Quinnen Williams young NY Jets star set for huge year in Robert Saleh's defense

NFL rumors: Young Jets star set for ‘huge year’ in Robert Saleh’s defense

Updated 10:28 AM; Today 10:28 AM 

Will Quinnen Williams have a breakout season for the Jets in 2021?AP

By James Kratch | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Quinnen Williams is ready to break out.

At least one NFL decision-maker expects the Jets’ third-year defensive tackle to make a major leap in head coach Robert Saleh’s defensive scheme.

“He’s going to have a huge year. They had him in that two-gap scheme, but Robert will just have him attacking,” an NFC executive told ESPN. “He’s good enough to jump a gap and get back in a gap. Teams have to scheme for him more than most.”

The Williams comment came as ESPN was surveying the league to rank the top-10 defensive tackles in the sport. Williams did not make that cut, but was among the other names that came up. 

Williams, who was the No. 3 pick in the 2019 draft out of Alabama, started 13 games last season with 7.5 sacks, 14 quarterback hits and 55 tackles (10 for a loss). His name was bounced around in trade rumors earlier this year, but the Jetshave indicated he is part of their plan for the future.

Williams had surgery to repair a broken foot in May, but he is expected to be ready for training camp.

“It could have been worse, because those types of injuries are injuries that it is just something that eventually was going to happen so for it to happen now so they can get him fixed and be ready for training camp rather than it happening in training camp and now he’s missing half the season,” Saleh said at the time of the procedure.

“The timing of it all was good. You never want to see a young man get hurt, but especially in our first year to get him to understand how we play -- especially up front -- which will be different for him. The fact he will ready for training camp is still positive.”

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

could be the year he breaks out and goes for a new contract.  the guy is good but too often the really good players seem to move on to greener pastures once go for their new contracts.  it's kind of tough because fans have long term loyalty but players don't seem to develop the same loyalty to the teams they play for.

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

could be the year he breaks out and goes for a new contract.  the guy is good but too often the really good players seem to move on to greener pastures once go for their new contracts.  it's kind of tough because fans have long term loyalty but players don't seem to develop the same loyalty to the teams they play for.

Fans don't have long term loyalty to the players.

"He's not worth the money, take a pay cut or cut him.  He's hurt, cut him."   You hear that stuff all the time. 

Q should break out this year, he was a 21 year old kid, who was hurt his first year playing under a terrible coaching staff.  Now, he's older, stronger, and playing in a better defensive scheme.  If he stays healthy, 100% he should have 10-12 sacks and be in a pro bowl.

• Upvote 4
50 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Fans don't have long term loyalty to the players.

"He's not worth the money, take a pay cut or cut him.  He's hurt, cut him."   You hear that stuff all the time. 

Q should break out this year, he was a 21 year old kid, who was hurt his first year playing under a terrible coaching staff.  Now, he's older, stronger, and playing in a better defensive scheme.  If he stays healthy, 100% he should have 10-12 sacks and be in a pro bowl.

yep, that's said quite a bit but i also think that fans do want to see the same players and root for them.  look at guys like ira from staten island (?).  they always pulled for the players even when they were injured.  i've got 50+ years rooting for the jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

So we stay loyal to the trade for picks and get 3 firsts?

The practice of trading away and giving up on #1 draft picks has to stop. 

It hasn't worked for us the last 51 years. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
On 7/6/2021 at 7:19 PM, jgb said:

His contract extension is going to kill our cap

After this post, every post has been about money, his next contract, or possible trade compensation.

• Haha 1

Every article from last month to opening day kickoff:

• Best shape of his career
  • Due to have a big year
  • Steal of the draft to surprise many
  • Having an outstanding camp
  • Looks to bounce back from off year
  • Seventh round pick to show everyone that he should have been drafted in the sixth
  • Working with offensive guru to fix footwork that hasn't been fixed over last three seasons
  • Guy with seven sacks two years ago looks to have a big season after total knee replacement
  • Fat defensive tackle loses 7 lbs but put on 5 lbs of muscle. Sack total to go from 1.5 to 3.
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I think he's way better. 

I've always enjoyed the comparison but QW isn't Warren Sapp, just yet.

Sapp won a Defensive Player of the Year award, 4x First-team All-Pro, 2x Second-team All-Pro, 7x Pro Bowler and led TBs Defense to a 2002 SB with one of the top 5-10 NFL D's of All-Time and I remember that Defense like crazy because my family moved from Queens to Tampa Bay (St. Petersburg) towards the end of 1998 and in 2002 my friends couldn't stop raving about that Defense especially Warren Sapp. 

