Mark Sanchez named New York Jets’ worst draft pick since 2006

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Quick thought experiment:

-How would the 2009 and 2010 seasons looked different if you replace Sanchez with a league-average QB?

Next question:

-How would the 2009 and 2010 seasons looked different if you replaced the defense with a league-average defense?

Stop blaming the defense for those AFC Championship losses. 

Yes. Obviously our Defense took us there. 

But 2010 vs. Pittsburgh is 100% on our Defense because Sanchez went 20/33 (60.6%), 233 passing yards, 2 TDs/0 INTs and a QB Rating of 102.2.

Stop blaming Sanchez for 2010's AFCCG loss man. 

Our Defense came out FLAT and looked like they didn't when want to play against the run. Allowed 24 1st half points. They blew it. 

We shut down Big Ben but our run defense looked worse than I ever saw them look before. Gave up 146 rushing yards and let Pittsburgh keep our Offense on the sidelines throughout the entire game. 

And against Indy our Defense got absolutely destroyed by Peyton Manning. We could've had Tom Brady @ QB and he still wouldn't have been able to stop #18 on that night.

26/39 (.666%), 378 passing yards with 4 TDs/0 INTs and a QB Rating of 123.6. 30 points scored 3 TDs and 3 FGs. 

I loved our Rex and Revis D's in 2009 and 2010 but I was like the biggest Defensive homer ever and I still remember being so pissed off @ our Defenses during both of those games not even Montana would've saved us.

I was so frustrated with our Defense vs Manning I literally wanted to break my TV by throwing my remote @ it and in 2010 I couldn't believe what I was was watching 24 1st half points allowed? Getting ran all over by Mendenhall with a 5.0 yards per carry average? It was disgusting man.

• Thumb Down 1

1. The best player Tannenbaum could have acquired. Pretty much any mediocre journeyman would have been considerably better than Sanchez for that team who had an elite defense and running game and needed a game manager, not the guy who set an NFL record for turnovers over a three year period during his tenure here.
2. First of all, he was a huge part of why we couldn't win those games -- as soon as Shonn Greene went down in the Colts game the offense became completely ineffective and the offense scoring -7 points in the first half against the Steelers was a huge factor in us losing that game.
But more importantly -- with better QB play we win more games and may not have been a wild card at all. Especially in 2009, even with "below average" QB play we easily win the AFC East with a 12-4 type record. Changes the complexion of the playoffs entirely.

1. Please lookup who was available in 2009 and who would have been better than Mark (that you could have reasonably got).

2. Funny, I remember Mark Sanchez handing off a two score lead to the defense and as soon as Donald Strickland got hurt, Peyton Manning was throwing all over Lito Sheppard. Shonn Greene getting hurt definitely hurt the offense (Thomas Jones was spent), but Mark had a 93 quarterback rating. He is far from the reason they lost. Also, if they had a better seed in the playoffs(12-4), they still would have to had to play Indy (a team steamrolling it’s way to a perfect season). They had a HOF quarterback the year before and had the same record.

Also, while Sanchez turnover hurt the Jets against the Steelers, he once again lead them to a huge comeback (102 quarterback rating) and many people (including me) thinks if he gets the ball back at the end that they win that game. You must have missed Rashard Mendenhall running right down the middle of the defense the entire game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

18 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Don't disagree however there is a negative bias when it comes to Rex that other HC's don't get. In 08 Brady is done game one with a future HOF QB Mangini goes 9-7 while the QB he dumped takes a 1-15 team and wins the east.. And I don't want to hear Farve got hurt because Clemens was in his 3rd year was that because Mangini never developed him?? The Pats went 11-5 with a QB that never started a game before..There is no equal justice in many things which includes football..

Mangini never developed Clemens?   Clemens had a long career as a backup journeymen QB.  He didn't have the goods to be developed into a good NFL starter.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

1. Please lookup who was available in 2009 and who would have been better than Mark (that you could have reasonably got).

I mean, if we traded the first round pick we used on Sanchez there presumably would have been many options.

2. Funny, I remember Mark Sanchez handing off a two score lead to the defense and as soon as Donald Strickland got hurt, Peyton Manning was throwing all over Lito Sheppard. Shonn Greene getting hurt definitely hurt the offense (Thomas Jones was spent), but Mark had a 93 quarterback rating. He is far from the reason they lost. Also, if they had a better seed in the playoffs(12-4), they still would have to had to play Indy (a team steamrolling it’s way to a perfect season). They had a HOF quarterback the year before and had the same record.

The Jets were shutout in the second half. How many teams win championship games where they are shutout in an entire half? How is that not an indictment of the QB?

