Jump to content

Any potential Jets trades on the horizon?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny thing about the whole 'Trubisky is a failure' narrative.  The stats do not support it.  64% Completion %.  64 TDs vs. 37 INTs.  87.2 career rating. Let's look at just a few comps for c

Listen, if the choice were to use a fourth round pick on Morgan for four years, or trade a fifth for Minshew for two, unquestionably Minshew would be the better option. But that’s not the case here. T

I see us trading a conditional pick for a veteran QB. That’s the only thing I can see. 

Posted Images

If history is a indicator JD doesn't seem very concerned about back up QBs and kickers....I highly doubt he's giving up draft picks for a back up it's more likely he will sign a guy off the scrap heap for a million dollars.





Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app sorry about that
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, slats said:

Do we know this? Do they? It’s quite possible that they think otherwise. 

I think everyone knows it. Minshew has a live game track record of acceptable NFL-level performance. Morgan is all projections. Minshew right now is worth more than Morgan, objectively. And Morgan aside -- again, if the reports are true, could be Minshew's agent just trying to get trade conversations going -- Minshew is plainly and obviously worth a 5th or 6th.

I'm not predicting JD will do it, although I wish he would.

Probably the most likely scenario is JAX keeps Minshew this year unless a team loses their starter and offers a 3rd/4th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, Snell41 said:

 


Exactly, and he should have to live with that decision. In fact I quite hope he wants to, there’s no QB worth any draft pick at this point. Roll with what we got.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

First rule of NFL GMs is ABI. Always be improving. Sunken cost thinking is a dead end.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, slats said:

Listen, if the choice were to use a fourth round pick on Morgan for four years, or trade a fifth for Minshew for two, unquestionably Minshew would be the better option. But that’s not the case here. They’ve already spent that fourth on Morgan and, given their lack of any urgency at all at the position, I suspect they like him a lot. Unlike you and me, they’ve seen him at least practice at the pro level. 
 
Also, I think Joe Douglas would much prefer to have Morgan show well in the preseason and maybe be worth a draft pick to another team down the road than to trade a pick for a QB, himself. 

Can't disagree with any of this. I just assume every QB stinks until they prove it. Gotta trust JD on this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

 


Exactly, who’s an improvement worth a draft pick?


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

If you can really get Minshew for a 6th, only the ego of a GM who vastly over-estimates his own drafting prowess wouldn't do it. I think Minshew would be traded already if the price was that low.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Jets are waiting for a vet Qb to shake loose from their team and try to get one as cheap as possible. There are rumors of Nick Foles possibly being cut not sure about Minshew getting cut. I could see the Jets trading for a place kicker. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2021 at 2:31 PM, jgb said:

If you can really get Minshew for a 6th, only the ego of a GM who vastly over-estimates his own drafting prowess wouldn't do it. I think Minshew would be traded already if the price was that low.

If we just spent #2 OA on our future franchise QB, I don’t muddy the waters with a QB who will be a FA in 2023. If the Jets have committed to Wilson, then you don’t create drama before taking his first professional snap. 
Stay the course and build around Zach. So far all reviewers have stated he looks good in camp, puts in the extra work and is a football junkie well liked by his teammates. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If we just spent #2 OA on our future franchise QB, I don’t muddy the waters with a QB who will be a FA in 2023. If the Jets have committed to Wilson, then you don’t create drama before taking his first professional snap. 
Stay the course and build around Zach. So far all reviewers have stated he looks good in camp, puts in the extra work and is a football junkie well liked by his teammates. 

If Wilson’s trajectory would change in any way due to the presence of a veteran brought in for a 5th or 6th, then he ain’t the guy anyway. It would be clear from the beginning that Minshew is coming in as a backup. The only drama would be if Wilson sucks in which case, good thing to have Minshew.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2021 at 2:37 PM, Rhg1084 said:

No way are they trading Foley or anyone on that DLine. That’s the strength of the team and a key to Saleh’s scheme. I hope they sign Richard Sherman 

As long as he isn't going up against a door, i wouldn't be opposed to Sherman coming in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jgb said:

If Wilson’s trajectory would change in any way due to the presence of a veteran brought in for a 5th or 6th, then he ain’t the guy anyway

So you want to make certain “He’s the guy” by bringing in a guy who the Jags are looking to trade away for as little as a 6th to show their rookie franchise Qb that they have confidence in him. Got it.

