Mark Sanchez named New York Jets’ worst draft pick since 2006

22 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I hate agreeing with PFF, but they are right.

Because we had a small window of momentum with our OL, Running game a defense and Sanchez was just along for the ride.  He was the reason we didn't get to a SB those two years.

That’s just not correct.   In the Indy game we were up at the half but Rex defense couldn’t stop Peyton in the second half.   In the Pittsburgh game we came back behind Sanchez in the second half but a goal line stand kept us from scoring the winning TD and the D couldn’t  stop Roethlisberger and get the ball back one more time.

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

That’s just not correct.   In the Indy game we were up at the half but Rex defense couldn’t stop Peyton in the second half.   In the Pittsburgh game we came back behind Sanchez in the second half but a goal line stand kept us from scoring the winning TD and the D couldn’t  stop Roethlisberger and get the ball back one more time.

Mark threw an INT.......again in that game.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:38 AM, LIJetsFan said:

A pair of AFC title game appearances couldn’t save former New York Jets QB Mark Sanchez from a dubious distinction bestowed by PFF.

Pro Football Focus couldn’t wait until spring to conjure up draft day nightmares.

The analytic statistical service filled the doldrums of the NFL offseason with terror after unveiling the draft worst pick over the last 15 years for the New York Jets and their brethren. New York’s nominee, per Michael Renner, is quarterback Mark Sanchez, the fifth overall pick of the 2009 proceedings.

Renner admits that there is “a lot of good content to choose from” when it comes to the Jets’ most dubious draftees. He lists defensive dropouts Dee Milliner and Vernon Gholston as nominees and is tempted to put Sanchez’s eventual successor Sam Darnold in the spot.

However, Renner praises the Jets for earning a sizable haul from trading Darnold and thus removes him from consideration.

Sanchez isn’t so lucky.

“Sanchez, however, took a lot of draft capital to secure via trade,” Renner writes. “(He) quite easily cost one of the best rosters in the NFL a chance at a Super Bowl.”

To Renner’s point, the Jets traded with the Cleveland Browns to select the USC product, moving a dozen spots ahead through the deal. Cleveland obtained the 17th and 52nd overall picks as well as veterans Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam.

While it’s more than fair to say that Sanchez had his struggles—ones made all the more painful by future Pro Bowlers B.J. Raji, Brian Orakpo, Malcolm Jenkins, and Brian Cushing going within the next ten picks—calling him the ultimate comedy of the Jets’ draft day errors seems excessive.

Following the circulation of PFF’s selection on social media, many were quick to note that Sanchez helped guide the Jets to the AFC title game in each of his first two seasons at the New York offensive helm. While it’s fair to perhaps label Sanchez a game manager in the postseason affairs, working in conjunction with strong defensive and rushing efforts, he was far from the only reason the Jets failed to advance to the Super Bowl.

The first time around, Sanchez actually helped the Jets built a 17-6 first half lead over Indianapolis (a lead built through two Sanchez touchdown passes) before momentum shifted through an 80-yard Colts drive capped off by a Peyton Manning touchdown pass. It began a 24-point onslaught for the Colts, who put 461 yards of offense in the 30-17 victory.

One year later, Sanchez threw three touchdown passes in the Divisional victory over New England before falling just short of erasing a 24-0 deficit in the next conference title game in Pittsburgh. He had two more scoring passes (both in the second half) as the Jets fell in a 24-19 final.

Sanchez’s 95.5 passer rating over the 2010-11 postseason was second-best amongst playoff quarterbacks with at least 50 attempts, behind only future Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers.

Additionally, it’s not as if the Jets missed out on another franchise man later in the draft. Matthew Stafford was the consensus top pick to Detroit while Tampa Bay ironically took Kansas State’s Josh Freeman with the 17th pick, which was the Jets’ original selection obtained in another deal with the Browns.

