Mark Sanchez named New York Jets’ worst draft pick since 2006

Gholston is obviously the worst. 

Any of the safety picks were worse just for the needlessness of picking a safety in the first round when there were more important positions in need of those picks. 

Sanchez and Darnold are pretty close to the same QB but Sanchez had flashes of good performance his first couple years. I never felt confident watching Darnold play. 

I don't feel like putting a lot of energy into arguing over a clickbait article but Sanchez wouldn't be in my top ten worst in that time period.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I figured this article would make many/most of us hot under the collar.  Entertaining reads; thanks posters.

My take, Sam is/was worse than Mark.  End of discussion.

Clickbait!      

Too be fair Mark had better backs and W/R's plus a top D for 2 years anyway.. But yeah Sam sucks..

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

PFF clickbait, trying to get the huge NY/NJ market fired up and click-click-clicking.  Not falling for it.

Mark Sanchez may not have been a great regular season quarterback and he may not have been a quarterback with a lengthy career.  But for 2 seasons he did exactly what his coaching staff needed him to do.  He was cheap, he allowed us to use cap space to pay for defense, and he stepped up his game in the highest pressure situations.  When the defense put us in bad spots in 2010, he engineered 5 epic 4th quarter comebacks to turn a bad 6-10 season into 11-5, second best in team history.  And once in the postseason, Mark was terrific, leading us to 4 road victories and being the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games where the woefully overrated defense collapsed.

Mark Sanchez deserves every Jets fan's respect and, someday, a spot in the Ring Of Honor.

SAR I

I agree with everything you said here except that he deserves a spot in the ring of honor. A couple of afc championship game appearances doesn’t earn you a spot. It would be one thing if he had a long solid career here and the team just couldn’t get him back there but this isn’t the case. 

9 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I agree with everything you said here except that he deserves a spot in the ring of honor. A couple of afc championship game appearances doesn’t earn you a spot. It would be one thing if he had a long solid career here and the team just couldn’t get him back there but this isn’t the case. 

If Boston can forgive Bill Buckner, Jets fans can forgive Sanchez. Adams however will never order a drink in NY without a loogie in it.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

If Boston can forgive Bill Buckner, Jets fans can forgive Sanchez. Adams however will never order a drink in NY without a loogie in it.

Especially since I still don't have much of a problem with the Jets having taken Sanchez in the first place.  It was unfortunately a weak QB class and they fell in love with Sanchez.  It happens.  They didn't even give that much in the trade up.  The only real sin when it came to Sanchez was the contract extension Tannenbaum gave him.  They should have let him enter the final year of his rookie deal without a new contract. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Especially since I still don't have much of a problem with the Jets having taken Sanchez in the first place.  It was unfortunately a weak QB class and they fell in love with Sanchez.  It happens.  They didn't even give that much in the trade up.  The only real sin when it came to Sanchez was the contract extension Tannenbaum gave him.  They should have let him enter the final year of his rookie deal without a new contract. 

Yep. Also why I don’t kill Idzik for Geno pick. And I hated hated hated Geno Smith but that was a good calculated risk to take.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

A pair of AFC title game appearances couldn’t save former New York Jets QB Mark Sanchez from a dubious distinction bestowed by PFF.

Pro Football Focus couldn’t wait until spring to conjure up draft day nightmares.

The analytic statistical service filled the doldrums of the NFL offseason with terror after unveiling the draft worst pick over the last 15 years for the New York Jets and their brethren. New York’s nominee, per Michael Renner, is quarterback Mark Sanchez, the fifth overall pick of the 2009 proceedings.

Renner admits that there is “a lot of good content to choose from” when it comes to the Jets’ most dubious draftees. He lists defensive dropouts Dee Milliner and Vernon Gholston as nominees and is tempted to put Sanchez’s eventual successor Sam Darnold in the spot.

However, Renner praises the Jets for earning a sizable haul from trading Darnold and thus removes him from consideration.

Sanchez isn’t so lucky.

“Sanchez, however, took a lot of draft capital to secure via trade,” Renner writes. “(He) quite easily cost one of the best rosters in the NFL a chance at a Super Bowl.”