While the Colts were stacking the box Sanchez hit Braylon Edwards on a beautiful bomb touchdown. He did very little the rest of the game.

True that after stifling the Colts the Jets defense gave up points in the second half -- but Peyton Manning and the Colts basically had an all time great MVP season where they could have gone undefeated had they chosen to. The defense was going to give up points eventually.

"Handing off a two score lead" is laughable. They scored 17 points in the whole game and where blanked in the second half!!!

Also, while Sanchez turnover hurt the Jets against the Steelers, he once again lead them to a huge comeback (102 quarterback rating) and many people (including me) thinks if he gets the ball back at the end that they win that game. You must have missed Rashard Mendenhall running right down the middle of the defense the entire game.

Once again -- they were shutout in an entire half!!! I'm glad Sanchez padded his stats in the second half when the Steelers started playing conservatively on defense but he was not "good" in this game.

Granted, I don't blame Sanchez for the Steelers game. The entire team came out flat in the first half and sucked. I blame Rex. But I'm just stunned by this "Mark Sanchez was good in the playoffs" narrative. He had two good games in six attempts and was dreadful in just as many.

• Upvote 1

The same arguments will just never die, huh?

Sanchez was by absolutely no measure an even slightly competent postseason QB.  He admittedly had one good game vs NE, but from there ranged from horrifically awful to below average in every other postseason game.  It takes laughable levels of revisionist history and confirmation bias to attempt to celebrate the QB of an offense shut-out in 3 out of 4 quarters of one game, and single-handedly responsible for the margin of defeat in another.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Sanchez was by absolutely no measure an even slightly competent postseason QB.  He admittedly had one good game vs NE, but from there ranged from horrifically awful to below average in every other postseason game.  It takes laughable levels of revisionist history and confirmation bias to attempt to celebrate the QB of an offense shut-out in 3 out of 4 quarters of one game, and single-handedly responsible for the margin of defeat in another.

It's about ******* time.  This is a little short though.

• Haha 1

Once again -- they were shutout in an entire half!!! I'm glad Sanchez padded his stats in the second half when the Steelers started playing conservatively on defense but he was not "good" in this game.
Granted, I don't blame Sanchez for the Steelers game. The entire team came out flat in the first half and sucked. I blame Rex. But I'm just stunned by this "Mark Sanchez was good in the playoffs" narrative. He had two good games in six attempts and was dreadful in just as many.

Who were they getting for a first round pick? Please enlighten me.

Colts game - Once Shonn Greene went out, so did the Jets run game. Pretty easy to cover when you know there is no ability to run the ball. They simply lost to the better team.

Steeler Game - that team read its press clippings and was flat.

Calling Sanchez the worst draft pick in the last 15 years is ridiculous. That’s like calling Ken O’Brien the worst quarterback in the history of the team because he could have been Marino.

• Upvote 1

Sorry I must of missed that Cincinnati game where he had 80% completion percentage as an awful game ??‍♂️

What even is this? 

Sanchez was not the Jets worst draft pick. He also wasn't very good and certainly held back two extraordinarily talented teams from reaching the SB. His numbers in those postseason games look ok, and he gets credit for being along for the ride and not making too many glaring mistakes, but if all it took for the offense to stall the first year was Shonn Greene getting hurt, that's on the QB. And the second year - my god how did he not see the free blitzer at the end of the first half which resulted in 7 points and the margin of victory? Granted it's been a decade, but I swear that was the same year that the Jets played the Ravens in the regular season and Ed Reed did literally the exact same thing and Sanchez missed it then as well. I mean, come on. You're not accounting for two of the most feared safeties in the history of the game when you line up pre-snap? Sure, he played better the second half and put up numbers against a defense playing with a 24-0 lead, but in both circumstances, a better QB gets us at least 1 SB appearance over those two years, if not 2.  

47 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Who were they getting for a first round pick? Please enlighten me.

There are always options, but they could have traded for Jay Cutler who was dealt to the Bears that offseason.

Frankly, they could have won more with Kyle Orton.

Colts game - Once Shonn Greene went out, so did the Jets run game. Pretty easy to cover when you know there is no ability to run the ball. They simply lost to the better team.

Yes, I'm aware of this -- that's the whole point. The Jets had the #1 rushing game in the NFL while Sanchez led the league in turnovers. As soon as Greene went out Sanchez was neutered and dropped a goose egg in the second half... And I agree they lost to a better team. But with the #1 ranked defense and #1 ranked running game it's pretty clear why they were better -- because Peyton Manning was the MVP and Sanchez was a turnover machine.

Steeler Game - that team read its press clippings and was flat.