The other throwers (Pat White, Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar among them) made little to no impact on the NFL level. In fact, the last quarterback taken (Julian Edelman out of Kent State) went on to make his mark as a receiver instead.

Sanchez at least has the distinction of throwing NFL passes, something second-round choice Christian Hackenberg (2016) was never able to do.

FYI Jets Fans, I strongly disagree but posted this article as food for thought during these doldrums.  

I stopped reading after  analytic statistical service.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, I am.  Patrick Mahomes wouldn't be traded for 20 first round picks.  

Yeah well lets not get into the Pat Mahomes Debate. Plenty of people did not like Mahomes coming out that's why he was drafted where he was drafted and not in the top three or 1 over all for that matter. Knowing what we know now about Mahomes he would have been the number 1 overall and that's not even in question but its not fair to use what he's doing now as an example of what we should have done keeping in mind QB needy teams passed on Tom Brady 6+ times each before Belichick picked him at 199. That's not to say Macc was not an idiot because he was but I'm not sure you can use it as an example of what we should have done with our first pick (6 OA) because a good amount of other teams and analysts felt the same way the Jets probably did and that was Mahomes was not worthy of such a pick.

Keep in mind who developed Mahomes as well, a coach (Reid) who has been successful with damn near every QB he's come in contact with, makes you wonder a bit what would have Mahomes become with Macc drafting just like he did for Darnold. You saw what happened to Mahomes in this past SB right ? Well what would have happened to Mahomes on the Jets when that would have been every day of his freakin life ? Mahomes was lucky in a sense that Jets organization didn't draft him

Either way this was about who was the worst draft pick and Adams is a very good football player so he was not the worst pick by a large margin. In every draft you can say 3 years later OMFG look who we passed on to take "this guy"  and you can make that argument on just about every player you ever picked. Summary Hindsight arguments should not be made

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Freeman McNeil

Wesley Walker

Al Toon

Wayne Chrebet

Marty Lyons

Mark Gastineau

If those five guys are up there, so too should be Mark Sanchez.  Longevity shouldn't be the only benchmark.  Mark Sanchez played better for three seasons than any of those guys did in their best runs.  Mark Sanchez holds every Jets postseason record of merit-  wins, TD's, rating, completion percentage, attempts.  That matters more than Wayne Chrebet being a underdog fan favorite with a paltry 2 TD's in 6 playoff games or Al Toon who won 1 playoff game and had a whopping 2 TD's in 4 postseason contests.

SAR I

Wait are you saying that Mark Sanchez should be in the ring of Honor and your reasoning is because he played good, not great but good in 2 playoff runs which ended loses in the AFCCG ?? Sorry but I liked Sanchez and I felt he was handled like a piece of crap by an Idiot HC but I saw what looked like potential never materialize. The Kid had good mechanics good footwork and a strong arm but his accuracy and processing power were very subpar. In no way does he belong in the ring of honor not by a long shot.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

blah blah blah.  Mahomes would be #1?  Yeah, maybe all-time.  Mahomes went 10th, not 150th.  Besides, if he was worried about Mahomes coming out of Texas Tech, why not Watson?  That is the real question.  Was Maccagnan that worried about the ourlads radar gun?  

The most damning case for Adams being the worst pick is that Macc passed on not one but two elite QBs. Could maybe understand one... sometimes you just have to trust your gut about a guy.

Of course, I still argue the Hack and Adams picks are two halves of the same mistake. 

• Upvote 2

I know it was a 6th round pick, but Tajh Boyd was a terrible pick.  You're suppose to be looking for people who can contribute.  Rex picked him because he knew him and wanted him to be able to say he was drafted.  I don't know who was drafted after or if anyone was any good.  But this is not trying and epitomizes rank amateur buffoons who were running the team then.

Not saying this is worst, but simply throwing a pick away is pretty bad, no matter the round.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

I know it was a 6th round pick, but Tajh Boyd was a terrible pick.  You're suppose to be looking for people who can contribute.  Rex picked him because he knew him and wanted him to be able to say he was drafted.  I don't know who was drafted after or if anyone was any good.  But this is not trying and epitomizes rank amateur buffoons who were running the team then.

