Former 1st-round pick N’Keal Harry requests trade from Patriots | 3 logical landing spots, including Eagles

Updated 2:43 PM; Today 2:43 PM 

New England Patriots wide receiver N'Keal Harry's agent asked for a trade on Tuesday.AP

By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Former first-round pick N’Keal Harry wants out of New England.

Sign up for Eagles Extra:  Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

Tuesday, Harry’s agent, Jamal Tooson, announced that he requested a trade for Harry from the Patriots (via NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo).

Below is Tooson’s statement:

“For the past several months, I have been working in cooperation with the Patriots behind the scenes to put a plan in place to allow N’Keal to thrive in New England. Through two seasons, he has 86 targets, which obviously hasn’t met the expectations the Patriots and N’Keal had when they drafted a dominant downfield threat who was virtually unstoppable at the point of attack in college.

“Following numerous conversations with the Patriots, I believe it’s time for a fresh start and best for both parties if N’Keal moves on before the start of training camp. That is why I have informed the Patriots today I am formally requesting a trade on behalf of my client.

“N’Keal understands a key ingredient to production is opportunity. He will continue to work hard to develop and refine his craft after missing a large portion of his rookie year to injury. His draft-day expectations for his NFL career have not changed. We are confident success is just around the corner for him and will aggressively pursue it.”

Harry was the 32nd overall pick in 2019. Listed as 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, Harry was considered an ideal red-zone weapon for New England, especially after he put up 22 touchdowns in three years at Arizona State.

However, so far, Harry’s career has been a disappointment. He has caught just 45 passes for 414 yards and four touchdowns over 21 games. 

While the Patriots might be willing to part ways with Harry -- who wants out -- other teams could view him as a worthwhile gamble for a Day 3 draft pick.

Here are three logical landing spots for Harry:

Eagles: Despite spending back-to-back first-round-round picks on wide receivers, the Eagles’ overall wideout depth chart leaves a lot to be desired. While DeVonta Smith and Jalen Reagor can create big plays with their speed, the Eagles could use a sure-fire X receiver on the outside. Harry could come in and compete with Travis Fulgham for the third starting wide receiver spot. The Eagles have three extra picks in next year’s draft, including a second fifth-round pick (via Washington), which might be enough to get a deal done.

RELATED: How Nick Sirianni came out of nowhere to become Eagles head coach | Black belts, Eagle Scouts and do-it-yourself ingenuity: Landon Dickerson’s journey to the NFL

Jaguars: While the Jaguars have added the likes of Marvin Jones and Laviska Shenault to their lineup over the past two years, the Jacksonville wide receiver group could use more complements for quarterback Trevor Lawrence and No. 1 wideout D.J. Chark. With a boatload of cap space and the need for notable playmakers, it would make sense for the Jaguars to take a flier on Harry.

Washington: Terry McLaurin and Curtis Samuel make for a dangerous tandem. However, adding someone like Harry to the offense would make the passing game more dynamic. With two years remaining on his deal -- and a fifth-year option also available -- Harry could be a long-term asset for Washington’s offense.

2 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

N'Keal Harry wants to be traded... I loved this guy when he came out .

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

He may be cut... I would not trade for him. 

N'Keal Harry highlighted as cut candidate for the New England Patriots (247sports.com)

N'Keal Harry highlighted as cut candidate for the New England Patriots

ByMATT HOWE 9 hours ago

With NFL training camps now on the horizon, teams will get one last chance to finalize their rosters and make necessary cuts before the 2021 season kicks off. In a recent ESPN article that details players on the roster bubble entering training camp for all 32 teams, ESPN NFL Nation reporter Mike Reiss pegged wide receiver N’Keal Harry as a possible cut for the Patriots.

