If you could go back in time and change one non-draft Jets decision in last 10 years, what would it be?

jgb

What would you change?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. You invent a DeLorean time machine. You have enough plutonium for one journey into the past and back. What non-draft Jets decision do you change in last 10 years?

• Stop the Jets from extending Sanchez
    • Keep Rex
    • Torpedo Idzik's candidacy for GM
    • Not hire Todd Bowles
    • Stop Fitz' 2nd contract
    • Prevent Macc from becoming GM
    • Stop Revis' return to the Jets
    • Stop the Trumaine Johnson signing
    • Traded for Ryan Tannehill to compete with a faltering Darnold
    • Keep Bowles
    • Erase Gase
    • Stop the Le'Veon Bell signing
    • Stop the Mosely signing
    • Keep Sam to build around

You invent a DeLorean time machine. You have enough plutonium for one journey into the past and back. Due to some quirk in the fabric of space-time, you can only influence the Jets. What one non-draft Jets decision do you change in last 10 years? You can only change one decision -- so if you vote to stop the Gase hiring, for example, you can't also select the next HC.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just misses out on the 10 years limit but mine would be to make sure we kept Farve for a 2nd year and not drafted Sanchez.

As for the vote I voted do not hire mccagnan.

Also voted Macc. Gives us a chance of drafting Mahomes/Watson, which puts Jets on a totally different pathway.

• Upvote 2

My answer would have been giving Sanchez the unearned second contract, as I think that spelled the beginning of the end for the Rex era. 

However, out of the choices listed, I went with avoiding Macc Daddy altogether - no brainer, IMO. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just misses out on the 10 years limit but mine would be to make sure we kept Farve for a 2nd year and not drafted Sanchez.

As for the vote I voted do not hire mccagnan.

Could we have realistically convinced Favre to come back. I thought Rex called Favre after being hired to gauge his interest? 

Having Favre in 2009/2010 would have been super interesting. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

Went with torpedoing Idzik for GM. If you hire a competent GM then you probably never hire McCagnan either. Thus avoiding 2 incompetent GMs

I see the logic but let me tell you why I don’t think it would make a difference. Almost any GM would’ve selected Geno after he fell to us in the second round — Jets had a huge need and it was a sound football decision. Once they did that, they’d be dead man walking just like Idzik was. We would still have hired Macc.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I voted Gase because be ruined me as a Jets fan and made me root against my own team for the first and last time ever. 

Now you’re a real Jets fan. Welcome to the club.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Nah nah, don’t be hasty guys. He did win an individual award for his remarkable achievement. But then again so did others…funny story. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-nfl-executive-of-the-year-award-cursed/

526F48A6-8876-474E-BDF4-78AA106C677B.jpeg

In a move that surprised many, the New York Jets on Wednesday fired general manager Mike Maccagnan and named head coach Adam Gase as the team’s interim GM. The timing was unusual in that Maccagnan just last month had job security enough to oversee the team’s draft, including the selection of the third overall pick in defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. Maccagnan was likewise given the freedom to spend $125 million in free agency this offseason, which included paying for easily replaceable production by signing former Pittsburgh star Le’veon Bell at running back. Maccagnan was also reportedly instrumental in hiring Gase, a decision that may have ultimately led to his ouster
Maccagnan’s fall from grace was precipitous. He was named 
executive of the year by the Pro Football Writers of Americafor the 2015 season, his first as Jets GM. That season, he helped shepherd the Jets to a 10-6 record, coming up a win short of the playoffs. Now, less than four years after being recognized as the top executive in the league, Maccagnan is unemployed. But perhaps we should have known his days were numbered when he won that award. Shockingly, this honor has become the front office equivalent of the Madden curse. Seven of the past 10 award winners have been fired. Of the three winners who still have jobs, one — Jerry Jones — is an owner who is unlikely to fire himself, and the other two are the most recent recipients: Howie Roseman in 2017 and Chris Ballard in 2018.

Season GM Team Status
2018 Chris Ballard Indianapolis Colts Active
2017 Howie Roseman Philadelphia Eagles Active
2016 Reggie McKenzie Oakland Raiders Fired Dec. 10, 2018
2015 Mike Maccagnan New York Jets Fired May 15, 2019
2014 Jerry Jones Dallas Cowboys Owner
2013 John Dorsey Kansas City Chiefs Fired June 22, 2017
2012 Ryan Grigson Indianapolis Colts Fired Jan. 21, 2017
2011 Trent Baalke San Francisco 49ers Fired Jan. 1, 2016
2010 Scott Pioli Kansas City Chiefs Fired Jan. 4, 2013
2009 Bill Polian Indianapolis Colts Fired Jan. 3 2012

