Thinking about a job change

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nice credentials thank you for your service. 

I'm a volunteer FF as you know 40 years same town been the Ass't Chief,Captain,Lt, Engineer,currently the President  all for FREE in a small town that doesn't respect its volunteers. 

I declined the Chiefs position years ago, my dad was dieing and I was coaching youth sports for my son and daughter and I hate politicians. 

You are young  do what your heart tells you to do. 

We always regret the decisions we don't make in life most times. 

FM is a nice gig, go for it and good luck. 

Keep me posted. 

Thanks Brother! 

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Arsis said:

Would the move impact your pension?

Of course, time=$$$, and there are Pros and Cons to everything.  I would collect immediately upon separation at about 60% of my current salary - for life. I would also have access to my 175 Fund ($200K-ish) and my 457 account.  I will miss the drop, but tbh I never planned on staying much past 53 anyway. But I'm 50 with a 12 and 9 year old, so no matter what, I'm in for the long haul, and the new FD is also a  175 Plan Pension.

So, I stay at the current job unhappy, being used, 1 hour drive every morning,  with an unsure ability to get promoted/advance, OR I start at a slightly lower pay rate, with a better title, close to home, much less stress (Sleepy Stuart vs "West 'Nam Beach") and enjoy my West Palm Pension for the next 30 years, God Willing. 

Win-Win 😆 

• Upvote 3

As a former executive and medical recruiter I can throw a couple thing’s out there based on experience speaking to both sides, on a million issues  
I represented a female family practice resident that was graduating and would consider rural and urban areas and deliver babies  

Easily worth her weight in gold    

she narrowed it down to a top 3 , shot her shot and asked her top choice (without their knowledge of course) , to match the higher offer of her 3rd choice  

the hospital administrator made nice talk and cut to the chase and said we all know the market and where does she actually want to practice medicine?   

he didn’t budge (that’s why he runs a hospital lol)  she took the offer and loved the place  

Don’t let money be the only reason you change, and it’s likely they there is a reason the other opportunity is offering more cash  vs other reasons to work there  

if you were interviewing through me you’d have to convince me that you won’t get buyers remorse and either not take an offer, or worse, start and then go back.   
Visualize giving notice and leaving.  Can you do it ?

what you do and who you do it with is more important than cash compensation. The thrill will wear off, and you will spend up to your new income level and be about where you are now, but with nicer stuff.  Will you be happy day to day?

Payroll expenses are different than hard equipment purchases. A raise in pay typically cascades to other categories and then compounds every year. Don’t equate pay with respect, especially in a tax payer funded (presumably) union position. 

meanwhile i researched cashing out my 401k and buying a Dunkin’ Donuts last month 😂

• Upvote 1

All of America is tired of their job.  There are opportunities now like never before. Where I work people with 20 plus years are quitting left and right. I have been here 26 years and am in the 50 year old boat too.  I wish you the best of luck.  Cutting that commute, mine is 80 miles each day round trip would be worth it alone.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Larz said:

As a former executive and medical recruiter I can throw a couple thing’s out there based on experience speaking to both sides, on a million issues  
I represented a female family practice resident that was graduating and would consider rural and urban areas and deliver babies  

she narrowed it down to a top 3 , shot her shot and asked her top choice (without their knowledge of course) , to match the higher offer of her 3rd choice  

the hospital administrator made nice talk and cut to the chase and said we all know the market and where does she actually want to practice medicine?   

he didn’t budge (that’s why he runs a hospital lol)  she took the offer and loved the place  

Don’t let money be the only reason you change, and it’s likely they there is a reason the other opportunity is offering more cash  vs other reasons to work there  

if you were interviewing through me you’d have to convince me that you won’t get buyers remorse and either not take an offer, or worse, start and then go back.   

what you do and who you do it with is more important than cash compensation. The thrill will wear off, and you will spend up to your new income level and be about where you are now, but with nicer stuff.  Will you be happy day to day?

Payroll expenses are different than hard equipment purchases. A raise in pay typically cascades to other categories and then compounds every year. Don’t equate pay with respect, especially in a tax payer funded (presumably) union position. 

meanwhile i researched cashing out my 401k and buying a Dunkin’ Donuts last month 😂

The new position would technically be a pay decrease...lol. 

Trust me, I understand the difference between Capital Expenses in the budget and Payroll.... But the fact that this department has a broken culture,  actively sh*ts on the non-Suppression personnel, and the upper management foment a toxic work climate while dismissing the hard work of people in "support" positions, while cutting edge departments (Phoenix,  Seattle) are throwing their weight behind Community Risk Reduction as a priority while our guys want to pretend every day is "Backdraft" is getting old.

Honestly,  I'm just tired of working there, and Its only getting worse.  

The money I would be leaving on the table isn't worth my happiness or sanity.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Lith said:

I am about 10 years older than you are.  I willingly took a significant pay cut to leave my job of 20 years in December.  Best move I ever made.  I used to be on call 7 days a week.  Cannot tell you how many weekends, evenings, holidays, vacations where i had to drop everything to deal with issues at work.   Owner of the business had no respect for the personal needs of his employees.  It was awful.

I am making quite a bit less money now, but I couldn't be happier.  I work 40 hours a week, for people who appreciate what we do, and more importantly recognize that we have lives outside of work and encourage vacation/days off/personal time. 

Life is about way more than just a salary.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

This is where my heads at. My wife has grown to despise my Department.  Its like I'm constantly on call, and EVERY bad call is at 3 am.

IMG_1548.thumb.jpg.6a39b8f23a3ba54f70446df17f8395f8.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, Larz said:

These hospital guys aren’t stupid. My wife is a doctor and didn’t get a raise for seven years. And the pay was bad for the amount of money the department brought in.  But they knew she had a 5 minute walk to work and young kids. Where was she going to go?

once she told them about another offer they started increasing the pay over the next few years.  But she was never going to leave in my opinion.  The higher pay wasn’t worth the longer commute and worse patient population. 

• Upvote 2
On 7/2/2021 at 9:50 PM, Fantasy Island said:

All of America is tired of their job.  There are opportunities now like never before. Where I work people with 20 plus years are quitting left and right. I have been here 26 years and am in the 50 year old boat too.  I wish you the best of luck.  Cutting that commute, mine is 80 miles each day round trip would be worth it alone.

80 miles. Wow. 

mine is 1/2 of a mile :-)

but we live in a apartment with two kids.  So there are trade offs

• Upvote 1

Jetengine sounds like you already made the decision. Go for the new job. A lil less pay, but an increase in happiness. If you can easily afford to lose the $$$ then go for it. Sounds like youre not desperate for cash

All jobs have shelf life

• Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, batman10023 said:

These hospital guys aren’t stupid. My wife is a doctor and didn’t get a raise for seven years. And the pay was bad for the amount of money the department brought in.  But they knew she had a 5 minute walk to work and young kids. Where was she going to go?

once she told them about another offer they started increasing the pay over the next few years.  But she was never going to leave in my opinion.  The higher pay wasn’t worth the longer commute and worse patient population. 

I recruited diagnostics techs for awhile until the 3rd one in a row took a counter offer to stay lol. 

The main difference in the jobs I referenced was the call (1:7 vs 1:4)  and patient population.   

what is your wife’s specialty?  

15 hours ago, Larz said:

I recruited diagnostics techs for awhile until the 3rd one in a row took a counter offer to stay lol. 

The main difference in the jobs I referenced was the call (1:7 vs 1:4)  and patient population.   

what is your wife’s specialty?  

Neonatologist   You work with that speciality?