I agree. The whole team was flat in the first half. Rex was the big culprit in that game, he simply didn't have the team ready to go. But it's disingenuous to absolve Sanchez in that. He, like many Jets that day, didn't play well until the game was out of reach.

Calling Sanchez the worst draft pick in the last 15 years is ridiculous. That’s like calling Ken O’Brien the worst quarterback in the history of the team because he could have been Marino.

I didn't call him that.

I can just see the argument -- that had we made a better decision in that draft we might have won a championship.

Personally I think it's Hackenberg, who was a top 50 pick and was so bad he literally never played a down in the league.

2 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Well you missed my point. 

I didn't miss your point I just think it's a bad one and don't have the energy to re-litigate this argument over and over again with a game by game breakdown of his playoff performances.

I'm just surprised that Sanchez still has defenders.

He held back an elite team and washed out of the league shortly after he left the Jets. His association with that era seems to prop him up with some fans in a way I just don't understand.

21 minutes ago, CSNY said:

All picks worst than Sanchez which cannot be disputed are

Dee Millner 

Calvin Pryor

Darren Lee

Vernon Gholston

Quinton Coples 

Sam Darnold

I just went through all our draft picks since we drafted Sanchez, holy crap we suck at drafting.

Sanchez has been one of the better first round picks since 2006. Lol.

I agree with your list. All those guys were worse than Sanchez. Gholston and Milliner were the worse picks though. They didn’t do anything. Imagine how great the defense under Tex would have been if Gholston had just been descent? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I just went through all our draft picks since we drafted Sanchez, holy crap we suck at drafting.

Sanchez has been one of the better first round picks since 2006. Lol.

I agree with your list. All those guys were worse than Sanchez. Gholston and Milliner were the worse picks though. They didn’t do anything. Imagine how great the defense under Tex would have been if Gholston had just been descent? 

Those on the list were indisputable. You can make the argument that Keller Wilkerson and Richardson were worse as well 

• Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I didn't miss your point I just think it's a bad one and don't have the energy to re-litigate this argument over and over again with a game by game breakdown of his playoff performances.

He held back an elite team and washed out of the league shortly after he left the Jets. His association with that era seems to prop him up with some fans in a way I just don't understand.

i dont think there are Sanchez defenders like there are sam fans, its just no way was Sanchez the worst.

56 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There are always options, but they could have traded for Jay Cutler who was dealt to the Bears that offseason.

Frankly, they could have won more with Kyle Orton.

no there are not always options. 

1st off Josh McDaniel just took over Denver. i doubt he would have traded Cutler to the Jets. 

2nd. the Bears had Kyle Orton, Denver obviously wanted a QB. maybe they didnt want Clemons. who hardly played.

i doubt Cutler or Orton gets traded for anything other than an established QB. which we didnt have.

would you have traded for Clemons and given up Orton or Cutler? and 2009 was one of the worst QB drafts.

sorry but there arent always trades or options cause you want it. . and since we had the 17th pick that spot isnt such a great trade chip.

• Sympathy 1

I’m not saying Sanchez was a good quarterback. He long term proved he wasn’t. I’m saying he isn’t the reason they lost those championship games. He deserves some blame, but he is like 4th or 5th on the list of people to blame.

no there are not always options. 
1st off Josh McDaniel just took over Denver. i doubt he would have traded Cutler to the Jets. 
2nd. the Bears had Kyle Orton, Denver obviously wanted a QB. maybe they didnt want Clemons. who hardly played.
i doubt Cutler or Orton gets traded for anything other than an established QB. which we didnt have.
would you have traded for Clemons and given up Orton or Cutler? and 2009 was one of the worst QB drafts.
sorry but there arent always trades or options cause you want it. . and since we had the 17th pick that spot isnt such a great trade chip.

This was going to essentially be my response to him. Thanks for saving me time.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Brett Favre went 9-7 with that team. Not much difference between 2008 and 2009 teams. Not significant enough. Favre was a pro bowler the year before and the year after he played for the Jets. How many SBs did he cost? We over achieved those years. And we definitely overachieved in the playoffs. And so did Sanchez. He was sh*t after 2010 and the Jets have been garbage ever since, save for one season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

How in the fu*k is Sanchez even remotely our worst draft pick?! He went to 2 AFCCG and hung around the league as a backup for a long time after. Sh*t, we've had 1st round picks that were out of the league before their rookie contract was up!!! Gholston, Quinten Coples, the Louisville Slugger?, Dee Miliner etc 

You're going to tell me Sanchez was a worst pick than any of those 4?! And that's just a small list off the top of my head. I'm sure there are twice as many players as that. 