“Calling a third-year player a veteran might be questionable, but Harry not only has a crowded depth chart ahead of him in Nelson Agholor, Jakobi Meyers and Kendrick Bourne, but also competition for the No. 4 or 5 role from others who seem to provide more value on special teams (such as Gunner Olszewski as a punt returner) or have a standout trait (such as Isaiah Zuber's speed),” Reiss wrote. “Harry's contract might help him stick around, as the Patriots would take a $2 million cap hit for letting him go. That could ultimately buy the 2019 first-round pick a bit more time to see if things turn around.”

Harry is set to enter his third year in the NFL after he was drafted by New England with the No. 32 overall pick in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft out of Arizona State. In two seasons, Harry has appeared in 21 games, totaling 45 receptions for 414 yards and four touchdowns.

Last year Harry saw significantly more time on the field, as his snap count was up from 19% as a rookie in 2019 to 58% in 2020. In 14 games and nine starts last season, Harry hauled in 33 passes for 309 yards and two touchdowns.

A three-year standout at Arizona State, Harry left the Sun Devils having caught 213 career passes for 2,889 yards and 22 touchdowns. His sophomore year in 2017 was his best season, totaling 82 catches for 1,142 yards and eight touchdowns.

Before Arizona State, Harry was a 247Sports Composite four-star recruit out of Chandler, Az. He was also the No. 53 ranked overall player and the No. 7 ranked wide receiver in the class of 2016.

Prior to the Patriots bringing back quarterback Cam Newton on a one-year contract for the 2021 season, Harry talked about how much he wanted to see Newton back and how much the veteran quarterback helped him out in 2020.

"He helped me so much throughout the season, not only on the field with football stuff but with off-the-field stuff, just more about being a professional, about life," said Harry. "He really helped me in all aspects of life last year, so I really do appreciate him for that. At the same time, he was a very fun person to play with. I would love to have him back and be able to play with him again.”

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

I'm hoping he doesn't say Mims.

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

Harry had 105 yards as a rookie.  With Tom Brady as his QB.  For a 12 win team.

Mims had 357 yards as a rookie.  COVID-19 year.  Darnold as his QB.  Gase as his HC/OC.  

Harry hasnt proven hes better than anyone 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Currently speaking I would say he's equal to Mims and Berrios statistics wise. 

Berrios and Mims each had more yardage than Harry last season.  

Berrios almost doubled in 2020 what Harry has put up for his career.  

Mims was within 50 yards of being able to say the same in his one season.

55 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

This would be a great point if not for the fact that you are completely and verifiably incorrect. 

Similar stats @BroadwayRay  @Jet Nut

Harry 

2019 7 games  12 catches 105 yards 2 TD 

2020 14 games  33 catches 309 yards 2 TD 

Mims 

2020 9 games 23 catches 357 yards 0 TD 

Berrios 

2019 16 games 6 catches 115 yards 0 TD 

2020 16 games 37 catches 394 yards 3 TD 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Similar stats @BroadwayRay  @Jet Nut

Harry 

2019 7 games  12 catches 105 yards 2 TD 

2020 14 games  33 catches 309 yards 2 TD 

Mims 

2020 9 games 23 catches 357 yards 0 TD 

Berrios 

2019 16 games 6 catches 115 yards 0 TD 

2020 16 games 37 catches 394 yards 3 TD 

What?  How?

Similar stats, Mims one season to Harrys two seasons?  One of those on a 12 win team lead by the GOAT.  Neither or those two seasons as good as Mims rookie year.  How does that make their stats similar?

In Berrios' two seasons he has 500+ yards, Harry 400+.  

Harry sucks.  You were wrong.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Similar stats Harry has 4 TDS both Berrios and Mims combined only 3. 

I never said he was good. 

Berrios was most a DTs player in year 1, Mims only has one season played

No, not similar stats.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Berrios was most a DTs player in year 1, Mims only has one season played

No, not similar stats.  

Very similar. 

Again I said he was decent I never said he was good. 

Berrios and Mims will have good seasons 2021 with a real QB.