Jets should draft Clarrett . . .

raffyD

Draft him with the 7th round pick the vikes gave us. He's going to be a major project but I think learning from a guy like c-mart may be how clarrett turns into the force everyone thought he was going to be two years ago.

BTW, I'm new to the board and just wanted to say hi to everyone. #-o

Draft him with the 7th round pick the vikes gave us. He's going to be a major project but I think learning from a guy like c-mart may be how clarrett turns into the force everyone thought he was going to be two years ago.

BTW, I'm new to the board and just wanted to say hi to everyone. #-o

RaffyD welcome to the site -I have to respectfully disagree with you on Clarett though- he has shown his baggage to be lazy and with a bad attitude. If we were going to pick a back in the draft there so much better guys to take IMO

They're saying that he may not even be drafted unless he has a decent private workout at his HS. I do agree with Fabo though that there are a lot of good projects at RB in the draft w/o the baggage of clarrett, but at the same time I can't help but think that all the scouts had it right the first time, i.e. that he is going to be a force. And with the proper mentoring I still think its possible because he is so young and everyone can be stupid when they are young. Either way we still need an OT.

They're saying that he may not even be drafted unless he has a decent private workout at his HS. I do agree with Fabo though that there are a lot of good projects at RB in the draft w/o the baggage of clarrett, but at the same time I can't help but think that all the scouts had it right the first time, i.e. that he is going to be a force. And with the proper mentoring I still think its possible because he is so young and everyone can be stupid when they are young. Either way we still need an OT.

RaffyD welcome to the site -I have to respectfully disagree with you on Clarett though

the manners on this site are amazing. how long will this last?

as far as clarret goes, i agree with you faba. too much baggage. jets don't need that type of distraction for a marginal talent.

the manners on this site are amazing. how long will this last?

as far as clarret goes, i agree with you faba. too much baggage. jets don't need that type of distraction for a marginal talent.

We are here to discuss and have some fun and entertainment with a show of class and not to insult others no matter who you root for-in my opinion let some other team take a big chance on Clarett-we do not have to take that chance.

Two years ago they had clarrett getting drafted in the 1st round. I agree we don't need him, for now. But c-mart is going to give us two more years max and they will not be at the level of production to date. I'm thinking about the future and the risk is minimal given we have the extra 7th rounder.

Take a guy in the 7th that was once considered a 1st, no brainer.

if the draft was 30 rounds long i wouldn't even use a 30th round pick on Maurice Clarett - that's how badly he sucks -

How do you garner such knowledge??? Because he had a bad day at the combine? That's not enough for me since the combine stats have consistently proven wrong. Remember, it was one bad day. Regardless, I'm more concerned with the OT situation anyway. No one will be running the ball if we don't get our hands on one of the stud OT's this year because the other boys are getting old.

How do you garner such knowledge??? Because he had a bad day at the combine? That's not enough for me since the combine stats have consistently proven wrong. Remember, it was one bad day.

i don't care about his times (which were pitiful)

what pissed me off (and im sure many scouts) is the fact that he got pouty and quit his workout after his poor 40 times - he could have done positional drills, jumps, cone drills, shuttles etc - but no at the first sign of adversity he pulled in the tentpoles and acted like a little baby bitch.

if he can't keep his head on straight after a rough 40 time, what's he gonna do when he fumbles on national TV? shoot himself?

he's a bum with no character - he will go undrafted and deservedly so.

Two years ago they had clarrett getting drafted in the 1st round. I agree we don't need him, for now. But c-mart is going to give us two more years max and they will not be at the level of production to date. I'm thinking about the future and the risk is minimal given we have the extra 7th rounder.

Take a guy in the 7th that was once considered a 1st, no brainer.

I agree with raffy.

If he is still there in the 7th, take a flyer on him.

All you folks who talk about his poor attitude, lack of work ethic and poor motivation seem to be forgeting that "supposedly" those are the strengths of your overated HC. :wink:

Maurice was a good college back for one year. He had great vision, balance and moves.

Alot like Emmitt Smith in that respect.

If I were Maurice, I would hope not to get drafted. Rather than get picked in The 7th round.

Here's what you do, You sign as an undrafted free agent with a team that has an opening for backup RB.

Say, Like a Cleveland or a San Fransisco.

Maurice has so many mistakes since his college career ended abruptly. He's going to have to earn his way into The NFL the hard way.

As far as The Jets go... Pass..... He can't return kicks so he brings nothing to the table as a 3rd HB.

Can't believe I agree with TX, but it's true. Herm is our HC, he's not that bright but what he can do is motivate and preach a good sermon (and possibly grill a decent wing). Well, if that's all he's good for then he should be the one to tap into the potential of clarrett. Then again, Jane Abe wouldn't suit up for him. I'm still pissed about that, hurt or not hurt you get a darn cortisone shot or whatever they give and put your pads on. Now there's your quitter, and he stands to make 6.7M! I'm talking about a guy that would be collecting the minimum.