I'm a natural born homer and although I do believe that QW is the next WS, I can't claim he's better, at least not just yet however come 2021-2022 us Jets fans will finally witness QWs true potential and true ability now that he's coming back home to his natural Alabama position @ 4-3 DT. 

Gregg Williams had no right playing this kid as a space eating 3-4 NT; it was criminal.

• Upvote 2

No doubt Quinnen has the talent. I don’t know if he has the killer instincts Sapp did. Quinnen might be too nice. Big year ahead. Much shall be revealed. 

26 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Quinnen Williams is the NFL's next version of Warren Sapp:

First and foremost I'm expecting for Quinnen Williams to feast again come 2021 (as he feasted in 2020) but this year to dominate the trenches like never before; now that he's (finally) returned home to his natural playing position of 4-3 DT.

(forcing him into a 3-4 space eating NT position was imo criminal).

Coming out of Alabama (as a 4-3 DT) many of draft experts predicted him to become the NFL's next version of Warren Sapp (4-3 DT) but unfortunately for Quinnen Williams he was forced into a 3-4 NT position; which is an absolute waste of a landing spot for a player with QW's combination of insane athleticism and unreal quickness.

Warren Sapp6'2 - 300 lbs. 

(1995-1996 combined).

31 games played.

22 starts.

20 assisted tackles.

58 solo tackles.

78 combined total tackles.

12.0 sacks.

2 fumbles forced.

1 fumble recovery.

VS.

Quinnen Williams: 6'3 - 303 lbs. 

(2019-2020 combined):

26 games played.

22 starts.

36 assisted tackles.

47 solo tackles.

83 combined total tackles..

9.5 sacks.

2 fumbles forced.

1 fumble recovery.

What does this tell me?

J.) The experts who mocked QW coming out of Alabama as the NFL's next Warren Sapp within the makings seem to have been accurate within their assessments.

E) Because what Williams' has been able to do during his first two seasons have been even more impressive than Sapp's first two seasons because despite their statistical numbers being damn near identical; it's much harder to dominate within the trenches as a run stuffer while also pass rushing QBs @ 3-4 NT, than it is to do the same as @ 4-3 DT.

T.) Quinnen Williams is going to become physically unstoppable within a Robert Saleh led 4-3 Defense @ 4-3 DT and is on the verge of taking the league by storm (as a QBs worst nightmare).

S.) Warren Sapp never made his first Pro Bowl until year #3 and never made his first All-Pro team until year #5; and I'm expecting Quinnen Williams to accomplish both accolades here in 2021 (during year #3).

J-E-T-S Jets Jets JETS!

7.5 minutes of pure dominance.

Wow, did that one well without over doing it. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Wow, did that one well without over doing it. 

Yeah man. I want to try and focus on being a better poster so I can actually enjoy my Football season this year because there's been too many years I've been suspended from JN even banned many years ago and forced to post @ TGG (I hate that place it was hell for me over the past 1 month and it's like a ghost town compared to JN with like 12 posters most being from the fkn UK soccer boys). I appreciate JN a lot I'd be lost as a Jets fan in Florida without it so this year I want to stick around with Zach and Saleh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-season-one-potential-first-time-pro-bowler-from-each-afc-team

2021 NFL season: One potential first-time Pro Bowler from each AFC team

Published: Jul 07, 2021 at 08:17 AM

Headshot_Author_Marc_Sessler_1400x1000

Marc Sessler

Around the NFL Writer

New York Jets
New York Jets

Quinnen Williams
Quinnen Williams
DL · Year 3

Largely lost in the fog of a hideous autumn for Gang Green was a bona fide sophomore breakout for Williams. Dishing out disruption one Sunday after the next, the former Alabama star grew into a run-stuffing bully who also badgered quarterbacks to the tune of seven sacks. Every player on the roster sits in a better place under new coach Robert Saleh, but the man crush between these two is real. "I'm a huge, huge Robert Saleh fan," Williams said during minicamp, while Saleh offered this: "I absolutely love Quinnen." Two peas in a pod!

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yeah man. I want to try and focus on being a better poster so I can actually enjoy my Football season this year because there's been too many years I've been suspended from JN even banned many years ago and forced to post @ TGG (I hate that place it was hell for me over the past 1 month and it's like a ghost town compared to JN with like 12 posters most being from the fkn UK soccer boys). I appreciate JN a lot I'd be lost as a Jets fan in Florida without it so this year I want to stick around with Zach and Saleh.

Stick to defense, it’s your jam. Offense turns you into  a maniac. Stay in your lane! 

