OT: Things I miss about NY

52 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

This part of the season sucks so hard, 4 more weeks of nothing and then we finally get something to folllow.

Was just thinking that I have actually lived in San Diego for 33 years now but I still miss some things in NY: Of course it has been so long ( I havent even been back since 2014) that maybe these things are no longer true

1. The people. California is not as friendly a place as NY. You rarely know your neighbors. People get easily offended. Everyone is very PC. I miss the warmth of NYers, couple with their in you face honesty and bluntness. I miss the fact that you could get in a literal shouting match with a family member or friend and then 10 mins later go get some pizza like it never happened.

2. Neighborhoods There was a feeling of family in the neighborhood you lived in. You knew all your neighbors, were supported by your neighbors and you were proud and even protective of your neighborhood (Rosedale for me) 

In California for the most part you just have a place to live. Not universally true but the neighborhoods that exist sort of like I remember NY are not many in number and mostly wealthier. Beach towns are just a different thing altogether.

3. Seasons (sort of) San Diego is basically the same 350 days a year. I do miss leaves turning, Christmas lights reflecting off of snow. Early April when the golf courses finally thawed out and had grass. Still I do not miss chipping ice or shoveling snow in even the tiniest bit

4. Food Pizza Just sort of sucks. There are a couple places now that have sort of NY pizza but not really. It's the water actually many pizzerias here use the exact recipes from NY but they just don't  really work. Bread sucks. I miss Veal Parmigiana heros. Miss White Castle though Vegas has them now so not as much as it once was

5. Going to Jets and Mets games. Actually only ever went to 2 Jets game but probably 100 Mets games. I don't even follow baseball anymore. I hear the Mets actually have a pretty good pitcher now. 

6. Miss the smell of the Atlantic Ocean. I know, weird but the Pacific Ocean is just different. And it smells different. In fact I miss the smell of NY so many smells

7/ Manhattan Nothing like that here in California.

So many other things. Not sure if anyone cares or this will be insta locked. Was just thinking of my parents (long gone) and wrote this

I've lived outside of NY/NJ area for most of my adult life and spent 10 of the last 13 years in England.  When people ask me what I miss about the US, as somebody did just a couple days ago, I always say "watching football with my buddies and NY pizza".  

I do love getting back to NYC once every year or so to hang out with a couple of buddies I've known since I was 11.  Looking forward to the next time.

As far as living in California...I have no idea how you do it.  Quite the exodus going on there at the moment.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

This part of the season sucks so hard, 4 more weeks of nothing and then we finally get something to folllow.

Was just thinking that I have actually lived in San Diego for 33 years now but I still miss some things in NY: Of course it has been so long ( I havent even been back since 2014) that maybe these things are no longer true

1. The people. California is not as friendly a place as NY. You rarely know your neighbors. People get easily offended. Everyone is very PC. I miss the warmth of NYers, couple with their in you face honesty and bluntness. I miss the fact that you could get in a literal shouting match with a family member or friend and then 10 mins later go get some pizza like it never happened.

2. Neighborhoods There was a feeling of family in the neighborhood you lived in. You knew all your neighbors, were supported by your neighbors and you were proud and even protective of your neighborhood (Rosedale for me) 

In California for the most part you just have a place to live. Not universally true but the neighborhoods that exist sort of like I remember NY are not many in number and mostly wealthier. Beach towns are just a different thing altogether.

3. Seasons (sort of) San Diego is basically the same 350 days a year. I do miss leaves turning, Christmas lights reflecting off of snow. Early April when the golf courses finally thawed out and had grass. Still I do not miss chipping ice or shoveling snow in even the tiniest bit

4. Food Pizza Just sort of sucks. There are a couple places now that have sort of NY pizza but not really. It's the water actually many pizzerias here use the exact recipes from NY but they just don't  really work. Bread sucks. I miss Veal Parmigiana heros. Miss White Castle though Vegas has them now so not as much as it once was

5. Going to Jets and Mets games. Actually only ever went to 2 Jets game but probably 100 Mets games. I don't even follow baseball anymore. I hear the Mets actually have a pretty good pitcher now. 

6. Miss the smell of the Atlantic Ocean. I know, weird but the Pacific Ocean is just different. And it smells different. In fact I miss the smell of NY so many smells

7/ Manhattan Nothing like that here in California.

So many other things. Not sure if anyone cares or this will be insta locked. Was just thinking of my parents (long gone) and wrote this

I live in San Diego as well and agree with everything you said.  I keep trying supposed NY pizza and bagel places here, but meh.  Like everyone says, its the water that makes the difference. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I live in San Diego as well and agree with everything you said.  I keep trying supposed NY pizza and bagel places here, but meh.  Like everyone says, its the water that makes the difference. 

