OT: Things I miss about NY

On 7/2/2021 at 1:06 AM, johnnysd said:

This part of the season sucks so hard, 4 more weeks of nothing and then we finally get something to folllow.

Was just thinking that I have actually lived in San Diego for 33 years now but I still miss some things in NY: Of course it has been so long ( I havent even been back since 2014) that maybe these things are no longer true

1. The people. California is not as friendly a place as NY. You rarely know your neighbors. People get easily offended. Everyone is very PC. I miss the warmth of NYers, couple with their in you face honesty and bluntness. I miss the fact that you could get in a literal shouting match with a family member or friend and then 10 mins later go get some pizza like it never happened.

2. Neighborhoods There was a feeling of family in the neighborhood you lived in. You knew all your neighbors, were supported by your neighbors and you were proud and even protective of your neighborhood (Rosedale for me) 

In California for the most part you just have a place to live. Not universally true but the neighborhoods that exist sort of like I remember NY are not many in number and mostly wealthier. Beach towns are just a different thing altogether.

3. Seasons (sort of) San Diego is basically the same 350 days a year. I do miss leaves turning, Christmas lights reflecting off of snow. Early April when the golf courses finally thawed out and had grass. Still I do not miss chipping ice or shoveling snow in even the tiniest bit

4. Food Pizza Just sort of sucks. There are a couple places now that have sort of NY pizza but not really. It's the water actually many pizzerias here use the exact recipes from NY but they just don't  really work. Bread sucks. I miss Veal Parmigiana heros. Miss White Castle though Vegas has them now so not as much as it once was

5. Going to Jets and Mets games. Actually only ever went to 2 Jets game but probably 100 Mets games. I don't even follow baseball anymore. I hear the Mets actually have a pretty good pitcher now. 

6. Miss the smell of the Atlantic Ocean. I know, weird but the Pacific Ocean is just different. And it smells different. In fact I miss the smell of NY so many smells

7/ Manhattan Nothing like that here in California.

So many other things. Not sure if anyone cares or this will be insta locked. Was just thinking of my parents (long gone) and wrote this

1. NY is like Californias little brother. whatever Cali does NY follows not long after. if you thought PC was bad in NY, Cali invented it.

2. cant say anything nice about this but to say its not like you remember.

3. i do love seasons. thats why when i retire i will move to somewhere that gets snow. it would be nice once to sit home during a snow storm instead of having to drive in one to go to work.

4.Pizza is the best thing left in NY. and thats changing too. i always remember a Pie being bigger. but most places have changed. i thought they used to be 16 inches but now that 16 inch seams small. you got to ask for a 18 inch to get a real size pie and most places dont offer it. 

5. the Mets have the BEST pitcher in baseball. and more importantly they have a new owner who will actually spend money. 

6. NY smells like pot now. seriously. they legalized it and you smell it everywhere.

yeah 33 years ago NY was a much better place. i was a teenager back then. dont think we will ever get back to that NY again.

On 7/2/2021 at 2:12 AM, Arsis said:

Bagels, bread, bakeries, Italian ingredients in general. Pizza. Its been a year outside NYC and its trash out here

Exactly.  I left lower Westchester for a couple years to live in Miami and the food experience was so much worse than I expected, not because SoFla food is bad but because the comfort foods I grew up with (Italian delis, authentic pizza, bagel shops, etc.) are such a rarity down there.

Lack of seasonal change and higher crime rate (you get what you pay for with state income taxes) were other deal breakers for me.  I’m happily back in Westchester now.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Im gonna let you guys considering fl move in on a secret: Tampa sucks, but across the bridge in st pete pinellas county.... oh man the best spot in fl hands down shhhhh

I mean across the bridge.  Dunedin, Palm Harbor etc.  That’s where I hang when I’m there.  

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I will.  We bought a place on Seabrook Island.  I imagine I’ll be coming up to Clemson for a bunch of football games, it’s an easy ride from Clemson to Charlotte.  