For the seven fired GMs, the average time from winning executive of the year to being unemployed works out to a brisk 1,122 days, or just over three years. Former Colts’ GM Bill Polian leads the seven in time served, with a 12-year run with the Colts and 22 years total as an NFL executive prior to winning a record fifth executive of the year award in 2009. He stepped down as GM after the 2009 season but remained vice chairman of the team, and then he began the decade of despair by getting unceremoniously fired — along with his son, who succeeded him as GM — two years later.
It’s interesting to note that the longest-tenured GMs in the NFL who aren’t also owners — the Patriots’ Bill Belichick and the Steelers’ Kevin Colbert — have never won the award. Neither has Washington’s on-again, off-again GM Bruce Allen, and he’s been able to hold on to a spot in the organization for the past nine years. Perhaps owners and league observers are giving GMs both too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things come up pear-shaped. Half of the honored executives during the past decade worked as GMs of the Colts and the Chiefs, suggesting that the teams they inherited might have been just as important to their success.
Often, GMs on the list rose and fell based on the fortunes of their head coaches or quarterbacks. San Francisco’s Trent Baalke won the award while paired with head coach Jim Harbaugh, who would take the Niners to the brink of Super Bowl glory. But Harbaugh departed for Michigan, and Baalke was quickly dismissed after he hitched his wagon to a 
sweaty and confusedJim Tomsula and the ghost of Chip Kelly. Indianapolis’s Ryan Grigson, gifted the first overall pick in his rookie year as a GM, took an absolute no-brainer in quarterback Andrew Luck and reaped the benefits for five years, posting a record of 52-34 as a GM before being fired.
The reigning executive of the year, Chris Ballard, might be an exception. Ballard worked under fellow award winner and former mentor John Dorsey in Kansas City. Dorsey was fired soon after Ballard left for Indianapolis, and 
some insiders have pointed to Ballard’s management acumen and attention to detail as something Dorsey leaned on and was unable to replicate in Ballard’s absence. Dorsey landed on his feet in Cleveland, however, and he inherited both the first and fourth overall picks in the 2018 draft, setting himself and his team up for success.
If Maccagnan has an opportunity at a second act as an NFL GM, he should probably follow in the footsteps of Baalke and Dorsey and seek out a team with a good coach and a high draft pick. Then he should probably pray that he never wins another executive of the year award.

Without question, keep Mark Sanchez, Brian Schottenheimer, and Mike Tannenbaum and fire Rex Ryan.

That one decision to let Rex scapegoat the QB, the OC, and the GM is the biggest mistake Woody Johnson ever made and it has sent us on this death spiral the last 10 years.

We should have kept the kid quarterback who showed such postseason promise, made him comfortable with his OC and a set of young receivers, and let the GM who made us into a contender continue to do so.  

SAR I

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's such a dumb award.  Decisions made by GM's are really only felt years after they're made.  So an award that rewards a GM for THAT year's work is silly. 

A GM could take a 3-13 team, sign a bunch of FA's, get them to 9-7, and get Exec of the Year for that.  Meanwhile, those FA signings would kill the franchise's future.  

Yes but you do have to appreciate the irony at the end of the article: “If Maccagnan has an opportunity at a second act as an NFL GM…” 

Ok then…

521A2F3A-A67B-4545-9434-42162B3A22E1.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Also voted Macc. Gives us a chance of drafting Mahomes/Watson, which puts Jets on a totally different pathway.

In retrospect, having Watson as QB now would be a disaster.  The Texans are in the worst position and may be the worst team in the NFL and are in QB limbo now.  Will Watson ever play again?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

In retrospect, having Watson as QB now would be a disaster.  The Texans are in the worst position and may be the worst team in the NFL and are in QB limbo now.  Will Watson ever play again?

Yeah but still inexcusable to pass on him 4 years ago 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Without question, keep Mark Sanchez, Brian Schottenheimer, and Mike Tannenbaum and fire Rex Ryan.

That one decision to let Rex scapegoat the QB, the OC, and the GM is the biggest mistake Woody Johnson ever made and it has sent us on this death spiral the last 10 years.

We should have kept the kid quarterback who showed such postseason promise, made him comfortable with his OC and a set of young receivers, and let the GM who made us into a contender continue to do so.  

SAR I

Seriously?  All three had such stellar post-Jets careers!  Sanchez was a roster-filling back up and 3rd QB for a season or two.  Schotty managed to be the only coordinator who figured out how to make Russell Wilson ineffective.  And Tanny failed in Miami and now is ...nothing.  If any of them were any good, they would have flourished after their Jets careers and none did.......at all.

• Upvote 1

Stopping Idzik changes everything in the timeline. You stop Idzik, and you change all that other BS that follows. Doesn't mean it gets better just different. Roll them bones... Or, maybe not. Maybe all that BS was required to get to where they are now as we head into the inaugural season of the Saleh Wilson dynasty. Temporal mechanics is a cruel mistress.   

Fun with Temporal Mechanics – Taylor Community Library

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I go back to the start of the team's downfall.  The Sanchez extension.  They basically gave it to him to soothe his delicate psyche after the flirtation with Peyton Manning fell apart.  That goofy big foreheaded ****er screwed us at least three times - 1997 draft, not coming over in 2012 and recommending Gase to Johnson.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1