If you could go back in time and change one non-draft Jets decision in last 10 years, what would it be?

jgb

What would you change?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. You invent a DeLorean time machine. You have enough plutonium for one journey into the past and back. What non-draft Jets decision do you change in last 10 years?

• Stop the Jets from extending Sanchez
    • Keep Rex
    • Torpedo Idzik's candidacy for GM
    • Not hire Todd Bowles
    • Stop Fitz' 2nd contract
    • Prevent Macc from becoming GM
    • Stop Revis' return to the Jets
    • Stop the Trumaine Johnson signing
    • Traded for Ryan Tannehill to compete with a faltering Darnold
    • Keep Bowles
    • Erase Gase
    • Stop the Le'Veon Bell signing
    • Stop the Mosely signing
    • Keep Sam to build around

On 7/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, jgb said:

You invent a DeLorean time machine. You have enough plutonium for one journey into the past and back. Due to some quirk in the fabric of space-time, you can only influence the Jets. What one non-draft Jets decision do you change in last 10 years? You can only change one decision -- so if you vote to stop the Gase hiring, for example, you can't also select the next HC.

Hire Andy Reid after the 2012 season. And yes, that's one decision; I only dump Rex if Reid takes my call.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, St Louie Jet Fan said:

The fact that you listed 14 completely sh!tty moves this franchise has made, AND thats just scratching the surface makes me wonder how any of us still support this team.

Why do you stick needles under your fingernails? Because it feels so good when you take them out.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:10 AM, #27TheDominator said:

I think you know I disagree, but to me getting Favre was the problem.  Mangini ran one of those run through a wall for me type teams.  Ones that require players without ego.  That's not Brett Favre.  Getting Favre was a disaster for Mangini and It is pretty obvious that he signed on.  

We've had nothing but disaster at the QB position for about 50 years.  Favre was a worthwhile gamble over Pennington/Clemens/etc.  

And on the list of disastrous seasons in Jets history, that 2008 campaign doesn't even register on our all-time list of disastrous seasons, even with such a horrendous late season collapse.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've had nothing but disaster at the QB position for about 50 years.  Favre was a worthwhile gamble over Pennington/Clemens/etc.  

And on the list of disastrous seasons in Jets history, that 2008 campaign doesn't even register on our all-time list of disastrous seasons, even with such a horrendous late season collapse.

It wasn't a disaster for the Jets.  It was a disaster for Mangini.  The Jets looked to be building something.  They started from scratch and were on the upswing.  They tried to skip some steps with Favre.  It was obvious Favre only came to the Jets as a stepping stone to getting to Minnesota.  It may have been a worthwhile gamble for the Jets and Tannenbaum, but it was put up or shut up for Mangini.   On top of it, I think there was a feeling that he lost the team.  Letting the inmates run the asylum is bad for a micromanaging wannabe disciplinarian like Mangini.  In the long run they would have been better off if they traded up for Ryan or had just taken Flacco.  

• Upvote 1

You invent a DeLorean time machine. You have enough plutonium for one journey into the past and back. Due to some quirk in the fabric of space-time, you can only influence the Jets. What one non-draft Jets decision do you change in last 10 years? You can only change one decision -- so if you vote to stop the Gase hiring, for example, you can't also select the next HC.

I would have either kept Tanny in 2012 and tied him to Rex or just fire Rex with Tannebaum. The Jets wasted two years with Idzik/Rex in an arranged marriage that neither wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mfmartin said:

I would have either kept Tanny in 2012 and tied him to Rex or just fire Rex with Tannebaum. The Jets wasted two years with Idzik/Rex in an arranged marriage that neither wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's an interesting point. With the benefit of years of reflection, Idzik has been rehabilitated a bit in my eyes. One, because Macc was so bad and two, most of his non-draft decisions -- who to dump, who to pick up in FA -- were sound football decisions. He had extremely restrained freedom of action due to the cap Hell left over by Tanny. Of course, his drafts were putrid, which is probably the most important duty of a GM -- you can always hire a guy like Idzik to manage the cap situation. Don't need to make him the GM.

I also don't think Tanny was as bad as many remember -- sure he did the inexcusable Sanchez extension and deserves significant criticism for that. But overall, he strategy was to go "all in" when the team was in a championship window, which he did. When you don't have a FQB, that's what you have to do -- when you see a limited championship window you gotta go for it. Didn't work out in the end but he got pretty close.