Jump to content

Pick 10 Defensive Backs to make the Jets 2021 Opening Day Roster


Defensive Backs on 2021 team?  

73 members have voted

  1. 1. Of the 18 players listed (including both CBs and Safeties), please select 10 that you think will make up the defensive backfield on the opening day roster? (Please select 10)

    • Blessaun Austin 6'1" 198 Rutgers (CB)
      65
    • Bryce Hall 6'1" 202 UVA (CB)
      72
    • Lamar Jackson 6'2" 208 Nebraska (CB)
      26
    • Javelin Guidry 5'9" 191 Utah (CB)
      39
    • Corey Ballentine 6'0" 190 Washburn (CB/KR)
      4
    • Michael Carter II 5'10" 184 Duke (S/CB)
      70
    • Jason Pinnock 6'0" 205 Pitt (CB)
      61
    • Brandin Echols 5'10" 180 Kentucky (CB/S)
      36
    • Justin Hardee 6'1" 194 Illinois (CB / (special teamer)
      54
    • Elijah Campbell 5'11" 190 Northern Iowa (CB)
      6
    • Isaiah Dunn 5'11" 189 Oregon State (CB)
      63
    • Zane Lewis 6'1" 190 Air Force (CB)
      4
    • Marcus Maye 6'0" 210 Florida (S)
      73
    • Lamarcus Joyner 5'8" 185 Florida State (S/CB)
      65
    • Ashtyn Davis 6'1" 202 Cal (S)
      71
    • Bennett Jackson 6'0" 192 Notre Dame (S)
      5
    • JT Hassell 5'11" 200 Florida Tech (S)
      4
    • Sharrod Neasman 5'11" 213 Florida Atlantic (S)
      16
  2. 2. Do you think the Jets will sign a veteran Free Agent Cornerback such as Richard Sherman or Brian Poole prior to the season?

    • YES!
      14
    • NO!
      55
    • Unsure / No Opinion
      4
  3. 3. SHOULD the Jets sign a veteran Free Agent Cornerback such as Richard Sherman or Brian Poole prior to the season?

    • YES!
      21
    • NO!
      43
    • Unsure / No Opinion
      9


Recommended Posts

There are currently 18 defensive backs on the Jets roster (12 CBs and 6 Safeties)

Assuming the Jets keep 10 total - they might keep 11, but we'll say 10 to make it harder, which of the listed players will be on the opening day active roster?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you’re missing Lamarcus Joyner who will obviously make team 

Safeties

Maye, Joyner, Davis

CB

Hall, Austin, Dunn, Jackson, Carter II, Guidry, Echols/Neasman??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Looks like you’re missing Lamarcus Joyner who will obviously make team 

Safeties

Maye, Joyner, Davis

CB

Hall, Austin, Dunn, Jackson, Carter II, Guidry, Echols/Neasman??

He should be on there.  Not sure why you aren't seeing him

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He should be on there.  Not sure why you aren't seeing him

Gotcha yeah I wrote that before you updated it, nice poll! A lot of people are ranking our corners as the worst in football but there is definitely some high upside guys here. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Adding Sherman or Poole should be a no brainer but we’ll see what Douglas decides 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Claymation said:

I have a feeling Bless won't make the team.

i almost thought the same but he did show some good ability his first year.  it could be the coaching change will improve his play.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So through 36 votes, JN's selections are:

CB

  • Bryce Hall (36)
  • Jason Pinnock (32)
  • Blessuan Austin (32)
  • Isiah Dunn (31)
  • Justin Hardee (29)
  • Brandin Echols (22)

S

  • Marcus Maye (36)
  • Ashtyn Davis (35)
  • Michael Carter II (35)
  • Lamarcus Joyner (33)

Toughest cuts (practice squad?)

  • Javelin Guidry (15)
  • Lamar Jackson (11)
  • Sharrod Neasman (6)

Easiest cuts

  • Corey Ballentine (1)
  • Bennett Jackson (1)
  • Elijah Campbell (2)
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I am not giving Hardee enough credit, but I picked Bennett Jackson as a special teamer.   A few of these guys are competing on that level more than at CB/S.  Ballentine has some special teams ability too.  I picked Echols being cut, but he could certainly make it.  Are Austin and Maye the only Maccagnan guys there? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe I am not giving Hardee enough credit, but I picked Bennett Jackson as a special teamer.   A few of these guys are competing on that level more than at CB/S.  Ballentine has some special teams ability too.  I picked Echols being cut, but he could certainly make it.  Are Austin and Maye the only Maccagnan guys there? 

