Defensive Expectations 2021

38 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I expect top 20.   The offenses in our division aren't great so that will help the numbers.

Aside from the Bill's 2nd highest scoring offense in the league.. Miami was 15th and added a lot of firepower. I don't think Tua is a QB that will "make it", but they're likely a top 15 offense and the probably have the best defense which means short fields. 

The patriots are likely going to be bad, but it's not like Buffalo and Miami's offenses are run by Adam Gase with the Jets 2020 roster. 

• Sympathy 1

Interesting topic. Under GW we were a decent defense in 2019 and fell off the cliff in 2020 after trading Adams. Don’t think the trade had much to do with the inept defense, as our putrid offense had an obvious affect causing our defense to be worn out game after game.  We now have a highly regarded defensive minded HC in Saleh.  Changing to a 4-3 brings in a different strategy. But do we really have the personnel for this?  And the secondary  is RAW as a butt after eating some super hot chili. It could be platooned by 3-4 rookies in nickel and dime packages.  The big keys in this defense are QW and Lawson. Can we generate a pass rush. Can Mosley return to 2018 form and be a leader in this defense. Can the starting cb’s, especially cb2, whoever they will be, hold their own. So many many question marks. Fair to say it’s just a huge mystery as to what this defense will look like. I think they’ll be hungry and pretty decent. They’re young, aggressive and fast which should be fun to watch. 

• Upvote 3

I can't see the defense being any higher than probably 20 this season. CB is a blatant weakness. This is a new defense with players just learning it and a few of the linebackers that were drafted are severely undersized.

• Upvote 1

No reason this shouldn't be a top 15 defense if it's not it means the front couldn't generate a pass rush which would be disappointing considering we just spent big bucks on two lineman, just hired a defensive guru, and have Q who is a supposed young superstar.

• Upvote 1

I think you need to look at the D (and the whole team for that matter) in terms of progress through the season.

The first 4-5 games are likely to be rough. New players, young players need time to mesh and get experience. CJM has to shake off the rust. Jets new coaches are good. But they can’t change this reality.

By mid season, all that should change.

The OL will also be a big factor. They too face an early season “mesh and experience” process.  But by mid season, the Jets should be able to run the football. Doing so changes time of possession allowing the D to be off the field. That alone makes the D better.

The overall W-L record may not be that great. But a strong finish, especially with the Jets in a strong draft position, sets up a very competitive 2022. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Interesting topic. Under GW we were a decent defense in 2019 and fell off the cliff in 2020 after trading Adams. Don’t think the trade had much to do with the inept defense, as our putrid offense had an obvious affect causing our defense to be worn out game after game.  We now have a highly regarded defensive minded HC in Saleh.  Changing to a 4-3 brings in a different strategy. But do we really have the personnel for this?  And the secondary  is RAW as a butt after eating some super hot chili. It could be platooned by 3-4 rookies in nickel and dime packages.  The big keys in this defense are QW and Lawson. Can we generate a pass rush. Can Mosley return to 2018 form and be a leader in this defense. Can the starting cb’s, especially cb2, whoever they will be, hold their own. So many many question marks. Fair to say it’s just a huge mystery as to what this defense will look like. I think they’ll be hungry and pretty decent. They’re young, aggressive and fast which should be fun to watch. 

Don’t think trade of Adams has anything to do with the defense being almost as bad as the offense last year.Lot of it had to do with the quality of the teams that were on the schedule in 2020 That 7-9 team in 2019 was an aberration that most of us ( myself included) thought the defense had potential to be good since we had a real cupcake schedule The tomato can teams we played lulled most of us into thinking we were better defensively than what we really were Other than that agree with rest of your post 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, addage said:

I think you need to look at the D (and the whole team for that matter) in terms of progress through the season.

The first 4-5 games are likely to be rough. New players, young players need time to mesh and get experience. CJM has to shake off the rust. Jets new coaches are good. But they can’t change this reality.

By mid season, all that should change.

The OL will also be a big factor. They too face an early season “mesh and experience” process.  But by mid season, the Jets should be able to run the football. Doing so changes time of possession allowing the D to be off the field. That alone makes the D better.

The overall W-L record may not be that great. But a strong finish, especially with the Jets in a strong draft position, sets up a very competitive 2022. 

why would it take until mid-season for us to run the football? I expect that to be a thing all season.