Not saying this is worst, but simply throwing a pick away is pretty bad, no matter the round.

Let's go broader -- letting Rex Ryan the 300-lb toddler have a "coach's pick" every year was maybe the worst draft decision by the Jets ever lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Yeah well lets not get into the Pat Mahomes Debate. Plenty of people did not like Mahomes coming out that's why he was drafted where he was drafted and not in the top three or 1 over all for that matter. Knowing what we know now about Mahomes he would have been the number 1 overall and that's not even in question but its not fair to use what he's doing now as an example of what we should have done keeping in mind QB needy teams passed on Tom Brady 6+ times each before Belichick picked him at 199. That's not to say Macc was not an idiot because he was but I'm not sure you can use it as an example of what we should have done with our first pick (6 OA) because a good amount of other teams and analysts felt the same way the Jets probably did and that was Mahomes was not worthy of such a pick.

Keep in mind who developed Mahomes as well, a coach (Reid) who has been successful with damn near every QB he's come in contact with, makes you wonder a bit what would have Mahomes become with Macc drafting just like he did for Darnold. You saw what happened to Mahomes in this past SB right ? Well what would have happened to Mahomes on the Jets when that would have been every day of his freakin life ? Mahomes was lucky in a sense that Jets organization didn't draft him

Either way this was about who was the worst draft pick and Adams is a very good football player so he was not the worst pick by a large margin. In every draft you can say 3 years later OMFG look who we passed on to take "this guy"  and you can make that argument on just about every player you ever picked. Summary Hindsight arguments should not be made

Patrick Mahomes is a freak talent with great study habits.  The idea that he was "developed" by Reid is absurd.  Reid knew what he was and moved up to get him.  Arians wanted to draft him but he was gone before AZ drafted.

Mahomes went to a talented team and thrived from day 1.  If he went to a team like the Jets he would have started earlier and thrived.   Tampa Bay retired Drew Brees who had one of his worst performances ever in the playoffs against them.    Mahomes had over a 127 QBR in the AFL championship game against a very good Buffalo team.  

There is no doubt that Mahomes or Watson drafted to the Jets would not have as much talent around them.  There is also no doubt that both would have succeeded.  The Jets weren't facing Tampa Bay's D every week.  

FYI Budda Baker who is the best Safety in the NFC west was the 4th player picked in the  2nd round of the same draft that Mac took Adams at 6 in.

18 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not sure if Gholston got a sack in shorts. He's not only the worst Jets pick but he may be the single worst football player I have ever seen

There were also some very effective defensive players picked in the first round of that draft.  The Pats were rumored to take him.  We were  baited into taking him.  The Pats traded out the next pick to NO and picked Mayo at 10.  Mayo was the defensive rookie of the year.  

Has to be one of the worst moves we ever made.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

Tajh Boyd was basically Hackenberg in the 6th round instead of the 2nd.  Oh and they didn't waste time pretending that he was going to be the man.  A terrible player, but at the time pundits thought it was a fine pick, so I am not sure what to make of it.  I agree with not giving away a pick, but this one seemed to have more reasoning backing it up than say Scottie McKnight

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Let's go broader -- letting Rex Ryan the 300-lb toddler have a "coach's pick" every year was maybe the worst draft decision by the Jets ever lol.

It's just crazy.  We can laugh about it now, but how could Woody let this go on? Wait, never mind, now it makes sense.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Patrick Mahomes is a freak talent with great study habits.  The idea that he was "developed" by Reid is absurd.  Reid knew what he was and moved up to get him.  Arians wanted to draft him but he was gone before AZ drafted.

