Jags coach Urban Meyer on what Tim Tebow needs to do to make the team

People forget that Urban Myer has won everywhere -- even when he didn't have the best players. He took over a 2-9 Bowling Green and went 8-3 and 9-3. Then he took over a 5-6 Utah team and went 10-2 and 12-0. The guy can coach. Don't lump him with the "recruiter" coaches who win by convincing the best players to come to their school. Myer also posted a 12-3 record in the Bowl/BCS playoff games.

The bottom line is that Urban Myer can coach. I would not bet against his success in the NFL. He's a thinking man who is not afraid to change to adopt to his circumstances. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

People forget that Urban Myer has won everywhere -- even when he didn't have the best players. He took over a 2-9 Bowling Green and went 8-3 and 9-3. Then he took over a 5-6 Utah team and went 10-2 and 12-0. The guy can coach. Don't lump him with the "recruiter" coaches who win by convincing the best players to come to their school. Myer also posted a 12-3 record in the Bowl/BCS playoff games.

The bottom line is that Urban Myer can coach. I would not bet against his success in the NFL. He's a thinking man who is not afraid to change to adopt to his circumstances. 

There have been great college coaches that fail in the NFL the crap that works with college kids don't always work with young millionaires..

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Urban Meyer is an all time great college coach that has won at every stop and without always having an elite recruiting advantage (like Saban). Still, it's fair to question whether his success will translate to the NFL. He isn't coaching 18 year olds, he can't just recruit certain players, and he isn't spending half his season playing games where his team is a 30pt fave. 

So while I agree that people are foolish to laugh at him before he has coached 1 NFL game, I am not convinced his success will translate to the NFL based on how many college coaches have flopped in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

There have been great college coaches that fail in the NFL the crap that works with college kids don't always work with young millionaires..

Agree. But I don't think Myer is built that way. He is more like Dick Vermeil than Nick Saban in that he continues to grow and develop, rather than simply believe he has all of the answers. IMO he waited to take a pro job because he was trying to better understand the differences and how he can be successful as a pro coach.   Just my two cents. Time will tell, .. it always does.

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Urban is a polarizing coach (iow i'm not saying whether he'll succeed or not)  - but a lot of low hanging fruit/ammunition for this argument are coaches who in hindsight succeeded by way of gimmick offenses and talent leveraging in ways would never work in the NFL. 

• Chip Kelly
  • Bobby Petrino
  • Steve Spurrier etc

But then there's cases of Pete Carrol, Harbaugh, and some others who've enjoyed success.. i mean lets be honest. 4/5 of coaches period don't survive long. Hard to make a strong statistical correlation 

• Upvote 1

The Jaguars were fined $200,000, with Meyer getting fined an additional $100,000, for OTA violations.  Those were each the largest fines of the league this season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-cowboys-49ers-jaguars-for-ota-violations

NFL fines Jaguars, Cowboys, 49ers for OTA violations

Published: Jul 01, 2021 at 04:35 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

The spring OTAs period saw three teams violate rules set forth by the league's collective bargaining agreement. The NFL responded with fines for the trio of clubs and their head coaches Thursday.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers were each fined for offseason workout violations, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported. Jacksonville drew the largest fine at $200,000, while San Francisco and Dallas were each fined $100,000.

Accordingly, new Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer was docked $100,000 for violations, while Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy and 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan each received $50,000 fines.

All three teams will also have to forfeit an undisclosed amount of OTA days in 2022, Garafolo added.

Specifics of the violations are unknown, though they typically center on intensity of practice sessions and resulting contact. Players are in shorts, jerseys and helmets during these sessions, meaning contact is expected to be minimal if not nonexistent.

Two 49ers were injured during OTAs: offensive lineman Justin Skule and defensive back Tarvarius Moore. Each suffered injuries that will likely keep them out for the 2021 season.

23 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

His success is undeniable but like most successful college coaches his offense is primarily built on being able to take advantage of player mismatches and coaching mistakes, both of which are far less common in the NFL. Kinda hard to say his teams at Florida and Ohio State weren't stacked with talent just by looking at how many had decent careers in the NFL--aside from his quarterbacks. Maybe Meyer will be the coach to figure out how to transform a college spread system into a high flying pro system but I will believe it when I see it.