To Renner’s point, the Jets traded with the Cleveland Browns to select the USC product, moving a dozen spots ahead through the deal. Cleveland obtained the 17th and 52nd overall picks as well as veterans Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam.

While it’s more than fair to say that Sanchez had his struggles—ones made all the more painful by future Pro Bowlers B.J. Raji, Brian Orakpo, Malcolm Jenkins, and Brian Cushing going within the next ten picks—calling him the ultimate comedy of the Jets’ draft day errors seems excessive.

Following the circulation of PFF’s selection on social media, many were quick to note that Sanchez helped guide the Jets to the AFC title game in each of his first two seasons at the New York offensive helm. While it’s fair to perhaps label Sanchez a game manager in the postseason affairs, working in conjunction with strong defensive and rushing efforts, he was far from the only reason the Jets failed to advance to the Super Bowl.

The first time around, Sanchez actually helped the Jets built a 17-6 first half lead over Indianapolis (a lead built through two Sanchez touchdown passes) before momentum shifted through an 80-yard Colts drive capped off by a Peyton Manning touchdown pass. It began a 24-point onslaught for the Colts, who put 461 yards of offense in the 30-17 victory.

One year later, Sanchez threw three touchdown passes in the Divisional victory over New England before falling just short of erasing a 24-0 deficit in the next conference title game in Pittsburgh. He had two more scoring passes (both in the second half) as the Jets fell in a 24-19 final.

Sanchez’s 95.5 passer rating over the 2010-11 postseason was second-best amongst playoff quarterbacks with at least 50 attempts, behind only future Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers.

Additionally, it’s not as if the Jets missed out on another franchise man later in the draft. Matthew Stafford was the consensus top pick to Detroit while Tampa Bay ironically took Kansas State’s Josh Freeman with the 17th pick, which was the Jets’ original selection obtained in another deal with the Browns.

The other throwers (Pat White, Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar among them) made little to no impact on the NFL level. In fact, the last quarterback taken (Julian Edelman out of Kent State) went on to make his mark as a receiver instead.

Sanchez at least has the distinction of throwing NFL passes, something second-round choice Christian Hackenberg (2016) was never able to do.

FYI Jets Fans, I strongly disagree but posted this article as food for thought during these doldrums.  

sanchez was always the NY version of Rex Grossman...carried by the team

2 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Freeman McNeil

Wesley Walker

Al Toon

Wayne Chrebet

Marty Lyons

Mark Gastineau

If those five guys are up there, so too should be Mark Sanchez.  Longevity shouldn't be the only benchmark.  Mark Sanchez played better for three seasons than any of those guys did in their best runs.  Mark Sanchez holds every Jets postseason record of merit-  wins, TD's, rating, completion percentage, attempts.  That matters more than Wayne Chrebet being a underdog fan favorite with a paltry 2 TD's in 6 playoff games or Al Toon who won 1 playoff game and had a whopping 2 TD's in 4 postseason contests.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

I’m sorry, but Sanchez wasn’t as bad of a pick as guys like Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor or Darron Lee.
Hell, as much as I loved Darnold, he’s a worse pick than Sanchez in hindsight as well.
Christian Hackenberg, Geno Smith ... end thread

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’m sorry, but Sanchez wasn’t as bad of a pick as guys like Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor or Darron Lee.

Hell, as much as I loved Darnold, he’s a worse pick than Sanchez in hindsight as well.

The article says they gave away a lot to get Sanchez.   They traded the #1, a second rounder, and a bunch of roster fillers.

Mac traded a #1 and three second rounders for Darnold, and then got back some capital in return.  

Further, Sanchez had some success while on the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Bugg said:

When you consider the opportunity cost and postional value of picking Adams over Mahomes and Watson, it's the Adams pick. And it's not close. Sanchez managed to be okay enough to get a run first offense to 2 AFC title games. Taking any safety over either of  those 2 QBs was a CATASTROPHE.  Once again, the draftniks want to talk about nonsense. 