Whoever the hell wrote this article hasn't a clue what they are talking about and clearly didn't do any real research.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

How in the fu*k is Sanchez even remotely our worst draft pick?! He went to 2 AFCCG and hung around the league as a backup for a long time after. Sh*t, we've had 1st round picks that were out of the league before their rookie contract was up!!! Gholston, Quinten Coples, the Louisville Slugger?, Dee Miliner etc 

You're going to tell me Sanchez was a worst pick than any of those 4?! And that's just a small list off the top of my head. I'm sure there are twice as many players as that. 

Whoever the hell wrote this article hasn't a clue what they are talking about and clearly didn't do any real research.

You are spot on. I can only think whoever wrote this spent as long doing research for the article as it took to think, “Butt fumble. Heh heh. He said ‘butt.’”

Plus I’m pretty sure they were thinking of what we gave up in the trade to get Sam ans confused the situations. We didn’t give up that much to trade up for Sanchez.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

No specific order.

1st and 2nd round valuable picks who flat out busted.

1.) Vernon Gholston.

2.) Kyle Wilson. 

3.) Quinton Coples.

4.) Dee Milliner.

5.) Calvin Pryor.

6.) Darron Lee.

7.) Sam Darnold.

8.) Vlad Ducasse.

9.) Stephen Hill.

10.) Geno Smith.

11.) Jace Amaro.

12.) Devin Smith.

13.) Christian Hackenberg.

Whoever made this list should be fired and I wish Mark Sanchez and sports players in general could actually sue these writers for Defamation of Character (in order to make them stop picking on these kids).

Defamation of Character

"Defamation is typically defined as a false statement someone makes about you, which they publish as a statement of fact, and which harms your personal and/or professional reputation or causes you other damages, including financial loss and emotional distress.".

"The most common examples of publication would be posting online, inclusion in a newspaper or magazine, or repetition on a news broadcast".

because that's what's just been done to Mark Sanchez by whoever wrote this horse crap article.

11 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Brett Favre went 9-7 with that team. Not much difference between 2008 and 2009 teams. Not significant enough. Favre was a pro bowler the year before and the year after he played for the Jets. How many SBs did he cost? We over achieved those years. And we definitely overachieved in the playoffs. And so did Sanchez. He was sh*t after 2010 and the Jets have been garbage ever since, save for one season. 

Well two things here.

1) The Jets were 8-3 having beaten the Pats in Foxboro and the #1 seed Titans in back to back weeks in 2008 before Favre got injured. So they clearly they were a good, talented team... And who knows, maybe Favre's injury did cost them a chance at a run.

2) Clearly Rex's effect changed the complexion of the team entirely. Rex had his flaws as a coach but the defense went from "solid" to "elite" overnight when he arrived. If we had the 2009 defense in 2008 we might have still won something.

• Sympathy 1

I think you're missing everyone's point. No one gives a sh*t about Mark Sanchez he was ultimately a bad and I'm happy the Jets moved from him long ago. The point you're missing is regardless of how much love you have for him there are picks that were FAR worse than Sanchez over the last 15 years. Gholston, Hill, Lee, Hackenberg, Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane all come to mind as worse.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well two things here.

1) The Jets were 8-3 having beaten the Pats in Foxboro and the #1 seed Titans in back to back weeks in 2008 before Favre got injured. So they clearly they were a good, talented team... And who knows, maybe Favre's injury did cost them a chance at a run.

2) Clearly Rex's effect changed the complexion of the team entirely. Rex had his flaws as a coach but the defense went from "solid" to "elite" overnight when he arrived. If we had the 2009 defense in 2008 we might have still won something.

Favre was healthy enough to start and play all of the last 5 games. Something tells me that team could only succeed with pro bowl caliber QB play to reach the playoffs. I don’t call that a “SB-ready” team. 

Having said that, my point was simple. Sanchez played very well in the playoffs so he clearly didn’t cost us any SBs. Manning burned the crap out of our elite defense and the secondary. That missed FG didn’t help either as it completely changed the momentum. 

Next year, the D have a head start to sh*tsburgh and it was a bad call (fumble returned for a TD that should’ve been an incompletion) that added to the woe. The defense couldn’t stop a 3rd and 10 or so late in the 4th to complete a late comeback.

Sanchez wasn’t the reason we lost either one of those games. For a rookie and a 2nd year QB, he played way beyond his league. So no, he didn’t cost us any playoff games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well two things here.

In a Brady less year the Jets lost to the Pats at home and needed OT to beat them in Foxboro and until 2008 the Pats QB had never started a NFL game before..

