Any potential Jets trades on the horizon?

For some reason, I have a feeling Joe isn’t done wheeling and dealing this off season. I haven’t heard of any specific rumors but I’m curious if anyone else has seen or heard of anything.

While NFL trades may be uncommon, I feel like it would make sense for the Jets to trade some players at a stacked position (ie dline) for help elsewhere (perhaps linebacker or secondary). For example, I keep hearing about how Foley doesn’t fit the new system as well after he killed it last year and was a top rated IDL. A guy like that has to have decent value on the market… would it be worth it to trade him for a solid starter at OLB or CB? Or am I wrong and Foley fits the 4-3 well?

I have the same question about JFM… is he a another guy that doesn’t fit the new system after killing it last year in the 3–4?

Curious what y’all think… in my mind it makes sense to trade guys like this, as their stock is at an all time high and they may not be great fits. The depth at those positions is also solid even without them. If we could get a solid starter at OLB I think that would be awesome. Cashman can’t stay healthy, Davis has potential but sucked in Detroit so I’m not too confident in him… and Nasty Nas and Sherwood are exciting but pretty sure they are like 215 pounds and how much are they gonna hold up as OLB’s for an entire season?

I’d think he’ll be looking at the 2nd draft before trading picks or valuable players.

NFL owners just approved a 90-man roster to start training camp this year, source said, with cuts to 85 on Aug. 17, 80 on Aug. 24 and 53 on Aug. 31.

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) May 26, 2021

Teams will begin training camp with 90 players. They will have to cut five players after their first preseason game by August 17, taking the roster down to 85. They must trim another five players after the second preseason by August 24 and then, following the third and final preseason contest, rosters must be cut down to 53 players by August 31.

51 minutes ago, wediditjoe said:

For example, I keep hearing about how Foley doesn’t fit the new system as well after he killed it last year and was a top rated IDL. A guy like that has to have decent value on the market… would it be worth it to trade him for a solid starter at OLB or CB? Or am I wrong and Foley fits the 4-3 well?

I have the same question about JFM… is he a another guy that doesn’t fit the new system after killing it last year in the 3–4?

This defense is heavily dependent on the DL getting after the QB consistently. A guy like Quinnen Williams might never come off the field, but they’re going to have a steady rotation going to keep the legs out there fresh. JFM is a guy who can work inside or out in the 4-3, and Fatusaki is a killer run stuffer who can play DT or NT if/when they go with a three man line. It’s the only area on the defense that’s not really a question mark, and I doubt that they’d want to weaken it to potentially shore up another area of the D. I also think they’re pretty confident about how they’re filling the back seven, the results of which remain to be seen. But I just don’t sense any urgency at all at CB or Will. 

I feel the same about backup QB, I think they’re good with Morgan and White. I don’t know why the fans are so concerned about our backups having no live NFL experience when we all know our starter isn’t going to have any, either. 

Barring injury, I don’t expect any trades. 

• Upvote 2

Its not only JD.  Which teams are looking to trade off their payers at this time?  

Hard to find those teams looking to move someone at a position you need help at and have a need where youre looking to unload from.  Add in that there will be a second pool of players released that we can pick from and I dont see a trade in all likelyhood.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wediditjoe said:

For some reason, I have a feeling Joe isn’t done wheeling and dealing this off season. I haven’t heard of any specific rumors but I’m curious if anyone else has seen or heard of anything.

While NFL trades may be uncommon, I feel like it would make sense for the Jets to trade some players at a stacked position (ie dline) for help elsewhere (perhaps linebacker or secondary). For example, I keep hearing about how Foley doesn’t fit the new system as well after he killed it last year and was a top rated IDL. A guy like that has to have decent value on the market… would it be worth it to trade him for a solid starter at OLB or CB? Or am I wrong and Foley fits the 4-3 well?

Curious what y’all think… in my mind it makes sense to trade guys like this, as their stock is at an all time high and they may not be great fits. The depth at those positions is also solid even without them. If we could get a solid starter at OLB I think that would be awesome. Cashman can’t stay healthy, Davis has potential but sucked in Detroit so I’m not too confident in him… and Nasty Nas and Sherwood are exciting but pretty sure they are like 215 pounds and how much are they gonna hold up as OLB’s for an entire season?

jo dougles has to do good in 221

34 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

No way are they trading Foley or anyone on that DLine. That’s the strength of the team and a key to Saleh’s scheme. I hope they sign Richard Sherman 

Few teams can offer more $ on a Sherman contract while also offering the relationships that Saleh, Lefluer, Blair and Coleman bring

Not to mention a system he is familiar with. He can step into the starters role 2nd week of camp and be ready for Carolina

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

No way are they trading Foley or anyone on that DLine. That’s the strength of the team and a key to Saleh’s scheme. I hope they sign Richard Sherman 

I would go with the young guys last year Sherman got in 5 games at 33 his best days are behind him..