So TL isn’t “The Guy” ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

So you want to make certain “He’s the guy” by bringing in a guy who the Jags are looking to trade away for as little as a 6th to show their rookie franchise Qb that they have confidence in him. Got it.

So TL isn’t “The Guy” ?

No. I want the best team possible and after 3 straight busts at the QB position I want bust insurance. Wilson remains starter until and unless he proves otherwise (or is hurt).

I think JAX would be dumb to trade Minshew for a 5th/6th but I can only go on what is reported. I do suspect that “report” is BS floated by Minshew’s agent to start conversations, though. It makes no sense from JAX perspective and he’d be gone if price was that low IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jgb said:

If Wilson’s trajectory would change in any way due to the presence of a veteran brought in for a 5th or 6th, then he ain’t the guy anyway. It would be clear from the beginning that Minshew is coming in as a backup. The only drama would be if Wilson sucks in which case, good thing to have Minshew.

I hate that worry against bringing in a veteran backup QB.  Cant have our young QB looking over his shoulder.  Its that same SAR mindset that still believes Sanchez had his balls snipped just by bringing Tebow to the Jets to play in WCO formations.  Forget that Tebow threw all of 8 passes all season out of WCO formations, Sanchez was spooked and then ruined

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jet Nut said:

I hate that worry against bringing in a veteran backup QB.  Cant have our young QB looking over his shoulder.  Its that same SAR mindset that still believes Sanchez had his balls snipped just by bringing Tebow to the Jets to play in WCO formations.  Forget that Tebow threw all of 8 passes all season out of WCO formations, Sanchez was spooked and then ruined

yeah I mean come on alpha dogs rise to the occasion if they go fetal and let the new addition mount them at will then they ain’t the guy anyway. Wilson is a #2 overall pick. If a 6th rounder cause him angst good to know he’s a jello mold now.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jgb said:

yeah I mean come on alpha dogs rise to the occasion if they go fetal and let the new addition mount them at will then they ain’t the guy anyway. Wilson is a #2 overall pick. If a 6th rounder cause him angst good to know he’s a jello mold now.

Exactly, if not more so for a QB who's been trained to be the biggest alpha dog in the kennel 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly, if not more so for a QB who's been trained to be the biggest alpha dog in the kennel 

Just weird how once a Jets drafts someone many fans are like omg we need to protect his psyche. Wtf lol

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jgb said:

yeah I mean come on alpha dogs rise to the occasion if they go fetal and let the new addition mount them at will then they ain’t the guy anyway. Wilson is a #2 overall pick. If a 6th rounder cause him angst good to know he’s a jello mold now.

I want my Qb focused on preparing for the Panthers. I give Season 1 entirely to ZW.

IF for some reason he fails to impress after having all the snaps in camp, pre-season and regular season, then I’ll think about competition next year. We’re not winning the SB this year anyway. JD is building this the right way

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I see happening is JD trading a late draft pick for a vet QB or trading someone from the crowded D-line depth chart for a late draft pick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2021 at 1:31 PM, jgb said:

If you can really get Minshew for a 6th, only the ego of a GM who vastly over-estimates his own drafting prowess wouldn't do it. I think Minshew would be traded already if the price was that low.