• Haha 4
On 7/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, jgb said:

This is the exact player you extend and pay...guy like him are th reason you don't pay overloaded contracts to vets ..you literally are waiting for a draft pick to hit at an premium position. It's not that he will cost a lot is that our roster spends money on elite guys like him. This is the way

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Quinnen Williams is the NFL's next version of Warren Sapp:

First and foremost I'm expecting for Quinnen Williams to feast again come 2021 (as he feasted in 2020) but this year to dominate the trenches like never before; now that he's (finally) returned home to his natural playing position of 4-3 DT.

(forcing him into a 3-4 space eating NT position was imo criminal).

Coming out of Alabama (as a 4-3 DT) many of draft experts predicted him to become the NFL's next version of Warren Sapp (4-3 DT) but unfortunately for Quinnen Williams he was forced into a 3-4 NT position; which is an absolute waste of a landing spot for a player with QW's combination of insane athleticism and unreal quickness.

Warren Sapp6'2 - 300 lbs. 

(1995-1996 combined).

31 games played.

22 starts.

20 assisted tackles.

58 solo tackles.

78 combined total tackles.

12.0 sacks.

2 fumbles forced.

1 fumble recovery.

VS.

Quinnen Williams: 6'3 - 303 lbs. 

(2019-2020 combined):

26 games played.

22 starts.

36 assisted tackles.

47 solo tackles.

83 combined total tackles..

9.5 sacks.

2 fumbles forced.

1 fumble recovery.

What does this tell me?

J.) The experts who mocked QW coming out of Alabama as the NFL's next Warren Sapp within the makings seem to have been accurate within their assessments.

E) Because what Williams' has been able to do during his first two seasons have been even more impressive than Sapp's first two seasons because despite their statistical numbers being damn near identical; it's much harder to dominate within the trenches as a run stuffer while also pass rushing QBs @ 3-4 NT, than it is to do the same as @ 4-3 DT.

T.) Quinnen Williams is going to become physically unstoppable within a Robert Saleh led 4-3 Defense @ 4-3 DT and is on the verge of taking the league by storm (as a QBs worst nightmare).

S.) Warren Sapp never made his first Pro Bowl until year #3 and never made his first All-Pro team until year #5; and I'm expecting Quinnen Williams to accomplish both accolades here in 2021 (during year #3).

J-E-T-S Jets Jets JETS!

7.5 minutes of pure dominance.

I think it's almost fair to say what Quinnen has done in the better part of only half of his first 2 seasons! You put up totals through first 2 years but Quinnen looked like a total flop his first year and (much to making me 110% wrong on him!) worked his ass off and improved in a huge way year 2. I think the fact that he was largely invisible year one and put together most of his 2 year totals during just the second year makes those totals you listed look even more impressive. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I think it's almost fair to say what Quinnen has done in the better part of only half of his first 2 seasons! You put up totals through first 2 years but Quinnen looked like a total flop his first year and (much to making me 110% wrong on him!) worked his ass off and improved in a huge way year 2. I think the fact that he was largely invisible year one and put together most of his 2 year totals during just the second year makes those totals you listed look even more impressive. 

Yeah man. Same goes for Warren Sapp too. He made an even bigger leap in year two because his rookie season was worse than QWs rookie year. 

PS: I'm not the one who created this QW to WS comparison I just remember a couple of draft guru guys on TV kept saying he's the next Sapp and those words have stuck with me.

No one can be 100% perfect @ predictions but sometimes it amazes me how spot on some of these guys are with their player comparisons. Sometimes they're so accurate it's scary. 

I will say this. QWs first two years are way more impressive because Sapp was a 4-3 DT from day one while QW has been placed out of position as a freaking space eating 3-4 NT. It's been criminal. 

This year season #3 we'll finally see the real QW. Like @ Alabama. Returning to playmaker 4-3 DT. I'm anxious to watch man. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
19 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep, that's said quite a bit but i also think that fans do want to see the same players and root for them.  look at guys like ira from staten island (?).  they always pulled for the players even when they were injured.  i've got 50+ years rooting for the jets.

I agree, fans want the players to do well, no fan wants their players to suck.

However, even on this forum, how often do you see fans ripping on players, saying to cut them to save a bit of cap space?  Or trade a player if there is a chance of an upgrade at the position?  That's the sport, but I don't think you should expect huge player loyalty to a team.  I have no issues with a player negotiating to get as much money as he can in a contract, as most of them will only get 1 true shot at free agency.

That being said, when you sign a contract, you should honor it.  Further, if you are a QB, and insist on getting max money, you shouldn't complain when the team puts less talent around you, since you are taking up close to 20% of the team's cap.  QB is the one position I think is better served taking a little less money, to have better protection around them. 