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I would go with the young guys last year Sherman got in 5 games at 33 his best days are behind him..

Never understood why people want Sherman here...at this point in his career he's basically a 10 mil dollar assistant coach or a depth piece for a contender.   If he can't get paid I expect him to go back to Seattle or a team like the Titans and try and get another ring.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I see us trading a conditional pick for a veteran QB. That’s the only thing I can see. 

I agree so long as it’s a younger vet with upside like a Minshew. If Rappapport is to be believed, JAX only wants a 5th or a 6th for Minshew. 2 more years left on rookie deal (6th round rookie deal). JD spent a 4th on Morgan. Minshew at that price an absolute no-brainer. Just no more has-beens or never-wases. Not for a non-contending team.

Really wish we’d be able to get Trubisky.

• Upvote 3

Don't think JD is interested in short term help.  2021 is about player development, culture building and letting the new coaches settle in.  Any acquired players have to fit into those requirements.

That isn't to say a trade won't happen.  Don't think it will be for an older vet.  QB would be the exception, but it's late in the game for that.  Foles could still be  a possibility.

There are still teams out there who have cap issues.  A cut or trade for a 3rd day pick is possible.  But it would have to be a guy who they would want to keep for a couple of years.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I agree so long as it’s a younger vet with upside like a Minshew. If Rappapport is to be believed, JAX only wants a 5th or a 6th for Minshew. 2 more years left on rookie deal (6th round rookie deal). JD spent a 4th on Morgan. Minshew at that price an absolute no-brainer. Just no more has-beens or never-wases. Not for a non-contending team.

Really wish we’d be able to get Trubisky.

If history is a indicator JD doesn't seem very concerned about back up QBs and kickers....I highly doubt he's giving up draft picks for a back up it's more likely he will sign a guy off the scrap heap for a million dollars.

1 minute ago, undertow said:

If history is a indicator JD doesn't seem very concerned about back up QBs and kickers....I highly doubt he's giving up draft picks for a back up it's more likely he will sign a guy off the scrap heap for a million dollars.

He paid a 4th rounder for a backup last season.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Few teams can offer more $ on a Sherman contract while also offering the relationships that Saleh, Lefluer, Blair and Coleman bring

Not to mention a system he is familiar with. He can step into the starters role 2nd week of camp and be ready for Carolina

Sherman wants to stay on the West Coast though and we cant offer that.

Not even close

1 minute ago, jgb said:

He paid a 4th rounder for a backup last season.

Good point but that seems like a QB he wanted to develop into a back up on the cheap....don't see him giving up draft picks for vets and then paying them.   If this was the plan I figure he would just have paid a guy at the start of free agency rather then give up draft picks and pay guys like Minshew or Foles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

It's a numbers thing dude.  We have too many good players on the dline.

4 hours ago, undertow said:

Good point but that seems like a QB he wanted to develop into a back up on the cheap....don't see him giving up draft picks for vets and then paying them.   If this was the plan I figure he would just have paid a guy at the start of free agency rather then give up draft picks and pay guys like Minshew or Foles.

Minshew for a 5th with 2 years left on his 6th round rookie deal is an infinitely better bet than Morgan as a 4th.  Even at vet minimum, Foles (and he will want and get a lot more than that) costs a lot more than Minshew. Plus Minshew is possible Zach bust insurance. Foles is not.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Minshew for a 5th with 2 years left on his 6th round rookie deal is an infinitely better bet than Morgan as a 4th.  Even at vet minimum, Foles (and he will want and get a lot more than that) costs a lot more than Minshew. Plus Minshew is possible Zach bust insurance. Foles is not.

Why would Jags make that deal? Minishew possible Lawrence bust insurance?

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

Why would Jags make that deal? Minishew possible Lawrence bust insurance?

Also surprised Jags would make him available but Rappaport is pretty reliable and he said they would move for a 5th or 6th.

All I can think is Minshew wore out his welcome?

this discussion shows a brighter side of things than in the near past.  think about what players are essentially untouchable and in my opinion there are possibly twice as many as last season.  this is a good thing.  are teams calling?  hard to say.  the nfl has always been pretty difficult for teams to move players.

16 hours ago, jgb said:

Minshew for a 5th with 2 years left on his 6th round rookie deal is an infinitely better bet than Morgan as a 4th.

Do we know this? Do they? It’s quite possible that they think otherwise.