Darnold lands at #19 on Chris Simms top-40 QB list

Just now, TokyoJetsFan said:

Josh Allen #2?  I mean he had a great year, but need to show he can do it again I would think.  Plus he was lucky with dropped INTs...I know all QBs have them, but 21  is a lot

Mahomes set an NFL record for dropped INT’s last season.

The good ones take a lot of risk.

https://fansided.com/2020/12/31/patrick-mahomes-dropped-interceptions/

13 minutes ago, Facts said:

Mahomes set an NFL record for dropped INT’s last season.

The good ones take a lot of risk.

https://fansided.com/2020/12/31/patrick-mahomes-dropped-interceptions/

By February Allen had more than Mahomes, the Mahomes total was through Dec.

Good ones dont necessarily take more risks.  Its always said that they protect the ball in fact.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Josh Allen #2?  I mean he had a great year, but need to show he can do it again I would think.  Plus he was lucky with dropped INTs...I know all QBs have them, but 21  is a lot

Mahomes had like 19. I know we want to hate Allen, but trying to force stats is the same as the people who tried to justify Darnold was great and all his interceptions didn't really count and weren't his fault. 

If you want something more real to hang your hat on...look at Allen's fumbles (lost and not lost). 

As far as draft analysts go, I actually kind of like Sims more than most because he's been money on a number of his big QB predictions over the past few years. Combine that with the fact that he was one of the few to rank Wilson ahead of Lawrence this year, I kinda like the guy...

That being said, I really can't follow what he's doing with this list. Allen @ 2? (Just for starters). What is he basing these rankings on? If your listing QBs by potential and factoring in age, maybe. If you're listing who you would pick today to be your QB for the next 10 years, maybe. MAYBE  I could see the argument behind some of this list. But if you're listing the QBs right now.. Who you want starting for you in the Superbowl today... No way . 

Zach being that high without ever throwing a pass in the NFL? Lol I guess that's a compliment. If you're really ranking the top QBs, or starters for all 32 teams, this year's rookies should automatically be listed last by default. If you're ranking current top QBs in the NFL as of today, if you haven't taken an NFL snap you have no business being ranked higher than anyone thats already started in the NFL. No matter how poorly they've played. Again, unless you're making a list based on pure potential for the future, that changes things. 

27 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Not many top qbs anymore 

after the top 5 it’s a crap shoot

I think Stafford could move up this season in his new situation.  Top-5.

If SD has solved their OL problems, Herbert could be this year's Allen.  Maybe just outside the top-5 but maybe just in.

Allen was very good last year but not Rodgers-good.  That ranking is probably influenced heavily by the relative situations and age.  I would not bet against Rodgers in any way right now.  If he plays, he'll play angry, and...well...opposing teams won't like him when he's angry.  Allen has to do it again.  Basically he and Herbert are in the same spot to me, and Herbert did it in much rougher conditions in his rookie year.

I think the NYG will be drafting a QB next April.  I just don't see Jones as anything but a journeyman.  Basically a younger Case Keenum.  Just a feeling.  He could prove me wrong.

I am fully open to Justin Fields being a really good QB in CHI and moving way up to the middle of this list by season's end if he gets a shot.  Not expecting the same from Lance yet, but who knows.

I think Mac Jones is a complete mirage, who rode four 1st round WRs to a mid-1st round draft pick.  Since he's in NE, I hope I'm right.

• Upvote 2

I don’t know why people get so triggered by ranking lists, especially ones from media pundits looking for attention.  If his last name wasn’t Simms he probably goes to a D3 college and never sniffs the NFL.  His lists are as meaningful as any posters around here are.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

100% yes. I didn't realize that. It means he benefitted from a tremendous amount of lucky breaks that's unlikely to repeat. 

I remember the same stat - with similarly high numbers - from Darnold & Fitzpatrick. As much as people correctly said, "Aw that doesn't count," it's a bit of a head-in-the-sand view to think that insane level of luck is likely to repeat itself annually. 

That Winston had 21 dropped interceptions is the craziest of all these guys. 30 interceptions caught along with another 21 picks were dropped? So he threw 51 interception-worthy passes in one season, with two "#1" type WRs on the field, lol. Oh yeah, plus another dozen fumbles. Oh, mercy! *clutches pearls* 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I am fully open to Justin Fields being a really good QB in CHI and moving way up to the middle of this list by season's end if he gets shot.  Not expecting the same from Lance yet, but who knows.

In Chicago that's a possibility.. :eek:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I somehow admire the urge to quantify everything and make lists of all sorts. Case Keenum is #40 and Mitch Trubisky is not even in there. Kellen Mond is the 37th best QB in the NFL. 

Ok then…

My name is Mitchell David Trubisky and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I somehow admire the urge to quantify everything and make lists of all sorts. Case Keenum is #40 and Mitch Trubisky is not even in there. Kellen Mond is the 37th best QB in the NFL. 

Ok then…

Kellen Mond > Trey Lance

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I like Chris Simms for his draft analysis, but there are 0 universes out there where Josh Allen is better than Aaron Rodgers right now.

Putting Allen ahead of Rodgers is the same as putting Wilson ahead of Lawrence. It attracts attention and, if he’s right, he looks like a genius. 

Definitely get a kick out of this list. Everybody on board with Mini Simms when he had Zach as the top college QB, but not so much when Allen is his top pro, and he has Darnold ranked ahead of fawning fan faves like Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, Garoppolo, and, unfortunately, Zach, too. 

• Post of the Week 2

18 minutes ago, slats said:

P

Definitely get a kick out of this list. Everybody on board with Mini Simms when he had Zach as the top college QB, but not so much when Allen is his top pro, and he has Darnold ranked ahead of fawning fan faves like Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, Garoppolo, and, unfortunately, Zach, too. 

Feels like ranking Zach above Trevor was the set up and this is the punchline for jets fans lol

20 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I’m fine to admit it, josh allen is fkn good.  I was wrong on him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1