Mark Sanchez named New York Jets’ worst draft pick since 2006

36 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it kind of depends on context.

Obviously Gholston and Hackneberg were much worse picks in terms of production relative to draft slot.

But this sentence summarizes the argument for Sanchez: “(He) quite easily cost one of the best rosters in the NFL a chance at a Super Bowl.”

It's not just his production it's the opportunity cost of having him at QB.

Rex and Tanny did that by not getting a medium vet who could play instead of a raw rookie.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rex and Tanny did that by not getting a medium vet who could play instead of a raw rookie.

Sure.  It was on Rex.  He took over that great roster that had managed to miss the playoffs in a year when Brady was out, losing the division to the QB he dumped.  I mean who could have been expected to win the division with Favre.  It's not like the guy went 12-4 and hit the conference championship in Minnesota the next year.  Who are you signing?  Warner stayed in Arizona.  Kerry Collins?  AJ Feely?  Ryan Fitzpartrick?  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

And once in the postseason, Mark was terrific, leading us to 4 road victories and being the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games where the woefully overrated defense collapsed.

But his fumble that resulted in a Pitt td was the difference in that AFCCG 24-19 loss. The D gave up no points in the 2nd half of that game.

• Upvote 2

Sanchez stunk.  So did darnold and gholsten and coples and all the clowns we have drafted over the years.

Now we have one of the best young gms in the league and a superstar up and coming head coach.  There is no need to even have these conversations anymore.

10 - 7 and a wc spot this year, division champs and deep playoff run next year and one of the favorites to win the super bowl in 2023.

Thank you Joe Douglas.  Thank you!!

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They tried to get Farve to comeback had Tanny not given him his release he would have had to if he wanted to play again..

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sanchez stunk.  So did darnold and gholsten and coples and all the clowns we have drafted over the years.

Now we have one of the best young gms in the league and a superstar up and coming head coach.  There is no need to even have these conversations anymore.

10 - 7 and a wc spot this year, division champs and deep playoff run next year and one of the favorites to win the super bowl in 2023.

Thank you Joe Douglas.  Thank you!!

You realize that if you look at Bills and Dolphins fan sites they say the exact same thing.....   if Zach doesn't pan out, we are toast.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

But his fumble that resulted in a Pitt td was the difference in that AFCCG 24-19 loss. The D gave up no points in the 2nd half of that game.

The fumble was a blind-side strip sack that happened in under 2 seconds as D'Brickashaw Ferguson whiffed on Ike Taylor, no way you can blame that on Mark Sanchez.

The D gave up no points in the second half because Mark and the offense moved the ball up and down the field mounting a furious comeback.  And Mark and the offense win that game if Bart and the defense could make one bloody stop on 3rd down.  Of course, they couldn't.

SAR I

• Haha 1

Yeah, if you're just looking at where the player was drafted and how they produced on the field, I'd go with Gholston.  IIRC, the guy did pretty much nothing.

The Hack pick deserves consideration despite not being a 1st rounder, because he was such an awful reach. Oh yeah, and he literally never played.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

The worst pick with the information available at the time is Hack.

The worst pick in hindsight when considering opportunity cost is Adams, although it could be argued that Macc went Adams over a QB because of Hack, making it a two-fer.

Sanchez is not only not on the podium, he's not in the stadium. This is more of an indictment of Jets' draft ineptitude than a defense of Sanchez. Anyone who gave us fans any positive memories is automatically disqualified from being in the worst draft pick discussion. There are too many other unworthy candidates.

I was going to write exactly this! Hackenberg wasn’t even close to becoming an NFL-player and has failed his way through various shady leagues. Unbelievably stupid draft pick, from start to finish. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

A pair of AFC title game appearances couldn’t save former New York Jets QB Mark Sanchez from a dubious distinction bestowed by PFF.

Pro Football Focus couldn’t wait until spring to conjure up draft day nightmares.

The analytic statistical service filled the doldrums of the NFL offseason with terror after unveiling the draft worst pick over the last 15 years for the New York Jets and their brethren. New York’s nominee, per Michael Renner, is quarterback Mark Sanchez, the fifth overall pick of the 2009 proceedings.

Renner admits that there is “a lot of good content to choose from” when it comes to the Jets’ most dubious draftees. He lists defensive dropouts Dee Milliner and Vernon Gholston as nominees and is tempted to put Sanchez’s eventual successor Sam Darnold in the spot.

However, Renner praises the Jets for earning a sizable haul from trading Darnold and thus removes him from consideration.

