Figured I'd try a thread like this, since I'm not aware of like it, and I get a kick out of the fact that a message board focused on the NY Jets seems to have so relatively few people who live in the city proper. 

I thought it'd be nice to have a place for NYC residents to talk about city news and goings on, things to do, neighborhood, food and bar recommendations, riffs and rants, whatever.

I've lived on the UWS for 11 years.  My current favorite pizza joint is Made in New York (on 80th) and my all-time favorite bar is George Keeley's (83rd).

Whaddya got?

Figured I'd try a thread like this, since I'm not aware of like it, and I get a kick out of the fact that a message board focused on the NY Jets seems to have so relatively few people who live in the city proper. 
I thought it'd be nice to have a place for NYC residents to talk about city news and goings on, things to do, neighborhood, food and bar recommendations, riffs and rants, whatever.
I've lived on the UWS for 11 years.  My current favorite pizza joint is Made in New York (on 80th) and my all-time favorite bar is George Keeley's (83rd).
Whaddya got?
I live pretty much in the opposite corner of Manhattan, been here for 25+ years. These days I take pleasure in seeing the city come to life again post-pandemic - walking down aves a, b, 1st etc. and seeing all the restaurants packed, sidewalks full again, people in the parks. Good stuff.
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
On 7/2/2021 at 10:03 AM, nj meadowlands said:

Whaddya got?

I use to love big nicks for pizza on the upper west side.  And their fried chicken dinner. 

I live in Inwood. My favorite dinner place is the hot dog cart as I am walking to Diamond 6 to watch some baseball.

4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Yeah, I figured you'd say that.  Used to love the old Big Nick's.  I went to their 50th anniversary thing where they charged like 60 cents for burgers.  Good times.

The "other" Big Nick's is very hit or miss in terms of food, but word is that the guys who run the places are jerks and cheapskates.

• Upvote 1

Patsys pizza on 1st avenue and 117 street is not a chain It’s been around since the ‘30s   Still has the old coal fired pizza oven. Now there is another patsys that also laid claim to the name and was litigated in court and neither one affiliated with the other 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Patsys pizza on 1st avenue and 117 street is not a chain It’s been around since the ‘30s   Still has the old coal fired pizza oven. Now there is another patsys that also laid claim to the name and was litigated in court and neither one affiliated with the other 

Interesting.  I will have to check it out.  The Patsy's on the UWS is also coal fired, but I think there are better joints around.

Only partially true - it's been owned by Frank Briza, an Albanian guy, for 30+ years (this came up before, here or on another board I follow) following the original owner Patsy Lancieri's death, in 1991.

In the mid 90s Briza trademarked the name and opened other locations with some Greeks. There were a total of 6 in Manhattan at one time, don't know how many of those affiliated locations are left. The original offshoot on Third Ave near 34th St is no longer there.

The lawsuit was between Briza and Patsy's Pizza in Brooklyn, owned by Patsy Lancieri's nephew, Patsy Grimaldi, who opened Patsy's in Brooklyn in 1990 (before Harlem was sold to Briza). That is called Grimaldi's today.

There are another half-dozen "Patsy's Pizzas" in NYC and more elsewhere, all using brick ovens but none affiliated with the Harlem location or its original offshoots. FYI the original owner, Patsy Lancieri, learned to make pizza at Lombardi's before going out on his own.

All true. I was referring to the one in East Harlem which has no other locations. Still the best pizza I ever had. 

All true. I was referring to the one in East Harlem which has no other locations. Still the best pizza I ever had. 

So was I. The East Harlem location was sold to the Albanian in 1991, and he expanded it with some Greek partners to 5 or 6 Manhattan locations.
  • 2 weeks later...

The illegal Dirt bikes and ATVs that tear through Manhattan in squadrons disrupting traffic, passing through red lights, and going against traffic or on sidewalks MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY! 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

The illegal Dirt bikes and ATVs that tear through Manhattan in squadrons disrupting traffic, passing through red lights, and going against traffic or on sidewalks MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY! 

Yeah it has gotten brutal

Reading this thread reminded me of taking chicks I really liked, or wanted to impress, to Caffee Roma after dinner or an afternoon movie.   Cute place with only a few tables.  I can smell the espresso and Sambuca.   Happy that it still exists.

Caffe-Roma-Little-Italy-Mulberry-Street-