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, chirorob said:

I agree, fans want the players to do well, no fan wants their players to suck.

However, even on this forum, how often do you see fans ripping on players, saying to cut them to save a bit of cap space?  Or trade a player if there is a chance of an upgrade at the position?  That's the sport, but I don't think you should expect huge player loyalty to a team.  I have no issues with a player negotiating to get as much money as he can in a contract, as most of them will only get 1 true shot at free agency.

That being said, when you sign a contract, you should honor it.  Further, if you are a QB, and insist on getting max money, you shouldn't complain when the team puts less talent around you, since you are taking up close to 20% of the team's cap.  QB is the one position I think is better served taking a little less money, to have better protection around them. 

yep.  i know i certainly don't know the machinations that go on behind the salary cap.  i'm sure most fans don't. but i also see our fans mostly voicing their cut opinions on players that are deemed to be jags.  i know everyone wants an all star at every position but the bulk of the team still has to jags because, face it, that's what the bulk of nfl players are.  the salary cap structure prevents easy entry for many of these guys into the high salary ranges.

• Upvote 2
On 7/7/2021 at 2:24 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Every article from last month to opening day kickoff:

• Best shape of his career
  • Due to have a big year
  • Steal of the draft to surprise many
  • Having an outstanding camp
  • Looks to bounce back from off year
  • Seventh round pick to show everyone that he should have been drafted in the sixth
  • Working with offensive guru to fix footwork that hasn't been fixed over last three seasons
  • Guy with seven sacks two years ago looks to have a big season after total knee replacement
  • Fat defensive tackle loses 7 lbs but put on 5 lbs of muscle. Sack total to go from 1.5 to 3.

What's your point?

On 7/7/2021 at 3:56 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

I've always enjoyed the comparison but QW isn't Warren Sapp, just yet.

Sapp won a Defensive Player of the Year award, 4x First-team All-Pro, 2x Second-team All-Pro, 7x Pro Bowler and led TBs Defense to a 2002 SB with one of the top 5-10 NFL D's of All-Time and I remember that Defense like crazy because my family moved from Queens to Tampa Bay (St. Petersburg) towards the end of 1998 and in 2002 my friends couldn't stop raving about that Defense especially Warren Sapp. 

I'm a natural born homer and although I do believe that QW is the next WS, I can't claim he's better, at least not just yet however come 2021-2022 us Jets fans will finally witness QWs true potential and true ability now that he's coming back home to his natural Alabama position @ 4-3 DT. 

Gregg Williams had no right playing this kid as a space eating 3-4 NT; it was criminal.

Tip #5,213 on being a better poster. Stop going to Wikipedia to quote stats and accomplishments of players most of us actually watched play. And if some other youngster isn't sure who Warren Sapp or Darrelle Revis or John Riggins was, let them do their own research.  

It just bogs down your posts and make you sound like a 16 year old kid who thinks he discovered some obscure thing that everyone over 40 has known about for decades. 

You're welcome.  

On 7/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, jgb said:

At some point you have to give out second contracts to players who have earned it. If he has a big year why not? We have been winning the cap space battle for a while now, hasn't lined up with wins though.

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

At some point you have to give out second contracts to players who have earned it. If he has a big year why not? We have been winning the cap space battle for a while now, hasn't lined up with wins though.

The cap though. Let’s trade for draft picks

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Tip #5,213 on being a better poster. Stop going to Wikipedia to quote stats and accomplishments of players most of us actually watched play. And if some other youngster isn't sure who Warren Sapp or Darrelle Revis or John Riggins was, let them do their own research.  

It just bogs down your posts and make you sound like a 16 year old kid who thinks he discovered some obscure thing that everyone over 40 has known about for decades. 

You're welcome.  

You should tell that to all the mock draft experts who "did their own research" and raved about QW becoming the next Warren Sapp 24/7 ala so I guess they were just a bunch of "16 year old kids who think they discovered some obscure thing that everyone over 40 has known about for decades" too. 

Here is my tip 101 for you on becoming a better poster. Stop going out of your little way to tell other longtime suffering fans on how to think, feel and talk up their favorite Jets player during a boring offseason.

"Your welcome". 

PS: I hate little hypocritical hypocrites (such as yourself) who run to Wiki in order to post stats and accomplishments of popular QBs who all of us actually watched play since @ Clemson...

Jet_Hypocrite_Engine1 said...