I have clients with condos there.  I just bought a place at Carolina Beach. trying to spend about a week a month there.   

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I’m averaging a move every 10 or so years.

Mass - 0 to about 10 yo

NY - 10 to around 22 yo

NJ - 22 to 32 yo

TX - 32 year old to present

Once we are empty nesters, we’ll likely move to Colorado, but that’s TBD. We may just follow our kids. Or may just leave the US all together.

Its fun and exciting to move to a new place

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fltflo said:

We have two excellent Italian deli’s/ bakeries here in Fort Myers. I can also order my Juniors cheesecake online and delivered the next day. Occasionally Costco carries them as well. There is also a pizza chain here called Jet’s while it certainly not a Classic Ny pie, they make a pan”
Sicilian” pie that is pretty damn good.
What I do miss is Brooklyn Heights and the Promenade, Early Sunday morning walks in the city when it quite and calm. Rides on the Staten Island Ferry and a good dirty water dog and kinish.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

My GF has a rent stabilized apartment in Brooklyn Heights. That’s my base of operations when I make my triumphant returns. Fantastic neighborhood and every train is within a tenth of a mile if we want to go anywhere else. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I've seen some crazy sh*t on the internet over the years, but the words "I miss Atlantic City" might take the cake. And I lived through the Two Girls One Cup years. 

Don't sleep on AC.  It's going through a bit of a resurgence now.

Imo, mainly due to the Hard Rock.  It's definitely a fun getaway for a few days...

https://www.gettysburgtimes.com/news/business/article_19edf15f-5283-5a18-b370-2c489ffc0427.html

24 minutes ago, slats said:

My GF has a rent stabilized apartment in Brooklyn Heights. That’s my base of operations when I make my triumphant returns. Fantastic neighborhood and every train is within a tenth of a mile if we want to go anywhere else. 

I banged some chick I met at a party there back in the late 70s.  Oh wait, she became my wife.  

Fantastic neighborhood back then.  Even if you didn't get lucky with some cute babe.

Nyc is insane

just think about owning a car.  

You have to get it inspected by the state every few years.  

You want to cross a bridge? 20 bucks

you want to park it? 70 bucks

Speed cameras everywhere with a 25 mph speed limit

bike lanes that take away driving lanes and parking spots

ask yourself who does this affect? Outer borough people are the only ones with cars. 

meanwhile they dont prosecute people for jumping turnstiles and the buses have reminders on the marquis that you have to “pay the fare”

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Exactly.  I left lower Westchester for a couple years to live in Miami and the food experience was so much worse than I expected, not because SoFla food is bad but because the comfort foods I grew up with (Italian delis, authentic pizza, bagel shops, etc.) are such a rarity down there.

Lack of seasonal change and higher crime rate (you get what you pay for with state income taxes) were other deal breakers for me.  I’m happily back in Westchester now.

Westchester is red lined. 

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Im gonna let you guys considering fl move in on a secret: Tampa sucks, but across the bridge in st pete pinellas county.... oh man the best spot in fl hands down shhhhh

Channel District Tampa doesn’t suck. A lot to do.

3 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Nyc is insane

just think about owning a car.  

You have to get it inspected by the state every few years.  

You want to cross a bridge? 20 bucks

you want to park it? 70 bucks

Speed cameras everywhere with a 25 mph speed limit

bike lanes that take away driving lanes and parking spots

ask yourself who does this affect? Outer borough people are the only ones with cars. 

meanwhile they dont prosecute people for jumping turnstiles and the buses have reminders on the marquis that you have to “pay the fare”

All your issues are about driving and cars. 

Much of nyc isn’t really a car place. 

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Nice! I think you get the nicest house per dollar in houston. 

Yeah the prices havent blown up like Austin just yet.  All the Californians and New Yorkers are have overlooked Houston but its close to blowing up. 

great food scene…chinese, mexican, bbq, indian, steak all off the charts….and the Kolaches ?

84CA2BDB-2A91-4FD2-A9E5-36DC42A95251.jpeg