Favre was healthy enough to start and play all of the last 5 games. Something tells me that team could only succeed with pro bowl caliber QB play to reach the playoffs. I don’t call that a “SB-ready” team. 
Having said that, my point was simple. Sanchez played very well in the playoffs so he clearly didn’t cost us any SBs. Manning burned the crap out of our elite defense and the secondary. That missed FG didn’t help either as it completely changed the momentum. 
Next year, the D have a head start to sh*tsburgh and it was a bad call (fumble returned for a TD that should’ve been an incompletion) that added to the woe. The defense couldn’t stop a 3rd and 10 or so late in the 4th to complete a late comeback.
Sanchez wasn’t the reason we lost either one of those games. For a rookie and a 2nd year QB, he played way beyond his league. So no, he didn’t cost us any playoff games. 

This is the point I’ve been trying to make over and over.

22 hours ago, jgb said:

You are spot on. I can only think whoever wrote this spent as long doing research for the article as it took to think, “Butt fumble. Heh heh. He said ‘butt.’”

Plus I’m pretty sure they were thinking of what we gave up in the trade to get Sam ans confused the situations. We didn’t give up that much to trade up for Sanchez.

This stroll down memory lane has me thinking about the chance this team had for sustained success and playoff football; The opportunity they had to be a long term competitive team that they completely pissed away. 

Plenty might argue with me on this, but I don't think that Tanny was a horrible GM or even a very bad one, tbh. We've seen HORRIBLE since Mike Tannenbaum, and he definitely isn't it. He has his misses but he had some pretty damn good draft picks for us over the years. That's why I completely believe that the string of atrocious, roster destroying busts was the result of giving Rex Ryan final say in the draft room. Tanny found us Brick, Mangold, Revis, etc. I wholeheartedly believe that the horrible picks of Coples, Miliner, Louisville slugger, etc also the subsequent ignoring of offense during those years was the result of too much input given to Rex Ryan.  

Tanny had built a damn good roster with Mangini. One that even Rex was able to ride to those 2 championship games. Then Rex shows up and it's give me the drafts for defense and we'll win without the offense mattering. ?

I know Sanchez played his part in the teams ultimate failures but just now I can't help think what could have been if Tanny had continued to build the roster the way he did during the Mangini years and locked Rex tf out of the draft room. We could have conceivably moved on from Sanchez with a Fitz like game manager and continued to be a competitive playoff team for years. Instead we watched as Rex led drafts completely depleted the roster of any talent at all and we've literally been trying to rebuild ever since. 

Obviously it's revisionist history, but I honestly believe that had we fired Rex and kept Tanny (and subsequently never having hired Idzik and maybe Mac) I'd be willing to bet we would have seen the playoffs again since then! 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

This stroll down memory lane has me thinking about the chance this team had for sustained success and playoff football; The opportunity they had to be a long term competitive team that they completely pissed away. 

Plenty might argue with me on this, but I don't think that Tanny was a horrible GM or even a very bad one, tbh. We've seen HORRIBLE since Mike Tannenbaum, and he definitely isn't it. He has his misses but he had some pretty damn good draft picks for us over the years. That's why I completely believe that the string of atrocious, roster destroying busts was the result of giving Rex Ryan final say in the draft room. Tanny found us Brick, Mangold, Revis, etc. I wholeheartedly believe that the horrible picks of Coples, Miliner, Louisville slugger, etc also the subsequent ignoring of offense during those years was the result of too much input given to Rex Ryan.  

Tanny had built a damn good roster with Mangini. One that even Rex was able to ride to those 2 championship games. Then Rex shows up and it's give me the drafts for defense and we'll win without the offense mattering. ?

I know Sanchez played his part in the teams ultimate failures but just now I can't help think what could have been if Tanny had continued to build the roster the way he did during the Mangini years and locked Rex tf out of the draft room. We could have conceivably moved on from Sanchez with a Fitz like game manager and continued to be a competitive playoff team for years. Instead we watched as Rex led drafts completely depleted the roster of any talent at all and we've literally been trying to rebuild ever since. 

Obviously it's revisionist history, but I honestly believe that had we fired Rex and kept Tanny (and subsequently never having hired Idzik and maybe Mac) I'd be willing to bet we would have seen the playoffs again since then! 

Rex would rather have “ THE #1 DEFENSE IN THE NFL” and miss the playoffs than win a Super Bowl with a great offense carrying a mediocre defense. Defense is his identity. His own self-worthy is more important than any team. That’s why he constantly lobbied and nagged his GMs to draft defense. It’s completely backwards. A team should over-invest on the side of the ball opposite their HC’s area of expertise. An expert should be able do more with less — and almost relish the challenge of doing so. Otherwise what is the value proposition of hiring him at all?