Thinking back to the draft

7 minutes ago, undertow said:

There was way too many advocating for CBs and pass rushers early in the draft....this year wasn't the time for that and Douglas realizing that is what won me over.,,,that and trading up.

Agree with this.  Actually I was very surprised he traded up. Seemed like all he ever wanted to do was trade back to acquire more picks...

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

There was way too many advocating for CBs and pass rushers early in the draft....this year wasn't the time for that and Douglas realizing that is what won me over.,,,that and trading up.

Wasn't Lawson already in the fold prior to the draft? Took some pressure off of him. Too bad Moses wasn't cut earlier and we could have saved ourselves 2 #3 picks. Of course Moses is only a short term solution.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

58 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wasn't Lawson already in the fold prior to the draft? Took some pressure off of him. Too bad Moses wasn't cut earlier and we could have saved ourselves 2 #3 picks. Of course Moses is only a short term solution.

JD really wanted AVT

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JetsFanShawn said:

how about getting a new GM head coach and  let Zach Wilson work with the new QB coach and let there line work with Wilson and there Defensive Arion gleen work out the D

we got everything but aaron glenn????  I think????

3 hours ago, undertow said:

To be fair though at the time we had 2 and 23 most of us thought we’d miss on the top OL guys. If you ran that poll with 2+14 the polls would have shifted towards the offense for sure.  I couldn’t be happier with the way this off season turned out and there’s still room to add a vet cb. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, JetsFanShawn said:

how about getting a new GM head coach and  let Zach Wilson work with the new QB coach and let there line work with Wilson and there Defensive Arion gleen work out the D

Arion gleen....     one of my favoritz xJets.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, jgb said:

BAP is dead. Need is here to stay. Thank God for JD.

I think the biggest difference is JD understands the importance of positional value. Picking a Strong Safety at 6 is very stupid.

High picks should only be reserved for QB’s, Oline (Tackle), Corner, Receiver, Edge rushers.

Plus his ability to read the board and move up and down it, and still take the player he wants. Next year’s draft is going to be even better with two 1sts and two 2nd’s.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

21 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I created a thread begging for JD to go QB/RB/WR/O-Line with our first 4 picks. 

Joe Douglas went QB/O-Line/WR/RB with his first 4 picks. 

I couldn't have been happier.

Totally agree with you man! 

Now don’t come in here commenting on DWCs nick, just don’t. 

F6511E96-6F82-425D-9981-1B265D9ABE6E.gif

BAP is not dead .. it's on hiatus until we have a competative roster across all positions.

Incidentally... I thought a lot of us called the draft exactly as it fell in terms of positions taken when.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

1. Best QB in draft

2. Best G in draft

3. Best slot guy in draft (though Moore is more an "everwhere" reveiver)

4. One of the best RBs in the draft, who may thought was as high as 2nd in the entire draft and would gone before the 2nd round was over

Realizing how well the first 4 rounds went still amazes me! 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, jgb said:

BAP is dead. Need is here to stay. Thank God for JD.

all fairness, in my opinion it's a mixture.  i don't think the really good gm's go purely BAP.  of course the other side of this is most teams have good sized holes to fill at a number of positions so even pure BAP can yield a player of need.  as for this past draft, it's plenty obvious douglas knows way more about how the team should be built and the available players.  i wouldn't have been so surprised to see them draft a corner with their second draft pick and i don't think i would've used it on a guard either.  but this tucker fellow seems to be pretty darn good and worth it.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

all fairness, in my opinion it's a mixture.  i don't think the really good gm's go purely BAP.  of course the other side of this is most teams have good sized holes to fill at a number of positions so even pure BAP can yield a player of need.  as for this past draft, it's plenty obvious douglas knows way more about how the team should be built and the available players.  i wouldn't have been so surprised to see them draft a corner with their second draft pick and i don't think i would've used it on a guard either.  but this tucker fellow seems to be pretty darn good and worth it.

If you consider something other than pure player ranking, it’s not BAP by definition.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Well.  When you have NOTHING, you can basically do both.

Disagree entirely. Some holes are worse then others. Drafting a safety over Mahomes or Watson because Mel Kiper called him “the best player in the draft” should be grounds for summary execution. Don’t care if the secondary was also a hole.

