JFM Will Team Up With Q and Rankin for 25 sacks from DT. Defensive Sacks U/O = 45

Really looking forward to watching this DL wreak havoc on OL and collapse the pocket!

https://t.co/j6dRYJy5tH?amp=1

Good interview of JFM. Seems like a humble, ready to get to work kind of guy!

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/john-franklin-myers-keeping-jets-promise/

in 2020 had career highs in everything, including: 27 QB pressures, 2nd on #Jets 11 QB knockdowns, 1st on #Jets & 4 more than Q 13 QB hits, t-2nd on #Jets & only 1 less than Q Can play inside & outside of DL & just 25 years old when 2021 season starts

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

25 sacks from 3 DT’s?? No. They need to average over 8 sacks each which is outrageously ludicrous to expect from one DT, much less 3. We would be lucky if the 3 of them combine for 15 sacks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't understand your negativism.  The NY sack exchange  of 4 players combined for over 54 sacks one year.  Why can't the 3 of them combine for 25 sacks this year?  Doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't understand your negativism.  The NY sack exchange  of 4 players combined for over 54 sacks one year.  Why can't the 3 of them combine for 25 sacks this year?  Doesn't make sense.

I don't think this is correct.  I don't think the Jets ever had 50 sacks in a season as a team.  As four the Sack Exchange, Salaam only had a career total of 2.5 sacks.  The production was all Gastineau and Klecko, mostly Gastineau.  And he was an outside guy, not a DT.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Really looking forward to watching this DL wreak havoc on OL and collapse the pocket!

https://t.co/j6dRYJy5tH?amp=1

Good interview of JFM. Seems like a humble, ready to get to work kind of guy!

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/john-franklin-myers-keeping-jets-promise/

in 2020 had career highs in everything, including: 27 QB pressures, 2nd on #Jets 11 QB knockdowns, 1st on #Jets & 4 more than Q 13 QB hits, t-2nd on #Jets & only 1 less than Q Can play inside & outside of DL & just 25 years old when 2021 season starts

If not for brady's constant whining, I would love this.  I see 25 roughing the passer calls.  Sad.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I don't think this is correct.  I don't think the Jets ever had 50 sacks in a season as a team.  As four the Sack Exchange, Salaam only had a career total of 2.5 sacks.  The production was all Gastineau and Klecko, mostly Gastineau.  And he was an outside guy, not a DT.

It’s pretty close. Klecko and Gatineau had 40 1/2 between the two of them that year 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, CSNY said:

It’s pretty close. Klecko and Gatineau had 40 1/2 between the two of them that year 

Ah, the 1981 season where sacks weren't official.  Forgot about that.  Yes, the four of them did have 53.5 sacks combined.

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

Ah, the 1981 season where sacks weren't official.  Forgot about that.  Yes, the four of them did have 53.5 sacks combined.

If the Jets get that kind of production from the d line this year the defensive backfield will be just fine. Might very well be a playoff contender with that kind of consistent pressure on QB 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Alka said:

Curry/Rankin/QW/Lawson: Who’s getting the double team?

Blair/Shepherd/JFM/Phillips: talented 2nd string players

Fatukasi and Zuniga will also be a part of the rotation

This wouldn't shock me.  I'd pencil QW in for 12 sacks and Rankins had 8 the last time he was healthy.  With this many bodies on the DL these guys should see plenty of one-on-one match-ups that they can take advantage of.

Of course if the CB's are trash, 25 sacks is far less likely.  If they get coached up, that's a different story.

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

The Sack Exchange had 53.5 sacks, the team had 66 in 1981.  Gastineau that year had 20, Klecko 20.5

Well, the fact that our CBs and LB’s will only need to be concerned with a 15y x 50y piece of real estate will be helpful in that event.  Interceptions should be up and coverage times down. 
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF
Listen, I understand OCs will adapt to our pass rush & Maybe my sack projections are a bit high, but this unit is talented and deep. With the athleticism of some of the young players and with a scheme that can hide where the pressure will be coming from I think this unit can be top 10 in pressure and sacks. 

