If you could go back in time and change one non-draft Jets decision in last 10 years, what would it be?

What would you change?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. You invent a DeLorean time machine. You have enough plutonium for one journey into the past and back. What non-draft Jets decision do you change in last 10 years?

• Stop the Jets from extending Sanchez
    • Keep Rex
    • Torpedo Idzik's candidacy for GM
    • Not hire Todd Bowles
    • Stop Fitz' 2nd contract
    • Prevent Macc from becoming GM
    • Stop Revis' return to the Jets
    • Stop the Trumaine Johnson signing
    • Traded for Ryan Tannehill to compete with a faltering Darnold
    • Keep Bowles
    • Erase Gase
    • Stop the Le'Veon Bell signing
    • Stop the Mosely signing
    • Keep Sam to build around

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Could we have realistically convinced Favre to come back. I thought Rex called Favre after being hired to gauge his interest? 

Having Favre in 2009/2010 would have been super interesting. 

Favre did not want to come back. He was just using the Jets as a hopping off point to get to Minnesota.  

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went with torpedoing Idzik for GM. If you hire a competent GM then you probably never hire McCagnan either. Thus avoiding 2 incompetent GMs

Just misses out on the 10 years limit but mine would be to make sure we kept Farve for a 2nd year and not drafted Sanchez. As for the vote I voted do not hire mccagnan.

You need an ALL of the above button.  

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I go back to the start of the team's downfall.  The Sanchez extension.  They basically gave it to him to soothe his delicate psyche after the flirtation with Peyton Manning fell apart.  That goofy big foreheaded ****er screwed us at least three times - 1997 draft, not coming over in 2012 and recommending Gase to Johnson.

Changed first option to be Sanchez extension good call 

22 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Seriously?  All three had such stellar post-Jets careers!  Sanchez was a roster-filling back up and 3rd QB for a season or two.  Schotty managed to be the only coordinator who figured out how to make Russell Wilson ineffective.  And Tanny failed in Miami and now is ...nothing.  If any of them were any good, they would have flourished after their Jets careers and none did.......at all.

Ineffective?  40 TDs?  7 yards from his career high? 69%?   Wilson probably had the best stretch of his career under Schottenheimer.

• Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah but still inexcusable to pass on him 4 years ago 

But where would the Jets be now?  Exchange Watson for Adams and the Jets still don't have a title with this roster.  And they don't have the extra draft picks from the Adams trade. And they don't have a QB because of Watson's situation.  I'd say the Jets are better off now with how that draft played out - two extra first round picks and not having the Watson headache.  

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

But where would the Jets be now?  Exchange Watson for Adams and the Jets still don't have a title with this roster.  And they don't have the extra draft picks from the Adams trade. And they don't have a QB because of Watson's situation.  I'd say the Jets are better off now with how that draft played out - two extra first round picks and not having the Watson headache.  

When all of this shakes out and Watson is in Miami winning division titles, this post won't age well.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I’d still erase Macc. 90% chance his replacement takes a QB and 50/50 it’s Mahomes. Gotta roll with those odds.

• Upvote 3
32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ineffective?  40 TDs?  7 yards from his career high? 69%?   Wilson probably had the best stretch of his career under Schottenheimer.

He was fired because the offense fizzled the last third of last season because Schotty - as "shocking" as it may seem - went conservative.  If Schotty is so great, why does he keep getting fired?  

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He was fired because the offense fizzled the last third of last season because Schotty - as "shocking" as it may seem - went conservative.  If Schotty is so great, why does he keep getting fired?  

I don't think anyone is saying Schottenheimer is "great".  Only that he received far too much blame for Mark Sanchez's failures.  Just like Paul Hackett received far too much blame for Chad Pennington's failures, and the coaches who oversaw Geno Smith and Sam Darnold were also blamed far too much for those QB's failures. 

We even saw Chan Gailey credited a lot for Ryan Fitzpatrick's success in 2015, then blamed in a big way for the offense's struggles in 2016, lol.

JN never learns.  Some OC's are better at exploiting matchups than others, and OC's do matter a bit.  But roughly 70 %, or more, of an OC's success comes down to the QB he's paired with.  Without a QB, no OC can out-scheme the opposition with any consistency. 

Even Andy Reid, the best offensive mind of our generation, still needs QB's to succeed.  That's why Reid was smart enough to trade up for Mahomes and dump Alex Smith (despite Smith coming off a career year).  That of course seems like an easy decision in hindsight, but many here criticized it at the time.  

• Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You don't think they could have gotten 2 firsts for Watson in July 2020?  Don't forget, if they had drafted Watson they wouldn't have had to trade up in 2018 and would have 3 more 2nds.   If they had drafted Nelson they could either have stayed put this year and had 2 extra 3rds or had a seriously epic line with Becton, AVT, and Nelson.  The idea that they wouldn't be better off for making better decisions is even more ludicrous than this time machine exercise. 

• Upvote 1

Preventing Mac's hiring. 

If we hired a great GM in 2015 the last five years could have looked very different.

Pretty much everything else on the list carries baggage or is conditional on other factors. 2015 was a chance for a clean start -- I didn't love Bowles but I think with a GM even he could have won.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JN never learns.  Some OC's are better at exploiting matchups than others, and OC's do matter a bit.  But roughly 70 %, or more, of an OC's success comes down to the QB he's paired with.  Without a QB, no OC can out-scheme the opposition with any consistency. 

Even Andy Reid, the best offensive mind of our generation, still needs QB's to succeed.  That's why Reid was smart enough to trade up for Mahomes and dump Alex Smith (despite Smith coming off a career year).  That of course seems like an easy decision in hindsight, but many here criticized it at the time.  

I don't disagree with your overall point but I think both Kyle Shanahan and Andy Reid have proven they can win with mediocre or worse QBs.

• Upvote 1

Don’t extend Sanchez and, in turn, draft his replacement in Russell Wilson.  So much changes from that one decision.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't disagree with your overall point but I think both Kyle Shanahan and Andy Reid have proven they can win with mediocre or worse QBs.

But there are limits to how much they can win, and those are the 2 best offensive minds in the game.  Add Sean McVay too to round out the top 3.  Just because they CAN win with mediocre or worse QB's doesn't mean its a good idea, or that suddenly its all their fault if those QB's fail (like people soured on McVay when Goff failed). 

They know it too, because they all looked to get upgrades.  Reid upgraded from Smith to Mahomes.  McVay upgraded from Goff to Stafford.  Shanahan is trying to upgrade from Garoppolo by trading up for Trey Lance (and rumor has it he was very interested in Stafford, too).  

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But there are limits to how much they can win, and those are the 2 best offensive minds in the game.  Add Sean McVay too to round out the top 3.  Just because they CAN win with mediocre or worse QB's doesn't mean its a good idea, or that suddenly its all their fault if those QB's fail (like people soured on McVay when Goff failed). 

They know it too, because they all looked to get upgrades.  Reid upgraded from Smith to Mahomes.  McVay upgraded from Goff to Stafford.  Shanahan is trying to upgrade from Garoppolo by trading up for Trey Lance (and rumor has it he was very interested in Stafford, too).  

Completely agree. Just saying that coaching makes a difference -- we've seen Matt Ryan play at an MVP level with Shanahan, we've seen him get the most out of countless guys, etc.

Personally I'm very curious what McVay does with Stafford. Wouldn't be shocked to see a MVP caliber season from him and the Rams as top SB contenders.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Seriously?  All three had such stellar post-Jets careers!  Sanchez was a roster-filling back up and 3rd QB for a season or two.  Schotty managed to be the only coordinator who figured out how to make Russell Wilson ineffective.  And Tanny failed in Miami and now is ...nothing.  If any of them were any good, they would have flourished after their Jets careers and none did.......at all.

It was the better choice than Rex Ryan, the worst of the four.

No one knows what the alternate universe would have looked like.  But we know that what came thereafter was absolute sh*te. 

You all swore that getting rid of Mark Sanchez was going to improve the QB position.  It's been 11 years and it hasn't.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Completely agree. Just saying that coaching makes a difference -- we've seen Matt Ryan play at an MVP level with Shanahan, we've seen him get the most out of countless guys, etc.

Personally I'm very curious what McVay does with Stafford. Wouldn't be shocked to see a MVP caliber season from him and the Rams as top SB contenders.

Coaching matters a great deal when you compare Andy Reid to Chan Gailey.  It does not matter when you compare Chan Gailey to Brian Schottenheimer.  But there are only 2-3 "special" OC's in the NFL at any given time, and even they need great QB's to win.  

NBA HC's are a lot like NFL Offensive Coordinators in that sense.    Unless you're one of a handful or so of special coaches in league history, there isn't much difference between the rest of the pack, and it all comes down to the players on the floor in those instances.  And even the greats need superstars.  Phil Jackson needed MJ/Pippen/Kobe/Shaq.  Steve Kerr needs Steph.  Popovich needed Duncan/Kawhi.  