A few years back I found a place in Dublin that has the closest thing to NY pizza I've ever had outside the US.  I've literally made excuses to fly to Dublin with the pizza being the real catalyst behind the trip.

Was literally looking at flights yesterday to go over for a fix.  Found a round trip for $115 so thinking about it.

The original home of the 20" Pizza - DiFontaine's Pizzeria (difontainespizzeria.ie)

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, AFJF said:

A few years back I found a place in Dublin that has the closest thing to NY pizza I've ever had outside the US.  I've literally made excuses to fly to Dublin with the pizza being the real catalyst behind the trip.

Was literally looking at flights yesterday to go over for a fix.  Found a round trip for $115 so thinking about it.

The original home of the 20" Pizza - DiFontaine's Pizzeria (difontainespizzeria.ie)

NY pizza, Dublin pubs, and Irish lasses with those great accents...I'm going with you!!

• Upvote 3

Had 5 wonderful years in Manhattan, started out bartending for a year waiting to see if I got into med school and then tears of joy getting to stay for it in the city.  My beautiful girlfriend turning heads at the bars, then fiancé then wife and now a litter of kids by the jersey shore.  I miss those streets, the people, the food; that vibe that you were in the center of the world.

I often look West as the paradise lost. The plan was to join you out there.  But then Dad left and mom got sick and plans changed and had to figure out what to do with my life on the east coast.  Roots grew and here I am.  Without all that drama I’d never have this wife, this career, this home, nor my NYC years. The parallel dimensions spin off to infinity.

It’s nice to hear good things about the place you live and wanted to leave. A reminder of the good.  But yeah, I fkn hate the ice too.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

All valid points ... i grew up in NJ but always felt like NY , Went to school in NY , moved to Redondo Beach for 6 years before returning back to NY.

I agree with everything you wrote - with one major caveat.

Dont fool yourself .... the 'karenized woke' PC Police are everywhere now .... and NYC is a central hive these days. Gone are the days of frankness and in your face truths. People mistook the abrupt cut to the chase candor of NYers as rude, inconsiderate or at worst insensitive. When in reality it was just clean communication for the sake of efficiency and clarity in making their point. 

Community ... you are spot on here ... LA was spread out loneliness in a weird way. People seemed nice and healthy , but the lack of true community was strange and a bit sad. I see the neighborhoods you described so well dissapearing more and more as kids isolate themselves with video games and adults are filling their time mroe and more with work and the internet. 

Its becoming much more about your own personal effort to make connections and even force them a bit by being the guy that is always inviting friends over.

--- good post --- 

I have to say ... I miss the LA Weather though ?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

What I miss I believe is no longer there.  It has changed except now traffic is worse, taxes are ridiculous, corruption.   NYC isn’t even safe anymore. 

I absolutely LOVE living in Charlotte.  But as a kid, in Manhattan in summers and LI for school was a great experience.  NOW, NYC is full of transplants, the neighborhoods are not the same.  I lived in Yorkville.  The apartment was rent controlled.  NOW, those apartments are 4K a month and up.  

In NY people complain about taxes etc… here, nobody leaves   

Lived in Raleigh for 5 years ... Charlotte is a cute, clean little city. People are genuinely nice.  But one thing i can remember clearly ... you have to dial your speed clock down by a factor of 75% to enjoy it.  Took me a full year not to get aggravated waiting 15 minutes for my coffee. Raleigh has turned into a NY suburb .. totally different than 25 years ago ... not as laid back.

Oh yeah .. and while you may be successfull down there and even become part of the gonverment some day ... you will NEVER be part of the 'old blue money aristocracy' ... that is a closed club that has not been accepting new members since the civil war.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

Spent 8 years in Scottsdale and just moved back to CT.   One of the major reasons I left was the West is burning and running out of water.   The population growth is simply unsustainable.   SD is beautiful.  The last time I went to Coronado the beach was covered in algae and dogs were sh*tting on the beach.  

I love a lot about the West but a lot of the beautiful natural areas are dying off or being over run by people.   I'm so happy to be back East.  The LI sound is beautiful.   There's Bald Eagles, osprey and comorants everywhere.  Yellow and red fox running around and bears are coming back.   I appreciate the rain, the green, the seasons. 

CA is probably the most beautiful state in the Country.  Close to 40 million people is ridiculous.   Phoenix is growing like a weed,  so is Idaho, Oregon and Washington.   

New Yorkers are diverse and in your face but it's real.  After 5 years of everyone saying hello and waving to me out West I missed getting the bird and a good F off.   It keeps you sharp. 

Have a nice day. :)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Dont fool yourself .... the 'karenized woke' PC Police are everywhere now .... and NYC is a central hive these days. Gone are the days of frankness and in your face truths. People mistook the abrupt cut to the chase candor of NYers as rude, inconsiderate or at worst insensitive. When in reality it was just clean communication for the sake of efficiency and clarity in making their point. 

