Top 3 Favorites for Super Bowl LVI

Patrick Mahomes

The NFL pre-season is now in full swing. Teams are working on their fundamentals, game plans, and who will be on the 53-man roster when week one rolls around. At this time of year, many media outlets give out their super early Super Bowl predictions.

At the time of writing on sidelines.io, the Super Bowl odds are up and the NFL points spread today will be up closer to the start of the NFL season . At this stage of the year, every team believes they can win the biggest prize in football, however in reality there is more likely only a handful who can call themselves a genuine Super Bowl chance.

Luck and injuries will play a major part in determining who can make it to the playoffs and then who can go on and win the title and call themselves Super Bowl champions. So, who exactly are the current favorites to take on the title?

In this article, we are going to give you the three favorites to win Super Bowl 56.

Kansas City Chiefs (+500)

Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs are currently the bookmaker’s favorites to avenge their loss in last year’s Super Bowl to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Mahomes was left running for his life for the majority of the contest and the Bucs defense simply got after the NFL poster boy at will.

The Chiefs addressed what was their biggest weakness in the offseason as they strengthened their offensive line. Oklahoma center Creed Humphrey and Tennessee offensive guard Trey Smith were obtained from the 2021 NFL Draft guard while Andrew Wylie was signed on a one-year deal.

Shoring up the offensive line will no doubt help Mahomes out as he goes in search of his second Super Bowl win and with the weapons he has at his disposal in Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill, the Chiefs are a good bet to get back to America’s showpiece game.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+650)

After they dominated the Kansas City Chiefs in last year’s Super Bowl, many expected the Bucs to lose some of their stars. However, for Tom Brady and co, this was far from the truth. Just about every player who took the field in last year’s penultimate game was retained.

This gives Brady another superb chance to add to his list of Super Bowl victories which currently stands at an incredible seven. At their current odds, the Tampa Bay Bucs are good value for going back-to-back with Brady under center.

Buffalo Bills (+1300)

Having made it to the Conference Championship game last year, you can expect Josh Allen and the Bills to be around the mark again. Only losing to Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs by 14 points, the Bills will have a point to prove in 2021.

With what is considered a slam dunk division for them to win, the Bills will no doubt be making the playoffs. With players like Cole Beasley and Stefon Diggs, Allen and the Bills are great value Super Bowl pick for the upcoming season.

The post Top 3 Favorites for Super Bowl LVI appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/lNP8NUG82xE

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DET has been really, really awful the past 800 years or so.  Other than Megatron, Stafford really hasn't had much to work with.  In LA I think he will have the most talented roster he's ever seen.  I

Bills take a step back this year ( probably still a playoff team) but  Pats win  the division yet again. Sorry.

They have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL and an ancient QB who can't throw anymore. I think Pittsburgh is toast.  I would be surprised if they finish above .500

Posted Images

If Rodgers goes to DEN they would probably move way up.

But if I had to pick a 3rd choice after KC and TB, I think I might go with LAR.  I think Stafford could be electric there and it would be pretty cool to see.  I don't think anyone can beat KC in the AFC if they are healthy and that new OLine looks pretty promising.

• Upvote 3
14 hours ago, nycdan said:

If Rodgers goes to DEN they would probably move way up.

But if I had to pick a 3rd choice after KC and TB, I think I might go with LAR.  I think Stafford could be electric there and it would be pretty cool to see.  I don't think anyone can beat KC in the AFC if they are healthy and that new OLine looks pretty promising.

I think Stafford will be no better than Goff. He is a compiler not a winner.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

DET has been really, really awful the past 800 years or so.  Other than Megatron, Stafford really hasn't had much to work with.  In LA I think he will have the most talented roster he's ever seen.  I can't knock him for not carrying DET to great heights but now it's definitely time to establish his legacy.

I want to agree with this commentary.  Stafford has been really good on a trash team.  Hope he has gas in the tank.  Hard to believe he came out the same year as Sanchez.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

All available evidence says this is dead wrong.  Stafford "compiled"?  With a terrible Detroit organization?  Come on now.  Maybe sometimes he racked up yardage in garbage time in blowout losses, but that doesn't explain the totality of his career success to date.  He's put together 6 straight seasons with a 90+ QB Rating and 64+ completion %, 3 of the last 4 seasons he's put up 7.7+ YPA, 5 of the last 6 seasons he's had 10 INT or less, etc.  And Goff sucks.