Top 5 in rushing yards allowed. 

Game of inches. We’ll see how well they do pressuring the QBs.  I’m not sure how many sacks actually happen in the 2.5 second time frame. Is it50%? 30%?  And maybe that’s why pressures are just or even more valuable than sacks. The idea is to disrupt the other teams play.  And if they do get a great pass rush then you can bet saleh is going to keep the dbs close to cover the quick pass.  Of course that could leave them vulnerable down field.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Of course that could leave them vulnerable down field.

That’s why getting Maye signed and happy and getting reps with Joyner is imperative! If Saleh is going to be aggressive with CB the back end needs to be solid to cover the long ball

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Top 5 in rushing yards allowed.

I suspect nearly the opposite, perhaps bottom ten in rushing yards. The 3-4 with the big LBs is a rushing defense. This defense is designed primarily to stop the pass. I’m glad the team is finally getting out of the Stone Age in that regard, but Mosley coming off two years off and a converted DB playing the Will, I just expect the run defense to suffer. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

I suspect nearly the opposite, perhaps bottom ten in rushing yards. The 3-4 with the big LBs is a rushing defense. This defense is designed primarily to stop the pass. I’m glad the team is finally getting out of the Stone Age in that regard, but Mosley coming off two years off and a converted DB playing the Will, I just expect the run defense to suffer. 

According to ESPN NFL Stats, 49ers were 5th overall defense (yards allowed) and 7th in rushing yards allowed. They were 4th in PYA.

What SF DL players get an edge over Jets DL running the same system we will run. Obviously Bosa is the Alpha Edge,  but I rank Lawson over Armstead & Q over all interior players as well. Rankins, Fatukasi & Phillips over remaining SF players

Can Mosley play up to Fred Warner’s level? Can Jarrad Davis and Cashman play outside LB better than SF LB? Or will Jets deploy a 4-2-5 scheme with Sherwood/Nasirildeen? We have a lot of flexibility.

Jets on paper are at a clear disadvantage at CB. Hoping Maye and Joyner can provide leadership and strengthen that area.  DL however, I give Jets the edge.

612A30C3-A05E-4C9E-908B-DFF26F659B05.thumb.png.55a4458b93ca93b4e7bb065ce41c61d4.png

Edited by 32EBoozer

Ok let me make it simple for you. To get 25 sacks from these 3 they’d have to average over 8 sacks each. Considering Rankins and JFM had 3 or less each last year, coupled with Williams total of 7c you’re expecting a system to nearly triple their output. The best tackle in the league had 12.5 sacks last year. Assuming QW could manage that, which he won’t but I’ll humor you, you’d still need the other two to get at least 6 each to get to 25 sacks combined. These 3 will combine for about 10-15 sacks total on the year at best.

Recognition From PFF

Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus wisely awarded Fatukasi with the honor of “most underrated” Jets player that’s currently on the roster.

“Fatukasi recorded the best PFF run-defense grade from any interior defender outside of Aaron Donald,” noted Monson in reference to the defensive tackle’s 86.2 grade against the run in 2020.

Foley has actually been a model of consistency ever since gaining playing time in 2019, with an 87.6 grade on run defense the year before and 13 tackles for a loss over the two campaigns combined.

Jets team reporter Ethan Greenberg also highlighted his run-stop-win rate which ranked fourthfor all defensive tackles at 42%. Fellow teammate Quinnen Williams actually finished first in the NFL in this category at an impressive 49% win rate.

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Ok let me make it simple for you. To get 25 sacks from these 3 they’d have to average over 8 sacks each. Considering Rankins and JFM had 3 or less each last year, coupled with Williams total of 7c you’re expecting a system to nearly triple their output. The best tackle in the league had 12.5 sacks last year. Assuming QW could manage that, which he won’t but I’ll humor you, you’d still need the other two to get at least 6 each to get to 25 sacks combined. These 3 will combine for about 10-15 sacks total on the year at best.

Thank you for that logic.  I get what you are saying, and I think that 25 sacks between the 3 is a real stretch, but I still feel that 20 is realistic.  This is based on my belief that all 3 players will have their best years this upcoming year.  I guess I'm just an optimist.