Indeed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe I am not giving Hardee enough credit, but I picked Bennett Jackson as a special teamer.   A few of these guys are competing on that level more than at CB/S.  Ballentine has some special teams ability too.  I picked Echols being cut, but he could certainly make it.  Are Austin and Maye the only Maccagnan guys there? 

Wasn’t he signed specifically for specials?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

There are currently 18 defensive backs on the Jets roster (12 CBs and 6 Safeties)

Assuming the Jets keep 10 total - they might keep 11, but we'll say 10 to make it harder, which of the listed players will be on the opening day active roster?

Only 10?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Larz said:

Wasn’t he signed specifically for specials?

Hardee?  Absolutely.  I believe that so was Bennett Jackson.  I figured that Boyer had more familiarity with Jackson.   Looking at the contracts I can see why people are locked in on Hardee and he probably won't be dumped unless he is replaced by the younger guys - but that can probably include some of the hybrid S/LB guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hardee?  Absolutely.  I believe that so was Bennett Jackson.  I figured that Boyer had more familiarity with Jackson.   Looking at the contracts I can see why people are locked in on Hardee and he probably won't be dumped unless he is replaced by the younger guys - but that can probably include some of the hybrid S/LB guys.

Didn’t know that about Jackson. The hybrid guys are so interesting. They are the guy’s that I can’t wait to see in pads. 
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, slats said:

Hardee is as much of a lock this year as Maye, imo. JD signed three guys to three year deals early; Davis on offense, Lawson on defense, and Hardee on specials. He’s not going anywhere. 

Agreed.  Like I said, I hadn't read his contract.  I was familiar with the player, but not very.  Looking at the deal, he is probably here this year and then bubble next two.  It's a 3 year deal, but only $1M guaranteed and it is all gone after this year. It isn't the kind of deal they can't cut, but they won't unless a bunch of the young guys really wow.

HIs deal is much more on par with Vinny Curry than Lawson or Corey Davis. Curry is on a 1 year deal with basically $1M guaranteed.  Lamarcus Joyner is on a 1 year, but $1.5 is guaranteed.  He and Jarrad Davis are on 1 year deals, but more likely to stick than Hardee, IMO

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Agreed.  Like I said, I hadn't read his contract.  I was familiar with the player, but not very.  Looking at the deal, he is probably here this year and then bubble next two.  It's a 3 year deal, but only $1M guaranteed and it is all gone after this year. It isn't the kind of deal they can't cut, but they won't unless a bunch of the young guys really wow.

HIs deal is much more on par with Vinny Curry than Lawson or Corey Davis. Curry is on a 1 year deal with basically $1M guaranteed.  Lamarcus Joyner is on a 1 year, but $1.5 is guaranteed.  He and Jarrad Davis are on 1 year deals, but more likely to stick than Hardee, IMO

I was glad to see JD taking specials seriously. Also, he drafted a punter and having the best coverage team he can put on the field can only help that guy out, too. If he has a good or better season, I think they hold onto him for at least another year. The team doesn’t have any salary cap issues coming up. I think where Jarrad Davis is concerned, it’s going to come down to the market. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2021 at 10:52 AM, KRL said:

Also for those who will do this poll, Justin Hardee will definitely make this team as a CB.