It should also be telling that half the NFC West coaches, both of which have reached Super Bowls, openly coveted Stafford this past offseason, with the one who didn't get him still lamenting this, even with Garoppolo and Lance now both on the roster:

https://www.nfl.com/news/kyle-shanahan-to-sean-mcvay-on-matthew-stafford-trade-you-don-t-want-to-get-me-s

Kyle Shanahan to Sean McVay on Matthew Stafford trade: 'You don't want to get me started, dude'

Published: Jul 07, 2021 at 12:04 PM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

When the Los Angeles Rams made the blockbuster trade for Matthew Stafford, both the quarterback and coach Sean McVay were famously in Cabo. Another key NFLer was also in the area but had a different take on the trade of his division rival: Kyle Shanahan.

With the San Francisco 49ers milling around the possibility of trading for Stafford, Shanahan was studying up on the 32-year-old QB.

Shanahan was recently on the Flying Coach podcast with McVay and Peter Schrager. McVay ribbed Shanahan, asking the Niners coach how he liked the Rams' new addition.

"You don't want to get me started, dude," Shanahan responded. "That was frustrating. I was in Cabo. I was studying it all. ... I remember looking through it because everybody was telling me it was a possibility. Stafford's the man. I studied him hard coming out of college, and you always play against him, so you know how good he is. But to know he might be available and to spend two weeks really watching him, Sean, yeah, he's better than I realized. He was the man. He's actually underrated to me. I know how good of a guy you got. I know how good he is at play-action. I know how smart he is. Not only does he just have a big arm, but he's got touch, he knows where to go with the ball. So I was trying to get involved in it.

"... I remember Saturday I was so stressed out and finally we talked to someone, it was seven at night, and they're like, 'No, nothing's happening (with a trade) at the earliest until tomorrow, so you can finish your night.' So I'm like, alright, I'm done. I put my phone down, talk to Mandy. I'm like, alright, 'Let's go out to dinner, let's have some drinks.' Half an hour later, my buddy calls me and is like, 'I'm just telling ya, if you want Stafford, you need to get a hold of him right now.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? We just talked to people. I can sleep on this. We'll talk to them tomorrow.' 'I'm just telling you, you need to talk to him right now.' And then it was all over."

"If it makes you feel any better, it came together faster than I thought, too, Kyle," McVay replied.

"The fact I was in Cabo, man, I would have been there, and I would have made it really awkward on you two to enjoy it," Shanahan bantered back. "You would have had to tell me to leave."

A couple of asides:

1. Apparently, you should go to Cabo in January/February because you might bump into an NFL coach or star.
  2. McVay asking Shanahan about his new toy is something only good friends can get away with -- "Hey, you like my new yacht? Bigger than the last one!"

Ultimately, the Rams shipped two first-round picks and Jared Goff to Detroit for Stafford, who L.A. believes can put them over the top after sputtering the past few seasons.

It'd been reported that the Niners were interested in trading for Stafford but never made an official offer after the bidding escalated. Shanahan lamenting all that studying on Stafford only to watch him go to a rival underscores that San Francisco intended to find an eventual replacement for Jimmy Garoppolo. Instead, they ended up trading three first-rounders for the No. 3 overall pick to snag Trey Lance.

At least the film study Shanahan went through in Cabo won't go to waste now that he has to face Stafford twice a year in the NFC West.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All available evidence says this is dead wrong.  Stafford "compiled"?  With a terrible Detroit organization?  Come on now.  

Just an unreal take. Going to give the benefit of the doubt and just assume Jets fans haven't experienced good quarterbacking in so long it blows circuits when they have to evaluate one.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Rams vs. Bills 

Agree on Rams. Shouldn't be a favorite but I like them at +1200. Also like Titans at +3500. Titans line is just straight up ridiculous. Miami is +3000!

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree on Rams. Shouldn't be a favorite but I like them at +1200. Also like Titans at +3500. Titans line is just straight up ridiculous. Miami is +3000!

Say Josh Allen got hurt in Week 9 and Trubisky took over the rest of the way.  How would that impact your view on Buffalo's chances?

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Say Josh Allen got hurt in Week 9 and Trubisky took over the rest of the way.  How would that impact your view on Buffalo's chances?

You are a dirty dog lol. But why not.

Bills currently at +1300. Obviously, Allen going down would hurt that team. A lot. It would of course depend on record at that point -- gotta assume any new QB will take -- and likely lose -- a couple games while getting up to game speed. So let's say they are 7-2 at week nine and 7-4 by week 11. Playoffs still likely, especially considering how weak the rest of the AFC-E is likely to be.

I think Vegas would have an immediate over-reaction, probably enough to make Buffalo an attractive dart throw bet. It would not be the automatic season-ender like Dak going down was for the Cowboys. The good news, and the reason they went after Trubisky in the first place, is he plays with a similar style to Allen; Bills wouldn’t have to completely overhaul their approach. He obviously wouldn't come close to replacing Allen but good enough to still go on a run? Yes. He does have playoff experience and cold wouldn't bother him -- homefield would sure help. However, it's hard to see the Allen-less Bills keeping up with Titans and Chiefs -- one or both of which they would almost certainly need to go through to get to the Big Show. 