21 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I am hopeful that the "Wide 9" un-clutters the line and allows more operating room for QW, Rankins, Fatukasi, JFM, Shepherd &Phillips.

Opens up space and requires more 1 on 1 blocking from Guards and Centers. 

44 minutes ago, Alka said:

Thank you for that logic.  I get what you are saying, and I think that 25 sacks between the 3 is a real stretch, but I still feel that 20 is realistic.  This is based on my belief that all 3 players will have their best years this upcoming year.  I guess I'm just an optimist.

22 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

According to ESPN NFL Stats, 49ers were 5th overall defense (yards allowed) and 7th in rushing yards allowed. They were 4th in PYA.

What SF DL players get an edge over Jets DL running the same system we will run. Obviously Bosa is the Alpha Edge,  but I rank Lawson over Armstead & Q over all interior players as well. Rankins, Fatukasi & Phillips over remaining SF players

Can Mosley play up to Fred Warner’s level? Can Jarrad Davis and Cashman play outside LB better than SF LB? Or will Jets deploy a 4-2-5 scheme with Sherwood/Nasirildeen? We have a lot of flexibility.

Jets on paper are at a clear disadvantage at CB. Hoping Maye and Joyner can provide leadership and strengthen that area.  DL however, I give Jets the edge.

612A30C3-A05E-4C9E-908B-DFF26F659B05.thumb.png.55a4458b93ca93b4e7bb065ce41c61d4.png

Funny that you look at those CBs and see a "clear disadvantage."  I looked and thought, I guess the Jets probably won't make a move at CB.  Verrett is a nice player, but has tons of injury problems.  Moseley is an UDFA that got to his 2nd contract, but probably only has one season of starts.  Who else do they have?  This year's 3rd, Thomas from Michigan.  Plainfield's own Dontae Johnson is a fringe NFL player turning 30 who hasn't played a real game in years.  Their nickel is K'Waun Williams is the guy the Browns cut with the phantom or not injury that the Jets almost signed.  I look at that group and think - these guys don't emphasize names at CB.  

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Verrett is a nice player, but has tons of injury problems.

I was only going off of what I remember of this player when watching him in the past. Didn’t know about the injury history. If anything this strengthens the point I was making. Better CB play means QB holds the ball longer which helps out PR. 
Appreciate your opinion. 

On 7/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, slats said:

Sacks are great but applying constant pressure that forces the QB to throw before he wants to is really the key for this defense. Really don’t want this secondary covering for much more than two seconds. On paper, that front four looks both solid and deep. I expect a lot of rotation with guys like Fatusaki and Curry providing fresh legs all game. Be nice to see a couple of those mysterious Zuniga flashes, too. 

Right on the Money ! Been saying this for years. When you start applying pressure from different areas of the defense the sacks will come. If we are in a QB's face all game but only get one sack it means absolutely nothing.

Some QB's are very good at getting rid of the ball quick but when they are under such constant pressure it makes it difficult for them to stay within the game plan. Adjustments have to be made, shorting routes, dumping to the backs etc..... And of course the key to all pressure is when you get pressures/sacks on 3rd down or in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.

A good way to distinguish a decent pass rusher, from a good pass rusher, to a great pass rusher is when they actually get those sacks. Shawn Ellis never had a huge amount of sacks but the guy was a terror in the 4th quarter he's the only player I can remember getting some big sacks to seal games late in the 4th I can't remember any other Jet pass rushers who were able to do that in the last 20 years . Hopefully with a DL of Williams, Rankins, Lawson, Curry, and what looks like some very good depth that may change quickly.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Keep in mind our corners may do better in this system without all the blitzing and leaving corners on islands like Greg Williams did, they may actually do better, not even mentioning the fact we may have a much better pass rush in general which can also help the corners. Of course I'm being optimistic here but its not out of the question. We also have to keep in mind sometimes teams/players don't start to reap the benefits of a new system until mid season when they learn it and start to play faster with more instinct. Lots of things going on... New Coaches, new system, new players