Can't believe I agree with TX, but it's true. Herm is our HC, he's not that bright but what he can do is motivate and preach a good sermon (and possibly grill a decent wing). Well, if that's all he's good for then he should be the one to tap into the potential of clarrett. Then again, Jane Abe wouldn't suit up for him. I'm still pissed about that, hurt or not hurt you get a darn cortisone shot or whatever they give and put your pads on. Now there's your quitter, and he stands to make 6.7M! I'm talking about a guy that would be collecting the minimum.

If it rains tommorow here in New York. I am going to blame Herman Edwards.

All you folks who talk about his poor attitude, lack of work ethic and poor motivation seem to be forgeting that "supposedly" those are the strengths of your overated HC. :wink:

you can only motivate a player to his potential. even at ohio state it's not like he was ripping off 80 yard runs like the kid from oklahoma.

i don't see how herm can be overrated, he is what he is but nobody is comparing him to the alltime great hc's.

I forget his name, but there was someone on the radio down here that gave a different view of Clarett. It might have been Gil Brandt or Chris Landry, but I am not sure. I don't remember.

He mentioned that Clarett did indeed train very hard for the Combine, but had no supervision. He pretty much trained on his own, and was aware how important his 40 times would be.

Basically out of football for two years, this kid was training for his life. His future. The caller went on to mention that Clarett was fully aware of how much was made of his size and how out of shape he looked, so he actually put on too much muscle, trying to be as buff as possible. This added weight did not help his times at all.

He went on to mention that Clarett traveled to Indianapolis on his own, and trained up until the night of the Combines. He could not sleep, and became obsessed with training.

Bad move.

The caller did mention that Clarett did a real disservice to himself by quitting, but he did understand his mindset. This is really your one shot to make it, after training extremely hard for 9 months, and you blow it.

I myself, do not defend Clarett. In fact, I was dead set against the Jets or Bears going after him, but after hearing that story, I've changed my mind. I would be open to him coming here, because of Herm and Mike Heimerdinger. No, I would not use a high pick on him, but what would a 6th or 7th hurt? Clarett has ability, and Heimer would not let him slack off one bit. If he doesn't perform, cut his ass.

I think because of Clarett's track record, that his quitting makes him look even worse. That is a red flag, but I too can understand how down he must have felt. Forty times can make or break you, and he is a kid. He needs to be stronger mentally. He needs guidance. He had no supervision, and I know, this is football, butnot everyone is the same. He has made bad chocies, but it seemed like he was finally doing the right thing, only to have it blow up in his face.

Sorry for rambling, but I wouldn't mind trying. Low risk, high reward sounds good to me.

I forget his name, but there was someone on the radio down here that gave a different view of Clarett. It might have been Gil Brandt or Chris Landry, but I am not sure. I don't remember.

He mentioned that Clarett did indeed train very hard for the Combine, but had no supervision. He pretty much trained on his own, and was aware how important his 40 times would be.

Basically out of football for two years, this kid was training for his life. His future. The caller went on to mention that Clarett was fully aware of how much was made of his size and how out of shape he looked, so he actually put on too much muscle, trying to be as buff as possible. This added weight did not help his times at all.

He went on to mention that Clarett traveled to Indianapolis on his own, and trained up until the night of the Combines. He could not sleep, and became obsessed with training.

Bad move.

The caller did mention that Clarett did a real disservice to himself by quitting, but he did understand his mindset. This is really your one shot to make it, after training extremely hard for 9 months, and you blow it.

I myself, do not defend Clarett. In fact, I was dead set against the Jets or Bears going after him, but after hearing that story, I've changed my mind. I would be open to him coming here, because of Herm and Mike Heimerdinger. No, I would not use a high pick on him, but what would a 6th or 7th hurt? Clarett has ability, and Heimer would not let him slack off one bit. If he doesn't perform, cut his a$$.

I think because of Clarett's track record, that his quitting makes him look even worse. That is a red flag, but I too can understand how down he must have felt. Forty times can make or break you, and he is a kid. He needs to be stronger mentally. He needs guidance. He had no supervision, and I know, this is football, butnot everyone is the same. He has made bad chocies, but it seemed like he was finally doing the right thing, only to have it blow up in his face.

Sorry for rambling, but I wouldn't mind trying. Low risk, high reward sounds good to me.

That was Todd McShay and that was the biggest pile of sh*t I've heard in a loooong time. McSHay is an absolute idiot. Like Clarett, who showed up at the combine completely coached up to look like he wasn't a sociopath, didn't have any contact with omeone to get his body in shape? Clarett, as lazy an a$$hole as there ever was at Ohio State, just all of a sudden hit the weights every day unsupervised? Gimme a break. McShay is another one of those guys who lets agents push him around.

He played ONE YEAR of college football. ONE INJURY PRONE YEAR.

Yet people remain all over his jock two years later. He has given no one a reason to draft him in two years. Bad attitude, poor character, slow and fat, injury risk. I wouldn't even touch this cancer with a UDFA.

But he deserves it 100% for quitting at the combine. But I guess I was sold by that story because it just makes sense that he possibly did not train properly, bulked up too much and then f'ed up his 40 time. I am really looking forward to the draft, I think Cleveland or San Fran take him in the 6th round.

Archived