Amen, to the above.

I miss a big FAT nothing about the northeast other than the food, my boat I used to own on the Jersey shore, and the friends I still have that live there.

As far as NC, it's friendly, people wave and say hello, it's slow and relaxed, and I don't have road rage anymore lol... I do have to agree with you on Raleigh, but I don't go there often, and try and stay away from Cary as well. I live south of Chapel Hill and it's starting to grow rapidly. Once my wife retires, I don't envision us staying there, as I need to get closer to the water (ocean)... Time for my NEW boat lol...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Never lived in NY but haven't live in US for 7 years so I'll go broader. Things I miss about US:

1. Friends/family obviously

2. Being able to watch sports in their normal timezone. Seems minor but it's more annoying than you think. Only getting 2 hours of sleep after watching Sunday/Monday night football not really an option most weeks.

3. Speaking English. This is not one of those "everyone should speak 'Merican!" comments. I just miss speaking my mother tongue in daily interactions. Casual chats with shopkeepers, taxi drivers, etc. Never having to find the right words, or have to explain something in a roundabout way because I don't know the foreign word for "hex wrench."

4. TV. Thank God for streaming but TV just ain't the same. 

5. American working attitude. Don't want to over-generalize but Americans have a "git 'er done" attitude at work. In Europe people can -- and will -- ask you to show them on their job description where it says they should do a task. It's totally normal, not meant in a mean way, but I miss the "all hands on deck" approach in the US.

6. Money focus in US. Look Europe has a great quality of life balance. But people feel it's an entitlement. They don't have to make choices -- do my job competently but don't go above and beyond or work my ass off and go for a bonus/promotion? In US it's largely a "eat what you kill" culture. You want to kick ass and take names at work? You'll eventually get rewarded. You want to "work to live" rather than "live to work?" Don't expect your promotions and salaries to keep up with the gunners. It's a trade-off, people make their own choice, and then usually accept the consequences. 

7. Just knowing how stuff works. Dealing with government agencies, insurance companies, banks, etc. Takes like 100% more time and mental energy here even though all these dudes speak English well.

8. Decent Mexican food! As an upside, I've been forced to learn how to cook Mexican. Cultural appropriator!!

9. Cheap, light beer. What can I say I'm not a connoisseur. 

10. Movie theaters. Movie theaters are awesome in the US compared to Europe. Every movie I've seen in Europe is in what would be a cramped art-house theater in the US. No massive, stadium seating, jumbotrons like in US (that I've seen, anyway). Of course, no one talks or is on their cellphone during the movie here. Tradeoffs.

Anyway, that's what I thought of off the top of my head. Nice thread idea.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Pizza, bagels, concerts and venues (all bands pass through ny), castkill mts trips, li sound in the summer, friends and thats it.

you move. You make new friends. You still talk to old ones. You deal with subpar pizza and no bagels. But you gain a slew of other cool and interesting things.

Moving every 20 years is a must!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Never lived in NY but haven't live in US for 7 years so I'll go broader. Things I miss about US:

1. Friends/family obviously

2. Being able to watch sports in their normal timezone. Seems minor but it's more annoying that you think. Only getting 2 hours of sleep after watching Sunday/Monday night football not really an option most weeks.

3. Speaking English. This is not one of those "everyone should speak 'Merican!" comments. I just miss speaking my mother tongue in daily interactions. Casual chats with shopkeepers, taxi drivers, etc. Never having to find the right words, or have to explain something in a roundabout way because I don't know the foreign word for "hex wrench."

4. TV. Thank God for streaming but TV just ain't the same. 

5. American working attitude. Don't want to over-generalize but Americans have a "git 'er done" attitude at work. In other parts of the world people can -- and will -- ask you to show them on their job description where it says they should do a task. It's totally normal, not meant in a mean way, but I miss the "all hands on deck" approach in the US.

6. Money focus in US. Look Europe has a great quality of life balance. But people feel it's an entitlement. They don't have to make choices -- do my job competently but don't go above and beyond or work my ass off and go for a bonus/promotion? In US it's largely a "eat what you kill" culture. You want to kick ass and take names at work? You'll eventually get rewarded. You want to work to live rather not live to work? Don't expect your promotions and salaries to keep up with the gunners. It's a trade-off, people make their own choice, and then usually accept the consequences. 

7. Just knowing how stuff works. Dealing with government agencies, insurance companies, banks, etc. Takes like 100% more time and mental energy here even though all these dudes speak English well.

8. Decent Mexican food! As an upside, I've been forced to learn how to cook Mexican. Cultural appropriator!!

9. Cheap, light beer. What can I say I'm not a connoisseur. 

10. Movie theaters. Movie theaters are awesome in the US compared to Europe. Every movie I've seen in Europe is in what would be a cramped art-house theater in the US. No massive, stadium seating, jumbotrons like in US (that I've seen, anyway). Of course, no one talks or is on their cellphone during the movies here. Tradeoffs.