From a Jets standpoint, ypu are spot on because we needed a QB but for a team with an established QB taking Adams over them, it doesn't  look as bad

story is a joke - we gave up a bunch of players we didn't want anymore and a 2nd or something like that. We fleeced the crap out of the Browns. So how did that extra 2nd cost us the chance to build a team. If you want to blame anyone you could blame the GM for trading away other picks and signing poorly.

And worst? Gholston at 6 is worse. Sanchez at least 'took us' to two AFC championship games - the Ghost didn't get us a sack, did he? I also hate this 'cost too much' picking a QB at 5 is often a smarter move than a ghost at 6. The fact that the jets drafter higher in one vs. the other - the cost was the trade and it was brilliant. What about 3 2nds to move 3 spots and drafter Darnold (who i liked). 

Andy why 2006? because that was the best draft by far; Revis in 2007 (that cost us some picks I seem to remember) But it was the extra 2nd we gave up for Sanchez that left the team bereft - not the free trading GM. Or poor drafting right before and afterwards.

2008 - Gholston and Keller

After Sanchez: 9 defensive picks in a row until Darnold. 9. We had a strong OL, but you would think you would draft a WR in the first? Instead we signed some old has-beens and some never hads while trading away valuable draft capital. But it was the Sanchez trade and pick that left the team bare. You got to love it.

Anybody who picks Sanchez as the worst pick skipping over the Ghost has got to be crazy. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Larz said:

Blah blah blah

Its all about perception and the butt fumble was played on ESPN for a year 

it’s not his fault the jets gave up that much to get him

dumb

the buttfumble was literally one of the most embarrassing plays in sports ever. idk if its worse than bill buckner but its close

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

the buttfumble was literally one of the most embarrassing plays in sports ever. idk if its worse than bill buckner but its close

Very true but that doesn’t make him the worst . He’s not even close to being the worst pick of the past 15 years as many others have stated.  Just a cruel opinion piece written from some idiot. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Very true but that doesn’t make him the worst . He’s not even close to being the worst pick of the past 15 years as many others have stated.  Just a cruel opinion piece written from some idiot. 

not he's not the worst, but he did kinda suck

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Christian Hackenberg, Geno Smith ... end thread

Darnold was worse than Geno by several orders of magnitude. Geno was a 2nd round pick who was in the discussion for possible #1 overall the season prior — that’s a sound bet. Darnold cost the franchise dearly-needed draft capital and was atrocious.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Before Joe Douglas you literally have a decade of picks to chose from. 

Between Sanchez, Geno and then Darnold, Jets found a way to downgrade each time. That is an impressive run of suck.

If Wilson flops, the next GM has got to hedge with an established or at least upside vet to pair with the next drafted savior. QBs are changing teams more than ever. Pounded table for Tannehill going into 2019. Pounded table for Trubisky this off season. When he went to Bills, said ok then no reason not to bring in Minshew at the Jags reported price of a 5th/6th rounder.

Finding a FQB is a crap shoot — ever notice that craps is played with two dice??

Sanchez was a pile of hot garbage that was the Jets' most significant weakness on two of their greatest all-time teams.  Anyone looking to give him credit for their postseason success, which was entirely in spite of him, apparently hasn't quite yet gotten a full grasp on that brand new football concept of the "forward pass".

With that said, he still doesn't come close to being their worst draft pick, thanks to how laughably awful so many of them have been.

However, just because Sanchez wasn't the most diarrhetic of all Jets' dumps, doesn't make him any less of a solid turd that took far too long to be flushed.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I think it kind of depends on context.
Obviously Gholston and Hackneberg were much worse picks in terms of production relative to draft slot.
But this sentence summarizes the argument for Sanchez: “(He) quite easily cost one of the best rosters in the NFL a chance at a Super Bowl.”
It's not just his production it's the opportunity cost of having him at QB.

Two things:

1. If Sanchez isn’t the starter, who is?
2. He was far from the reason they lost those championship games.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

21 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Sam Darnold is only a worse pick because Jets management was incompetent.