Mahomes went to a talented team and thrived from day 1.  If he went to a team like the Jets he would have started earlier and thrived.   Tampa Bay retired Drew Brees who had one of his worst performances ever in the playoffs against them.    Mahomes had over a 127 QBR in the AFL championship game against a very good Buffalo team.  

There is no doubt that Mahomes or Watson drafted to the Jets would not have as much talent around them.  There is also no doubt that both would have succeeded.  The Jets weren't facing Tampa Bay's D every week.  

FYI Budda Baker who is the best Safety in the NFC west was the 4th player picked in the  2nd round of the same draft that Mac took Adams at 6 in.

This has nothing to do with what 80 and I were discussing no one is questioning Mahomes ability during that draft or now, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Mahomes ability was never ever in question at any point but then neither was Jeff Georges or Vince Youngs what is always in question when it comes to the QB position, whether right or wrong, is what they possess upstairs. And FWIW Andy Reid did develop Patrick Mahomes  unless you think Mahomes just walked into the facility in KC and got no direction at all I'm sure a smart QB like Alex Smith helped in that regard as well.

If you think Mahomes would have succeeded on the Jets with the garbage we had on the field in comparison to the chiefs or even the Watson led Texans you're nuts. Its more likely both QB's would have been destroyed here and succeeded on their second team if they were not out right ruined first.

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

blah blah blah.  Mahomes would be #1?  Yeah, maybe all-time.  Mahomes went 10th, not 150th.  Besides, if he was worried about Mahomes coming out of Texas Tech, why not Watson?  That is the real question.  Was Maccagnan that worried about the ourlads radar gun?  

In any regard Maccagnan was an Idiot who seemed to have no clue WTF was going on. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

sanchez was always the NY version of Rex Grossman...carried by the team

Sanchez actually over performed in both AFC championship games.  As a rookie he put up a respectable 93 plus QBR.  In the Pittsburgh game as a second year QB a very good 102 plus QBR. 

The reality is our running game underperformed in both championship games and our D underperformed in both championship games. 

In both of the biggest games Sanchez over-performed and the strength of our team underperformed.  

Young QB's on very good teams should be carried by the strength of the team.  Sanchez wasn't carried in both championship games.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

This has nothing to do with what 80 and I were discussing no one is questioning Mahomes ability during that draft or now, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Mahomes ability was never ever in question at any point but then neither was Jeff Georges or Vince Youngs what is always in question when it comes to the QB position, whether right or wrong, is what they possess upstairs. And FWIW Andy Reid did develop Patrick Mahomes  unless you think Mahomes just walked into the facility in KC and got no direction at all I'm sure a smart QB like Alex Smith helped in that regard as well.

If you think Mahomes would have succeeded on the Jets with the garbage we had on the field in comparison to the chiefs or even the Watson led Texans you're nuts. Its more likely both QB's would have been destroyed here and succeeded on their second team if they were not out right ruined first.

There is no doubt Jeff George was the consensus No. 1 pick on every NFL draft board.  There were a ton of questions about Vince Young having the arm talent and throwing ability to be a top NFL QB.  

I think Mahomes and Watson would have succeeded anywhere.  The fact that he was drafted by a good team allowed him to succeed earlier.  Reid may have cost the Chiefs a SB by not starting him as a rookie.  Reid without Mahomes with very good teams and very good QB went to the playoffs with 10 plus win teams 15 times.  It's not a coincidence that Mahomes carried Reid over the finish line.   Reid in 22 years with two excellent QB's has a playoff record of 12 and 14.  He's playoff record with Mahomes is 5 and 1.  

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Sanchez actually over performed in both AFC championship games.  As a rookie he put up a respectable 93 plus QBR.  In the Pittsburgh game as a second year QB a very good 102 plus QBR. 

The reality is our running game underperformed in both championship games and our D underperformed in both championship games. 

In both of the biggest games Sanchez over-performed and the strength of our team underperformed.  

Young QB's on very good teams should be carried by the strength of the team.  Sanchez wasn't carried in both championship games.  

