What would be the biggest positive surprise for Jets in 2021?

jgb

Good vibes  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What would be the biggest positive surprise versus expecation?

• Zach explodes onto the scene like his mom on the dance floor after one too many virgin mojitos
    • Chris Herndon catches 60 balls for 800 yards. The only thing he drops are 8 TDs on our opponents' faces.
    • Chris Berman's new nickname for Mims becomes "DK Mimscalf"
    • Michael Carter shows he's got them moves like Kamara (oooh ooooh oooooh oooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh oh!)
    • Lawson doubles his highest sack total since 2017 (11). Don't mess with the law, son!
    • Big Q doubles his sack total from 2020 (14). No one stresses over the salary cap implications of extending him.
    • Bechton plays all 17 games. Goes on Dancing with the Stars after the season to prove long term foot health.
    • CJ Mosley goes beast mode. Asked after a big game 16 win whether he's looking forward to game 17. Looks into the camera and says "CAN'T BRAKE." T-shirt sales explode.
    • Saleh wins coach of the year, makes a cameo on next season's Cobra Kai as an evil sensei.

Obviously Wilson being immediately awesome would be the "biggest." It would instantly recalibrate the short and long term expectations for this team.

Saleh winning coach of the year (which implies we win 10 games and make the playoffs) is right there too.

If we're making less about big picture stuff and more about specific players I think Quinnen tallying 14 sacks or Becton playing 17 games and looking like a stud are at the top of the list.

You didn't include it but I'd have Elijah Moore looking like the second coming of Antonio Brown (on the field) at the top of the list too.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Some of that list is going to come true - some won’t. Chris Herndon would be the biggest surprise for me. I expect the rest!

Wow. Make sure you don’t have any sharp objects around next season.

• Haha 1

I fully expect the OL to be a top 10 unit by year's end and this passing game to flow through Elijah and not Mims, Davis or Crowder.

But the biggest surprise is that they find at least one capable CB to play opposite of Bryce Hall. My bonus surprise is that they find a nice situational pass rusher in either Huff or Hamilcar.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Snook said:

I voted Q. There is a better chance of Kotite getting a heroes welcome on this board than someone not stressing about his new contract.

Also -- and I wish I was joking -- there were some on here expressing in 2019 that it's "good" that Darnold has underperformed because we'd be able to lock him up long term cheaper. 

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wilson, its all about Wilson.  Has to be, if he's the guy lots of other options on the list take care of themselves.  

That’s true, especially for any of the offensive players. Defensive as well I guess, nice for  a D to get  rest and play with a lead. 

• Upvote 2

Mims may not even crack the starting lineup, let alone elicit comparisons to DK Metcalf from national talking heads.

Personally, I wouldn't find Wilson "exploding" onto the scene all that surprising.  I can easily see him having a Baker Mayfield type of rookie season.  For a NY team, that will get a ton of positive national coverage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Alien tight end signs with his favorite team...

Aayala Bellonda swears before Zod that he grew up a Jets fan and vows to return the team to relevance. 

A big bear mylar balloon from Alpha Centari.

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, PS17 said:

Wilson being good is the only answer. Nothing else matters if he sucks. And if he’s great everything else will fall into place more easily. 

Based on the question - it's the "only" answer if you don't expect him to be good.  It would NOT surprise me one bit if he "explodes onto the scene."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Becton playing 17 games would be a major shocker.

After being named a starter his freshman year, he never missed a game of college ball. So playing a full season this year wouldn't shock me at all.

Staying this big hasn’t always been easy for Becton. In college, he said, he had trouble maintaining his weight. He calculated that he would burn 1,200 calories in a workout. He wasn’t eating enough food to replenish what he lost, causing his weight to fluctuate.

“I figured out I needed to eat more,” he said, adding that his ideal playing weight is 350 to 355 pounds.

33 minutes ago, Claymation said:

After being named a starter his freshman year, he never missed a game of college ball. So playing a full season this year wouldn't shock me at all.

I would be thoroughly shocked if he played 17 games.  I would be exceptionally happy about it..

But based on the last year and this year so far - I just don't see him playing all 17 games. 

I went with Herndon. The question was what would be the biggest surprise. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wilson came out the gates firing....he’s the #2 pick for a reason and look at the damage young QBs like Herbert and Burrow have done previously

Any semblance of Herndon looking like a 1st string TE would be a pleasant shock to me 

• Upvote 2