Darnold was worse than Geno by several orders of magnitude. Geno was a 2nd round pick who was in the discussion for possible #1 overall the season prior — that’s a sound bet. Darnold cost the franchise dearly-needed draft capital and was atrocious.
can you imagine the fallout had Smith been taken 1 ? Guy was absolutely attrocious and a FAR worse QB than Sanchez. In retrospect we did not give up too much to get Sanchez ... the consensus no. 2 QB.

Which of Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, or Abram Elam was a future pro bowler.

So in essence we gave up a second round pick and got rid of some garbage to pick the consensus overall second best QB.

Regarding Darnold .... you might be right ... but I feel like the jets did not support him enough to really know. Getting rid of him because of $$$ was absolutely the only move .... but for me ... jury is still out. I saw the ints in college and did not like the pick ... hell I wanted rosen ... so wtf do I know. Still cant believe the magnitude of that erroneous judgement.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

emoji848.png can you imagine the fallout had Smith been taken 1 ? Guy was absolutely attrocious and a FAR worse QB than Sanchez. In retrospect we did not give up too much to get Sanchez ... the consensus no. 2 QB.

Which of Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, or Abram Elam do you hold in such admiration??

So in essence we gave up a second round pick and got rid of some garbage to pick the consensus overall second best QB.

I have been a vocal and frequent critic of Geno Smith since his draft hissy fit -- just smelled that this is not a guy who will make it under that infamous NYC scrutiny. I also predicted his teammates would neither respect nor even like this thin-skinned, me-first man child. But it was oh so much worse than I expected because of one man: Rex.

Rex owns part of Geno's implosion. Particularly the way he managed Geno missing that team meeting in San Diego showed the inexcusable lack of accountability on that team. The fact that Geno is apparently too dumb to even have prepared an answer to the inevitable media question of "what movie was it?" shows that Geno had come to expect no challenge or consequences from his HC for this kind of behavior. He should've been benched for that game or, at a bare minimum, not started. Doesn't matter what Rex thought that did to the team's chances of winning, a tone of minimally-acceptable professionalism has to be set and maintained by the HC. But at that point it was too late, the mice knew there was no cat in the building.

A player like Geno who came into the league with maturity issues had no shot to get in the right mindset with a HC like Rex. Of course it's not like Rex treated Geno any differently than anyone else.  There are just so many cases of Rex not holding players to a standard of professional behavior. Like bringing IK to Buffalo as some sort of vainglorious middle finger to the Jets. He even named him a captain when Bills faced the Jets. What a toddler. That's just who Rex is and will forever be. I've said before that Rex can be an effective coach when things are going well on a team that is self-governed by a core of professional veterans -- but once adversity strikes, the wheels don't just fly off, they shatter into shrapnel and cause untold collateral damage as they rip through the organization. Rex is the cocaine of head coaches -- he can get you pumped up for a must-win game, but the inevitable crash just isn't worth it.

It's actually pretty impressive that Geno is still in the league at all. He's really on at least his third chance (stopped caring enough to follow how or why he left the Chargers) since reading between the lines he wore out his welcome with the Giants after losing his team ipad/playbook mid-season and not bothering to tell anyone about it (how do you prepare without a playbook?!). Say what you will about the Giants but the Maras don't have a lot of patience for that crap. Would Geno have succeeded under a different HC? I think not. He's a slow-processor (sorry, "simpleton doofus," hat tip @Jetsfan80) but at least he would've has a chance to fail for football reasons and not for being an enabled, entitled, d-bag.