This argument comes out all the time.  I disagree.  Against the Colts, what did he put up?  17?  7 was mostly off the big wildcat Brad Smith pass.  He sh*t the bed in the 2nd half and the D had injuries at CB and Manning picked them to shreds.  Against Pittsburgh, literally everything he did was garbage time.  After he fumbled on his 3rd negative yardage drive in the 1st half it because a little easier to move the ball.  

• Post of the Week 2

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tajh Boyd was basically Hackenberg in the 6th round instead of the 2nd.  Oh and they didn't waste time pretending that he was going to be the man.  A terrible player, but at the time pundits thought it was a fine pick, so I am not sure what to make of it.  I agree with not giving away a pick, but this one seemed to have more reasoning backing it up than say Scottie McKnight

I don't remember what the pundits thought of the pick.  I only attached a portion of the article that made me mention this.  Great  to know a freshman with a man crush on a senior helped the Jets scouting department. 

And, yes, Scottie Mcknight is terrible as well.

Rex Ryan: Son helped in picking QB

May 10, 2014
  • Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
  •  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Armed with inside knowledge from a source close to the head coach -- his son -- the New York Jets selected former Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd in the sixth round of the NFL draft on Saturday.

Rex Ryan's son, Seth, is a freshman wide receiver at Clemson, and that allowed him to develop a relationship with Boyd. It was Ryan who pulled the trigger with the 213th overall choice, the 11th of 12 draft picks for the Jets. Ryan likes to say he gets to make one draft pick a year.

"I think we all know my pick," a smiling Ryan said at the conclusion of the draft. "I can't lie about that. It's pretty obvious."

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This argument comes out all the time.  I disagree.  Against the Colts, what did he put up?  17?  7 was mostly off the big wildcat Brad Smith pass.  He sh*t the bed in the 2nd half and the D had injuries at CB and Manning picked them to shreds.  Against Pittsburgh, literally everything he did was garbage time.  After he fumbled on his 3rd negative yardage drive in the 1st half it because a little easier to move the ball.  

The D allowed an average of 14.75 per game and the running game averaged 172.5 and 4.5 per carry a game in 2009.  The D gave up 461 yards in that game, the running game put up 86 and under 3 yards per carry.   As you pointed out Manning torched the D in the second half.  We put the ball in the hands of a rookie QB and asked him to bring us back when our running game was done.  

In the Pittsburgh game our d sh*t the bed and put us in a huge hole in the first half.  Agreed he performed great in garbage time.  That was the D's fault.  He played very well for a young QB in a big spot.  He overperformed his performance during the season and the D and running game underperformed.  It's a team game.  

When you build a team on D and running the ball and you don't play D or run the ball very well you're probably not going to win against good teams.  Sanchez was a  rookie and sophmore in both of those runs.  He played very well and wasn't the reason those teams lost in the Championship game.  Sanchez wasn't the reason the Jets didn't make it to the SB those 2 years.  Rex didn't have his D ready against Pittsburgh and the Colts made an adjustment at half time and Rex was unable to adjust the D. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The D allowed an average of 14.75 per game and the running game averaged 172.5 and 4.5 per carry a game in 2009.  The D gave up 461 yards in that game, the running game put up 86 and under 3 yards per carry.   As you pointed out Manning torched the D in the second half.  We put the ball in the hands of a rookie QB and asked him to bring us back when our running game was done.  

In the Pittsburgh game our d sh*t the bed and put us in a huge hole in the first half.  Agreed he performed great in garbage time.  That was the D's fault.  He played very well for a young QB in a big spot.  He overperformed his performance during the season and the D and running game underperformed.  It's a team game.  

When you build a team on D and running the ball and you don't play D or run the ball very well you're probably not going to win against good teams.  Sanchez was a  rookie and sophmore in both of those runs.  He played very well and wasn't the reason those teams lost in the Championship game.  Sanchez wasn't the reason the Jets didn't make it to the SB those 2 years.  Rex didn't have his D ready against Pittsburgh and the Colts made an adjustment at half time and Rex was unable to adjust the D. 

