These athletes already profiting from NCAA rule change

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Back in the early 09's, didn't Greg Anthony have some kind of weird deal where he forfeited his scholarship at UNLV, but made the money up with interest in some company selling t-shirts? 

Anything is possible with that team.  They were highly paid at UNLV, Tarkanian could care less about the NCAA and their “rules”.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Anything is possible with that team.  They were highly paid at UNLV, Tarkanian could care less about the NCAA and their “rules”.  

This was all I could find.  There is a Times article referenced in his WIki, but it is subscription only and I can't remember my log in.   There was definitely some struggle between him/UNLV and the NCAA.  FWIW, I don't think UNLV was too happy about it because it cut into their profit. 

A Rebel With a Business Cause?

On 7/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

When I went to school @ USF I wasn't an athlete grew up playing high school basketball but wasn't good enough for college but I really struggled to pay for all my books and classes and what not to the point of @ times hurting my grades because I had to work late nights after school and barely had any sleep. I think it's awesome these kids can make money off their name and these girls can make money off their looks by both doing it the honest way. As an FSU fan maybe Winston wouldn't of had to accept or steal foods to eat. 

One time I was hungry I went to Publix. Had them make me two Public subs loaded with extra bacon. Two foot longs. And walked right out of Publix without paying so I can't judge. However two weeks later I went back to the store and spoke with one of the managers and told him what happened and offered him $20 for the store not only did he refuse to accept he bought me two more sub sandwiches (no bacon) and paid for it himself a story I'll never forget.

There were def pubes in that second round of sandwiches 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Wait until someone in college is making more than the rookie first round wage scale

Didn’t even think of that lol. Definitely possible. Many Heisman winners aren’t considered early round pro prospects. For them definitely better to stick around and cash in if they have eligibility left after winning.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Didn’t even think of that lol. Definitely possible. Many Heisman winners aren’t considered early round pro prospects. For them definitely better to stick around and cash in if they have eligibility left after winning.

This is very true.  It even applies to top picks like Trevor Lawrence who really had no leverage if they didnt want to play for the team with the number 1 pick.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

This is very true.  It even applies to top picks like Trevor Lawrence who really had no leverage if they didnt want to play for the team with the number 1 pick.  

Delete. I’m bad at math lol

On 7/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, jgb said:

Wow what an awesome way for agents to get in early with players. "We can maximize your earnings as a college athlete for no fee so long as you agree we represent you through your first pro contract."

Nothing like seeding your own future commission. 

Welcome to Freshman Orientation. Please be sure to stop by and get your ID, your schedule, your dorm assignment, and oh, this meeting with an agent who would love to talk to you about your future in the NFL. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, jgb said:

All joking aside, can  you imagine what Tebow or Johnny Manziel would have been pulling down in college?

Those guys are BELOVED by their colleges

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Nothing like seeding your own future commission. 

Welcome to Freshman Orientation. Please be sure to stop by and get your ID, your schedule, your dorm assignment, and oh, this meeting with an agent who would love to talk to you about your future in the NFL. 

The world is ready for a Jerry McGuire sequel. His only pro client having long since retired he now resorts to sitting behind a folding table at freshmen orientation trying to convince student-athletes to do local mattress commercials. 

• Haha 3

It will take a few years for players to earn more than their 1st round contracts, but very soon players can earn more in college than a 3rd or 4th round contract will pay.

If an SEC QB can make 500-1 Million per year, and they are a mid round prospect (Think Kevin Mond out of A&M this year).  It will also, I think, lead to Colleges raiding each other for players.   If there's a player who is playing well for a smaller school, a school with better funded Alumni (Texas for example) can now just steal that player for legal money.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

It will take a few years for players to earn more than their 1st round contracts, but very soon players can earn more in college than a 3rd or 4th round contract will pay.

If an SEC QB can make 500-1 Million per year, and they are a mid round prospect (Think Kevin Mond out of A&M this year).  It will also, I think, lead to Colleges raiding each other for players.   If there's a player who is playing well for a smaller school, a school with better funded Alumni (Texas for example) can now just steal that player for legal money.