Ulbich had said it all depends on the front getting pressure before the QB gets to his 3rd read. 

the pass rush is improving but not amazing yet 

Somewhere between 12 and 18 I guess 

fwiw the guy I can’t wait to see is Jamien Sherwood. 

• Upvote 2

The defense is going to depend a whole lot on how the offense does.  I don’t see it being all that much better than last season although saleh will probably get more attention from the players than Williams did.  If the offense can stop burying itself with 3 and outs and actually control field position, things will be much better.

13 hours ago, docdhc said:

CJ Moseley and a much improved pass rush makes this a top 10 defense. 

I think where this defense is really in trouble, and where they need Mosley to produce, is in stopping the run. The Jets have been a great run defense pretty consistently since Parcells first installed the 3-4, going back to the 4-3 with converted DBs playing LB, we could see this team run over for the first time in a long time. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

The defense is going to depend a whole lot on how the offense does.  I don’t see it being all that much better than last season although saleh will probably get more attention from the players than Williams did.  If the offense can stop burying itself with 3 and outs and actually control field position, things will be much better.

The Jets defensive rankings over the years has been assisted by having an offense that can’t score points, so opposing offenses didn’t have to put pressure on the defense because they weren’t in danger of losing their lead. The offense can help the defense by running the ball (and keeping the defense off the field). If this offense becomes one that can score, though, the defense will be in for a rough ride because the opposition will need to score more, too. 

24 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I think the Jets will be amongst the top run defenses.

They will be amongst the worst pass defenses, I fear.

Yeah, I disagree. They did the most offseason work defensively adding to the front four, an area of the team that was already strong but lacked pass rushers. They added a few. I expect them to rotate 6-7-8 guys up front to keep fresh legs chasing after the QB all season. As long as they can get pressure, I’m not too concerned about the CBs. Where this aggressive front four and smaller back seven can be beat is via the run, imo. 

As far as overall rankings, everything considered, just under middle of the pack seems right. It is a work in progress. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that Jeff Ulbrich will be a rookie defensive coordinator.

He was the DC/assistant HC in Atlanta last year, but only has that one year. Considering the experience on the Jets staff, I’ll take it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I expect them to be a high motor defense with a strong front four. I think they'll do well (and look great) against weaker offenses but struggle when they face top notch QBs.

That's like saying you expect them to get wet when it rains.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

why would it take until mid-season for us to run the football? I expect that to be a thing all season.

I think the best answer to that is the OL is very dependent on the coordinated movement of all 5 guys.  It just takes time for the guys to get their movement "choreographed".  If the OLs don't have their spacings right, there are seams that allow DLs and LBs to move through.  A great DL can beat you with individual effort.  That's less true of an OL.

20 hours ago, undertow said:

No reason this shouldn't be a top 15 defense if it's not it means the front couldn't generate a pass rush which would be disappointing considering we just spent big bucks on two lineman, just hired a defensive guru, and have Q who is a supposed young superstar.

They brought in pass rushers, yes, but it’s far from a completed group.  Saleh’s scheme needs about 5-6 quality pass rushers (including situational guys) in rotation and we have 2 or 3 at the moment.

If Zuniga pops this year, now we’re cooking, but it still probably wouldn’t be enough to get us into the top 15.

6 hours ago, Jethead said:

That's like saying you expect them to get wet when it rains.

Somewhat true but I think this Jets defense will be one of extremes.

I..E. if you can't block this defensive front will eat you alive. When we play a team with a bad o-line and/or QB issues (think Week 1 vs. Carolina) I think they have a chance to feast and look much better than they are. By contrast, when we play a team with a good o-line and a top notch QB I could see them getting totally torched/exposed in the secondary.

So while obviously you're going to see every team perform better against weaker QBs or o-lines, I think this Jets defense has the chance to be more extreme/polarizing on a week to week basis.

How about competency,  You know, execute the scheme without mind numbing penalties.  If some of the veterans can perform like they have or better then the line  should be improved... However, if they ca not generate the kind of pressure some folks think, then you better buckle up.  

12 hours ago, Bronx said:

The D will crack the top 15 this year, closer to the 10th spot.  I think the O will find their groove mid-season, low-teens 17-19.  That is pretty good for a brand new team. 

Don't see it with our corners