• Post of the Week 1

On 7/9/2021 at 2:22 PM, undertow said:

I was so dreading us getting Dee Milliner 2.0 from VT.  I was so happy with the AVT move!!!!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Disagree entirely. Some holes are worse then others. Drafting a safety over Mahomes or Watson because Mel Kiper called him “the best player in the draft” should be grounds for summary execution. Don’t care if the secondary was also a hole.

My point was you could draft 1 or 2 of the BAP which would still be a position of need.   Taking a safety over a qb when you need both was stupid.

At the time, I was more on board with Watson than mahomes, but thats why I'm not a gm.

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not really true though. I was campaigning hard for first 4 picks to be offense, but there was a very large group that wanted CB and Edge as top picks as well. Many thought we should skip OL and go CB/Edge in the first or the ubiquitous "trade down"

That said I am overjoyed by the picks. In past drafts (even the first one by Douglas) it seems like we just pick whatever player we like best and move on.

This draft was targeted and precise, with a lot of luck to help it (Elijah and MCI should have been drafted way earlier). We drafted (outside of T last year) basically the core of our offense in those 4 picks.  It used to be said you need triplets to succeed in the NFL (QB, WR and RB) and even though RB is often "by committee" it largely is true even today. We drafted our triplets and left guard in one draft

1. Best QB in draft

2. Best G in draft

3. Best slot guy in draft (though Moore is more an "everwhere" reveiver)

4. One of the best RBs in the draft, who may thought was as high as 2nd in the entire draft and would gone before the 2nd round was over

5. The athleticism, leadership, speed for the defense with an emphasis on best "zone" corners and hybrid Will/S LB (Jamal Adams tole). Don't undestimate their impact

It was a brilliant draft

I was looking for that thread/poll to just bump that instead of creating a new thread. This draft has JDs fingerprints all over it as it should.  Also takes in what I think Saleh is trying to create as well just as you noted with point #5.  I think his D will have a lot of roaming defensemen with 4 down linemen.  Should create a lot of confusion as well as having a bunch of guys flying to the ball. 

Can CJ own the center of this defense?  I think he will.

Totally wrong ... if anyone knew what Maholmes was coming out he would have been what ???

That's right .... the BAP.

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Totally wrong ... if anyone knew what Maholmes was coming out he would have been what ???

That's right .... the BAP.

You’re making my point for me. That’s why you take the QB even if the safety has the highest grade on your board. BAP is a shield to protect terrible GMs from short term media scrutiny (“But our scouts gave him a 7.7 and only had the QB at 7.4”). BAP drafters don’t draft to win, they draft not to lose. And ironically end up doing a lot of the latter because they don’t know how to build a team — this is why off season free agent spending orgies also rarely work. BAP works in fantasy leagues, though.

• Sympathy 2

You’re making my point for me. That’s why you take the QB even if the safety has the highest grade on your board. BAP is a shield to protect terrible GMs from short term media scrutiny (“But our scouts gave him a 7.7 and only had the QB at 7.4”). BAP drafters don’t draft to win, they draft not to lose. And ironically end up doing a lot of the latter because they don’t know how to build a team — this is why off season free agent spending orgies also rarely work. BAP works in fantasy leagues, though.
Sure .. Mitch Trubisky proves your point perfectly

17 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Sure .. Mitch Trubisky proves your point perfectly emoji849.png

Thought this was interesting. Found a "consensus" draft board that averaged 24 Draft Pick rankings, and we picked 3 of the Top 31 players (Wilson at 6, AVT at 15 and Elijah Moore at 31. Michael Carter was #71 and Nasirrildeen was 92. So @ of first 15, 3 of first 31 and 5 of the Top 92.

Now media and "draft expert" opinions don't mean a lot but it easy see the amazing value we got in this draft. The exception to the media rankings might be Simms on QBs and we know what he thinks of Zach

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

we picked 3 of the Top 31 players

Well, considering we had 3 picks in the top 34 picks, that isn’t too far of a reach…. Right? I think it’s more about we got the type of players that we needed at premium positions and they were the top rated players at their respective positions. 

Carter was an ABSOLUTE gift from heaven. Exactly the 1 cut elusive back we needed. 

2 hours ago, JetsFanShawn said:

Arion gleen has to conceit with playbook and there D CB S

OK, you got me on this one. Well done.  Lost at conceit.  Someone else will have to crack the code.  Aaron Glenn is a humble man.

• Upvote 1