What does Minshew do for the Jets if Wilson busts other than provide a softer crash landing? What’s the point of giving up draft capital for that? There’s no way they’re going to turn to him to be their franchise QB, because he’s not one. And for all we know, Morgan might be better than him, anyway. No, it’s just not happening (which I think you know) and for good reason (which you don’t seem to get). 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does everyone have such a problem with JD spending a 4th on James Morgan? Do you know he's not a decent backup? The answer to that question is NO. You, or myself for that matter have no idea how good James Morgan. If James Morgan was drafted to be our backup, Morgan doesn't mind being a backup, then you guys should shut up. I know about your need to piss and moan about how they could have used that pick to get another WR, like you guys are genius GM's and JD should have consulted you before making that pick? Get over yourselves. That pick is long gone and you can't change it. I just hope James Morgan turns out to be a good backup for us for a long time and you should too.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I just hope James Morgan turns out to be a good backup for us for a long time and you should too.

I hope James Morgan gets some playing time in pre-season, impresses and someone offers us a high 2nd. He is after all a backup. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Why does everyone have such a problem with JD spending a 4th on James Morgan? Do you know he's not a decent backup? The answer to that question is NO. You, or myself for that matter have no idea how good James . I just hope James Morgan turns out to be a good backup for us for a long time and you should too.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app
 

If Morgan turns out to the latest version of Pat Ryan it will be considered a great pick. Only time will tell if this turns out to be the case 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I want my Qb focused on preparing for the Panthers. I give Season 1 entirely to ZW.

IF for some reason he fails to impress after having all the snaps in camp, pre-season and regular season, then I’ll think about competition next year. We’re not winning the SB this year anyway. JD is building this the right way

If anyone thinks Minshew is competition for Wilson then we need a plan B

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slats said:

What does Minshew do for the Jets if Wilson busts other than provide a softer crash landing? What’s the point of giving up draft capital for that? There’s no way they’re going to turn to him to be their franchise QB, because he’s not one. And for all we know, Morgan might be better than him, anyway. No, it’s just not happening (which I think you know) and for good reason (which you don’t seem to get). 

So… then why draft Morgan for a 4th? Excellent backup QBs are worth a lot more than a 6th.

1. I also don’t think it will happen 

2. Been taking the high road with you for awhile now but you just always try to get those personal digs in. Not going to work. PS: if I was Jets GM we’d have Ryan Tannehill  with Trubisky backing him up so… yeah going with my QB eval on this one. If you were, we’d still be trying to get Geno weaponz so we can “fairly evaluate him.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jgb said:

If anyone thinks Minshew is competition for Wilson then we need a plan B

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
       2020.                     216 327 66.1 2,259 6.9 16 5 51 95.9
    Career                   501 797 62.9 5,530 6.9 37 11 70 93.1   


Solid enough numbers to create a schism if Zach doesn’t dominate 1st half of the season. Better to let Zach focus and grow

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jgb said:

If anyone thinks Minshew is competition for Wilson then we need a plan B

Funny thing is when Minshew played he did pretty well 16 tds 5 picks and he won the only game Jax won last year the Colts who finished 11-5 last season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:
CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
       2020.                     216 327 66.1 2,259 6.9 16 5 51 95.9
    Career                   501 797 62.9 5,530 6.9 37 11 70 93.1   


Solid enough numbers to create a schism if Zach doesn’t dominate 1st half of the season. Better to let Zach focus and grow

Don’t get the best players because it could hurt someone feelings. Incredible. Not knocking you — lots maybe even most fans hold this view. Wasn’t the era I grew up in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Funny thing is when Minshew played he did pretty well 16 tds 5 picks and he won the only game Jax won last year the Colts who finished 11-5 last season. 

Minshew is a good player been saying it for awhile. I’m old and tired and I think it’s dumb for a team to go all eggs in one basket. Build the strongest QB room you can and if your starter wilts under the competition — well, see ya — you weren’t gonna be able to handle Arrowhead in January anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Minshew is a good player been saying it for awhile. I’m old and tired and I think it’s dumb for a team to go all eggs in one basket. Build the strongest QB room you can and if your starter wilts under the competition — well, see ya — you weren’t gonna be able to handle Arrowhead in January anyway.

+1 A Montana/Young QB situation can't exist in the salary cap era.. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Savage69 said:

+1 A Montana/Young QB situation can't exist in the salary cap era.. 

wanted Tannehill to push Darnold a couple years ago. Was mocked relentlessly… well, ya know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...