Anyway, that's what I thought of off the top of my head. Nice thread idea.

Agree 100% with your spot on assessment of the european experience. Yes their quality of life is fine. Some things they have much better, others not so much but Americans work like dogs and are competitive and have a desire to achieve more. Europeans seem to accept their lot in life for the most part and simply dont hustle. Some if them like to brag about how great x and y is but those are usually the bitter ones than are jealous.

Also, we dont realize how well our country is run. Yes we have issues but for the most part any document you need, any inquiry, bills to be paid, issues with real estate... you name it.... its super fast, clear and done in the US. In other parts of the world you should see the sad sacks that work at the dmv or county facilities. Everything is a problem. Talk to 3 different officials and you will get 3 different answers.

seriously, you guys that havent lived elsewhere trust me the dmv lady that registered your boat and processed your drivers license does NOT exist in most other countries 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

100% truth.

I stop in there everytime I'm down in Dublin. 

• Upvote 1

Yea. Been to San Diego and the pizza there sucks. It was hard for me to grapple with how bad it was. Unbelievable. I love vacationing there though.

I live in the Austin metro area. We have great food. So not missing anything on that front.

What I miss is going to the barbershop. We have barbershops here but they don’t know what they’re doing. In NY, you can walk into any barbershop and expect a skilled practitioner.

We’ve learn to care for our own hair. My wife cuts my hair and I cut my son’s hair.

Ill be heading back in a couple of weeks. Have only been back once in the last 6 years. Aside from the barbershops, we love Central Texas.

8 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

The wife and I are about to leave the NYC area after living here our whole lives. This thread is making me feel things.

It’s tough at first but after a year it goes away. Where are you moving to?

Just now, GreenFish said:

Yea. Been to San Diego and the pizza there sucks. It was hard for me to grapple with how bad it was. Unbelievable. I love vacationing there.

I live in Austin. We have great food. So not missing anything on that front.

Whet I miss is going to the barbershop. We have barbershops here but they don’t know what they’re doing. In NY, you can walk into any barbershop and expect a skilled practitioner.

We’ve learned to care for our own hair. My wife cuts my hair and I cut my son’s hair.

Ill be heading back in a couple of weeks. Have only been back once in the last 6 years. Aside from the barbershops, we love Austin.

Funny I found most of the barbershops in Manhattan as ehh. Both of the guys I’ve had in Florida have been much better and less expensive.

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Funny I found most of the barbershops in Manhattan as ehh. Both of the guys I’ve had in Florida have been much better and less expensive.

Lucky.
We’ve gotten pretty good and save a lot of money in the process. But can’t really replace the barbershop experience and all the crap guys argue about. I’ve always found it to be a good experience.

This is just nitpicking though. We love it here. We couldn’t take the cold weather any more. We’re out and about pretty much all year around. We don’t have the diversity of food, but the beef in general, Tex-Mex and Cajun food is amazing.

• Upvote 1

For me it is the people, the neighborhoods and the food.  It is really funny...two of the large pizza franchises have their roots here in Michigan.  Yet, the first thing we notice when we return home is home great the pizza is and the food, in general.

One last item but it may be just my age showing - neighborhood bar and grills.

5 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

For me it is the people, the neighborhoods and the food.  It is really funny...two of the large pizza franchises have their roots here in Michigan.  Yet, the first thing we notice when we return home is home great the pizza is and the food, in general.

One last item but it may be just my age showing - neighborhood bar and grills.

Who needs the carbs anyways??

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Lived in Raleigh for 5 years ... Charlotte is a cute, clean little city. People are genuinely nice.  But one thing i can remember clearly ... you have to dial your speed clock down by a factor of 75% to enjoy it.  Took me a full year not to get aggravated waiting 15 minutes for my coffee. Raleigh has turned into a NY suburb .. totally different than 25 years ago ... not as laid back.

Oh yeah .. and while you may be successfull down there and even become part of the gonverment some day ... you will NEVER be part of the 'old blue money aristocracy' ... that is a closed club that has not been accepting new members since the civil war.

Yes in 1995.  NOW?  It is a large sprawling city full of transplants.  We have traffic , crime like a mini NYC.  There are almost no natives here.  I find it fast paced enough and I have been fully integrated.  What you described was true to about 2005.  I have TONS of southern clients who like and accept me.  

6 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Been to San Diego many times to attend various events for my wife’s Uncle ( some of you San Diegoans)  may have heard of Father Joe Carroll) and love it but for the reasons the OP stated just can’t seem to pull the trigger and move. For all the warts of NYC  expensive cost of living ice and snow in the winter we are NYC born and bred and 99% certain we will never leave as it is to us the best place to live 

• Sympathy 1