His special teams ability is elite and there's no way he's getting cut

Completely agree! Hardee was clearly a priority signing for the Jets this offseason. With the way JD utilizes 1 year contracts, there was no way that he gave Hardee a 3 year deal @ something like 2.25mil a season if there was a chance in hell that he would be cut because of his deficiencies at CB. Regardless of how many CB they keep come final cuts, he is 100% guaranteed to make this roster, even if he's the last man on the depth chart. Honestly, whoever is kept as that last CB (I can't recall how many they kept last year), much like the last WR, it's typically someone that makes the final cut because of their ability on special teams. We already know Hardee is probably the best in the league at that regard. Usually our last CB is some 6th, 7th round pick we took that year. I'm more than happy with Hardee occupying that spot. Like mentioned in the article below, The Saints were never going to have luxury of signing a special teams ace with their cap situation. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/justin-hardee-jets-free-agent-signing-i-won-t-back-down

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-special-teamer-cb-justin-hardee

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I think we could easily see some surprises at this position just because of how much the desired/needed attributes for our CB's have changed with the new coaches and scheme. We used to need corners who could press and play man to allow the required blitzes from our old scheme to get pressure. Whereas now it sounds like they want guys who are stronger in zone. Bless stuck around and did pretty well being forced to start on a talentless roster (especially for where he was drafted) but I wonder if his talents and size aren't the same benefits in the new scheme, so I agree with the poster that said he could end up being a cut. With the way he flashed everyday in camp, I wouldn't be surprised if Dunn ended up taking his roster spot. 

I know our CB position has little to no known talent and is filled entirely with question marks and potential. TBH, I'm fine with going into this season with all the young guys and giving what we have every opportunity to see if we can hit on any of that potential. I want no part in signing another QB off the street. I always looked at CB as a position that would need to be prioritized next year, so I would rather go into this season and see if we have anything and know the extent of how it needs to be addressed next off season. Even if that means we run the risk of having a league worst CB group this year. I'm not expecting to make playoffs this year and quite honestly I'm prioritizing player development and evaluating what we have for this rebuild over spending money on a bandaid that might make out unit a little better this year while keeping a young guy on the bench. Throw em all out there and let's sink or swim. At least come next off season we'll know if we have a potential long term solution already on roster. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

There are currently 18 defensive backs on the Jets roster (12 CBs and 6 Safeties)

Assuming the Jets keep 10 total - they might keep 11, but we'll say 10 to make it harder, which of the listed players will be on the opening day active roster?

Sorry, but I had to pick 11. Justin Hardee is making the team but not as a DB

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Completely agree! Hardee was clearly a priority signing for the Jets this offseason. With the way JD utilizes 1 year contracts, there was no way that he gave Hardee a 3 year deal @ something like 2.25mil a season if there was a chance in hell that he would be cut because of his deficiencies at CB. Regardless of how many CB they keep come final cuts, he is 100% guaranteed to make this roster, even if he's the last man on the depth chart. Honestly, whoever is kept as that last CB (I can't recall how many they kept last year), much like the last WR, it's typically someone that makes the final cut because of their ability on special teams. We already know Hardee is probably the best in the league at that regard. Usually our last CB is some 6th, 7th round pick we took that year. I'm more than happy with Hardee occupying that spot. Like mentioned in the article below, The Saints were never going to have luxury of signing a special teams ace with their cap situation. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/justin-hardee-jets-free-agent-signing-i-won-t-back-down

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-special-teamer-cb-justin-hardee

Earlier in the thread I admitted that his contract means he probably sticks. He's got a $750k roster bonus and $1M guaranteed for this year.  It is not the kind of 3 year deal any GM would shy away from.  There are no guarantees past year 1.  Douglas doesn't love 1 year deals, he just loves (as any GM would) not having any money tied up for future years.  They tried very hard to lock Morgan Moses up for an extra year.  He refused.  I'm sure if Jarrad Davis or Lamarcus Joyner would have signed extended deals with no guaranteed money past year one he'd have locked them up too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

dylan

dylan

dylan

dylan

dylan

dylan

dylan

dylan

dylan

dylan

Now that's a roster that spits hot fire.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2021 at 7:30 PM, rangerous said:

i almost thought the same but he did show some good ability his first year.  it could be the coaching change will improve his play.

He is also a big corner that tackles well and hits hard.   Might be a candidate to play safety if they think his coverage skills arent adequate.   That said, I think he starts at CB

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

He is also a big corner that tackles well and hits hard.   Might be a candidate to play safety if they think his coverage skills arent adequate.   That said, I think he starts at CB

I thought the idea was that they didn't need man cover skills and that is why he wasn't such a great fit?  I think they will dump guys that make the wrong reads ( like he did against Pittsburgh his rookie year)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...