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Favre did not want to come back. He was just using the Jets as a hopping off point to get to Minnesota.  

The thing is Tanny gave him his release had he not he was committed to the Jets for 2008-2010.. So if he wanted to play again it would have had to be for the Jets or retire..

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think anyone is saying Schottenheimer is "great".  Only that he received far too much blame for Mark Sanchez's failures.  Just like Paul Hackett received far too much blame for Chad Pennington's failures, and the coaches who oversaw Geno Smith and Sam Darnold were also blamed far too much for those QB's failures. 

We even saw Chan Gailey credited a lot for Ryan Fitzpatrick's success in 2015, then blamed in a big way for the offense's struggles in 2016, lol.

Every year just becomes more and more clear that a QB is basically everything. Just look north within our own division. From “best coach in history” back to good ol’ Mumbles within 1 season.

• Upvote 1

The last thing I'm wasting a time machine trip on is the Jets.  I'm thinking about going back to the day I met that cute blonde in a park at PSU in the late 70s.  Turned into quite a stimulating day, night & week.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You don't think they could have gotten 2 firsts for Watson in July 2020?  Don't forget, if they had drafted Watson they wouldn't have had to trade up in 2018 and would have 3 more 2nds.   If they had drafted Nelson they could either have stayed put this year and had 2 extra 3rds or had a seriously epic line with Becton, AVT, and Nelson.  The idea that they wouldn't be better off for making better decisions is even more ludicrous than this time machine exercise. 

Please.  If they drafted Watson, they would not be trading him in July 2020.  And if they had him now, he would be the same ball and chain he is with Houston. It's just a bad situation and as part of this time machine exercise you have the benefit of hindsight. Right now, Watson is an albatross. That may change in a year, but it is currently a bad situation and I would not want him on the Jets, even with the three 2nds back and the domino effect that has.

Mike Maccagnan easily set this franchise back 5+ years....he’s the obvious choice for me. We could have survived all the other blunders if we would have hired an actual competent GM at the time we hired Mac.....

• Upvote 1

Macc.  We wasted the 5 years he was GM and the couple of years it will take to make up for his wasted years

• Upvote 1

This is the correct answer. If we are talking time machine, you select a nexus event  - an event that has the greatest chance to alter subsequent events. Everything on that list except for the Sanchez extension occurred AFTER Idzik was hired. And while the Sanchez extension was not good, they were going to have to pay or move on from Sanchez the following year and still would have no Quarterback. If the Jets hired someone at GM (not Idzik) who had some influence with Rex and was willing to work with him, maybe the O gets fixed and maybe Rex stops viewing assistant coaches as full employment for old drinking buddies --- and then the rest of the dominoes fall. Hey, Rex still gets fired ultimately (most HC's do) but if the GM was solid, the next HC would be more successful.

Bottom line is that if you want to change the Jets' recent history, Idzik is the key.

0728s9-idzik-80p.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are 100 roads to a championship. 95 of them start with a FQB.

40 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Please.  If they drafted Watson, they would not be trading him in July 2020.  And if they had him now, he would be the same ball and chain he is with Houston. It's just a bad situation and as part of this time machine exercise you have the benefit of hindsight. Right now, Watson is an albatross. That may change in a year, but it is currently a bad situation and I would not want him on the Jets, even with the three 2nds back and the domino effect that has.

There’s also a chance Macc’s hypothetical replacement drafts Mahomes. That’s a chance worth taking.

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Also...my time machine would be based on a Plymouth 'Cuda rather than a DeLorean. 

Plum Crazy Purple, if we're getting specific. 

hip hop trill GIF

7 hours ago, jgb said:

You invent a DeLorean time machine. You have enough plutonium for one journey into the past and back. Due to some quirk in the fabric of space-time, you can only influence the Jets. What one non-draft Jets decision do you change in last 10 years? You can only change one decision -- so if you vote to stop the Gase hiring, for example, you can't also select the next HC.

All of the above 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, freestater said:

Also...my time machine would be based on a Plymouth 'Cuda rather than a DeLorean. 

Plum Crazy Purple, if we're getting specific. 

It's in the garage and it is FK5 deep burnt orange metallic, thank you very much.

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Went with torpedoing Idzik for GM. If you hire a competent GM then you probably never hire McCagnan either. Thus avoiding 2 incompetent GMs

Well if you didn’t hire Idzik then you probably hire Macc. Who in turn bombs and Idzik then gets hired as the next GM and subsequently bombs. There’s no way to escape destiny. 

• Upvote 1