But even considering all of this and my -- I think it's fair to call it -- hatred of Geno as a human being -- he was not a bad draft pick in the 2nd round. If Idzik had taken him at #9 that year, I could see the argument that it was one of the worst picks in the last 15 years... not that Dee Milliner was any better. But, unlike my personal bottom 2 worst NYJ draft picks, we didn't forego a Mahomes or Watson to select Smith. So even though Geno was an abject failure, his selection can't be directly linked to yet another Jets' blown opportunity to finally get a FQB in the building. Unlike Hack/Adams (which honestly was part I and part II of the same mistake).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I have been a vocal and frequent critic of Geno Smith since his draft hissy fit -- just smelled that this is not a guy who will make it under that infamous NYC scrutiny. I also predicted his teammates would neither respect or even like this thin-skinned, me-first man child.
But Rex also owns part of Geno's implosion. Particularly the way he managed Geno missing that team meeting in San Diego showed the inexcusable lack of accountability on that team. The fact that Geno is apparently too dumb to even have prepared an answer to the inevitable media question of "what movie was it?" shows that Geno had come to expect no challenge or consequences from his HC for this kind of behavior. He should've been benched for that game or, at a bare minimum, not started. Doesn't matter what Rex thought that did to the team's chances of winning, a tone of minimally-acceptable professionalism has to be set and maintained by the HC. But at that point it was too late, the mice knew there was no cat in the building.
A player like Geno who came into the league with maturity issues had no shot to get in the right mindset with a HC like Rex. Of course it's not like Rex treated Geno any differently than anyone else.  There are just so many cases of Rex not holding players to a standard of professional behavior. Like bringing IK to Buffalo as some sort of vainglorious middle finger to the Jets. He even named him a captain when Bills faced the Jets. What a toddler. That's just who Rex is and will forever be. I've said before that Rex can be an effective coach when things are going well on a team that is self-governed by a core of professional veterans -- but once adversity strikes, the wheels don't just fly off, they shattered into shrapnel and cause untold collateral damage as they rip through the organization. Rex is the cocaine of head coaches -- he can get you pumped up for a must-win game, but the repercussions just aren't worth it.
It's actually pretty impressive that Geno is still in the league at all. He's really on his third chance since reading between the lines he wore out his welcome with the Giants after losing his team ipad/playbook mid-season and not bothering to tell anyone about it (how do you prepare without a playbook?!). Would Geno have succeeded under a different HC? I think not. He's a slow-processor (sorry, "simpleton doofus," hat tip [mention=5406]Jetsfan80[/mention]) but at least he would've failed for football reasons and not for being an enabled, entitled, d-bag.
But even considering all of this and my I think it's fair to call it hatred of Geno as a human being -- he was not a bad draft pick in the 2nd round. If Idzik had taken him at #9 that year, I could see the argument that it was one of the worst picks in the last 15 years... not that Dee Milliner was any better.
Also, unlike my personal bottom 2 worst NYJ draft picks, we didn't forego a Mahomes or Watson to select Smith. So even though Geno was an abject failure, his selection can't be directly linked to yet another Jets' failure to seize an opportunity to finally get a FQB in the building. Unlike Hack/Adams (which honestly was part I and part II of the same mistake).

Fair points ... but I reject the idea that we gave up franchise altering capital for Sanchez.... Smith had and arm . But that was it ... he was a far worse QB than Sanchez.

I dont know of its Geno hate or just an accurate assesment of a below average QB picked at the top of the second round.

Regardless they both suck and are in the conversation as terrible picks.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jgb said:

No way. Geno is the absolute bust of this franchise since he is a QB who had huge expectations tied to him. And he was given ample chances only to implode by getting decked by a teammate. It’s astonishing he’s still a back up in the league. And what has he done in that role?  LOL NOTHING!  And who names their kid Eugene anymore? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Fair points ... but I reject the idea that we gave up franchise altering capital for Sanchez.... Smith had and arm . But that was it ... he was a far worse QB than Sanchez.

I dont know of its Geno hate or just an accurate assesment of a below average QB picked at the top of the second round.

Regardless they both suck and are in the conversation as terrible picks.

I should've been more clear: Geno was absolutely a worse player (and person) than Sanchez but neither should be on the "worst draft pick" list. 100% agree that PFF is way overplaying the "draft capital" argument with Sanchez. Almost seems like they confused some elements of drafting Sanchez and Darnold.

29 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

No way. Geno is the absolute bust of this franchise since he is a QB who had huge expectations tied to him. And he was given ample chances only to implode by getting decked by a teammate. It’s astonishing he’s still a back up in the league. And what has he done in that role?  LOL NOTHING!  And who names their kid Eugene anymore? 

Check out my novel above on Geno. We agree in a lot more places than we disagree.

• Upvote 1