Defensive Expectations 2021

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Don't see it with our corners

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Our coaches might be looking at them differently.  I am a believer... 

Maybe so.  But without the consistent pass rush this scheme needs it might be moot.  I like Lawson and the QW/Rankins pairing.  And I'm higher on Zuniga than most.  But unless things go positively at all 4 spots on the DL, AND we discover depth OR stay healthy, a consistent pass rush isn't happening.

• Sympathy 1

What are your expectations of the defense this year?
Saleh comes from the defensive side of the ball and had SF ranked 6th in 2020 and 2nd in 2019 in DVOA, but they were a bottom third defense in 2017 & 18. The Jets ranked 21st last year and 11th in 2019. We're making a big change from a 3-4 base to a 4-3 and it's unclear how our LB corps will fit into the new scheme. The CB group while it has a lot of potential is also questionable even though the system doesn't really rely on top CB play. A lot of this will probably come down to how much pressure our front 4 will generate. Another thing to keep in mind is that Jeff Ulbrich will be a rookie defensive coordinator. I doubt Saleh is going to focus on the defense and call the plays like a Rex Ryan - he seems more of a CEO type head coach from what I gather so far.
My guess is that we're looking at a middle of the pack defensive unit at best this year. If Saleh & Ulbrich can somehow get 2019/2020 49ers type of production and make us a top defensive unit we'd have a real shot at the playoffs with the running game I'm expecting us to produce. I don't really see that as a realistic expectation for 2021, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Someone feed me some defensive hopium.

Not only gonna harsh your defensive hopium buzz (I expect bottom 3rd D), I don’t think that run game is gonna be what you do. The tried and true way for NFL defenses to play rookie QB’s from smaller schools is the stack the box and blitz the hell out of him. Our RB’s are going to have nothing to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• 4 months later...

So worse than we expected.

In fairness to all those that posted in this thread, this was before the Carl Lawson injury.I think most would have said bottom 10 after that injury. However, we still didn't meet those expectations.

The offense has also underperformed all year. Nobody expected us to get off to such rough start offensively.

Long story short, we suck.

• Upvote 1