Sanchez isn’t so lucky.

“Sanchez, however, took a lot of draft capital to secure via trade,” Renner writes. “(He) quite easily cost one of the best rosters in the NFL a chance at a Super Bowl.”

To Renner’s point, the Jets traded with the Cleveland Browns to select the USC product, moving a dozen spots ahead through the deal. Cleveland obtained the 17th and 52nd overall picks as well as veterans Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam.

While it’s more than fair to say that Sanchez had his struggles—ones made all the more painful by future Pro Bowlers B.J. Raji, Brian Orakpo, Malcolm Jenkins, and Brian Cushing going within the next ten picks—calling him the ultimate comedy of the Jets’ draft day errors seems excessive.

Following the circulation of PFF’s selection on social media, many were quick to note that Sanchez helped guide the Jets to the AFC title game in each of his first two seasons at the New York offensive helm. While it’s fair to perhaps label Sanchez a game manager in the postseason affairs, working in conjunction with strong defensive and rushing efforts, he was far from the only reason the Jets failed to advance to the Super Bowl.

The first time around, Sanchez actually helped the Jets built a 17-6 first half lead over Indianapolis (a lead built through two Sanchez touchdown passes) before momentum shifted through an 80-yard Colts drive capped off by a Peyton Manning touchdown pass. It began a 24-point onslaught for the Colts, who put 461 yards of offense in the 30-17 victory.

One year later, Sanchez threw three touchdown passes in the Divisional victory over New England before falling just short of erasing a 24-0 deficit in the next conference title game in Pittsburgh. He had two more scoring passes (both in the second half) as the Jets fell in a 24-19 final.

Sanchez’s 95.5 passer rating over the 2010-11 postseason was second-best amongst playoff quarterbacks with at least 50 attempts, behind only future Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers.

Additionally, it’s not as if the Jets missed out on another franchise man later in the draft. Matthew Stafford was the consensus top pick to Detroit while Tampa Bay ironically took Kansas State’s Josh Freeman with the 17th pick, which was the Jets’ original selection obtained in another deal with the Browns.

The other throwers (Pat White, Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar among them) made little to no impact on the NFL level. In fact, the last quarterback taken (Julian Edelman out of Kent State) went on to make his mark as a receiver instead.

Sanchez at least has the distinction of throwing NFL passes, something second-round choice Christian Hackenberg (2016) was never able to do.

FYI Jets Fans, I strongly disagree but posted this article as food for thought during these doldrums.  

i think zach wilson wont be reay for 221 give it some time dont rush em like what they did what they did woth sancehz 

• WTF? 2

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

You know we’ve had some bad GMs when 95% of the board is sticking up for Sanchez not being even close to our worst draft pick since 2006. And we’re not wrong.

Exactly.  Worst part of this thread is that there are so many guys to choose from as worst pick of the past 15 years.  In addition to Sanchez, you have Hack, Coples, Milliner, Polite, Darnold, Gholston, Geno, Pryor, Lee.  And probably a couple of other guys I have forgotten.

Easy to see why we have not sniffed the playoffs in the last 10 years.

• Upvote 1

Christian Hackenberg and Jamal Adams are the 2 worst draft picks in Jets history.  Collectively, those 2 cost us Mahomes/Watson.  Yes, Watson became a monster but he was also still a top 10 QB we passed on, and I imagine he'll still end up playing in the NFL for a long time.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sure. But when you trade up and draft a QB 5th overall he's going to start over a medium vet.

That team needed a medium vet the whole time.

That was what I meant, it was a mistake to draft him in the 1st place instead of going to get a vet  before hand.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Vernon Gholston was picked 6 th overall in the draft.  He made 18 tackles in 3 NFL seasons, along with 18 assisted tackles in those 3 years. I know that he never got a single sack in an actual game.

Vernon Gholston didn't just underperform, I would make the argument that he never performed at all.

So, Gholston averaged 6 tackles and 6 assisted tackles per season, for 3 seasons.  There are linebackers who make 6 tackles and 6 assisted tackles in a single game.

I'm not sure if Gholston got a sack in shorts. He's not only the worst Jets pick but he may be the single worst football player I have ever seen

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Christian Hackenberg and Jamal Adams are the 2 worst draft picks in Jets history.  Collectively, those 2 cost us Mahomes/Watson.  Yes, Watson became a monster but he was also still a top 10 QB we passed on, and I imagine he'll still end up playing in the NFL for a long time.

you are not considering what we got in trade for Adams