Jump to content

Which scenario do you prefer to see?


Offense versus defense  

90 members have voted

  1. 1. Which scenario do you prefer for 2021?

    • Jets top 8 ranked offense, bottom 5 ranked defense
      42
    • Offense and defense both ranked 16 or 17
      19
    • Jets #1 overall defense, #20 offense
      29


Recommended Posts

Difficult question but I vote for the top ranked defense which will give us more opportunities on offense to score and also when we  have  the lead late in games will be able to shut opponents down as opposed to having Wilson have to win it. He will have plenty of opportunities to win games during the course of his career 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Have the Jets ever had a top rated offense?   I think I'd enjoy finding out what it's like...

Rex always found some niche stat to say his defenses were #1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vote offense.  I've always said if we are gonna stink lets at least stink in more exciting fashion.  Being down two scores and essentially knowing the game is over is no fun at all.   Also means our QB might be good and that's the hardest piece of the puzzle to find as have all learned the hard way. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

From where they were... for me if we can achieve a competent O and D, then I am good for this year.  I want to see progress each and every week so that end of season teams will not want to play us.... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted top 8 ranked offense just because our future depends on Zach, if we’re top 8 things are looking WAY up and the defense will be fixable. I don’t understand why people are voting #1 defense and #20 offense, if you have the best defense in the league and still can’t manage to crack top 15 in offense then your offense must be awful because your defense will be getting you plenty of opportunities to move the ball. 
 

if you’re #1 on defense and #20 on offense then great ZW is Mark Sanchez. Maybe we can get a couple playoff runs in before we fizzle out once again into mediocrity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Have the Jets ever had a top rated offense?   I think I'd enjoy finding out what it's like...

Well we had the number 1 D in 2009 as far as offense we had the number 2 in 1968 but that was the AFL. Kenny O never did better then 7th in 1985 and Vinny was 5th in 98..And in the strike short season of 1982 we were 3rd..

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d rather be entertained with a 31-28 loss than a 19-10 loss.  I  want to feel entertained for the first time in years

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A bottom ranked defense means the Jets were playing from behind and the offensive stats are inflated.

A number one defense means the Jets found another pass rusher in either Huff, Zuniga or Hamilcar, that Sherwood or Nasirildeen  are legit WLB plus they found a legit corner (Pinnock) to play opposite of Hall. Ranked 20th offensively isn't bad considering they are expecting 4 rookies and 2 2nd year players to play prominent roles on this team. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

top defense.  20th ranked offense is still a damn sight better than what we've seen over the past 9 years.  it should be able to put more than 22 points per game up.  the top defense would surrender something around 17 or 18 so that a 4-5 point differential.  the 5th rated defense and 8 th offense is also compelling but if your not first you're last.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Claymation said:

A bottom ranked defense means the Jets were playing from behind and the offensive stats are inflated.

A number one defense means the Jets found another pass rusher in either Huff, Zuniga or Hamilcar, that Sherwood or Nasirildeen  are legit WLB plus they found a legit corner (Pinnock) to play opposite of Hall. Ranked 20th offensively isn't bad considering they are expecting 4 rookies and 2 2nd year players to play prominent roles on this team. 

I agree on these 2 posts. Look at the Rams..... that defense got them to the playoffs! 20th in points and #1 "D" would have us competing for a playoff spot considering our schedule.

Our Defense gave up 28.6 PPG while averaging only 15.2 PPG. Using the Rams 18.5 points allowed(#1) and Carolina's 21.9 points a game scored(#20).... we are in the playoffs!!

36 minutes ago, rangerous said:

top defense.  20th ranked offense is still a damn sight better than what we've seen over the past 9 years.  it should be able to put more than 22 points per game up.  the top defense would surrender something around 17 or 18 so that a 4-5 point differential.  the 5th rated defense and 8 th offense is also compelling but if your not first you're last.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an offensive league.  We have a rookie QB...

Defense is almost entirely irrelevant this season.  It's all about developing The ZW.  

Having a top 8 offense tells me he's getting it done.  That would be far more beneficial to longterm sustained success for this team.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming this isn't the result of injuries I'd rather have a top offense and a defense that can't keep up. That's not going to win a Super Bowl but games can be won in a shootout. It's also going to be easier to beef up the defensive roster with a good offense than the other way around. Top defensive talent will go to a team that can win games but top offensive talent won't go to teams built to win 13-10 as we saw pretty much from 2011 forward.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Well we had the number 1 D in 2009 as far as offense we had the number 2 in 1968 but that was the AFL. Kenny O never did better then 7th in 1985 and Vinny was 5th in 98..And in the strike short season of 1982 we were 3rd..

Yeah, the only time I can remember being #1 in anything was during the Rex years.  #1 D and #1 run game.  That's it.  So sad.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Hell of a lot better than 2-14

Well, yeah, but 9-7 isn't a strong argument.  Especially since the game has gotten even more offense-centric in the last 12 years.  

Last year, WFT was # 2 in defense on a yards per play basis and they went 7-9.  

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, yeah, but 9-7 isn't a strong argument.  Especially since the game has gotten even more offense-centric in the last 12 years.  

Last year, WFT was # 2 in defense on a yards per play basis and they went 7-9.  

I see it as not being a punchline anymore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I see it as not being a punchline anymore. 

A top 8 offense ranking would be a much better way to not be a punchline.  It's time to join the 21st century of football. 

No one wants to watch 16-13 games, and we've seen more than enough of those as Jets fans for a lifetime.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Im surprised by the poll results. A middle of the road offense is a leap forward Considering all the new pieces we have there, its reasonable to expect another leap forward  the following year. Middle of the pack defense probably tells us a linebacker and shutdown corner would jump us into the top ten a year later. A bottom ranked defense would worry me. Tells me that there's a lot of work to be done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

Vote offense.  I've always said if we are gonna stink lets at least stink in more exciting fashion.  Being down two scores and essentially knowing the game is over is no fun at all.   Also means our QB might be good and that's the hardest piece of the puzzle to find as have all learned the hard way. 

I hear what you’re saying, but would it be fun to have the top 8 offense score a go-ahead TD late in the 4th, just to have the bottom 5 defense give up the game winner in the final 2 minutes?  We’ve seen plenty of those types of finishes over the years, and I’m not a fan.

It’s not an exact science in this case, but the math says that the #1 D / #20 O is the best choice.  Those rankings average out to 10.5, where the other options average out in the teens, at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, yeah, but 9-7 isn't a strong argument.  Especially since the game has gotten even more offense-centric in the last 12 years.  

Last year, WFT was # 2 in defense on a yards per play basis and they went 7-9.  

WFT also had the 30th ranked offense, and still almost made the playoffs.  Bump their D up to #1 and their O up to #20, and they’re in.  Gimme some of that this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy question (no brainier). 

A top 8 ranked offense and a bottom 5 ranked defense

Because if we're to feature a top 8 offense and during only Zach Wilson's rookie season at that well then I believe that we'll (finally) have landed ourselves an awesome Franchise QB along with plenty of time, draft capital and available salary cap space needed in order to rebuild our defense (under coach Saleh). 

• 1998 was the last time as a fan base that we've experienced and witnessed a Jets offense that's ever ranked within the top 8 in either of offensive yardage and/or points scored.

So if Zach Wilson could pull this off and as only a Rookie QB too? I'd throw away my DWC username forever and birth the arrival of OWC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...