This is already happening.  Now that the transfer portal is wide open, kids can go wherever they want without having to sit out a year.   There has been a crazy amount of movement already.  Its a good thing for the kids.  

• Upvote 1

Wait until someone in college is making more than the rookie first round wage scale
These are still local sponsors, hard to see that. The $10MM car dealer deal mentioned above is a fantasy. Even a UCLA in a big market would have a hard time justifying that chunk of their marketing budget. Car dealers make very little from sales, mostly make their money from service.

But if that were the case, the NFL instituted the wage scale to protect teams from high round 1 busts, they can scale it up if necessary. Also -
This would be better for the league too - most of these players would benefit from another year or two in college. Less likely to bust I would think, which again lessens the impact of the rookie wage scale. I could see the League loosening the purse strings on rookies down the road.

4 minutes ago, isired said:

These are still local sponsors, hard to see that. The $10MM car dealer deal mentioned above is a fantasy. Even a UCLA in a big market would have a hard time justifying that chunk of their marketing budget. Car dealers make very little from sales, mostly make their money from service.

But if that were the case, the NFL instituted the wage scale to protect teams from high round 1 busts, they can scale it up if necessary. Also -This would be better for the league too - most of these players would benefit from another year or two in college. Less likely to bust I would think, which again lessens the impact of the rookie wage scale. I could see the League loosening the purse strings on rookies down the road.

I’m not disagreeing with you because I don’t know the answers and just think it’s an interesting topic. Here’s my question though…let’s say this was in place last year and Trevor Lawrence said screw Jacksonville I’m going back for another year of college.  How much do you think he could get from sponsers ? Is he allowed to contract individually with Nike if Nike is a sponsor of the team already.  Or can he sign with Reebok if the teams getting money from Nike?  I’m guessing no to both questions, but I could see Lawrence locking in some pretty big deals if he was still in college by companies wanting to get in early with him.

The current nil deal is a start, but the players still don’t get to touch the billions colleges get from sponsers and tv contracts.  When/if that changes then the nfl will really have to up their rookie scale. 

On 7/29/2021 at 6:12 PM, TokyoJetsFan said:

Its a big deal out here, I work in Southlake (hos town).

They finished 2nd on state last year, and are hoping to win this year.  It's also a big deal as many of his team mates are hoping for scholarships, and he makes sure they get more exposure.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Its a big deal out here, I work in Southlake (hos town).

They finished 2nd on state last year, and are hoping to win this year.  It's also a big deal as many of his team mates are hoping for scholarships, and he makes sure they get more exposure.

This for me is the big worry.  When you get to skipping high school that's not a good thing.  Every guy is going to be a big star but many flop.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This for me is the big worry.  When you get to skipping high school that's not a good thing.  Every guy is going to be a big star but many flop.

You blow the money, cause you're 19.

Flame out in college, it can and will go bad for some kids.

• Upvote 1

I mean they're not really skipping high school. Just his senior year, by graduating early. A lot of kids finish high school after their junior year plus taking a class or two over the summer, or graduate in January. The way high school is now, at least here in NY and I'm sure most everywhere else, kids have enough or just about enough credits to graduate a year early.

22 minutes ago, isired said:
On 7/31/2021 at 3:43 PM, Beerfish said:

I mean they're not really skipping high school. Just his senior year, by graduating early. A lot of kids finish high school after their junior year plus taking a class or two over the summer, or graduate in January. The way high school is now, at least here in NY and I'm sure most everywhere else, kids have enough or just about enough credits to graduate a year early.

Are these guys going to 'grab a class or two over summer'  I see the vast majority ditching the last year, skipping college and once they fail and are 25 years old having a much iffier future.

We shall see in the long run where this goes.

Are these guys going to 'grab a class or two over summer'  I see the vast majority ditching the last year, skipping college and once they fail and are 25 years old having a much iffier future.
We shall see in the long run where this goes.
We're talking about kids who are playing college football right? So they need to graduate high school.

And other kids (not the football players we're talking about above), at least those that I know, either started college early or worked after graduating HS early and started college with the rest of their class. They tend to be more motivated kids, not less. Just kids that are 'done' with high school.