I still disagree.  I understand where you are coming from, and I won't carry on with this past here. 

In the Steelers game they didn't even have 9 minutes of possession in the first half.  The D was getting gashed, but they got him the ball and he gave it back a minute later after literally backing up.  He was horrible in that game and no statistic is going to tell me otherwise.  I get the team was supposed to win on D and a running game, but if a team goes out to stop the run it is up to the QB to step up.  I don't think he did. 

Based on following years, it appears that Sanchez did suck and that having Wayne Hunter at RT was a much bigger deal that initially thought.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Yeah well lets not get into the Pat Mahomes Debate.

Why not?  We directly passed on 2 elite QB's in Mahomes/Watson to take a Box Safety.  If you want to bring up what we got back in a trade for Adams, then I get to consider who we passed on when taking Adams.

Hackenberg and Adams:  The 2 worst draft picks in franchise history.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Mahomes would have absolutely succeeded here.  Not like he is in KC, but he'd be a top 5 QB.  He checks every single box you could ask for. 

Watson would have been a top 12 or so QB here, as well.  And have you seen what is going on in Houston?  How are they competent, exactly?  Watson had a tremendous year AFTER they traded away Hopkins.  

Those kinds of QB's can't be denied a successful career (except with off the field stuff like in Watson's case).  You're the madman on this one, not me.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mahomes would have absolutely succeeded here.  Not like he is in KC, but he'd be a top 5 QB.  He checks every single box you could ask for.  Those kinds of QB's can't be denied a successful career.  You're the madman on this one, not me.  

Ah the only nihilism debate — nothing matters, all would fail here. By the way, O’Brien decimated the Texans roster and what did Watson do in response (besides apparently assault a lot of women)? Put up his best statistical year ever.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I still disagree.  I understand where you are coming from, and I won't carry on with this past here. 

In the Steelers game they didn't even have 9 minutes of possession in the first half.  The D was getting gashed, but they got him the ball and he gave it back a minute later after literally backing up.  He was horrible in that game and no statistic is going to tell me otherwise.  I get the team was supposed to win on D and a running game, but if a team goes out to stop the run it is up to the QB to step up.  I don't think he did. 

Based on following years, it appears that Sanchez did suck and that having Wayne Hunter at RT was a much bigger deal that initially thought.

Pittsburgh had a 9 and a half minute TD drive on their first possession.   On our first possession we got 3 first downs and the D wasn't back on the field for over 4 minutes.   The next possession our OC called a run to Cothery for minus 4 and that was followed by a false start to set up a 2nd and 19.   

Asking a rookie and second year QB to step up on the road against a better team when the strength of your team sh*ts the bed is a big ask.  

Rex didn't have the team ready in the Pittsburgh game.  The team came out flat as a pancake on D against Pittsburgh.  Rex had no answer when the Colts made their adjustments.

Sanchez wasn't a good QB.  He proved that.  He absolutely outperformed in both playoff runs.  Rex was expossed in both championship games.  The idea that Sanchez should have been expected to outperfrom either Manning or Roethlisberger in order to win those games on the road is absurd.  

I hated moving up to take Sanchez.  I was frankly surprised how well he played in the playoffs.   I wasn't surprised that he reverted to his mean.  In big spots Sanchez showed more nerve than Rex did.   Rex was great when he had the mismatch on D.  When he didn't he showed an amazing inability to to shut his mouth and fix things.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Wait are you saying that Mark Sanchez should be in the ring of Honor and your reasoning is because he played good, not great but good in 2 playoff runs which ended loses in the AFCCG ?? Sorry but I liked Sanchez and I felt he was handled like a piece of crap by an Idiot HC but I saw what looked like potential never materialize. The Kid had good mechanics good footwork and a strong arm but his accuracy and processing power were very subpar. In no way does he belong in the ring of honor not by a long shot.