Long story short it would hurt a lot but wouldn't knock them into "no way" territory but rather into "puncher's chance" territory.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Now my turn — if you swapped Mahomes and Darnold, what would the Jets’ and Chiefs’ respective 2020 records have been?

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

Now my turn — if you swapped Mahomes and Darnold, what would the Jets’ and Chiefs’ respective 2020 records have been?

Chiefs:  Assuming Darnold got hurt for 4 games regardless, that means you'd have gotten 12 games from Darnold and 4 from Chad Henne.  I'll go with 7-9.  7 fewer wins than they ended up with (14-2).  

Jets:  11-5, one game behind Buffalo (12-4), Wild Card.  +9 wins from our 2-14 record.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All available evidence says this is dead wrong.  Stafford "compiled"?  With a terrible Detroit organization?  Come on now.  Maybe sometimes he racked up yardage in garbage time in blowout losses, but that doesn't explain the totality of his career success to date.  He's put together 6 straight seasons with a 90+ QB Rating and 64+ completion %, 3 of the last 4 seasons he's put up 7.7+ YPA, 5 of the last 6 seasons he's had 10 INT or less, etc.  And Goff sucks.

It should also be telling that half the NFC West coaches, both of which have reached Super Bowls, openly coveted Stafford this past offseason, with the one who didn't get him still lamenting this, even with Garoppolo and Lance now both on the roster:

https://www.nfl.com/news/kyle-shanahan-to-sean-mcvay-on-matthew-stafford-trade-you-don-t-want-to-get-me-s

Kyle Shanahan to Sean McVay on Matthew Stafford trade: 'You don't want to get me started, dude'

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

When the Los Angeles Rams made the blockbuster trade for Matthew Stafford, both the quarterback and coach Sean McVay were famously in Cabo. Another key NFLer was also in the area but had a different take on the trade of his division rival: Kyle Shanahan.

With the San Francisco 49ers milling around the possibility of trading for Stafford, Shanahan was studying up on the 32-year-old QB.

Shanahan was recently on the Flying Coach podcast with McVay and Peter Schrager. McVay ribbed Shanahan, asking the Niners coach how he liked the Rams' new addition.

"You don't want to get me started, dude," Shanahan responded. "That was frustrating. I was in Cabo. I was studying it all. ... I remember looking through it because everybody was telling me it was a possibility. Stafford's the man. I studied him hard coming out of college, and you always play against him, so you know how good he is. But to know he might be available and to spend two weeks really watching him, Sean, yeah, he's better than I realized. He was the man. He's actually underrated to me. I know how good of a guy you got. I know how good he is at play-action. I know how smart he is. Not only does he just have a big arm, but he's got touch, he knows where to go with the ball. So I was trying to get involved in it.

"... I remember Saturday I was so stressed out and finally we talked to someone, it was seven at night, and they're like, 'No, nothing's happening (with a trade) at the earliest until tomorrow, so you can finish your night.' So I'm like, alright, I'm done. I put my phone down, talk to Mandy. I'm like, alright, 'Let's go out to dinner, let's have some drinks.' Half an hour later, my buddy calls me and is like, 'I'm just telling ya, if you want Stafford, you need to get a hold of him right now.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? We just talked to people. I can sleep on this. We'll talk to them tomorrow.' 'I'm just telling you, you need to talk to him right now.' And then it was all over."

"If it makes you feel any better, it came together faster than I thought, too, Kyle," McVay replied.

"The fact I was in Cabo, man, I would have been there, and I would have made it really awkward on you two to enjoy it," Shanahan bantered back. "You would have had to tell me to leave."

A couple of asides:

1. Apparently, you should go to Cabo in January/February because you might bump into an NFL coach or star.
  2. McVay asking Shanahan about his new toy is something only good friends can get away with -- "Hey, you like my new yacht? Bigger than the last one!"

Ultimately, the Rams shipped two first-round picks and Jared Goff to Detroit for Stafford, who L.A. believes can put them over the top after sputtering the past few seasons.

It'd been reported that the Niners were interested in trading for Stafford but never made an official offer after the bidding escalated. Shanahan lamenting all that studying on Stafford only to watch him go to a rival underscores that San Francisco intended to find an eventual replacement for Jimmy Garoppolo. Instead, they ended up trading three first-rounders for the No. 3 overall pick to snag Trey Lance.

At least the film study Shanahan went through in Cabo won't go to waste now that he has to face Stafford twice a year in the NFC West.

Didnt we just learn from Brady that when you hype an opposing player up like this, its complete BS.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chiefs:  Assuming Darnold got hurt for 4 games regardless, that means you'd have gotten 12 games from Darnold and 4 from Chad Henne.  I'll go with 7-9.  7 fewer wins than they ended up with (14-2).  

Jets:  11-5, one game behind Buffalo (12-4), Wild Card.  +9 wins from our 2-14 record.

Pretty close to my thinking. True FQBs are still bargains -- consider Mahomes is the highest paid QB in the league at $50M/year. Nuk Hopkins the highest paid WR who makes about $27.5M/yr.

All else being equal, would a team rather have one Mahomes or two Nuks? Pretty obvious answer IMHO.

What about one Mahomes or 2.5 Leo Williamses? ;) 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, jgb said:

Pretty close to my thinking. True FQBs are still bargains -- consider Mahomes is the highest paid QB in the league at $50M/year. Nuk Hopkins the highest paid WR who makes about $27.5M/yr.

All else being equal, would a team rather have one Mahomes or two Nuks? Pretty obvious answer IMHO.

What about one Mahomes or 2.5 Leo Williamses? ;) 

What would two Aaron Donalds look like?  That might be worth 1 Mahomes.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Didnt we just learn from Brady that when you hype an opposing player up like this, its complete BS.

Yeah, no reason at all for a QB-needy team to hype up a top 10 or so QB whatsoever.  Total BS!

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Stafford is significantly better than Goff and it’s not even close.

Having said that…I still don’t expect to see the Rams in the Super Bowl.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

A couple of asides:

Anyone who seems to be struggling how to identify a good QB on a bad team should read this post.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I put money on Buffalo to win it all at 11/1

And you even have built in insurance if Allen goes down

Mitchell Trubisky Smile GIF by Chicago Bears

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Gibby said:

Bills take a step back this year ( probably still a playoff team) but  Pats win  the division yet again. Sorry.

I hope not because that would probably mean Mac Jones is an immediate stud and we’re in for a long decade.

i don't know.  i'm still not that sold on the bills as a powerhouse team.  they have allen but the guy they picked up that makes the difference is diggs.  is he in a contract year?  and then guys like jerry hughes are one year older.  i wouldn't count out the patsies and the jets at least splitting with thiem this season.  as for the talk about the rams, too much the glamour team.  it's la after all.  tampa is going to be tough assuming they stay healthy.  kc too. a pass rush plus bad oline did mahomes in.  plus i think he was a little beat up.  it'll be interesting to see if those teams are still hungry.

Bills are only that high because the AFC is thinner at the top, IMO. After the Chiefs they're #2 and I'm not sure who number 3 is.

Count me among those that think Stafford could have a massive season with the Rams, potentially an MVP one ala Ryan in 2016. This is basically the first time we'll ever see him on a good, well coached team. IMO Goff stinks and has been propped up by McVay and I'm very curious to see what he can do with a talent like Stafford.

Rams and 9ers duke it out for the NFC West and possibly the NFC Title depending on what happens with the Bucs. I'm fading the Seahawks.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Bills are only that high because the AFC is thinner at the top, IMO. After the Chiefs they're #2 and I'm not sure who number 3 is.

Ravens have to be # 3, no?

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Count me among those that think Stafford could have a massive season with the Rams, potentially an MVP one ala Ryan in 2016. This is basically the first time we'll ever see him on a good, well coached team. IMO Goff stinks and has been propped up by McVay and I'm very curious to see what he can do with a talent like Stafford.

Rams and 9ers duke it out for the NFC West and possibly the NFC Title depending on what happens with the Bucs. I'm fading the Seahawks.

I hope so! I traded for Stafford in my dynasty league several years ago for Derrick Henry (don't want to talk about it). Was heading into playoffs with a desperate QB situation and Henry was maddeningly splitting time with Dion Lewis and had a reputation as a guy who wasn't a factor in the passing game (PPR league)

One of the worst trades I ever did in hindsight and still suffering for it.  Of course, that same year I traded for Kamara as a rookie for peanuts.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It will be very interesting to see if Lamar Jackson can continue to mature as a passer. 

• Upvote 2
On 7/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, johnnysd said:

I'm curious about this. I've seen way too many of his games living here in Detroit. I want him to do well, but it will be interesting to see what he does with a supporting cast.

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would probably agree but it depends who you ask. A lot of people are on the "Browns will win the AFC North" bandwagon... I'll buy into that when I see it.\

Really, there are a few teams (Titans, Colts, Browns, etc,) in that mix and I wouldn't be shocked if one of them broke out.

I'm still kind of a Lamar skeptic, personally. I don't trust him to win a big game against a good defense. I just don't think he's good enough as a passer.

• Upvote 1