"Att:495C

Comp:335

Comp %: 67.3

Yards: 3,852

TDs: 26

Ints: 12W

What Stats are those? Those are DeShaun Watsons, in his statistically WORST year as Full Time starter, in 2019 (15 Games Played).That is his "floor". There is another board elsewhere on the internet where the posters are all saying Watson "isn't elite". LOL. Thats a joke. If Darnold had numbers even approaching those in the last 3 years, we'd be convinced we had our FQB. Those numbers represent Watsons FLOOR. Let that sink in. Watsons FLOOR is essentially what we HOPE is what Sam turns into. That's absurd. I've seen how Watsons playoff record of 1-2 has been criticized. In 2019, Watson playoff stats are:

2 Games, 635 yards (62% Comp), 8.2 YPA, 3 TDs, 0 picks, and 2 rushing TDs for a QBR of 104.6. Yeah, Watson wasn't the problem. LOL.

Wilson is an unknown.  Fields is meh. Lance is an enigma. Mac Jones and Kyle Trask have "Career Backup" written all over them. 

If its possible, for a not outlandish cost, its kind of a no-brainer" 

And that (above) is the guy who "hates people quoting stats like a 16 year old boy" lol.

147f1eaec3d1e6edc87337407ab2ec08.jpg.7eb6415c2b0ccabef6122a761a358012.jpg

13 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You should tell that to all the mock draft experts who "did their own research" and raved about QW becoming the next Warren Sapp 24/7 ala so I guess they were just a bunch of "16 year old kids who think they discovered some obscure thing that everyone over 40 has known about for decades" too. 

Here is my tip 101 for you on becoming a better poster. Stop going out of your little way to tell other longtime suffering fans on how to think, feel and talk up their favorite Jets player during a boring offseason.

"Your welcome". 

PS: I hate little hypocritical hypocrites (such as yourself) who run to Wiki in order to post stats and accomplishments of popular QBs who all of us actually watched play since @ Clemson...

Jet_Hypocrite_Engine1 said..."

Att:495C

Comp:335

Comp %: 67.3

Yards: 3,852

TDs: 26

Ints: 12W

What Stats are those? Those are DeShaun Watsons, in his statistically WORST year as Full Time starter, in 2019 (15 Games Played).That is his "floor". There is another board elsewhere on the internet where the posters are all saying Watson "isn't elite". LOL. Thats a joke. If Darnold had numbers even approaching those in the last 3 years, we'd be convinced we had our FQB. Those numbers represent Watsons FLOOR. Let that sink in. Watsons FLOOR is essentially what we HOPE is what Sam turns into. That's absurd. I've seen how Watsons playoff record of 1-2 has been criticized. In 2019, Watson playoff stats are:

2 Games, 635 yards (62% Comp), 8.2 YPA, 3 TDs, 0 picks, and 2 rushing TDs for a QBR of 104.6. Yeah, Watson wasn't the problem. LOL.

Wilson is an unknown.  Fields is meh. Lance is an enigma. Mac Jones and Kyle Trask have "Career Backup" written all over them. 

If its possible, for a not outlandish cost, its kind of a no-brainer" 

147f1eaec3d1e6edc87337407ab2ec08.jpg.7eb6415c2b0ccabef6122a761a358012.jpg

Have a good day hypocrite, I mean sir. 

you really need to find a way to pull in the extreme ends of your mood swings back to center mass

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, jgb said:

you really need to find a way to pull in the extreme ends of your mood swings back to center mass

Sigh.  He never learns does he.  All this talk about turning over a new leaf.  But still the same old DWC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Nah bruh. I'm not going to let a hypocrite attack me for me being a fan. Did you not read what he said to me following the post I quoted him on? 

Get off my back and get on his.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sigh.  He never learns does he.  All this talk about turning over a new leaf.  But still the same old DWC.

I wouldn't have responded and made that post without Jets_Engine1 jumping down my offseason throat, now would I have? No.

I logged into JN to read about my favorite team only to get an alert from some punk calling me out over a post I put my own time and effort into in order to just have fun as a fan. I won't apologize for sticking up for myself.

Don't attack me for defending myself and don't bother me and I won't bother you.

Now go jump down his throat while you're at it. 

Have a good night.

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nah bruh. I'm not going to let a hypocrite attack me for me being a fan. Did you not read what he said to me following the post I quoted him on? 

Get off my back and get on his.

If Jet Engine constantly wrote long essays complete with lots of stats in them, you'd have a point.  Just because you were able to find a post several months ago where he talked up Deshaun Watson does not make him a hypocrite. 

Just accept the criticism and move on.  You were the one who talked about how much you like posting here and want to stick around.  It's on you to do better, not him.  You're the one effectively on probation, not Jet Engine.  Probably not wise to go down this path yet again.  

• Upvote 2