What I'm saying is that, like Mark Sanchez, the Ring Of Honor players I listed all had the same 3 year blip where they were very good and then had 6 years where they were just blah compilers.  The difference being Mark wasn't here for 6 additional years to compile like Toon, Chrebet, Lyons, etc.  Take away their fade, and there is no difference between them and Mark.  And Mark has them all beat in the one area that matters most-  playoff performance.  Mark Sanchez holds every major postseason offensive record in team history.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What I'm saying is that, like Mark Sanchez, the Ring Of Honor players I listed all had the same 3 year blip where they were very good and then had 6 years where they were just blah compilers.  The difference being Mark wasn't here for 6 additional years to compile like Toon, Chrebet, Lyons, etc.  Take away their fade, and there is no difference between them and Mark.  And Mark has them all beat in the one area that matters most-  playoff performance.  Mark Sanchez holds every major postseason offensive record in team history.

SAR I

Mark was a below average starting QB in the NFL with the NY Jets.  He had 2 good playoff runs with really good teams.   Both of those teams with average NFL QB play are probably 12 plus win teams and may have had a bye and home field in the Championship games. 

He had 2 good playoff runs.  He never had a very good year as QB for the NY Jets.  

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Mark was a below average starting QB in the NFL with the NY Jets.  He had 2 good playoff runs with really good teams.   Both of those teams with average NFL QB play are probably 12 plus win teams and may have had a bye and home field in the Championship games. 

He had 2 good playoff runs.  He never had a very good year as QB for the NY Jets.  

Regular Season:  Suggest you re-watch the 2010 games against the Texans, Browns, Lions, Broncos, and Steelers where Mark Sanchez' comebacks turned a terrible 6-10 season into a very memorable 11-5 season.

Postseason:  Self-evident.  Mark was the greatest postseason quarterback in team history.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Regular Season:  Suggest you re-watch the 2010 games against the Texans, Browns, Lions, Broncos, and Steelers where Mark Sanchez' comebacks turned a terrible 6-10 season into a very memorable 11-5 season.

Postseason:  Self-evident.  Mark was the greatest postseason quarterback in team history.

SAR I

LOL.   4 of those 5 wins were against teams a combined 21 and 43 record.    The first play in the Pittsburgh game was a 97 yard TD on the kickoff by Brad Smith.  

We were 9 and 2 and in perfect position to get a bye.  Sanchez sh*t the bed against NE and Miami in back to back divisional games where we put up 3 and 6    points.

If Sanchez belongs in Ring of Honor let’s put Testaverde Pennington Woodall and Babe Parelli in too and I am a fan of Sanchez. Sanchez in a Hot Dog eating contest definitely. Ring of Honor no way 

Blaming the defense for preventing the Jets from going to a Super Bowl is like blaming the Sherpa who drags a tourist up Mount Everest for not making the summit because he trips and twists an ankle 100 feet from the peak.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

In the Denver AFCCG game we were up by 10 points but then the BB and Tuna's defense couldn't stop Elway's offense correct?? The deference in the Pitt game was the free td the offence gave Pitt without that the Jets win. I get many hate Rex but try to be fair just a tad..:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

In the Denver AFCCG game we were up by 10 points but then the BB and Tuna's defense couldn't stop Elway's offense correct?? The deference in the Pitt game was the free td the offence gave Pitt without that the Jets win. I get many hate Rex but try to be fair just a tad..:rolleyes:

Agree but the crusher in that game was the second half kickoff that due to the wind landed at the 20 yard line and Megget couldn’t field it or fall on it

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Agree but the crusher in that game was the second half kickoff that due to the wind landed at the 20 yard line and Megget couldn’t field it or fall on it

Lot's a people played bad that day but we lost by more then 1 td.. Vinny had double Elway's passing yardage but in rushing it was a pathetic 178 to 14 yds..:eek: