 5'10" 200 lbs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With a rookie QB and now 3 stud run blockers in Mekhi, AVT and Moses plus an offense heavy in play action I expect us to be a run first offense early in the season.  I think we have the talent to do it now with several quality backs.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could be but Adams is clearly the biggest in the bunch.  Not sure if there's an advantage to that in this system, but I agree that it's crowded and hopefully we will come out of camp with three dependable, productive options to cover every game situation.  Maybe a fourth on Specials.

 

Perrine: 5'11" 216 lbs.

Johnson: 5'10" 210 lbs.

Coleman: 6'1" 210 lbs.

Adams: 6'2" 225 lbs.

Carter: 5'10" 200 lbs.

Carter is 5'8 I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Could be but Adams is clearly the biggest in the bunch.  Not sure if there's an advantage to that in this system, but I agree that it's crowded and hopefully we will come out of camp with three dependable, productive options to cover every game situation.  Maybe a fourth on Specials.

 

Perrine: 5'11" 216 lbs.

Johnson: 5'10" 210 lbs.

Coleman: 6'1" 210 lbs.

Adams: 6'2" 225 lbs.

Carter: 5'10" 200 lbs.

Breakaway speed is important. Who’s the quick twitch breakaway guy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Breakaway speed is important. Who’s the quick twitch breakaway guy?

The good news is that Michael Carter has 4.30 speed.

The bad news?  It's the other Michael Carter (the CB).

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The good news is that Michael Carter has 4.30 speed.

The bad news?  It's the other Michael Carter (the CB).

Ty Johnson was clocked as fast as 4.26 at his Pro Day, he also did 27 reps

@ 225

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shuler82 said:

In all seriousness it’s about the scheme and I am intrigued to see Carter, but it’s tough to really be excited about this group. 

 

8 hours ago, Cp561 said:

How can you not be excited about Michael Carter? We haven't had a young guy with that kind of talent in the backfield in quite a while

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Perine was never healthy last year.  Before he got hurt, he was the most explosive and exciting offensive player we had in camp.  He was the talk of camp last year.

Now healthy, I believe that player shows up and has a very good season for us.

I don't recall Perine being the most explosive and exciting player in camp last year before he got hurt.

I really hope you're right, since an explosive Perine along with Carter and Ty Johnson would be very formidable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Ty Johnson was clocked as fast as 4.26 at his Pro Day, he also did 27 reps

@ 225

I don't think that is real.  Some people said 4.26, but I think most places had him at 4.4.  Still very fast, but not ridiculous.  Pro day reports are notoriously bad. I've seen his bench reps (strangely there is apparently a decent correlation to RB success) at 27 and 29.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2021 at 10:47 AM, Alka said:

I don't know how you come to believe that Perine will separate himself in training camp?  Ty Johnson when given the opportunity last year was impressive, and Michael Carter coming into his rookie year has been much more highly touted than Perine ever was.  When Perine got the opportunity last year, he was what I would consider to be no better than average.  

Perine leading the team in rushing this year?  The only way that happens is if Ty Johnson and Michael Carter get injured, and if Perine stays healthy.  As far as yards per carry, no way does Perine lead the team, unless he has 5 carries for the year, and Perine has one carry for 35 yards.  

 

 

 

 

Or "love" this RB room... 🤨

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...